Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Books on US Army planning 1941-44...war buffs help!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Books on US Army planning 1941-44...war buffs help! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Books on US Army planning 1941-44...war buffs help! - 10/8/2001 10:54:00 AM   
lithium01

Hey all Wondering if you can help me out here. I am doing research concerning the American army's doctrine and decision making process from 1941-1944. Specifically, why Torch in 1942 Husky 1943 and finally Overlord in 1944? I am familiar with the predominate historiography. Brits were senior at that point and would not acquiesce to Marshall's France schemes in 1942. FDR needed US troops to fight Germany for political reasons in 1942. Thats fine, even logical but the US Army/ military had a funny way of insisting on a "Germany First" through concentrated force doctrine. Why did the Brits perceive Marshall as unprepared when he presented his cross channel scheme in spring 1942? I'd imagine if that is what the army really strove for, they'd at least present a coherent argument. Why did the US Army shift from the 200+ division plan to an Army that just had 90 divisions? 90 divisions would not defeat the wermacht. Why did the US put so much emphasis, support, and personnel (all the smart ones) into the USAAF...if it intended on landing in Northern France ASAP? Why were more Army troops in the Pacific than Atlantic as late as January 1944? Your own insights and any literature you could point me to (primary sources would be best) would help!!! Thanks [ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: lithium01 ]

Post #: 1
- 10/8/2001 12:40:00 PM   
Randy

One book that might help, at least give you a start would be George Forty's book "US Army Handbook 1939-1945." This book has alot of OOB info, but also has some of the basic mobilisation planning. It might be a good place to start. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to lithium01)
Post #: 2
- 10/10/2001 10:07:00 AM   
mikhailov

Some books that may help are "World War II Order of Battle" by Shelby Stanton, "The GI Offensive in Europe" by Peter Mansoor, and "Eisenhower's Lieutenants" by Russell F Weigley. To paraphrase from these books, by the end of 1941 the Army had 36 divisions, and estimated at least 200-215 would be needed. 37 more divs were formed during 1942. The Army numbered over 5,000,000 men, with 1,940,000 in the Army Ground Forces. In '42, the USAAF grew from 270,000 to 1,270,000, and the Army Service Forces grew to 1,857,000. In August, Marshall proposed an Army of 7.5 million, consisting of 111 divisions and 224 air groups. At the beginning of 1943, the Army halted the creation of new divisions, because the anticipated cross-channel assault was postponed to 1944, and the shipment of units overseas was behind schedule. The Army had to postpone, then cancel plans for 12 more divs in 1944 due to an increased demand from the air forces and supply units. The US needed some men in the production economy, a large Navy (approx. 4 million men)for the Pacific war and to convoy the troops to Europe. The Army eventually grew to over 8 million, but only 2.5 million were in the AGF and only about 89 divisions were raised. Alot of the manpower was siphoned off the the USAAF, rear-echelon units, and the navy. The Army had expanded greatly, and lacked qualified commanders, and needed officers and enlisted men to train and serve as cadres for follow-on divs. Also, the Army relied heavily on non-divisional units (separate tank, AA, TD battalions) and replacements to keep existing divisions somewhat up to strength. The downside of this is that with fewer divs, the existing units had to remain in the line longer. The Army classified their recruits on a test called the AGCT, the USAAF had the highest percentage of category I and II recruits (the highest categories), followed by the Army Service Forces. The AGF had the lowest percentage of cat I and II recruits, and the highest percentage of Cat IV and V recruits. Basically, the USAAF and the ASF had a higher priority than the ground forces. Within the AGF, the airborne and other specialized units had further priority over the infantry. The books go into much more detail, but I hope this helps somewhat.

(in reply to lithium01)
Post #: 3
- 10/10/2001 8:32:00 PM   
Rune Iversen

Another vey classic book about the allied strategic situation in the fall of 1944 is Chester Willmotts "Crusade in Europe". This book deals mainly with the difficulty the allied had with deciding upon a broader strategic plan (Montgomery/Pattons "Narrow thrust compared with Eisenhowers "Broad front"

Ignoring the wulfir
Fighting the EUnuchs from within

(in reply to lithium01)
Post #: 4
- 10/11/2001 10:24:00 AM   
Redleg

I have a book, "Strategic Planning for Coalition Warfare, 1943-1944". US War Department. Part of the US Army in WW2 series. Believe there was a 1941-1942 volume also. These may cover some of the issues you are interested in. You might be able to find it at:
http://bookstore.gpo.gov/sb/sb-098.html or similar sites. Redleg

(in reply to lithium01)
Post #: 5
- 10/11/2001 10:36:00 AM   
Major Ed

The book 13Z mentioned is a part of the War Department's "green" book series. There are 30-40 books in the series. Most larger libraries in the US have a set in the reference section. You can find a complete list of the books and a short synopsis of each at the Center for Military History's website:
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/11-9/11-9c.htm Hope you find the information you want. -------------------------- "In no other profession are the penalties for employing untrained personnel so appalling or so irrevocable as in the military." -- General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to lithium01)
Post #: 6
- 10/12/2001 2:49:00 AM   
Neil Stalker

there is a series of articles at the military gamer site - www.militarygameronline.com called The Great Crusade that may answer a few of your questions. The series covers the war from Italy through to the end of the war in Europe.There is also a bibliography.

Neil "Dingo" Stalker
Wild Bill's Raiders
http://www.militarygamer.com/raiders/

(in reply to lithium01)
Post #: 7
- 10/12/2001 10:19:00 PM   
Sunray

For most of your questions, read COMMAND DECISIONS, CMH Pub 70-7 Its free on line at http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/70-7_0.htm
Chapter 1 = Germany First
Chapter 7 = Torch
Chapter 15 = the 90 division gamble
etc ... Cheers

(in reply to lithium01)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Books on US Army planning 1941-44...war buffs help! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI