Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hello, im new to SPWaW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Hello, im new to SPWaW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hello, im new to SPWaW - 10/13/2001 12:08:00 PM   
Flare

Hello everyone. I am new to this very cool game. I am into World War history and espically World War 2 games. I mainly play Day of Defeat which is a Mod for Half-life. anyways this is one of my first real turn based strategy games I have played. I have never really been into this type of game before. I was just playing a little bit of SP, and I can tell that its way over my head right now lol. I was wondering if anyone know any links to sites that gives some help to newbies on the different buttons and tactics to use while fighting. The manual that was given with the download wasnt that good, and it was in acrobat, which is very hard to read. and the tutorial scenios I just didnt understand at all. also I try to play the Mega Campaigns but it says that I need to register. I take it that it wont let me do that though because I only downloaded it off the site. so basically I am restricted to the scenios and campaigns correct? which isnt a problem, there are enough here to keep me going for a very long time. and one last question now.... where can I get a invasion of normandy scenio?

Post #: 1
- 10/13/2001 12:28:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

Hi and welcome! A Normandy campaign is included with the download. It is called 'From Utha the the Rhine'. It is very good! To play the Mega Campaigns you will have to order them in the Matrix shop. I think the price is $25 each. To lower shipping costs you may want to find out if there are others in your area who are thinking about buying them. Or you could wait for some time and then buy both MC North Africa and MC Lost Victories together. 'Taking Teutzpunkte 11' is a good starting scenario if you ask me. It has a little bit of everything, infantry, armour, artillery, mines, fortifications and infiltrators. It is however very hard to get a major victory. I don't think I've ever gotten one. You should really print the manual if it is possible for you. It is great to have on the computer table while playing. If you don't have a printer use on at work or in school. Or somewhere else. You won't regret it! If you click on 'links' you will see a section called 'Matrix Games Fan Sites' Those are great pages and IIRC you'll find Steel Panthers things on all of them. Once again welcome. Regards, Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 2
- 10/13/2001 12:35:00 PM   
Flare

ok thank you I got a printer, didnt think about printing the manual hehe. Guess its time to go kill my printer again, but I like doing that anyways LOL.

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 3
- 10/13/2001 12:50:00 PM   
Flare

I found fan sites. but none of them gave any help. My main goal right now for learning how to play SP, is figureing out how line of site works, and how I should place my units. Like for tanks how far away should they be from a enemy and same question for infrantry and such.

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 4
- 10/13/2001 1:25:00 PM   
chief

Flare: Welcome to the forum and SPW@W, don't get discouraged. Read the manual, definitely print out the Tutorials and play them, believe me they will give you plenty of info and good practice. Ask questions on this net and you'll soon be up to speed....play it cool and easy and you'll soon get the hang of it....Good Hunting

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 5
- 10/13/2001 6:06:00 PM   
ruxius

WELCOME !!!
Just play all the scenarios you find in the scen directory..that will be an hard training..then you will be ready for your first PBEM !
Good Luck...and enjoy how much SPWAW enhanced from SP1 !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 6
- 10/13/2001 10:11:00 PM   
Flare

I was just playing the first tutorial mission. I am done with my 4th turn. I think I might be winning. hehe I got a question now though. How much should I advance my vehicles and infrantry? My vehicles can move a lot further in one turn then my infrantry can. Infact my infranty is way behind and hasnt even attacked the Germans yet at all.

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 7
- 10/13/2001 10:46:00 PM   
bchapman

Flare, toward the end of the manual there is a HOT KEY list. You might print that off and keep it close at hand. Printing the whole manual is a pretty awesome task for most home printers.
Movement: Try to keep the infanty close to the armour. They can spot the enemy better than vehicles can and also take some of the smaller weapons out of service such as MG's and Anti-Tank units. If possible, load the Inf on the vehicles. Halftracks and tanks usually can carry platoons. To load a unit, move it to the same hex as the vehicle (hold down the shift key while moving units to occupied hexes.) Left click on the unit to load, hold down the "L" key and then click on the vehicle to be loaded. When you want to unload, just hit the "L" key again and the units will dismount. Once you play a few scenerios you will start to get the hang of it. It's really not that high of a learning curve. Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 8
- 10/14/2001 12:17:00 AM   
Flare

ok got it thanks! now time to print that manual hehe. /gets out his hundreds of ink cartiages because he knows he will need them

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 9
- 10/14/2001 12:23:00 AM   
chief

FLARE: Just out of curiousity, what version of game are you in? Also the tutorials that are of help are imbedded in the scenario list in game and are excellent. HTH

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 10
- 10/14/2001 12:25:00 AM   
Flare

im on version 6.01

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 11
- 10/14/2001 1:19:00 AM   
nexus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bchapman:
[QB]To load a unit, move it to the same hex as the vehicle (hold down the shift key while moving units to occupied hexes.) Left click on the unit to load, hold down the "L" key and then click on the vehicle to be loaded. When you want to unload, just hit the "L" key again and the units will dismount don´t forget to mention,that he can not load a squad of say 12 men on a vehicle whic has only a cap. of 6 men. flare: you must look in the unit stats for info on this,just press space bar for this screen!!! you CAN in fact load more persons than mentioned for the vehicle,but the game will ask you if you would to eliminate the remaining men

Greetings Frank

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 12
- 10/14/2001 1:46:00 AM   
Flare

ok cool, ill keep that in mind. I won the first tutorial mission by the way. w00t!

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 13
- 10/14/2001 8:37:00 AM   
Larry Holt

May I suggest that you read my SPWaW tactics guide? Its at
Enjoy!Tactics guide

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 14
- 10/14/2001 8:58:00 AM   
Flare

cool, looks like a good site. thanks!

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 15
- 10/17/2001 8:19:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Flare
To paraphrase an old adage: A tank without infantry support is a dead tank, and infantry that clusters around tanks are the juiciest of artillery targets. Go Figure
Anyway, that's the challenge of combined arms. Check back on this forum often - I've learned more in the last three months on here than I've picked up in nearly 25 years of simulation gaming.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 16
- 10/18/2001 10:27:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Glad to have you Flare! Try the tutorial. You'll get the feel for it after a short while. Its the finest overall WW2 game to date in my opinion. You have some great experiences ahead of you! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 17
- 10/18/2001 7:30:00 PM   
El

Yep, ever since I played SP1 on my 66mhz 486 I have tried several different strategy games but I allways come back for "just one more" german campaign . Being a moderately enthusiastic WWII and strategy gaming fan I was thrilled to get my hands on first SP:WaW. Great job at keeping this great game free. Btw does anyone know how to order mega campaigns from Europe(Finland) without credit card or visa? If you are interested in free WWII online gaming I suggest trying war.darkent.com. If you have something to tell or answer to my question respond to my email addy : ville.tiainen@jippii.fi

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make some other poor sob die for his."
-Patton?

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 18
- 10/19/2001 6:28:00 PM   
parusski

FLARE, you really should print the entire manual. To make that easier just be sure to enter your printer properties and select the lowest printing quality listed. For example, my printer offers the following: "Best", "Normal", and "Ecofast"-with ecofast beign the fastest way to print. Also, be sure color printing is turned off. As far as learning the game. I did not really read all the posts carefully. But if you start with the first scenario listed and then play each succesive one you will learn the game. The scenarios get more challenging as they are listed. GOOD LUCK.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 19
- 10/19/2001 8:31:00 PM   
slehtine

quote:

. Btw does anyone know how to order mega campaigns from Europe(Finland) without credit card or visa?
Not without, at least I don't know how. What I did was bug my friend long enough to help me here (wasn't hard). Only sending option was FedEx, but boy that was quick. They got some sort of materia transmitter, that why it's so expensive. I guess -Sasa

(in reply to Flare)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Hello, im new to SPWaW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI