Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

An Idea!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> An Idea!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An Idea!! - 10/9/2001 4:40:00 AM   
Red Baron

Hi All Out There..!
Now it’s soon 1 1/2 years ago that WAW was released and that fantastic game has made a lot of great gamers come together around a common interest, but only here web space. Some of you know that I travel a lot around Europe and this summer I had the good fortune to meet a couple of those great guys - one on the chanal island Jersey and one in Sweden. And somehow that put a whole new perspective into this hobby of mine. Actually meeting people in flesh and blood is - when it comes to it - a bit more thrilling than only knowing them by name in the silicon world (Not that it sometimes is a nail biting experience ) I had a fantastic day on Jersey, touring around actually seeing some of the sites one only reads about in books and meeting people who can tell you and learn you new things and sharing common knowledge is IMHO great. So that brings me to what I actually want to put out in the WAW community. Idea: What about next summer (northern hemisphere) to make the 1st Annual SPWAW gathering..? I for one would very much like to do a bit of work to pull this together! So what I mean is that it could be held here in Denmark. Contense could be something like: Visiting WWII museums of dif. kinds, other WWII related sites in DK, related guest speakers, ect. But also a lot of fun, barbecue and just plain party!
Duration: 2-4 days.
It would be possible for me to arrange accommodation for 50-60 people to a very small price. Well, I know summer has just left our part of the world (I envy you guys down under ) But if something like this should have a chance to work out, it takes a lot of planning to be a success!
What do you think??? Good ideas are welcome, both here and on my mail: michaelnils@yahoo.dk
Regards..Michael. [ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: Red Baron ]

Post #: 1
- 10/9/2001 9:50:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

Great idea Michael! I'd be willing to help with the planning and execution of this great plan Regards, Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 2
- 10/9/2001 10:14:00 PM   
Grumble

Great! Haven't been to Denmark in a few years.
If I can make my leave fit your intended dates, I'm there.
Why not make it an equivalent SPWAW "Euro-gamers" convention not unlike that proposed in W Va next year?

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 3
- 10/10/2001 4:10:00 AM   
Red Baron

quote:

Originally posted by Lars Remmen:
Great idea Michael! I'd be willing to help with the planning and execution of this great plan Regards, Lars
Talking with a friend today regarding how many people I could find accommodation for, made it possible to upgrade the amount to 80-100.
For people who would be interested in this project, they could turn this gathering into a vacation for the whole family - wife, kids, dogs, yes even your old grandma ! Get a chance to meet great people and visit the country that gave the world Niels Bohr, Victor Borge, The Little Mermaid and not to forget Carlsberg Beer!! Among other things Ohh..BTW, to our US friends Denmark also gave the world Henrik Andersen, Kicker at New York Giants!!
Let me know if imp wrong at least 3 field goals the other day against Washington Redskins..
For those who wonder "how much would this arrangement cost??" Surely it’s very hard to say at this very moment, but if/or when there has been some amount of interest to this, I will try to make an estimate on the financial matter.. Regards..Michael. [ October 10, 2001: Message edited by: Red Baron ]

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 4
- 10/10/2001 12:52:00 PM   
skukko

Howdy Michael Count me in as a visitor. It will cost me at the current moment about 200 Euros. Not much Date? My wish: not in the same time as Roskilde. Please I ain't going in there but 150k people is, its too much traffic for my taste. I've been in Västerås in the beginning of the 7th month for a years, now expanding trip from Power Meet to Danmark would fit in. RockinHarry could come also... ?? Not a bad idea at all mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 5
- 10/10/2001 4:26:00 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

Originally posted by skukko:
Howdy Michael RockinHarry could come also... ?? mosh
Sure you know...really would like!
Lets see how bizness is going the next time.... ____________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 6
- 10/10/2001 6:17:00 PM   
Tonto Dane

Sounds like a good Idea

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 7
- 10/11/2001 3:50:00 AM   
Red Baron

Well, seems like some of the guys from the good old MCEF team is joining in behind the idea, then it just might be a succes

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 8
- 10/11/2001 1:09:00 PM   
varjager

That sounds like a good thing to do next summer!
Gothenburg to Copenhagen is only 3 hours in a car!
So count me in and please keep us updated!

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 9
- 10/28/2001 10:53:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Red Baron, your idea is wonderful, as I've been trying to organize a similar gathering for the eastern US in Charleston WV in May 2002. I've got Wild Bill Wilder as a definite attendee, so it looks as though the fans will gather, come hell or high water. Matrix fans of the world joining in celebration, what a unitary multinational party! Good luck in your European gathering, Red Baron!

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 10
- 10/28/2001 2:16:00 PM   
scimitar

Really interrestive... Take us posted when you can estimate the costs for the journey. Will that "meeting" take place into Kobenhavn? A gret occase to visit Denmark with my family...

Pour une dent toute la gueule!

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 11
- 10/28/2001 8:26:00 PM   
Red Baron

quote:

Originally posted by scimitar:
Really interrestive... Take us posted when you can estimate the costs for the journey. Will that "meeting" take place into Kobenhavn? A gret occase to visit Denmark with my family...
Hi There..
Really nice that more and more people is joining in behind the idea! Right now i´m working on setting up a info page - on this gathering - on my site. So as soon i have an idea of an estimate on the costs it will posted there ,and ofcourse here . To make the costs as small as possible, it´s the intend to let it take place at my wifes school. It´s a boarding school and have room for a lot of people - and it has closed in the summer time - It´s located aprox. 60 miles south of Copenhagen in some wonderfull soroundings on the country. But as said above, soon i´ll be ready with some more info.. Regards..Michael. [ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Red Baron ]

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 12
- 10/28/2001 9:00:00 PM   
Frank W.

as i haven´t visited denmark till now.
i would be interested,too. depends on my money and time will we play,SPWAW live seesions,too? frank

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 13
- 10/28/2001 9:37:00 PM   
Dave R

Count me in too Red. A great idea. I enjoy driving, so would probably drive there, going via teh North Sea Ferry to Holland. So if there's anybody else in the UK, or Holland who'd like the idea, I'll be up for a car share if you are interested.

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 14
- 11/26/2001 3:39:00 PM   
Red Baron

Hasn´t forgot about the project - Hope for you WB that KG hasn´t either - But work, design/testing on MCLV, PBEM, Tournament design, family, and just too few hours around the clock has prevented me in doing much on the project. But! within the next month i have desided to devote a lot of my spare time to come up with some more info...
Regards..Michael. [ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Red Baron ]

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 15
- 11/26/2001 4:31:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

Great idea Michael, I would like very much to go to Denmark, home of Carlsberg .

As said above it depends of course on dates and money. Any idea when could this be? Keep us posted. [ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: RichardTheFirst ]

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 16
- 11/26/2001 4:42:00 PM   
Belisarius

Great idea! Denmark's really close, so count me in! Hope I can fit it with my vacation.. (shouldn't present a signifcant prob..)

Got StuG?

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 17
- 11/26/2001 6:19:00 PM   
RichardTheFirst

Red Baron:
You can use the Fans site also to tell the news about the Euro Meeting

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 18
- 11/27/2001 5:00:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Baron, that is a long way from here, but if God blesses me with some money somewhere along the way, I'd love to make the journey. So many good friends on the other side of the globe that I want to meet personally. Keep us posted. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep praying that a way could be made to attend. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 19
- 11/28/2001 12:34:00 AM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by Frank W.:
will we play,SPWAW live seesions,too? frank
That is indeed a possibility. The school where I work have about 26 PC's that are able to run SPWAW in a network. Have to get an ok from the boss and have to see if the network is good enough. I'll let you all know! Hhhmmm... Perhaps we can play a small turnament over a few days with prizes for the top three players... Regards, Lars

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 20
- 11/28/2001 12:36:00 AM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill:
Baron, that is a long way from here, but if God blesses me with some money somewhere along the way, I'd love to make the journey. So many good friends on the other side of the globe that I want to meet personally. Keep us posted. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep praying that a way could be made to attend. Wild Bill
Wild Bill, You showing up would indeed be iceing on this SPWAW player's SPWAW cake! I hope that you will find a way to attend! Regards, Lars

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 21
- 11/28/2001 12:40:00 AM   
Belisarius

That'd be loads of fun! And for us that'll be licked in the first round, do we get complimentary beer in the bar for the rest of the night?

Got StuG?

(in reply to Red Baron)
Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> An Idea!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI