Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Strategic game of all time

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best Strategic game of all time Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Strategic game of all time - 10/16/2000 4:27:00 AM   
mjmooney

Ok I want some opinions here. What is the Best strategic war game of all time (computer or board game) My choices in Europa Universalis and World In flames with leanings toward the former(both board games). Both are coming out this(or next) year as computer games.. Oh yeah Pacific War computer game--Great job Matrix! ------------------ I HATE LONG LANCE TORPEDOES! [This message has been edited by mjmooney (edited October 15, 2000).]

I HATE LONG LANCE TORPEDOES!
Post #: 1
- 10/16/2000 2:35:00 PM   
SAKO

Hi, While it's been a long time since I've played any strategic war game, I HAVE spent countless hours staring at a board and fiddling around with hundreds of counters. Nowdays it's nearly impossible to find time for that, but I have a lot of warm memories of crushing the armies of a friend of mine, or trying to desperately dodge a powerful force controlled by my friend with my feeble stack of 2nd class units. After thinking this for a while, I think the 1st place is divided by two games. "Imperium Romanum II", I can't remember the company that made it, but it was superb!!! After seeing "The Gladiator", starrring Russell Crowe, I had a strong urge to get the game from the cellar and start playing. "Third Reich", by Avalon Hill, and "Advanced Third Reich", which was also a great game. It truly was a strategic game, where you had to take into account the actions that you were planning for the next season beforehand. The combat was quite chess-like, where you always won if you had a 3-1 attack (of course, the cost could depend on the dice), and on a 2-1 attack you had a slim chance of losing. I especially liked the number of options that the German player had, as you could attack almost every country in Europe, except Switzerland.

(in reply to mjmooney)
Post #: 2
- 10/16/2000 6:26:00 PM   
GulFalco

Empire in Arms for board and High Command for computer. ------------------ Men are cheap, but women can never be payed for. Napoleon

History is a lie agreed upon. Napoleon

(in reply to mjmooney)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best Strategic game of all time Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI