Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PC Game Console!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> PC Game Console!!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 8:12:37 AM   
Marines

Several companies have announced that they will build a PC gaming console to be released in late 2004. This proves once and for all that PC gamers won the battle between whos best.

Check it out: http://www.discoverconsole.com
Post #: 1
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 8:45:37 AM   
benpark

About time.

Marines-the link didn't work. Not sure if the site was down, though.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to Marines)
Post #: 2
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 8:57:12 AM   
Marines

Works when I hit it.

Semper Fi

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 3
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 4:03:34 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Eeeewwwwwwww now that's what I call competition :)

But the important things will be price and game quality.

Oh the link worked for me as well.

When the arguing is all over, console games, for whatever their worth, are never basically games I would even play for free.

Now if they made wargames (actual wargames, ok games that like like say Strategic Command), a lot more often for console, I might give a hoot.

I play exclusively PC design games simply because they are only made for PC basically.

Steel Panthers, Close Combat, Strategic Command, HTTR, Korsun Pocket, Squad Assault, Panzer General, Panzer Elite, Operational Art of War, Squad Battles, Panzer Campaigns, Campaign Series, these are all games I call wargames.
Every now and then a console gets a rare stab at these. I know that Alied General was a PS1 game once. Pity they don't occasionally re release console games capable of playing on new platforms eh.

One thing I am curious about though. A common hassle with older games seems to be resolution. Would my 27 inch TV have trouble playing a game designed for a 14 inch monitor? I often hated console versions simply because the clarity on the TV was crummy.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Marines)
Post #: 4
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 4:16:45 PM   
Marines

The web site explains it. As for the price same as the XBOX when it first came out, $399.

Semper Fi

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 5
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 6:25:03 PM   
Von Rom

It looks interesting, but there are several things the makers of this new system seem to have overlooked:

1) Large computer monitors (I use a 19" one) almost make using the TV redundant.

2) Most computer games require patches to run properly. How would this work on this TV console?

3) Most good computer games are heavily modded. Most games I play I will usually mod. But with this TV console, you will only be able to use the vanilla game version.

4) Finally, aren't there video cards that have computer to TV capability?

Cheers!

(in reply to Marines)
Post #: 6
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 6:37:42 PM   
Marines

If you read about it states it has a internal modem as well as connections for DSL, Cable and so on so it the console I mean can be updated as a need to basis. It uses drop and play technology like the others which means patches will not be needed or so they say.

Semper Fi

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 7
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 7:14:50 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marines

If you read about it states it has a internal modem as well as connections for DSL, Cable and so on so it the console I mean can be updated as a need to basis. It uses drop and play technology like the others which means patches will not be needed or so they say.

Semper Fi

But the computer games themselves NEED the patches; not the console.

Especially the way computer games are released today - they are buggy as heck.

So. . . unless these TV Consoles have a built-in hard drive to store patches and which allow those patches to work with the buggy games. . .

I'll be sticking to the PC.

Cheers!

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 4/16/2004 5:15:45 PM >

(in reply to Marines)
Post #: 8
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 7:30:13 PM   
Marines

I has an 80 gig HD.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 9
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 10:23:33 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

My lack of knowledge showing here, but a friend commented, that a lot of games won't play unless installed.

How will this console handle that?

80 gig hard drive would help, but hmm, won't it just make it a weird kind of PC?

All my PC is, really, is a hard drive, a media drive, ram and a means to put that information on a monitor with input from a keyboard and mouse. Installing is NOT a burden. Heck I re install windows casually, so installing a game is not a relevant burden.

All I seem to have noticed, is the item appears to be compact. Nothing wrong with that. But it won't pry 400 bucks out of my wallet. A good long cable linking my tv to my computer is also not a burden.

But as has been mentioned, most good systems can port to TV. Actually I have a local friend that doesn't even have a TV, his large monitor actually serves this function in the first place (for purpose of watching film as well as gaming).
I have another buddy, who has a dual monitor set up and is linked into his PS2 and his TV and satelite as well as stereo. Nice set up of course. I doubt he will be in the market for a PC console game.

That this will make it "convenient" in the livingroom might appeal to some I suppose. But it doesn't invalidate the defense you can always port to the TV already.

Problem here I think is the TV itself. I have seen a few games that won't run on my 17 inch monitor, so I doubt it will run on a better 19 inch or 21 inch monitor either. The gamnes were made with smaller monitor technology. Those earlier games will pixelise all to hell on a 27 inch TV screen.

I recall comparing Civilization II for PC with the console version. The console version sucked on a small TV, it will just get fuzzier on a bigger TV.

Personally, I watch plenty of video right here on my computer. The image is better. I can also watch any format of video on my computer. Will the new doodad be able to play ANY video?

I think this device has a lot of promise, but might need to accept it has a weak link. The TV itself.

(in reply to Marines)
Post #: 10
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 10:46:04 PM   
Marines

It uses "Drop and Play" tech. just like PS2 XBOX, all you do is place it in the tray hit the button and play no installing required, the hard drive is for patches that once downloaded automatically turn on when playing that game. The system is designed to automatically adapt providing the user with resoultion never before seen on TVs or PC screens. When the graphics card is out of date you simply press on a rear ejection button and it pops out to be replaced with a new one. The processor is a 64 bit chip.

Semper Fi

Post #: 11
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/16/2004 11:48:20 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marines

It uses "Drop and Play" tech. just like PS2 XBOX, all you do is place it in the tray hit the button and play no installing required, the hard drive is for patches that once downloaded automatically turn on when playing that game. The system is designed to automatically adapt providing the user with resoultion never before seen on TVs or PC screens. When the graphics card is out of date you simply press on a rear ejection button and it pops out to be replaced with a new one. The processor is a 64 bit chip.

Semper Fi

Ok, that fills in a bit more info.

However, as Les mentioned, for the more computer savy people, I can't see them buying this thing, for many of the reasons he mentioned.

For $400.00 I can buy an X-box (which also plays DVD movies) PLUS a top of the line 128MB video card for my PC.

On the other hand, there may be plenty of people who will want to play the Sims on their TV.

Cheers!

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 4/16/2004 9:50:22 PM >

(in reply to Marines)
Post #: 12
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 1:57:32 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

On the subject of drop and play, hmm if it was not important I wouldn't mention it, but hmm I have heard sooooo many people complain about the need to drag around cds just to play the game.

Now I have seen lots of people I know treat their media well just abominably. Most say they want no cd cracks t get past this. Me I am not so sure wink nod say no more.

I of course don't actually use my original cds in the machine even when required. I use a copy and if it gets scratched who cares, throw it away make a new one. The master stays upstairs in the land of valuable merchandise out of harms way.

But still, there will be those that will complain about having to need that cd just to play it.

Of course, a family entertainment unit is likely not going to be found on your desk at work. Maybe its a plot to make workers stop playing games at work hehe.

Either way, just being able to drop and play misses one detail, most people are deplorable about taking proper care of their media. I only know one single person that appears of the behavioural pattern that actually puts a cd away when it is not is use (other than myself).
Probably a result of people so used to playing a game todeath, and a month later not even interested in caring if the cd is damaged. "They beat the game" after all.

Of course most wargamers are not always the sort that would play a wargame, and after winning once, declare they "beat the game".

But I am curious to hear from the "no cd" lobby.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 13
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 3:40:58 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Les_the_Sarge_9_1

On the subject of drop and play, hmm if it was not important I wouldn't mention it, but hmm I have heard sooooo many people complain about the need to drag around cds just to play the game.

Now I have seen lots of people I know treat their media well just abominably. Most say they want no cd cracks t get past this. Me I am not so sure wink nod say no more.

I of course don't actually use my original cds in the machine even when required. I use a copy and if it gets scratched who cares, throw it away make a new one. The master stays upstairs in the land of valuable merchandise out of harms way.

But still, there will be those that will complain about having to need that cd just to play it.

Of course, a family entertainment unit is likely not going to be found on your desk at work. Maybe its a plot to make workers stop playing games at work hehe.

Either way, just being able to drop and play misses one detail, most people are deplorable about taking proper care of their media. I only know one single person that appears of the behavioural pattern that actually puts a cd away when it is not is use (other than myself).
Probably a result of people so used to playing a game todeath, and a month later not even interested in caring if the cd is damaged. "They beat the game" after all.

Of course most wargamers are not always the sort that would play a wargame, and after winning once, declare they "beat the game".

I'm with you on this one Les.

I take scrupulous care of my CDs - both originals and backups. Almost every CD is in pristine condition. Not a scratch.

I simply can't understand how people can leave some valuable game CDs simply laying around outside their jewel case. Especially those hard-to-find game CDs.

I'm the same way with my books. (Although it's hard to fit them into those small jewel cases - heh)

Come to think of it, I am the same way with my car. . .

And my videos. . .

And. . .

Is a pattern emerging?

Cheers!

Post #: 14
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 4:05:48 AM   
Peever

I was wondering about the controller for this system. I scanned the sight quick but did not see a pic of one. Will this use a standard pc keyboard and mouse?

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 15
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 4:13:41 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Looks like you are like me Von Rom :)

I don't buy something at all if I won't have any use for it in the near term.

The argument, a meal out costs blah blah blah, and the cost of a game costs blah blah blah, and getting a month of solid entertainment is enough blah blah blah.

Nope sorry, if I can choose game X for 40 bucks and be still having fun with it years later simnply because it's great, or game Y for 40 bucks, but end up finished with it in a short span of time because it's finite, then I will pick game X, and let someone else made of money buy the other guy's game Y.

I might be cheap, but I never base my game purchases off of how much it cost me to enjoy dinner out :)

This company taking out a patent on the idea though, that might be a good idea.
There is sometimes strength in numbers, but having 3 major game console companies out there, has not given either of the three any real advantage.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 16
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 4:35:20 AM   
EricGuitarJames

Well I checked out the link so .....

1) If it uses 'Drop and Play' technology why does it need an 80 gig hard drive? My XBox has an 8 gig hard drive and I've barely used up 5% and most of that is for alternative game sountracks.

2) PC Games are controlled by keyboards and mapped to keyboards and a mouse. As Peever said, how will they get around this? If they include a standard keyboard and mouse then it's a computer connected to your TV! If not then it's not a console for strategy gamers and so is in direct competition with the likes of XBox and the PS2 but at twice the price!

3) Is there really a market for this kind of device? Console games are intended for shortish fun sessions whilst PC games are more for the 'thoughtful' gamer (gross generalisations I know but you get the gist). In the living room you have all sorts of distractions so PC gamers tend to prefer a bit of isolation anyway.

Post #: 17
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 5:12:10 AM   
YohanTM2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

quote:

I take scrupulous care of my CDs - both originals and backups. Almost every CD is in pristine condition. Not a scratch.

I simply can't understand how people can leave some valuable game CDs simply laying around outside their jewel case. Especially those hard-to-find game CDs.

I'm the same way with my books. (Although it's hard to fit them into those small jewel cases - heh)

And my videos. . .

And. . .

Is a pattern emerging?

Cheers!

No kids I take it?

In the last 2 months I have had 2 DVDs of mine and 1 game toasted by my 2 year old

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 18
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 6:46:30 AM   
Sarge

I like the idea of having a console to play PC games . Now that being said what about upgrades, will I be able to upgrade the cosole-video and sound cards and what about memory. I cant imagine what the PC games in the next few years will require in this area(think of the PC you used in the late 90s only 5 years ago). There is no way I am going to buy something thats not upgradeable.

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 19
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 7:16:07 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

Looks like you are like me Von Rom :)

I don't buy something at all if I won't have any use for it in the near term.

The argument, a meal out costs blah blah blah, and the cost of a game costs blah blah blah, and getting a month of solid entertainment is enough blah blah blah.

Nope sorry, if I can choose game X for 40 bucks and be still having fun with it years later simnply because it's great, or game Y for 40 bucks, but end up finished with it in a short span of time because it's finite, then I will pick game X, and let someone else made of money buy the other guy's game Y.

I might be cheap, but I never base my game purchases off of how much it cost me to enjoy dinner out :)

This company taking out a patent on the idea though, that might be a good idea.
There is sometimes strength in numbers, but having 3 major game console companies out there, has not given either of the three any real advantage.

Les:

I generally feel the same way. There are only certain types of games I like. Fortunately, Matrix is making a slew of them right now - heheh.

I would rather wait 6-10 months for a great game (such as WiTP) than to buy a bunch of games each month simply because they are on the store shelves. Besides, the anticipation is worth half the fun :D

I'm the same way with movies. The last one I saw was Master and Commander. I like to make going out to the movies a real event. That's when it's time to make a splash.

I have book shelves lined with some of the best computer games (to me at least) I could find. They're mostly strategy and war games. I'm a collector of them. I've searched high and low looking for every good computer wargame I could find, going back to Panzer General. So on any given day, I'll pull one down and give it a whirl.

Cheers!

Post #: 20
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 7:20:48 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yohan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

quote:

And my videos. . .

And. . .

Is a pattern emerging?

Cheers!

No kids I take it?

In the last 2 months I have had 2 DVDs of mine and 1 game toasted by my 2 year old

No children myself. I do have a wonderful God son. He's 5 years old now. It's amazing that whenever he comes over he makes a beeline straight for the CDs on my desk. Heheh

The hair stands up on the back of my neck whenever he picks one up. . .

I wonder what instinct propels children to grab valuable CDs? It must be one of those "unwritten" kid things. :D

Cheers!

(in reply to YohanTM2)
Post #: 21
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/17/2004 3:38:49 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well you see, its one of yer "buttons" actually :), and kids can instinctively see an adults "buttons".

The trouble is we rarely know our "buttons" are there.

Eric mentioned this..

"2) PC Games are controlled by keyboards and mapped to keyboards and a mouse. As Peever said, how will they get around this? If they include a standard keyboard and mouse then it's a computer connected to your TV! If not then it's not a console for strategy gamers and so is in direct competition with the likes of XBox and the PS2 but at twice the price!"

Sort of what I was getting at earlier. If they make it a lame computer, it will be a lame computer. And for 400 bucks I can just buy the parts of an older system and sit it in front of the TV and call it my "game" machine. Heck I have a friend with a PII grade set up at his place he is willing to give me just so I can play Steel Panthers 3 in peace on a 98 equiped system and also get my SPMBT/SPWW2 fix in as well.

For 400 bucks, this machine better be capable of doing everything our computer can, but with no more hassle than setting up a game console.

Not sure like Eric mentioned, they are going to handle that one. Some days I hate mastering keyboard controls, but in the end, a keyboard is the only route to playing our games of choice. I don't even want to begin to think of how unthrilling playing Steel Panthers would be on a game console controller.

Until we hear more, I suppose we won't know.
I might look into their forum when I have nothing better to do, and ask (they have a forum by the way).

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 22
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/18/2004 1:03:21 AM   
Von Rom

I did a bit of reading on that console's forum.

Seems that the console is being aimed at the novice never-before-used-a-PC-in-my-life person.

Since PCs have been around for the past 10-12 years, and since they are getting cheaper every year, I have to wonder if there is still such a person. . .

Furthermore, mods, new maps, etc, etc will not be supported by this console.

So anyone who uses this console will be able to play only a straight vanilla version of a PC game.

I think anyone with a PC-to-TV video card could just as well park their computer case in front of the TV, and with a wireless mouse and keyboard, they could essentially have the same thing, but with all the advantges a PC brings, at almost little cost.

So, I'm still puzzled over this console.

Post #: 23
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/18/2004 4:38:08 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yep that's me too.

I here a good number of people suffering without broadband, but that is a different beast. But heck even my poorest local buddies have PCs.

A person in a western country not having a PC is just, well, odd.

Now as I see it, what has me wondering, is what are they planning to employ as the main draw. I have not seen a killer advantage yet.

If I could just drop in my HHTR game and play it straight off the cd, that would be functionally "easy". But hmmm I prefer to sit at a decent table when I am gaming, not sitting on the floor in front of the TV like is popular, or on my sofa with no decent place to put the keyboard.

My TV is a nice TV, but it's just a TV, I like to watch film on it. I don't have much interest in playing games on it.

I am still wondering what will be killer cool (aside from a console that can provide access to all sorts of previously made games).
But again, a lot of those games ain't designed for screens that big.

I think I will visit the forums myself.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 24
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/18/2004 4:57:58 AM   
Von Rom

Here's more on the Console:

Final ApeXtreme specs confirmed

Apex Digital announces the finalized specifications for its ApeXtreme DVD player, personal video recorder, and PC game console.

Apex Digital has today announced the finalized specifications for its ApeXtreme (pronounced Apex Extreme) DVD player, personal video recorder, and PC game console. The ApeXtreme is currently scheduled for release this spring and is expected to retail for $499. The price is a little higher than the $399 that was originally announced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January, but Apex has since added Personal Video Recording (PVR) functionality to the console, thus allowing users to pause and rewind "live" TV shows or record them to the hard drive for later viewing.

At the heart of the ApeXtreme will be AMD's Athlon XP2000+ processor chip, while the console's video capabilities will be supplied by Nvidia's nForce2 IGP graphics processor. 3D graphics will come courtesy of an Nvidia GeForce4 MX graphics card. The console comes with a Biostar motherboard, a 40GB hard drive, and 256MHz of DDR SDRAM. Component, composite, S-video, scale up video, and digital video (DVI) outputs will all be featured on the ApeXtreme console, along with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio support.

"By creating the first game console that will play PC games and combining it with a full-featured DVD player and a personal video recorder, Apex is defining a new product category," said Apex President Steve Brothers. "And just like with all of our other products, we want to provide the best technology at a price that makes sense to the average consumer. Working with AMD, Nvidia, and Biostar allows us to do that."

There are already thousands of PC games available that can be played on the ApeXtreme, which uses the "Drop & Play" engine developed by Digital Interactive System Corporation (DISC). Perhaps the most impressive feature of the ApeXtreme, DISC's engine will allow gamers to play PC games without needing to wait for them to be installed and booted up.

By Justin Calvert -- GameSpot

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/26/news_6092355.html

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 4/18/2004 3:01:23 AM >

Post #: 25
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/18/2004 5:13:20 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well I have done my part, joined their forum, and asked a few questions of merit to a wargamer.

Now it remains to be seen what sort of response occurs.

I left them a link to Matrix Games as well (can't hurt :) ).

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 26
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/18/2004 7:33:17 PM   
Von Rom

From the above article it seems that this console wants to be the "Swiss Army Knife" of Home Electronics.

It's price has jumped from $399.00 to $499.00; it's using a 40 GiG harddrive instead of an 80 GiG; and it will have run-of-the-mill graphics (256 MB RAM and MX video card).

Hmmmm, $500.00.

So you're buying:

1) A DvD player - but X-Box and PS2 will allow that (they cost < $200.00); plus many already have a DvD player.

2) Video Recorder - most people already have video recorders (cost < $150.00).

3) Ability to play vanilla PC games on TV - computers already allow you to do that. However, the basic console will not support patches/mods/modifications to the games themselves. Plus, PCs can be upgraded; the basic console cannot be upgraded. The console is limited to 40 gig HD, while PCs can have 160 GiG HDs, etc, etc. . .

You could buy quite an upgrade for a PC for that amount of cash.

Cheers!

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 4/18/2004 5:46:51 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/18/2004 7:52:19 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I might have been mistaken, but I think I heard the game's patches etc are what is stored on the console's hard drive.

Still, I have not seen anything yet to make that price tag look appealing yet.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 28
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/18/2004 8:10:35 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

If anyone wants to keep track of my own progress over at the forums for this new product, here is my thread I have going there.

Feel free to insert your own thoughts, I am trying to gain wargamer related info naturally hehe.

http://www.discoverconsole.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=180

Post #: 29
RE: PC Game Console!!! - 4/18/2004 8:14:36 PM   
Marines

Thanks for the updated info Rom the rumor mill surrounding this thing is huge.

Semper Fi

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> PC Game Console!!! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI