Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb. question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb. question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb. que... - 4/28/2004 4:54:48 AM   
Irsmert

So, I'm curious, how long do most of you make your generated campaigns? 10 Missions? 20? 30? 50? Max?

And I have another question, about maps that you can download. What are they for? Scenario designers? are they different from a scnario? Can you (could I) somehow put them into a generated campaign?

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb.... - 4/28/2004 6:31:28 AM   
minefield

For the second part of your question: 'Maps' is a term that is used loosely. It can mean just the terrain, i.e. the layout of the land. These are used to setup single battles or can be incorporated into campaigns / scenarios. Scenarios are usually labeled as such, and are single battles complete with the units already assigned.

It should be possible to put a map into a campaign, although I think the campaign would have to be fully designed, not one that is generated randomly.

never cross a minefield

(in reply to Irsmert)
Post #: 2
RE: Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb.... - 4/28/2004 3:50:34 PM   
o4r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Irsmert

So, I'm curious, how long do most of you make your generated campaigns? 10 Missions? 20? 30? 50? Max?

And I have another question, about maps that you can download. What are they for? Scenario designers? are they different from a scnario? Can you (could I) somehow put them into a generated campaign?

Depend on which country you started with. Example like German, they started their first scenario at Poland which is sept 1939 and end at april 1945. However you do not get one scenario every turn, Poland campaign is only 2 months, which is only sept and oct 1939. Next you will jump to Western theatre which start on April and May 1940 then to desert which fall in April and May 1941 after which you may go to Russia campagin which is on June 1941. However after you get a tiger, the ai is pretty stupid and they just at you, so you have monthly campaign until April 1945. Coming to about 2+2+2+6+12+12+4 = 40 battles.

(in reply to Irsmert)
Post #: 3
RE: Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb.... - 4/28/2004 5:30:06 PM   
vahauser

o4r, he was referring to generated campaigns, not WW2 long campaigns.

As for me, I prefer medium to long campaigns. I think it is best to have around 1 battle per month of time because it seems to fit the way experience is gained best. 1 battle per 2 weeks is pushing the experienced gained factor, and 1 battle per 2 months or more seems to minimize experience gained too much. So, I generally prefer campaigns from 2 to 5 years long at 1 month per battle average (thus, 24 to 60 battles).

(in reply to o4r)
Post #: 4
RE: Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb.... - 4/29/2004 1:59:19 AM   
Irsmert

good to know, thanks.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. Winston Churchill

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 5
RE: Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb.... - 4/29/2004 8:52:00 PM   
IBTyrone

Hi Irsmert.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Irsmert

I just finished the generated campaign as the Italians starting in August of 1940 and ending in March of 1944. I had to set the game up as the Germans, but used Italian troops in the force selection. It made replacements a little funky as I got German commanders for my Italian equipment when I had to replace a destroyed unit, but it didn't affect play too much. The campaign ended up being about 37 battles. If you use campaign watcher to track the progress of your core, it enhances the experience quite a bit.

quote:

Maps are designed separately from scenarios. You can download a map and then create objectives and add units to it as you see fit. It isn't hard to design your own maps with SPWAW built in editor, nor is it tough to copy a map from a computer-generated scenario. I haven't done much of either, but I know there are folks around here who have.

Hope this helps!

(in reply to Irsmert)
Post #: 6
RE: Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb.... - 4/29/2004 10:03:40 PM   
Irsmert

Hmm intereasting idea playing the germans with only (mostly?) Italian equipment. Ok, I'm pretty sure that I know what use a map would be to me now.

(in reply to IBTyrone)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Poll: How long are your generated campaigns?/Newb. question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI