Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How MAny Play With Hex Outline Visible?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How MAny Play With Hex Outline Visible? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How MAny Play With Hex Outline Visible? - 5/26/2000 11:03:00 PM   
dgstokes

After dumb clutzing my way to 2 immobilized Panthers and 1 Halftrack in "Tigers in the Snow" scenario I've decided to turn the hex grid on. It isn't as attractive to look at, but I seem to inadvertantly run over a wall or other object that immobilizes my vehicle while I'm trying to skirt along the wall not over it. How many of you play with the hex grid turned on? Do most of you leave it off? If so, do you also run into objects unintentionally? What are the pro's and con's? ------------------

Post #: 1
- 5/26/2000 11:53:00 PM   
ASLan

I think it's really ugly with the hexgrid on. I'll stay awya from it as long as possible. But I agree it's a problem with the hedges and walls. They really should run along the hexsides, then it would be easier following where they are. Besides, it will be even easier to convert those ASL/SL scenarios. But I guess it would be too difficult implementing that. Another problem is when vehicles crash into buildings along roads next to multi hex buildings. I lost two shermans that way in one scenario. It seems like a road can occupy the same hex as a multihex building and that makes the driver confused

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 2
- 5/26/2000 11:53:00 PM   
Drake666

I always leave it one, you get use to it and it make for planning your moves a lot easyer. You hardly see it after a time.

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 3
- 5/27/2000 12:17:00 AM   
Bondy

That would be a great idea for an update if it was possible. Make the hex line thinner. It may not be possible to do though - in my recollection the hexlines were just 1 pixel thick within the SHP files. If thats the case we are out of luck and will have to choose between the thick hexlines or no hexlines. I personally leave them on except for when I look at the whole map (minus key) for strategies. It would help me a lot to have a "Hexes On/Off" button on the main screen - perhaps I'm the only one who toggles this though.

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 4
- 5/27/2000 12:33:00 AM   
grockall

I always play with hex grid on.I find it to useful to leave off.

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 5
- 5/27/2000 1:10:00 AM   
jmo1

I have always played with hex grid on.

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 6
- 5/27/2000 1:25:00 AM   
Fred

I played SP I, II and now W@W, but I've never used the hex grid. It distracts from the mood of "being there" and clutters the screen. It takes some time, but after this "learning curve" you know where a tile starts/ends and where you have to be careful Fred

"I got signals, I got readings in front and behind" - PFC Hudson, LV-426 mission

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 7
- 5/27/2000 1:37:00 AM   
dgstokes

I think the main battle screen on/off toggle switch is a great idea!! ------------------

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 8
- 5/27/2000 1:51:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I prefer it off, for added realism. For a ticklish situation, where I need to move carefully, I use it, and move one hex at a time. How many of us have clicked on a hex three hexes away from the unit thinking it would go one way and it went another...ARGH! Either getting killed or immobilizing itself. Rule of thumb. The AI always looks for the shortest route in hexes, no matter the terrain. It does not consider terrain, just moves right through it. So use caution for careful moves. And don't do like I have done: accidentally click on a unit and then inadvertently click on another hex. THen watch the unit move to its certain doom...DOUBLE ARGH! It may take longer, but its much safer. And don't forget stealth when you move one hex at a time. Impatience can kill you quick on a battlefield, real or electronic. Wild Bill ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 9
- 5/27/2000 5:14:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Bondy: That would be a great idea for an update if it was possible. Make the hex line thinner. It may not be possible to do though - in my recollection the hexlines were just 1 pixel thick within the SHP files. If thats the case we are out of luck and will have to choose between the thick hexlines or no hexlines. I personally leave them on except for when I look at the whole map (minus key) for strategies. It would help me a lot to have a "Hexes On/Off" button on the main screen - perhaps I'm the only one who toggles this though.
Wasn't this key in SP1? And I'm pretty shure the lines don't show as 1-pixel ones on my comp - infact, I sometimes wonder if they are 1-pixel wide but drawn twice .. the angles of the hex's are sometimes weird, and there seems to shine some ground colour through on the lower right corner ?! Arralen [This message has been edited by Arralen (edited 05-27-2000).]

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 10
- 5/27/2000 10:50:00 PM   
Pack Rat

I play with it off. I also try to play with the unit numbers off, if I don't see some AI units that kind of fits in as well. ------------------ Good hunting, Pack Rat

PR

(in reply to dgstokes)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> How MAny Play With Hex Outline Visible? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI