Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IF ww2 never happened

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> IF ww2 never happened Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IF ww2 never happened - 4/8/2004 8:32:30 AM   
PeckingFury

What game would you be playing now? Just curious, almost all my games come from this genre.
Post #: 1
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 4/8/2004 8:42:01 AM   
Sarge

WWI or even the Civil War, Kind of wish that was the case would have saved a ton of needless loss of life and would be able to see something on my pc other then WWII games worth playing.

(in reply to PeckingFury)
Post #: 2
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 4/11/2004 1:08:46 AM   
EricGuitarJames

Interesting question. Apart from sci-fi themed FPS it would probably be 'Sid Meiers Gettysburg', 'Civilisation', 'Shogun: Total War' or other strategy games ina similar vein.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 3
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 4/11/2004 3:16:08 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: PeckingFury

What game would you be playing now?

Onkel Adolf's Sim Jew Extermination Camp.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 4
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 4/11/2004 5:41:12 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well if WW2 didn't happen at all, ie it was not merely deferred say 10-20 years, then it would likely also have made making models not happen for me as well.

I would likely be more or less a science geek. Strong chance I would be even more likely to be buried in a book and not even interested in games.

While it is easy to assume I like the military more so, actually, I am into planetology and space sciences a lot more so. It just doesn't come out in posts here as much heheh :)

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 5
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 4/11/2004 11:15:28 AM   
Muzrub

Being an Australian.........
Wake up every morning and sing God Save the Queen.....

Maybe play a few games based on the Empires wars while listening to the TV in the background featuring English comedies, because American TV wouldn't be our main source of entertainment. Or I could be off fighting somewhere in the middle east or far east or possibly Africa with the rest of my colonial chums defending the Empire agianst those sneaky militaristic Japs (or whoever) or particapating in some sort of student exchange program with Nazi Germany- Those Germans have a weird political ideals but who cares their the Empires best friend along with some of the other facist countries in Europe.

Eitherway we all now wear silver jump suits, have the same hair cuts and have no real idea what freedom is all about......We'll we didnt have the 60's did we- we were to busy removing comunism from Russia.... Thank god for the league of nations security forces for ridding the world of comunism.

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 6
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 4/14/2004 10:12:07 AM   
Besenwesen

I think no one, because I wouldnt be born :)

or like now Fire Emblem for GBA

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 7
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 4/29/2004 5:11:56 AM   
The Leprechaun

I am not sure that It would have been possible to prevent WWII.

To much happened for it to be ignored, and somthing would hae happened that would have started it. But the world would be a totally different place and Technologal advances would be back 10-30 years from what theyy are now.

In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis

(in reply to Besenwesen)
Post #: 8
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 4/29/2004 5:33:19 AM   
Ron Saueracker

We'ed still be playing board games...

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

Post #: 9
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/6/2004 11:49:07 PM   
marky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well if WW2 didn't happen at all, ie it was not merely deferred say 10-20 years, then it would likely also have made making models not happen for me as well.

I would likely be more or less a science geek. Strong chance I would be even more likely to be buried in a book and not even interested in games.

While it is easy to assume I like the military more so, actually, I am into planetology and space sciences a lot more so. It just doesn't come out in posts here as much heheh :)

lol

pretty much the same as me

Post #: 10
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/7/2004 12:45:26 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

It would also make this forums deadly dull if we had never had a WW2 :)

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 11
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/11/2004 11:02:51 PM   
Mangudai

I like space sci-fi too. But, in terms of wargames I'd probably play classical and medieval warfare, maybe some fantasy as well. Like "Medieval Total War", AOK, that kinda stuff.

I've played only one cool civil war game, and zero cool WWI or Napoleonic games.

Post #: 12
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/12/2004 1:23:20 AM   
Makoto

I'm assuming that people would produce other wargames. I'd probably be playing a Napoloenic version of HTTR (I can dream can't I?)

It is sincerity and faithfulness. It is self-sacrifice, duty, adherence to principle and unwavering loyalty to one's lord despite what the lord stands for, good or evil. It is an acceptance of one's place and status.

This is Makoto

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 13
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/12/2004 2:18:39 AM   
Belisarius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

We'ed still be playing board games...

My thought exactly.

No WWII, no computers. Or at least, they'd taken WAY much longer in the making.

Edit: But we'd be raving about trench warfare games and know virtually everything there is to know about how to place an artillery barrage...

< Message edited by Belisarius -- 5/12/2004 1:19:49 AM >

Got StuG?

(in reply to Ron Saueracker)
Post #: 14
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/12/2004 6:20:28 AM   
Mangudai

I like your new sig Belisarius.

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 15
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/13/2004 1:56:05 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

No WW2 simply leaves to many things left unsaid.

The US came out of the second world war much ramped up economically having had it's industry greatly sped up in the effort.

A lot of the world's past "way of doing things" was also thrown out the door. A lot of empires faded away too.

What would today look like, I defy anyone to coherently state that actually.

I only know this much. Humans would still be humans. A lot of tech would get made eventually. Not sure by who though. Not sure where center of economic balance would be. But I think North America was destined to be strong as far as consumerism is concerned.

Still, I think I would either be making models, reading science, or perhaps fighting out pre WW1 battles with table top miniatures. Because I am sure the guy I am, would have still ended up looking like me.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 16
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/13/2004 2:37:53 AM   
Mangudai

quote:

The US came out of the second world war much ramped up economically having had it's industry greatly sped up in the effort.

You think so? I think the US economy was comparitively great at the end of the war because Europe, Japan, China, etc were devestated. In terms of absolute wealth the US would probably have been wealthier if WW2 never happened. During the war people had jobs and what appeared to be good wages, but you couldn't buy anything because there were shortages and rations. Things like homes, automobiles, major appliances, etc. were hardly built at all during the war. Most of the investment that would have gone to civilian industry went to the war effort.

As far as technology is concerned, the war certainly sped up the development of militarily useful technology like nuclear reactions, jet airplanes, rockets, radar, and so on. But, I don't think the '40s saw faster technological development overall than many peacetime decades. The 1900's, 20's, and 90's were faster IMHO. I might have mentioned the 60's too, but who can say if the space race would have happened if not for WW2?

Post #: 17
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/13/2004 3:01:31 AM   
EricGuitarJames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mangudai

quote:

You think so? I think the US economy was comparitively great at the end of the war because Europe, Japan, China, etc were devestated. In terms of absolute wealth the US would probably have been wealthier if WW2 never happened. During the war people had jobs and what appeared to be good wages, but you couldn't buy anything because there were shortages and rations. Things like homes, automobiles, major appliances, etc. were hardly built at all during the war. Most of the investment that would have gone to civilian industry went to the war effort.

You could argue that a proportion of that investment may never have happened. The economy was pretty flat going into the war and as you rightly say, during the war people had very little in the way of consumer goods to purchase. However, in the immediate post-war period the opportunities and rewards for investment were considerable as restrictions were relaxed and demand soared. It's a small wonder that inflation remained as low as it did at the back end of the 'forties.

It's Just a Ride!

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 18
RE: IF ww2 never happened - 5/13/2004 8:06:42 AM   
Mangudai

quote:

You could argue that a proportion of that investment may never have happened. The economy was pretty flat going into the war and as you rightly say, during the war people had very little in the way of consumer goods to purchase. However, in the immediate post-war period the opportunities and rewards for investment were considerable as restrictions were relaxed and demand soared. It's a small wonder that inflation remained as low as it did at the back end of the 'forties.

True... The main reason demand was so high was that it was "pent-up" demand, which had to wait for the war to finish. IIRC one of the main reasons for the GI bill is that there would not be enough jobs in the immediate aftermath of the war. Also, building materials like lumber and glass were in short supply during the housing boom that followed the war.

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> IF ww2 never happened Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI