Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PO'ed by crash

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> PO'ed by crash Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PO'ed by crash - 4/14/2004 12:24:19 PM   
maniacalmonkey

[rant]

I need to blow off some steam...

Allright, here I am, happily going about my business of fighting the Stalingrad SP campaign. My neat kampfgruppe has so far managed to do quite well in the first two battles and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. The third mission is sizeable - a sweeping tank battle on almost regimental scale, with several routes of apporach, different objectives, and lots of auxiliaries.

So there I go, plot my assault routes, pre-sight my artillery, send out recon, knock out a whole company of Soviet light tanks in two turns (fools!), advance towards the town, dodge AT-gun fire, set up firing lines on the central hill to pound Ivan's heavies moving up, get scared ****less by some KV1's popping up on my flank and rush 88's up to ambush them after they break through the light flank guard. All is going well - the battle is tense but I'm gaining a lot of ground, capturing VH's and achieving a kill ratio in armor that must be 5:1 if not better.

But then, I bump into an enemy I cannot smite.

With an audible "pop" the game shuts down and I'm staring at my desktop icons. No error report, no beeps or warning signs, just "pop" and that's it.

Of course I hadn't saved in-game because I like the excitement and tension of reacting to the unexpected. Not saving forces me to work with what the game throws at me and removes even the slightest temption to reload back a turn or two and anticipate that ambush I just stumbled into. Plus, when a battle is tense, it is SO easy to forget to save after every turn

For this same reason I now don't feel like starting the mission over again - I already know where Ivan is and where he isn't, and where he will be later. The surprise is gone, a perfectly good battle ruined. Bah!

I'll sign a petition for an autosave feature in SP:WAW

[/rant]

When cities burn and armies turn,
and flee in disarray,
Cowards will cry 'tis best to fly
and fight another day,
But warriors know it in their marrow when they
die and fall,
It is better to have fought and lost than not have
fought at all.
Post #: 1
RE: PO'ed by crash - 4/15/2004 4:15:25 AM   
BruceAZ

I think this has happened to me (and others) before. This may not make you feel better but a computer wizard at my office told me this problem has to do with my "computer resources" and using them up to a point where the game crashes. Other than buying a new Dell, she suggested I upgrade my RAM and CPU. I did this and it has stopped. I don't know if this will help but I sure can relate! As a saftey precaution, I save every turn and if the game crashes, I don't lose the whole battle - just a 1/2 turn.

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to maniacalmonkey)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> PO'ed by crash Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI