Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Canadians

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Canadians Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Canadians - 2/11/2004 11:33:14 PM   
Buzzard45

Its the Bird Brain and his opinionated comrade taking on a.....(I used to know this) ......Oh Yah!! A Sailor(Arethusa) and a ...ah ....another guy. I think his name is Johnny Cannuck. Brave fellow...lots of hair.....(on his back)

They are old partners and me and the Pixel are ..... well..... WE ARE FRIENDS..... and maybe long lost brothers. (we are checking with our moms)

The Capt (Hidden Pixel) has the toughest fighters ever to put on a German Uniform. (okay it not a German uniform but it is an axis uniform) Braver than the brave these Finns. The Buzzbomb (in a former DAR) has the Rumanian hords, with a mix of both German and Russian equipment.

They face an alliance of Canadians and Poles on a winter map 100 by 80. 10,000 points per side. We are shoulder to shoulder with many units that won't fit on the front line. 2 and 1/2 miles of battle in close quarters. Ideal for the Rumanians and Finns. Not so bad for the Poles and Canadians. Watch for lots of Melees and knife close battles.

Hidden Pixel did the deploy with amazing accuracy and attention to detail. Ranges set for ambush and ..... well I can't say more.

I last saw the map where first contact was made. HP tells me that there is some action with a few of the enemy no longer reporting. That doesn't surprise me. I haven't looked yet but it sounds like we have the game won. Okay. we might to play a couple more turns but he instills such confidence that it is hard not to taunt the opposition.

COME ON YA LUBBERS. Do you want to live forever? Come on over for lunch. You be lunch

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO
Post #: 1
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 2/13/2004 6:29:05 PM   
Capt. Pixel

(Mom isn't talking - seems particularly suspicious since she hardly ever clams up.)

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. The sky is clear, blue and almost crystalline in it's chill clarity. The boys are dressed in their new winter smocks and the tanks have a fresh coat of winter camo. We are darned near invisible in the snow!

A couple of truck drivers mis-interpreted their orders and got a little too far ahead of the troops. The ATGs they were transporting were noticed and popped in short order. The smoke rising from the shattered Tatras is the only thing blotting the skyscape (so far)

Finns eliminate two Daimler Scouts and rain down mortar fire on the advancing CAPOs. (dat's CAnadian/POles, buddy)

A contingent of CAPO armor is located near the northern flank. The Finns make some small adjustments in the rear area, and are moving to intercept.

As far as setup goes, CB and I spent much time coordinating our setup and game plan. By my estimation, we have already won. (Taunt! Taunt!)

The first couple of turns result in a pair of trucks and an ATG lost vs a couple of CAPO Daimlers blown sky high and a lot of scared Canadians. (Or maybe they're Poles - it's hard to tell for sure, they all look the same from the back. )

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Buzzard45)
Post #: 2
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 2/15/2004 5:51:04 PM   
arethusa

The RuFinno forces get a quick start out of the gate by taking all the available VH's. However, a couple of 75mm ATG's are seen by CAPO recon and targeted by the guys in the black coveralls.

Whatever they took the northern VH's with was too scared to stick around though and they were recaptured by a jeep with narry a shot fired.

In the far north, some infantry units gained suppression without spotting anything and called in a AC, which did spot some enemy units but got hit by AP and another AC recon spotted a hidden ATG by presenting a target of itself.

Orders lost something in the translation from English to Polish causing a recon AC in the very south to move to an areat instead of target it. It ran right into the middle of a RuFinn detachment including armour, ATG's, AAA, trucks and infantry but miraculously, did an abrubt U-turn and scooted back to our own lines without a scratch. So much for the vaunted readiness of the RuFinno forces.

A RuFinn HT stumbled into sight in the clearing just west of the centre VH's. No idea what he was thinking of since if he was there, how far away did he really think we'd be? A near miss of AP sent him scurrying back in time to meet the HE rounds falling from the sky.

He did report where the AP came from and his gunners calculated where the armour might be next turn though since a barrage fell amoung our knights on tracks, but not before they spotted a HT armed with a short-barreled 75mm and stopped it in its tracks.

In the second turn, arty fell all around the map, most of it on the RuFinns. At least one RF ATG was put out of action and several others got dizzy from the effects. A few towed weapons have withdrawn while others patiently waited and watched the CAPO units retake the centre VH's too. They were too shaken by artillery to respond and are now surrounded. AAA and ATG units on a hill far back from the front were treated to HE rain but the RuFinn arty seems to be more concerned with plowing empty fields. I guess they're getting ready for spring planting.

Lots of RuFinn armour movement in the north along the road and above it. Several PzIV's have been spotted running to support his units up there. Maybe he's relying on his tens of ATG's to stop the CAPO advance in the centre? There sure are a lot of them, if you count the ones going east as well as the ones still headed west.

In the very south, the RF scouts are having a rough time of it. At least 3 pairs have dropped in the snow and several others are wondering if their time is soon to come. Yes, they did alert their towed weapons in time to get off a couple of wild shots but they didn't hit anything. They did give a good idea of their disposition though.

The RF's must have at least 10% of their forces devoted to towed weapons and their transport. You know, the defensive kind.

"Good military intelligence is worth at least as much as an extra regiment."

(in reply to Capt. Pixel)
Post #: 3
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 2/15/2004 5:53:38 PM   
Buzzard45

ACCKK ! !

I tried and tried to kill off those three Routed T34's but my Tough Romanians. Couldn't hit a one.

I might have to take them all back to train some more. What do you say Capt. P. can you hold the fort while I go get some range time in?

Even Lt Corepescu is disgusted. He hit his own guys. What we have here is a failure to execute. If anyone is left after this turn. I might just do that.

POGO

Post #: 4
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 2/23/2004 3:30:56 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Pressing forward, the Finns find some CA Engineers and give them a hot foot in the snow. Elsewhere, Panzers and Ski Troops are setting up ambush slots for the advancing Canadians. A Sherman and another Daimler bite the dust.

Our artillery is getting more road time than the front line units. We be shootin' and scootin' nearly constantly now. Smoke obscures large portions of the battlefield now.

"Smoke on the Water (Well Snow anyway)

Come to me, My Melancholy Baby.

< Message edited by Capt. Pixel -- 2/22/2004 5:32:25 PM >

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Buzzard45)
Post #: 5
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 2/23/2004 3:57:53 AM   
VikingNo2

Kill the Pixels Buzzbuddy

Post #: 6
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 2/25/2004 3:32:03 PM   
arethusa

I tried and tried to kill off those three Routed T34's but my Tough Romanians couldn't hit a one.

Three T34's were surrounded by the Romanians and seemed to be so confused by the multitude of targets that they couldn't make up their mind which ones to kill first, (there must have been more than 40 of them- relay that message to the ABP with coordinates) so they decided that the HT's, T38's and infantry must some thicker-skinned friends close behind and headed west into the sunset. There to join some of their friends and wait for the enemy to come through. Pretty much all they got to see was the smoke canisters that the RuFinn infantry popped to hide behind.

With the centre VH's in CaPo hands, time to start spreading out. There are open areas just east and south and woods to the north. Which way to go?

In the very south, a recon unit is looking for those tanks that attacked our AC at the bend in the road. Instead, he finally confirms where the 37mm and 75mm towed guns are that kept firing (and missing) that AC before he ran into the mobile version. Another message to the ABP. No road time for those boys.

The northern units are doing a little better. They didn't run into such large concentrations of HT's and infantry nor get dissuaded by a mass of hidden AA and ATG's. They stop a panzer or two and some infantry and claim more kills than they have losses. More messages to the ABP to route out some stubborn infantry nests before proceeding.

Just south of centre, we seem to be trading scouting units. Which one of us is trying to hide the most? There seems to be a lot of smoke there so I better get ready for a big attempt to break through by the enemy.

Post #: 7
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/1/2004 6:30:47 PM   
Buzzard45

quote:

ORIGINAL: VikingNo2

Kill the Pixels Buzzbuddy

NO NO NO. Capt Pixel is on my side. Kill their pixels. That's okay.

POGO

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 8
Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Canadians - 3/1/2004 6:52:14 PM   
Buzzard45

It seems that a bunch of PoleCads decided to jump all over my T34 that killed the Badger and M16AA last turn. It took four of them to do it but they got him.

A couple of PzIVs slid into the area and bopped another Badger and another M16AA. I wonder if the Shermans are brave enough to go after them at short range?

The south centre trees had a little action. A firefly and sherman came into the trees to take out a 38T and a few SMGs.. They won't be doing that again. The M4 is toast and the Long barreled one is about to abandon ship. There is the Achilles Platoon coming as a follow-up but their skins are thin enough to be beat by a Half inch machine gun. I got a few of those HMGs too.

The far south scout decided to a face plant in the snow. He'll be there awhile. So much for his reporting back where the ATGs were. I think the Polecad's arty is still running so I can sit there a while yet.

The Hidden one has a few targets this time too. Let's see what he has been up too.

Take it away Capt.

POGO

(in reply to Buzzard45)
Post #: 9
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/1/2004 10:33:44 PM   
VikingNo2

Well then KIll the Canadians then !

Capt P you owe me a game by the way

(in reply to Buzzard45)
Post #: 10
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/7/2004 5:45:44 PM   
Buzzard45

Crunch Crunch Crunch

Its a Staghoumd graveyard. Phhhh. 3 1/2 of them plus three flamers and 2 M4 chassis units. One with a loonnnggg barrel on it.
(the half is cause he'll have a little trouble aiming with a bend barrel) I didn't count the crews and scouts. That'll put a dent in the Roster. Adds a few more red ones.

Staghound

Staghound

Staghound

Badger

Badger

Wasp

Sherman V

VC Firefly

I haven't seen The Hidden One's tally sheet yet. But he had a lot of juicy targets. M4's by the score and most of them buttoned or routed.

Next time. The Achilles Heel.

POGO

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 11
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/7/2004 6:57:52 PM   
Maple Leaf

new guy checking in here - Arathusa's partner - kinda shy - especially now that I'm up here playing with the "big boys!!!.... it appears I have a lot to learn - not only about gaming but how to post/brag in after action reports...seems our opponents are a couple of "eyes in the rear" shorter than they were. They paid dearly for that quick peek...heavy artillery falling around the central vh's...is it hitting anything??

(in reply to Buzzard45)
Post #: 12
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/7/2004 7:33:02 PM   
Buzzard45

Johnny ?? Is that you? You changed your name. Maple Leaf is a cool name though.

So I hear that after you boil the sap you spread it on snow. Is that right? Then I hear tell that you pick it up with a stick and suck it. Is that right? I'm just a small town prairie boy. We don't gots many trees out here. But it seems to me that there is rule about eating yellow snow. And sap suckers. Well...?..? Hmmm? I gotta think on that.

Nice to hear from you. Keep up the reports. Sorry to hear about those Sissi squads. Its the risk they take. Infiltrators are always short lived. But then, who do think directed the heavies on your Mortar carriers? Then they ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch'em.

Never mind my taunts. Its all in fun. You just hasta do it back.

POGO

(in reply to Maple Leaf)
Post #: 13
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/9/2004 12:51:51 AM   
arethusa

The recon Poles in the south got planted in the snow. After going to ground from AAA fire, they got kicked when they were down by a Sdkfz and his band of merry men. Three Staghounds went out to even the score but they couldn't hit the broadside of a HT. The Romanian infantry started running for cover but that's about it.

Followed some Finnish tracks back to their source in the backfield and fed them a few rounds of 105mm. Enough to get their skiis crossed and slow them down until help arrives. Some serious doings around the centre and northern VH's and in the south, there just seems to be no end of ATG's and AAA's reported by our SpyPoles.

(in reply to Buzzard45)
Post #: 14
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/12/2004 12:55:49 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Good to see you on-line, Maple Leaf. Now I've got a target to taunt. That makes a Happy Hidden Pixel.

Sorry about the delay guys. I had a fuel filter crapout on my only car, halfway to a customer last Tues. Needless to say, I'm a little swamped at the moment. I'm going to try to get the game back in rotation this evening.

(I think my Volvo has been mysteriously immobilized enemy Canadian fire perhaps?)

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to arethusa)
Post #: 15
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/13/2004 6:46:51 AM   
mine_field

arethusa,
want to explain what ABP stands for? your partner and I are over here scratching our heads trying to figure it out.

Let me know how the battle goes.

< Message edited by mine_field -- 3/12/2004 11:49:54 PM >

(in reply to arethusa)
Post #: 16
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/14/2004 5:48:35 AM   
arethusa

ABP is Artillery Board Plotter. In WWII times, the ABP was the guy who directed the guns where to aim. He rode in a seperate truck which was parked about 50 metres from the guns with all the officers and radios.

The AB was a whiteboard, a bit less than a metre square, with grid lines drawn on it. The ABP put the guns in one corner of the board and the direction they were facing in the opposite corner. When known, he put down the positions of the FO's and any targets or registers. (Registers are what you guys call 'gold spots' in the deployment part of the game. The number of grids to the far corner of the AB represented the range of the guns. There were only so many registers for the guns because it got too complicated and used up too much ammo to set up very many of them.

When a fire mission came in, the ABP had about 2 minutes to come up with a firing solution for the guns. He gave the gun layers and trainers the degrees and mils to direct the guns but only one gun actually fired, even though all the guns made the changes. The FO would call back the fall of shot and tell the ABP wether to go 'up 100' or 'left 75' metres, whatever was needed. Once the #1 gun was hitting the target, usually about the 3rd shot, then all guns would get the order 'fire for effect' plus the number of rounds to fire. "Ten rounds, fire for effect" means that each gun will fire 10 shots as fast as they can, or 40 shells on target altogether.

All this happening is part of the reason for the delay of artillery in the game and the reason why some counttries can respond faster is partially how much practice the gunners had and how good the artillery tables were.

The tables were the books of calculations that the ABP used to work out how to target the guns. Nowadays, I'm sure this is all done by computer but back then, we had to do it all by hand. The things to take into consideration were:

the type of shell being fired (each type has a different weight, HE, AP, smoke, starshell, phosphorus, schrapnel, etc.) heavier shells went further, faster than light shells
the wind direcetion for every 500 feet of altitude in the trajectory (it rotates)
the wind speed for every 500 feet of altitude.
the altitude of the guns
the altitude of the target
the altitude of anything between the guns and the target
the number of rounds fired in the past 15 minutes (hot barrels expand and change the muzzle velocity)
the number of rounds fired for the life of the gun (worn barrels decrease the muzzle velocity)
the TOT or Time On Target (to calculate the effects of all the above)
the number of rotations of the shell in flight (like a golf ball it veers slightly to the right)
TOT gives you a time to set on the fuse for starshell and schrapnel (you want them both to explode at a specific altitude for maximum effect)

The artillery board itself was a blank grid for a few reasons. First of all, if captured, it gives the enemy almost no information but more importantly, it could be used anywhere unlike a map where once you move to a different location, the map's no good any more. As long as you knew the distance and direction to your FO, everything else could be figured out from there. It was also a lot easier to keep a white board working in the rain or under fire than using a map.

I'm sure there were other calculations we made but those are all the ones I remember at the moment. It gives you an idea anyway. There's a lot more to it than point and shoot. And without an ABP, the guns are just expensive paperweights.

(in reply to mine_field)
Post #: 17
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/14/2004 11:28:34 PM   
Capt. Pixel

There ya go, Mine_Field. Now you know more than you need. (actually Arethusa is my opponent)

My Dear Capt. Buzzard,

Please add (2) Sherman I, a VC Firefly, an AEC MkIII and a jeep to your kill list.
It's my opinion that the War of Attrition is turning our way.
Finnish losses this turn: 0

We've lost contact temporarily with their Arty Park. Expect the situation to be resolved in short order. Where there's one Sissi, there's gonna be more.

Regards,
Capt. Pixel

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to arethusa)
Post #: 18
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/19/2004 3:34:16 AM   
Maple Leaf

After some earlier success - the Canucks have taken a few loses. The Red Ensign is proudly on display at the centre and northern VH's - we suspect the Finny's may want to change that - that's up to them. We'll be waiting

Post #: 19
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/19/2004 3:39:13 PM   
arethusa

There's so much AT and AAA fire that it's impossible for the Polish AC's to take revenge for their fallen scouts. They do manage to pounce on the infantry group that finished off the crewmen who abandoned another AC that ran afoul of a squad of Romanian MBT's. The MBT's were fortunately gone but had been replaced by a team of light recon tanks. One was destroyed and the other abandoned. The crew was quickly dealt with but again there's too much AT fire to be able to go out and disable the workings of the tank. At least it won't be used against us again.

(in reply to Maple Leaf)
Post #: 20
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 3/27/2004 6:55:49 AM   
Capt. Pixel

ATGs and AAAs are the least of your worries in the North.

Capt. Buzzard

Please add the following to your Kill List:

VC Firefly x2 (plus one more during OpFire that I know of)
Sherman V x2
Sherman I x3
Daimler x1
Jeep x1
3in Mortar HT x2 (hehe - Sissi squads wreak havoc in the arty park)

Armored platoon advancing in the north has been eliminated.
Armor overwatching northern road has been eliminated or driven off. Infantry remain, but their heavily suppressed by mortar fire.)

(Side note: I WAS able to access Reinforcements. However, I have no problem passing on them, if it's agreeable to all parties.)

Crouching Buzzard has the turn - Lay Waste to the Poladians!!

- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to arethusa)
Post #: 21
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 4/11/2004 6:32:24 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Two weeks and no action?

Whassup guys?

- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 22
RE: Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Ca... - 4/11/2004 5:31:46 PM   
Buzzard45

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Pixel

Two weeks and no action?

Whassup guys?

Its my fault. I have been too busy with the moving plans and preparations for the territory changeover. I am transferred to a new territory effective May 1. I have been running my replacements around and doing touch ups on the house getting it ready for sale. I'm afraid it'll be another month or two before time permits a continuation, maybe not until winter. If you'd like to find a repalcement for me, please do.

Also with the lack of replay, I'm not sure that we shouldn't abandon this game and either start over or change partners or something. Its too hard go back to the SP1 method of playing blind.

POGO

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Crouching Buzzard - Hidden Pixel vs A couple of Canadians Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI