Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hello all...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hello all... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hello all... - 4/10/2004 2:42:58 AM   
Belirahc

Not exactly sure if this is the right place for this, but I wanted to say hello to the community. I have dabbled in strategic wargames, both physical and electronic, since high school. Recently, I have decided to take up the hobby again, especially since more and more strategic, turn-based systems are appearing. Real time is fun, but the turn-based genre is something that I still enjoy.

I have been reading Harry Turtledove lately, and I guess this is another reason for my interest in these games again. Alternative history peaks my interest for some reason, and with these types of games, one can explore how strategic moves might have changed outcomes.

I have one question to ask. What would the community reccommend for someone who has been absent from the genre for a few years to re-cut his teeth on? I am not a grognard by any means, more of a casual participant who wants to become more involved. My interests are the War between the States, WWII, and Futuristic.

Thanks for listening to me ramble, and thanks in advance for any advice. And once again... Hello all!

< Message edited by Belirahc -- 4/10/2004 12:45:32 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Hello all... - 4/10/2004 2:59:22 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belirahc

Not exactly sure if this is the right place for this, but I wanted to say hello to the community. I have dabbled in strategic wargames, both physical and electronic, since high school. Recently, I have decided to take up the hobby again, especially since more and more strategic, turn-based systems are appearing. Real time is fun, but the turn-based genre is something that I still enjoy.

I have been reading Harry Turtledove lately, and I guess this is another reason for my interest in these games again. Alternative history peaks my interest for some reason, and with these types of games, one can explore how strategic moves might have changed outcomes.

I have one question to ask. What would the community reccommend for someone who has been absent from the genre for a few years to re-cut his teeth on? I am not a grognard by any means, more of a casual participant who wants to become more involved. My interests are the War between the States, WWII, and Futuristic.

Thanks for listening to me ramble, and thanks in advance for any advice. And once again... Hello all!

Hello and welcome.

For turn based WWII I'd recommend "Uncommon Valor" if you have an interest in the Pacific. It is a grognard game but it's not a hard game to learn - only to master. The big plus side is that there is plenty of help/advice to be found in the forum.

(in reply to Belirahc)
Post #: 2
RE: Hello all... - 4/10/2004 3:10:39 AM   
tanjman

Welcome Belirahc

I too enjoy Harry Turtledove's books. If you like his alternate history Baen Books http://www.baen.com/ has a lot of good autors such as Eric Flint, John Ringo, David Webber etc.. also has a darn good forum.

For WWII I can recommend Pacific War: Matrix Editon and War in Russia: Matrix Edition (both are free from the downloads section) and can be checked out on their own forums. Both of these games are MSDOS based but are still fun to play.

For a more modern (OS) and complicated games there is Uncommon Valor (out now) and War in the Pacific (soon to be in beta). For more of an ideal what these games are about just check out their forums.

Gunner's Mate: A Boatswain's Mate with a hunting license.

(in reply to Belirahc)
Post #: 3
RE: Hello all... - 4/10/2004 5:32:14 AM   
SeaMonkey

Two suggestions Belirahc.....For a grand strategic turn based game of the European theatre try Strategic Command, the demo is available at www.Battlefront.com. For an operational real time flavor based on the Market Garden operation its "Highway to the Reich", right here at Matrix. If you want the traditional style=SC, but if you want to see the future of wargaming and are ready for a truly unique and novel system you gotta try HttR. Feel what it was really like to be a WW2 commander,....well at least its the closest there is.

(in reply to tanjman)
Post #: 4
RE: Hello all... - 4/11/2004 1:18:49 AM   
EricGuitarJames

I'd concur with SeaMonkey, HTTR is probably the best wargame on the market at the moment (not to say that the likes of 'Uncommon Valour' and 'Korsun Pocket' are not also excellent - I own and play both!). The 'Civilisation' games are always a good bet - if you're not sure go for 'Civilisation 2' which you should be able to pick up on a budget release. In fact, if you're looking to 'dabble' in computer gaming but you're not sure of what you really want check out the bargain racks in computer gaming shops - you'll find lots of games in different genres and if some don't appeal you won't have lost out too much.

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 5
RE: Hello all... - 4/11/2004 5:08:13 AM   
Belirahc

Thanks all for the warm welcome and suggestions.

Civilization has always been a favorite game of mine, especially Civ 2. I was not all that impressed with Civ 3, but I have not played since the release of the two expansions.

I own Korsun Pocket, but have not played with it much yet (only bought it yesterday), but I will look into all of your suggestions. I have heard of Uncommon Valor, but I kind of shied away after reading the reviews in Computer Gaming World. Even though it got a great score, there was also a warning that it had an extremely large learning curve. Now that you all have spoken so highly of it, I think maybe I will take a look at it.

Once again, thanks for the greetings and making me feel at home.

< Message edited by Belirahc -- 4/11/2004 3:03:40 AM >

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 6
RE: Hello all... - 4/11/2004 7:15:03 PM   
EricGuitarJames

Civ3 is worth re-checking with the new 'Conquests' expansion (which includes the 'Play The World' content). The full game is still better in Civ2 but the new scenarios and game modes make Civ3 worth playing more nowadays. Going back to 'Highway to the Reich', it's actually a major update to 'Airborne Assault: Red Devils Over Arnhem' originally published by Battlefront. A demo was released and if you can still find a copy to download its worth it to get a taster of the game.

(in reply to Belirahc)
Post #: 7
RE: Hello all... - 4/12/2004 4:29:12 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Look into Strategic Command from Battlefront, they have a decent demo for it too. The game is very inexpensive. Don't let that fool you though, its one of the better purchases out there.

Its a grand strategy WWII European setting, with a very friendly learning curve and a loyal following on their forum.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to EricGuitarJames)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Hello all... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote