Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sniper

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Sniper Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sniper - 10/7/2001 4:42:00 AM   
FunkyMonkey

Have you found any use for snipers? They do little damage and have limited ammo. Are they just something fun to play with but with little use?

Post #: 1
- 10/7/2001 5:51:00 AM   
slehtine

Snipers slow enemy down, are fast and hard to spot. There are uses for them! -Sasa

(in reply to FunkyMonkey)
Post #: 2
- 10/7/2001 6:27:00 AM   
Jack

Make good scouts too. I usually set the range to 0 so they don't fire on the enemy. That's against a humane opponent.

Post #: 3
- 10/7/2001 6:29:00 AM   
Redleg

Depends upon the quality of the force. German snipers are much better than Soviet snipers during early years, for example. They see quite well.

Post #: 4
- 10/7/2001 6:43:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by FunkyMonkey:
Have you found any use for snipers? They do little damage and have limited ammo. Are they just something fun to play with but with little use?
They are great as recon troops, fast moving, hard to see, and they can cause casualties and add suppression to enemy units from outside their range to fire back. The occasional sniper will even take out a tank, if you believe all the complaints about that happening.
thanks, John.

Post #: 5
- 10/7/2001 8:26:00 AM   
IKerensky

Hum, those guys definitly DO some AWESOME DAMAGE. Keep them firing in ennemy turn , and if he got a squad in the open he can put up to 3!! guys out of action. They are definitly my best first line defender, in rough/forest/building, well hidden on the flanks of my defence and obvious attack. Their main target are all those MG crew and AT team they can fairly easily oblive. Those guys are great, I have 3 sniper in one of my japanese campaign that score something like 35 kills in 4 battle ! Just too bad that sometimes they wont survive really long. My personnal record is 12 kill in a row ( not bad for a single man ). -----------
"Medic, I am experiencing sever chest pain."
"Where that ?"
"Just there, near the bullet impact." [ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: Ivan GREYWOLF Kerensky ]

Post #: 6
- 10/7/2001 9:05:00 AM   
Alexandra

Snipers can kill whole squads - I've done it to the AI and had it done to me Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

Post #: 7
- 10/9/2001 1:33:00 AM   
panda124c

They are great for taking out MGs, ATRs, and ATGs. Takes a little time but they can be very useful this way.

Post #: 8
- 10/10/2001 12:32:00 AM   
nexus

quote:

Originally posted by FunkyMonkey:
as the other already say they ar great f. scouting missions. i found out,that british and german snipers even make good killing units,but U.S. and soviet ones are not hitting very good. can anyone post his experiences about that?? given quite similar morale and exp. values

Greetings Frank

Post #: 9
- 10/10/2001 4:35:00 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Gotta Love those snipers! Yea, I have taken on the computer and a few others utilizing snipers. I knocked down 3 people in row a few times. In fact, I have taken out tanks with these bad boys (mostly Shermans and Early Year German Armor). I try to use them as an impromptu scouts. They can move pretty far in one turn. The only gripe I have is how easily they are killed. On a few occasions I have had bailed Armor crews take out my snipers with Hand Guns. A bit lame, but ok The way I figure, most snipers spend months alone in Concealment Training. I would imagine they would be harder to kill. But let's not forget that whole "If your seen, your dead, factor Sincerely,
Mike Sansone
AKA: Chief Wiggum

" A teacher does not teach, a true teacher leads his students to enlightenment..."

Post #: 10
- 10/11/2001 9:29:00 AM   
GI Seve

I have once witnessed Wolverine loosing tracks to russian sniper . As snipers don't have any explosives on their disposal I quess he just put some log in to Wolwerines tracks (Finns did this on WW2 and yes that ain't really that easy either). Only problem is that it was plain ground where this happened so he would had to grab big enough tree trunk and drag it to open ground under watchfull eyes of US soldiers and still stay concealed! Boy what a super sniper he was! Ofcourse after loosing it's tracks Wolverine got mad at that sniper and killed that brave fella
But really I just think it's really hilarious to think someone armed with scoped rifle can take out tank P.S. It was on hotseat game with my friend and he was being russian and I beat his tanks so badly at first 8 rounds that he surrendered Well I can say he had really bad luck in that game as my tanks seemed to destroy his tanks with first rounds thus leading me also to believe US has somehow developed superior tanks without me even noticing... btw they(US) do have better hit % than any other country or so it seems for me so far... this though is not subject here and it has been discussed elsewhere before... [ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: GI Seve ] [ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: GI Seve ]

HallelujaaGobble!

Post #: 11
- 10/11/2001 11:21:00 PM   
JTGEN

Snipers can be wery effective. I use them mostly for scouting and slowing down enemy infartry. Especially now, as the Italian ones are not that good. But playing with Finns/Germans forexample, they can make some damage too. Best thing is though, when my 2 soviet snipers took out an 88 in the campaigns(ready one, can not remember the name) first battle. Machinegun took out the second, and gave my two KV1's some room to do a bit of damage.

Post #: 12
- 10/12/2001 12:38:00 AM   
ruxius

Snipers are very interesting and useful units..
sure!

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 13
- 10/16/2001 8:40:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Good Day all. EXCELLENT game this SPWaW, been playing since SP1. (Squad Leader, actually) I'd like to briefly recount a little PBEM recently where my SO Ski Snipers ended up as MVP.
The Soviet Ski Co (c. '42) includes a platoon of Ski Snipers. Probably an OOB error , but they come stock with the ability to fire 6 times a turn! These little babies were ELIMINATING 88 AT guns in a single turn. (at near max range, and without being spotted, no less) By games end, 8 snipers had collectively killed 4 88's (and a sizeable number of GE Inf besides. My German opponent was quite ticked about them. I've found that all snipers (except possibly, the Italians) can be one of your most effective units if you follow these rules:
try always to stay in improved terrain (rough, trees)
always keep a fair distance between yourself and the target (reduces spotting chance, and snipers seem to generate lower hit % when firing up close?)
And, most important: set your opfire range to 0 at the end of the turn (only take the shots that YOU want to take, OpFire is suicide)
Nay-sayers may want to take another look at The Sniper in this light. I almost always purchase at least a couple of 'em.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 14
- 10/16/2001 8:49:00 AM   
Redleg

I have a Soviet TOE that lists the ski snipers with the ski troops.
Redleg

Post #: 15
- 10/18/2001 1:33:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

I like to use snipers in delay or defend missions if i susppect the enemy is going to attack with better tanks. I keep my valuable core unit tanks on the other side of the hills and only show them when the opportunity arrives. In the mean time i keep snipers in well advanced positions with range 0 and good cover in order to know enemy moves. They are exellent spotters and i use them mainly because of that. Enjoy,
RichardTheFirst

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Sniper Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI