Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How Many?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How Many? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How Many? - 5/25/2000 3:22:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Well gentlemen, you've by now about reached the place of pleading for mercy and another 10 minutes of game play before the lady either crowns you or feeds your supper to the pets How are you doing? I'm curious about the number of scenarios/campaigns played by now. The game has been out for...a little over 2 weeks. You started with 50 ready made scenarios and 3 campaigns. How many have you played, or are you sticking with generated battles and campaigns? I'd be interested in knowing, if you can quit blowing up tanks and tell me The Kurious Kunel ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 5/25/2000 3:34:00 AM   
Larry Holt

I've only played generated campaigns. While I enjoy testing myself against history in historical scenarios, I also enjoy the strategic decisions as to how to mold my force. I find on a P133, 128meg RAM, an AI turn takes about 30 min and mine takes 15 or so. Thats nearly 15 hours per scenario. I pulled myself away at 0400 & got up at 0630 today. This game is going to kill me! ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 5/25/2000 3:38:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Hey Larry! Understood. Sounds like we are keeping the same hours . Campaigns are VERY addictive. They will make you play just one more battle, one more turn. I know that feeling. WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 5/25/2000 3:50:00 AM   
Red Baron

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Well gentlemen, you've by now about reached the place of pleading for mercy and another 10 minutes of game play before the lady either crowns you or feeds your supper to the pets How are you doing? I'm curious about the number of scenarios/campaigns played by now. The game has been out for...a little over 2 weeks. You started with 50 ready made scenarios and 3 campaigns. How many have you played, or are you sticking with generated battles and campaigns? I'd be interested in knowing, if you can quit blowing up tanks and tell me The Kurious Kunel Well Bill, it allmost killed me that i had so many probs. getting this game running! But that´s nothing compared whit the probs. that i´m facing now..My wife just tolled me that i havn´t sleept more than 6 hours for the past 3 days!;-) As you said, just one more turn, just one more battle in this very intense scen. in this Marvelous campaign, in this very GREAT game. I know that i´v said it before, but it can´t be said to ofen!! I meen it, keep going!! All you guy´s have done a great job. Ohh BTW, to answer your question, i prefere a generated campaign so far, that is. Regards...Red Baron.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 5/25/2000 4:43:00 AM   
krull

Well I have tried 5 scenrios (sleepie) hahah and Eagles campaign but i also am trying generated mostly im waiting onsomingthing to get user campaigns working sigh nether generated nor user campaigns ever go to fix it up where you gpot slaughtered screen ahahaha But i pretty much enjoy it overall Still trying to adjust to hmmm how shall i say a OLD computer playing a great game haha but Plus i cant help but peek at new sceniros win they get posted im too curious

Krull

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 5/25/2000 5:22:00 AM   
Wild Bill

We are definitely seeking to improve the battle and the campaign generator system. We are working on it..WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 5/25/2000 7:25:00 AM   
Charles22

I'm enjoying the WWII campaign as Gerry. I'll be moving onto France for the first time this weekend, so we'll see how that front reacts. I piddled some with the last scenario that came off the original download; some airborne one. I didn't really figure out what it was about, as I'm not sure it had a scenario description. I was sure surprised to fight as the British and to find myself against Gerry and Italians both. As I say, though, I was just piddling, so that my not knowing what was going on isn't a big surprise. I was sure stunned to see so much airdrops going by at super speed though (I suppose that may have disorientated me a bit). If the scenario also had a Japanese force, I really would have been disORIENTATED....(alright, alright, dumb joke). Hmmm, as stupid and unhistorical as this sounds, and I'm certainly not a scenario designer, but would it be interesting to have a Gerry army, come up against a force comprising of all the allied nations? Or how about the Ruskies fighting against a force of all the axis? It would definitely be weird. Perhaps the excuse would be that you have interrupted a military parade of the combined enemy.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 5/25/2000 8:19:00 AM   
kartono

For me, I love the historical scenario / campaign and generated campaign (to train myself how to mold the different unit into one strong fighting unit) Yup, it really is, just one more turn, one more game Lucky, I'm single, man... at least the one that can be killed is my electricity bill and my sore eyes after fighting for almost 10 hours cheers

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 5/25/2000 8:26:00 AM   
troopie

I'm going to play some scenarios, the Japanese have wiped out my HQ and the campaign has ended. I must say that Col Kangleon and his Filipino boys made them play a blood price for the islands. And guerrilla engineers can still eat the J's tanks for breakfast and s**t them out before lunch, its the infantry that's so tough. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 5/25/2000 10:21:00 AM   
Spunkgibbon

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles22: [B]If the scenario also had a Japanese force, I really would have been disORIENTATED....(alright, alright, dumb joke). Ouch. You really should be ashamed of yourself.

------------------------- "There is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 5/25/2000 11:32:00 AM   
Big Joe

I've played the Eagle campaiagn and was about to start Tunis but I got back to my USMC pacific campaign. I think I took the boys through 8 or 9 missons so far and of course there kicking butt. I also started a British campaign in the pac of witch I only have one battle in. Over in the European theater I have a German east front campaign with 2 battles in. I've found myself playing very few scenarios I am addicted to the campaigns trying different OOBs and watching them grow and change through the course of a war. My marines are my favorite sticking with a raider Bn with some heavy support mostly satans and a few M4 blades. With the british I've a mixed force of Chinese, Indians, Aussies and British. This force should be neat to watch as its all Infantry! My Germans are pretty much the same force I had in SPWW2 a reinforced armour Co. with some mech Infantry for support. These should keep me going for the summer though my playing time is being cut short. I would definitly welcome any improvments to the WWII long camps, and of course always on the lookout for a good user made campaign...HINT!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 5/25/2000 12:33:00 PM   
Bondy

I started with the "Maus That Roared" by BGR - pretty tense battle. That main Maus never has enough shots though . Played it twice and 2 other scenario's ("Brave Men At Betio" by WBW and BGR's "Last Stand At Seelowe" - great scens!) to learn the C&C rules, then started a WW2 Germany campaign in Sept/39. The first battle was one of the buggy ones where no Poles showed up, so I read the board for advice, then started another GE long campaign. This time the Poles showed up, with Tiger-like tanks to boot! The 37mm AT gun could do nothing, but I set the AT rifle guys to a range 1 and they hit about 33% from close up. I was defending so it should be easy but I had a tough time - they were relentless. Lost about 1/4 of my units but held onto the objectives - it was a great game. I did better in the second battle against the Poles but still took more losses than I did in SP1. I'm currently playing an assault and it is extremely hard. I've lost many of my best units so if I win it will not be by much. I expect to play all the linked campaigns, and hope to design a few as well. The long campaign holds the most interest for me though, due to the role playing aspect of following your formations through the years. Excellent game guys. Paul Bond (BGR=Brent Richards WBW=Wild Bill)

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 5/25/2000 2:21:00 PM   
Brian Rock

I've started three campaigns, and bailed on them all due to making really dumb decisions that I regretted by about game 3. Like losing badly. Mainly I've been experimenting with generated battles and campaigns. Which is why I'm running late with that little project I promised for you, Kunel.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 5/25/2000 4:03:00 PM   
Dave R

Well it's taken me just over a week to play 4 senarios, we'll 5 realy because I had to give The Moment of truth two goes. The first time I tried going straight over the hill as the Germans and got royally reamed! One object lesson on how tough the new bunkers, mines and ATG's are! Second time I swept about the flanks of the hill, managed to win it that time, but ****! It was hard work! I wanted to send out a general order to shoot any surendering ATG crew on the spot! Still running the game on the old P133 with 32mb, so we tend to chug along, but plays fine. I'm waiting for you guys to iron out the bugs in the campaign system befor I give that a go! Just keep those campaigns comming please!

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 5/25/2000 5:37:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: How are you doing? I'm curious about the number of scenarios/campaigns played by now. ... You started with 50 ready made scenarios and 3 campaigns. How many have you played, or are you sticking with generated battles and campaigns? I'd be interested in knowing, if you can quit blowing up tanks and tell me The Kurious Kunel
Started with a WWII Campaign, Japs in East Asia, and had to fight my way through 3 visibility-2 battles ... didn't I mention this before? In the 4th battle the Brits refused to show up for their counterattack (did the Brits historically counterattack in 3/42 ??) ... mabe they knew what waited for them :-) Nevertheless, I lost a bit of my enthusiasm, as the I found this new(?) game as unplayable because of bugs as the old DOS version - it's ever the same ... it looks great at start, and works for some turns, and than invariably some odd bugs show up which take most enjoyment away. Nevertheless - Matrix Games is working on this title, so I switched to hunting bugs now and will be back to "serious" playing when the first patch is out ... Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 5/25/2000 5:48:00 PM   
mme

Hi, since release date I was playing every night for about 8 hours (my girlfriend is on vacation so I have to use the time :rolleyes . I am nearly only playing generated campaigns. I love this game! cheers, mm

derint dum metuant

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 5/26/2000 12:00:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Thanks guys! These comments, suggestions (I heard you, big Joe!) are all very helpful. I'm really glad you fellas are for the most part enjoying the game. Wild Bill ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 5/26/2000 12:26:00 AM   
Charles22

Dave R: Sounds like you have a need for sending scout infantry, sneaking in front of your force before the rest go charging forward. I have had a two-man scout unit encounter like 15 infantry type units behind a small hill, without being seen (with only two hexes between them). Which, should the enemy infantry had not later stormed out of that position, how would I go about flanking that small hill? I had noticed earlier, by a sniper I sent north of the area, that he had some infantry AT's just waiting for such a flanking attempt. I sent the sniper off to do more exploring, but it gives me pause, to think that I should write down the exact hex where I see some of my covert spotted enemy units, so that later, should the flank attempt be necessary, I would possibly take tanks to give the hexes some good ol' fashioned direct bombardment. Hmmm, speaking about scouts, puts this question to mind: Do the four-man scout teams have greater spotting ability than the two-man? Are four-man squads just as hard to be spotted as the two-man (I wouldn't think so)? [This message has been edited by Charles22 (edited 05-25-2000).]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 5/26/2000 12:55:00 AM   
grockall

I am using 3 4 man scout teams with 3 Kubelwagen MG's but wish I had bought 6 2 man teams instead. Far more useful I think. I did convert a couple of extra crews to snipers which I scout with as well.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 5/26/2000 1:10:00 AM   
grockall

As to "How Many" I am on game 13 of a Long Campaign so I've not had much time for scenarios. I am starting to play the odd small one in between campaign battles for a change of pace but only 2 so far Baptism of Fire and Draining Dyhernfurth. I am afraid I am addicted to the campaign though.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 5/26/2000 2:00:00 AM   
talon

I have played only two scenarios yet the real thing and Hospital Heros and liked both of them . So far I had no time in starting a campain but plan to try this next week . I would have played more scenarios if there where allready more covering the early stages of the war . That was also the reason why I desigened my first scenario Auf zum Ruhm this week . As I started deeper historical research on Poland this week I plan to design a few more but I would like if anyone else is interrested in these . I would also like to hear what somebody thinks on my first try !!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 5/26/2000 2:20:00 AM   
dgstokes

I've played 5 scenarios and I started one self generated battle. I'm waiting on the patch to start the campaigns. I tend to lean toward the European theater but drift into the Pacific on occasion. In SPWWII I started with the first scenario and began working my way through one at a time in the order they were listed. On SPW@W I've hopped around more. Yeah, those mines are boogers. It has been tough to get enough game paly time, many late nights, because of the hockey playoffs. Got to have my hockey. GO STARS!!! If my wife doesn't quit me, I'll play more SPW@W after the Cup finals. Great game, thanks to all at Matrix and keep the fixes coming. ------------------

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 5/26/2000 2:29:00 AM   
dgstokes

Sorry, one other thing. I played one of the short "mini" scenarios and I loved it. Keep these "quickies" coming. No pun intended, just staying on topic. ------------------

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 5/26/2000 3:03:00 AM   
nikb

I don't know where you guys get the time. I am slowly working through some of the scenarios - up to about number five. That is playing nearly every day (plus some lunch times if I can get home!). Looking forward to hitting a campaign pretty soon. That is if the "wife" does not throw the computer out - like she nearly did with SPI. Ah the glory days...its like reliving your youth again. Nik

Nik

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 5/26/2000 3:14:00 AM   
jmo1

I have played only generated battles. When patch comes out, I will start playing long campaigns. Well, I have tried also couple scens.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 5/26/2000 4:29:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Thank you gentlemen. This helps us in planning what scenarios to do for those whol do like scenarios. And we are attentive to the problems with the generated battles too. Again, I appreciate it...WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 5/26/2000 5:04:00 AM   
Guderian

I just finished Frozen Hell, did also Wittmann, Hill 621, Sluzk and Tulagi. Well since i have up here with playing Yanks then i'll just wait for any Brit/Russkie/Jap campaign (that was a hint Bill..) Note: i would do a campaign myself, but, a) exams incoming b) patch incoming. Get this baby bug-free and i'll start to make some stuff.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 5/26/2000 5:20:00 AM   
schmoe

I've been playing WWII Campaign as the Germans. That has always been my favorite approach to SP. I haven't been able to play SP for many months because my newer computers wouldn't load it. Just being able to play it again is great!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
- 5/26/2000 7:20:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Okay Gud. Look for a BIG Japanese campaign (you'll play the Japanese 41-45) 8 maybe 10 battles, Wake Island, Singapore, Philippines, Guadalcanal, and more (these guys get around)..I hope to have it done in a couple of weeks. WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 29
- 5/26/2000 8:58:00 AM   
Fabio Prado

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Well gentlemen, you've by now about reached the place of pleading for mercy and another 10 minutes of game play before the lady either crowns you or feeds your supper to the pets How are you doing? I'm curious about the number of scenarios/campaigns played by now. The game has been out for...a little over 2 weeks. You started with 50 ready made scenarios and 3 campaigns. How many have you played, or are you sticking with generated battles and campaigns? I'd be interested in knowing, if you can quit blowing up tanks and tell me The Kurious Kunel
Hi, Bill! Playing mostly scenarios - my favorites are: The Moment of Truth - 43, The Hill, Last Stand at Seelowe, and Wittmann's Rampage. I'm spending smoe time learning the SP WaW Editor to build my own scenarios (with lots of Tigers, sure!) Great work you guys are doing here! Best regards, Fabio Prado

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How Many? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI