Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Funny. German SKI troops in Salerno

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Funny. German SKI troops in Salerno Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Funny. German SKI troops in Salerno - 10/7/2001 11:16:00 PM   
nexus

Just encountered some german Ski troops defending the beaches near salerno. Funny,or ???

Greetings Frank
Post #: 1
- 10/8/2001 12:09:00 AM   
brianleeprice

Yeah I thought it was but hey, maybe on vacation? I had bought some barges to get my first wave of engineers ashore without littering the beach with blown up DUKW's - it kinda backfired on me when I lost nearly an entire platoon that unloaded next to a fortified hex filled with ski troops. However they melted at the sight of my flame tanks. (visibility 2 amphib assault hehe) In fact I was mopping the beach head area clear when a stray 81mm mortar shell blew up Col Price's DUKW in deep water 50 yards offshore.
Ah well, I wanted to restart the campaign when 7.0 comes out anyway - now I have a good excuse!

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 2
- 10/8/2001 2:50:00 AM   
Randy

I think the ski troops are used the same as mountain troops. There was a post about this a while ago. Using the OOB editor I changed the name of the German Ski troops to the Gerbirsgjaegers. Mountain troops in the summer sounds better than ski troops in the middle of August!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 3
- 10/8/2001 3:09:00 AM   
Drex

They have snow in Italy, at least Norrthern Italy so ski troops are around and its not unusual to transport these guys to the areas where they are needed most. They don't necessarily have to have their skis with them

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 4
- 10/8/2001 10:14:00 AM   
McGib

In my British long campaign I encountered German ski troops in the desert!

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 5
- 10/8/2001 11:54:00 AM   
chief

Nexus: Maybe the german ski troops were ahead of themselves by water skiing the Straits of Medina and Dune skiing in North Africa, you know they were a very progressive lot.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 6
- 10/8/2001 12:35:00 PM   
Jack

I am in the middle of a PBEM game and I purchased some German ski troops, early or middle war 1942 or 43 and none of my guys have smoke grenades. Anybody else notice this????

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 7
- 10/8/2001 12:36:00 PM   
Randy

McGib, the Germnan 756th Gebirgsjaeger Regiment
served in Tunisia during 1942-1943. According to the book "Hitler's Mountain Troops" this was the only Mountain unit to serve outside of the ETO.
Hope this helps.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 8
- 10/8/2001 10:58:00 PM   
nexus

quote:

Originally posted by chief:
Nexus: Maybe the german ski troops were ahead of themselves by water skiing the Straits of Medina and Dune skiing in North Africa, you know they were a very progressive lot.
uuups chief you´re right i forgot that these waters are excellent for WATER skiing. and i stupid one think of something with snow. no one should say,that the gerry´s don´t had their fun in south italy... perhaps we sould put up a new unit named "front bordello" or something like that,hehe.... is "bordello" the right word for...you know what i mean??

Greetings Frank

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 9
- 10/8/2001 11:02:00 PM   
nexus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brian Price:
[QB]Yeah I thought it was but hey, maybe on vacation? I had bought some barges to get my first wave of engineers ashore without littering the beach with blown up DUKW's - it kinda backfired on me when I lost nearly an entire platoon that unloaded next to a fortified hex filled with ski troops.
yeahhh they were quite resonant against heavy shelling with ship arty. but in the north of the map was a hex without mines and only 2 or 3 units nearby. a perfect beaching area

Greetings Frank

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 10
- 10/9/2001 12:04:00 AM   
chief

Nexus:
Your choice of words is OK....by the way they used E Boats for water skiing and camels for dune work....

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 11
- 10/9/2001 12:30:00 AM   
Gen.Hoepner

...just a question about ski troops:why they do not show the number of men in units even if the option is on?
Thanks PS:anyway i also noticed the problem of not having the smoke ammos with ski troops

[image]http://yfrog.com/2m70331348022314716641664j [/image]

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 12
- 10/9/2001 1:25:00 AM   
nexus

quote:

Originally posted by chief:
Nexus:
Your choice of words is OK....by the way they used E Boats for water skiing and camels for dune work....

what a difference to the poor ones at the russian front,b.t.w.

Greetings Frank

(in reply to nexus)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Funny. German SKI troops in Salerno Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI