Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/27/2004 10:41:58 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

[Sorry if this has been mentioned before - couldn't find a similar thread when searching the forum]

Playing a PBEM as Japanese, I try to evacuate forces stranded on New Caledonia after a failed attempt to capture Noumea. The troops are stuck on the stretch of trail between Tomo and Basse-Poya (hex 50,60). My forward base to run evac-FTs from is - Gili-Gili (Luganville and Efate were found heavily garrisoned but Noumea appeard only lightly held, so I decided to gamble and sent FTs directly to New Caledonia - didn't work ).

The run from GG to hex 50,60 is looong, but the DDs with endurance of 4000 and higher can manage (they run dry on the way back, luckily outside enemy LBA range). I have evacuated a few units this way during the last three weeks of the game, but at times encountered strange behavior of my FT-TFs: Sent out from GG, next turn (2 days later) my FT-TFs are about halfway to their destination. Sometimes they are okay, proceed as ordered, pick up troops and scamper back to GG. But sometimes they get stuck at that place, not moving at all, and the TF screen shows destination hex 0,0.

Has anybody seen this, too? Why does it sometimes happen and sometimes not?

[edit for sp, as usual...]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 3/27/2004 8:41:50 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/27/2004 6:59:44 PM   
Gecko

Hi LST,

never had that bug before, but the readme for patch 2.30 says that sometimes an attack on hex 0,0 was initiated. ANSI C (and therefore C++) initialises global variables automatically with 0, locals aren't initialised and contain a random value.
Because of the former 0,0 bug this seems to be a bug, too.
Can't help you, but 2by3 should have a look into variable initialisation and if their programming paths that do calculate destination hexes ALWAYS lead to valid results.

bye, Gecko

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 2
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/28/2004 2:26:25 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

C, C++, initializing, global variables, locals etc. - that's all Greek to me. But thanks for the explanation anyway, Gecko .

Running another turn, my FT-TFs with destination 0,0 remain stuck even if I give the order to return to GG. If I change the FT mission to surface TF, the ships will start moving again. So it's a FT only bug.

Too bad, I hate to loose precious base forces, HQs and several regiments of infantry...

(in reply to Gecko)
Post #: 3
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/28/2004 9:39:09 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

I think I know what is the problem here...

You can only evacuate (or pick-up) units that are in base and or dot.

Your picture shows your troops on beach.

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 4
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/28/2004 12:04:23 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Apollo11, I don't think that's the case because I have picked up troops from that location in the few evac runs that didn't stall.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 5
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/28/2004 1:07:03 PM   
DoomedMantis

What map art are you using, it looks pretty good

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

Post #: 6
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/28/2004 1:41:07 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

Rowlf's map art which should be available at Spooky's web site. Look at the 'Mods' section.

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 3/28/2004 11:39:07 AM >

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 7
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/29/2004 1:19:34 AM   
DoomedMantis

Must admit though looking at it closer, Im not impressed with a US flag over Cooktown

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

Post #: 8
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/29/2004 1:41:30 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

No worries, mate. IIRC there are other sets of flag graphics, including the one with the Cross of the South .

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 9
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/29/2004 1:51:40 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

No worries, mate. IIRC there are other sets of flag graphics, including the one with the Cross of the South .

I always thought of this as being one of the deficiencies of UV. The Allies have one flag and one flag only for showing base ownership. Even when you substitute for it, only one country is represented. That green thing with the white star in the middle (which looks like it was cut out of the side of an American M4 tank) didn't do it for me, so I switched to the American flag graphic. I am glad to see that WitP changes this and labels things with flags pertinent to the country actually owning the base.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 10
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/29/2004 3:20:49 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Apollo11, I don't think that's the case because I have picked up troops from that location in the few evac runs that didn't stall.

Are you 100% sure?

When I order my FT TF to do "Pick Up" they plot the path just as in any other occasion but only if target HEX (where my stranded units are) is base and/or dot.

If I order them to "Pick Up" at some other location there is no path ploted at all (and they never move)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 11
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/29/2004 6:11:27 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

No, after checking my game and thinking it over I'm not sure. If I order my FT to pick up troops at a bare hex, there is no path plotted either (but you can sent FTs to non-base/dot locations the ordinary way with plots showing up).

But it dawns on me what has happened. It's a bit complicated - a few turns earlier I still had units at the trail and at the beach dot of Tomo. At both locations I had subunits of one Regiment that had been landed piecemeal. Now, I sent lots of FTs to evacuate as many units as possible from both locations, but I didn't keep track properly of which DD was sent where, so when I saw elements of the said regiment on FTs and at GG, I must have been confused which FT has picked up what from where. Most likely those fortunate souls have been picked up solely from Tomo. Mea culpa!

However, when Tomo fell, all units were destroyed, but FTs were already on the way to pick up more troops from there, and I'm sure these FTs are those who got stuck with destination 0,0 - because their original destination Tomo was no longer valid. So the bug is that FT-TFs get stuck with destination 0,0 when their pick-up destination is overrun while the TF is still at sea and approaching.

Anyway, it's no longer important since all my troops on New Caledonia surrendered last turn...

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the other 'bug' is that you can't pick up troops from non-base/dot locations with FTs...

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 3/29/2004 4:13:58 PM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 12
RE: FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? - 3/29/2004 7:31:38 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

So the bug is that FT-TFs get stuck with destination 0,0 when their pick-up destination is overrun while the TF is still at sea and approaching.

Good explanation... this might be the one other culprit/reason...

BTW, in essence, this is the same when you order your "Fast Transport" to do "Pick Up" in some HEX other than base/dot (but in that case the TF, luckily, never leaves so no harm done).

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Tech Support >> FT-evacuation - destination 0,0 ??? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI