Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaign Wierdness

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Campaign Wierdness Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaign Wierdness - 10/29/2001 12:32:00 PM   
Coyotebd

I was playing the Campaign Generator. I switched the time to 1939. I was playing as Canadians vs Germans. I choose 700 or so points of core force because that's the size I wanted. I was given NO Support points. My first mission was an assault. For some reason ALL of my infantry type units started entrenched (with sandbags around them) I took ALL of the objectives without any resistance, then was attacked by all of the Jerry force at one objective. They slaughtered the two Mk VIbs I sent up there to take the objectives (since there was no resistance) I pounded them with my mortar and 25pdrs and was sending my infantry up when the game ended at a draw, though I controlled all but 4 objectives and had 2x as many points as the computer. What is happening?

Tyler "Coyote" Provick
A Coy, VRHC
members.home.net/vrhc
WWII Online: Blitzkrieg
www.wwiionline.com
Post #: 1
- 10/29/2001 6:44:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Coyotebd:
I was playing the Campaign Generator. I switched the time to 1939. I was playing as Canadians vs Germans. I choose 700 or so points of core force because that's the size I wanted. I was given NO Support points. My first mission was an assault. For some reason ALL of my infantry type units started entrenched (with sandbags around them) I took ALL of the objectives without any resistance, then was attacked by all of the Jerry force at one objective. They slaughtered the two Mk VIbs I sent up there to take the objectives (since there was no resistance) I pounded them with my mortar and 25pdrs and was sending my infantry up when the game ended at a draw, though I controlled all but 4 objectives and had 2x as many points as the computer. What is happening?
You will be happy to have your troops in entrenchments when the ai has enough points to start throwing aircraft at you. Remember if the enemy had enough time to dig in so did your troops. If you only had 700 points, then the ai had perhaps 350 for normal or 175 for easy. No wonder they only defended one area, if they only had part of an infantry company, which is their first purchase in a defend against assault. If you only got a 2-1 point margin that is a draw vs the ai, you need 3-1 for a marginal or 6-1 for a decisive. At that low point level, a few less arty and a few more fast vehicles like Armored cars for grabbing vic hexes would be advisable. Even on a small map, the ai will have trouble defending with that small a force, so the way to beat it is by moving to grab vic hexes, not by combat.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Coyotebd)
Post #: 2
- 10/29/2001 10:32:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

I think the 0 point buy is from not rebooting between stopping one game and starting another .. it shouldn't happen if you continue into a second game in a campaign series .. but if you were playing a totaly different campaign or generated battle ..then stoped and started another campaign this somethimes happens if you don't reboot ...

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to Coyotebd)
Post #: 3
- 10/29/2001 10:42:00 PM   
Larry Holt

I fully concur with the previous reply. On a positive note, the AIP employed a strategy that was appropriate to its capabilities, was challenging to a human opponent and not predictable. And who says the AIP is brain dead?

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Coyotebd)
Post #: 4
- 10/30/2001 11:19:00 AM   
Coyotebd

Actually, their trick was VERY good tactics IMO They waited to attack until I had the furthest victory hex on the map. They were able to attack with a very condensed force, infantry taking out my tanks within 1-2 turns and suffering very little casualties. Then I started throwing the rest of my force piecemeal at them. In the rush to take out the annoyance I was running infantry and tanks to full movement allowance. The AI (if it had the points) could have then thrown another largish force on the biggest objectives in a counter-attack. If possible a scout team could zip and grab the other objectives. It was essentially a well-planned ambush, very similar to the tactics used by the Germans around Caen. They would hide in a farmhouse and not fire on approaching infantry until they had passed. The MG fire from the rear would scatter most sections. They would also pull out of fortifications during arty barrages, then re-occupy them in time for the assault. But you probably already knew that. It was odd, because I had saved the game during deployment and left it, then fought that battle and was about to start another and it had 0 support as well. Maybe I took too few points? I like having a small force because I'm fairly new to wargames and find it hard to track many units at once. I prefer smaller forces were you have to get by with what you can scrape together and longer games. I guess that comes from playing World War II Online: Blitzkrieg. I play mostly as a british rifleman, going up against 2-3 pzIIIs and scattered infantry with an A13 (if on an advance) or QF 2lber with 4-5 infantry buddies. Sure we often get chewed up, but I'd rather then that and play as Germans like all the other Quankers. BTW, for those that don't know, WWIIOL: Blitzkrieg is a MMORPG (like Everquest) except set in WWII (currently 1939 (hence my choice for starting date, though there were no Canadians around at the time)) that is basically a combination First Person Shooter, Tank Sim, Naval Sim, Air Sim and Real Time wargame all in one. It's rough, but you can see where it's going. It's what got me into Steel Panthers: World at War, and what will get me into the Mega Campaigns once I get better at the plain game.

Tyler "Coyote" Provick
A Coy, VRHC
members.home.net/vrhc
WWII Online: Blitzkrieg
www.wwiionline.com

(in reply to Coyotebd)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Campaign Wierdness Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI