Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help! (Preparing the Way)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Help! (Preparing the Way) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help! (Preparing the Way) - 4/29/2004 8:44:35 PM   
Warmonger

OK, I have just played the first scenario of Preparing the Way, and I have some questions...

First off...USA vs. France!? What is THAT all about?

OK...now to the important Question: Is this battle completely impossible, or do I just suck?

1. What force composition should I be using, and how does one determine this?

2. How do you plan your mission with little intel on enemy forces? (None actually.)

3. How can one accomplish anything when any concentrated force is instantly and effortlessly massacred by Stukas?

I love the game, but I am becoming inceasingly frustrated with it and am damn near ready to uninstall it and forget I ever heard of it. Even in the 40's, Armies had intelligence, and usually knew what resources the enemy had before the battle started, didn't they?!

Maybe I need a tutor...

W A R M O N G E R
Post #: 1
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 4/29/2004 9:51:53 PM   
Major_Johnson

I'm not really sure what "Preparing The Way" is. A premade campaign?? The name does seem to ring a bell from the past. But the U.S. vs French makes perfect sense, since one of the U.S.'s first battles in WW2 was against the French in north Africa. Is this an amphibious landing?? If so, that could be the reason. As far as force composition goes, that's really up to you. Tanks, infantry (with transportation). Artillery is a big one too. Remember these are units that are to improve as the campaign goes along. I think the manual might have a suggestion of a starting core force.

And how do you plan your mission? Well that's pretty much what the game teaches you, isn't it? You have to plan your own strategy. Head for the victory hexes, use recon patrols to scout out the enemies strength and positions.

Purchase some AA to take care of the Stuka's.

And no, not all armies had intelligence on their opponents. Don't give up. You'll get hooked like the rest of us!!

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 2
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 4/29/2004 10:15:18 PM   
Irsmert

Preparing the way is indeed one of the premade campaigns, set in North Africa. It's not an amphibious mission. I would suggest playing the tutorial and reading the manual, and possibly reading some tactics guides online, such as Steel Panthers World at War Tactics Guide. I suspect that you don't want to go through all that reading, so if you just keep at it, then you will become alot better in only a little bit of play, learn from your mistakes. I seem to remember that that was about the second mission that I played. (after the tutorial) If you just play it once, and then go back and repick your core, and play it again, you will be amazed at how much better you did then last time. What I'm saying is, just keep it up, eventually you will be able to take anthing that the computer can throw at you.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. Winston Churchill

(in reply to Major_Johnson)
Post #: 3
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 4/29/2004 10:25:37 PM   
Major_Johnson

Can "Preparing The Way" be played in v8?? Wasn't it made for like v5??

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to Irsmert)
Post #: 4
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 4/30/2004 1:36:28 AM   
Warmonger

It came with my v8 Download...

And thanks...I just needed to vent my frustration

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 5
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 5/1/2004 6:47:32 AM   
FlashfyreSP

This campaign is one of Wild Bill's classic campaigns. Set in North Africa, it pits your US Combat Group (the best combined arms force to start with) against the Vichy French forces in Algeria.

Yes, the Americans fought the French in WWII. Vichy forces put up quite a defense at points like Mehdia and Oran.

The campaign WAS written for a much older version of the game. In its day it was a good one. There are a few units whose positions in the OOBs have changed, so you will see some weird things (like foot units appearing as halftracks) throughout the battles.

As for the air pounding, my suggestion is to keep your troops spread out, keep them inside their halftracks until you need them, and buy at least a section of M13 or M15 SPAA units. And, when all this fails, hunker down and take the heat. Remember...air units only get one GOOD attack in; once the first pass is over and all the bombs are dropped, then it's only MG and cannon fire you have to worry about.

The first battle can be won. My tip to you would be, consider a different approach path to the airfield.

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 6
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 5/1/2004 4:35:59 PM   
plloyd

The first scenario in “Preparing the Way” and “A Long, Long Road”, appears to be based on a couple of strange fights the day after the landings in Morocco. The first was at a an airfield, which I forget the name of, and the attack on an armored relief column near there. The French forces were willing to surrender to, and later join, the allies. Where as the Vichy government was solidly allied the the Germans. Local forces felt they should not let the Americans take over facilities until the political settlement came into effect, which they expected very soon. An American tack force began to move in, the French said “not yet”, and the fight was on. The Vichy troops in the game seem to be more determined than I understand them as having been historically, but then this is supposed to be a challenge, right?

Enough of that... Now about your problem. Always carry some AA with you until late '44. Then keep it anyway, it makes nice infantry support. I like the M15s. The 13s just don't cut it For towed guns, get the 40mm.

Attack the airfield from the south. Pile everything on that one road hex. You will find in most offensive scenarios, a couple of jump off points are better than a spread out deployment. Do spread out quickly, artillery or aircraft will come by the end of the second turn.

I cheat, just a little, to get some pre-battle intel in the campaigns. There is some information you should have. I am talking about learning what sort of support you will be getting. Here is what I do. Save the game at the end of of a battle. Don't buy any support. Deploy on the edge or in the corner, so as not to get any free spotting. Turn on fast artillery, so you don't learn too much about their support. Now start the first turn. Make notes about the help, and where it is, and artillery support you will have. Restart the game, then buy your support troops. No pre-scouting! OK? Read the descriptions/orders. That should help you in your drive to victory.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 7
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 5/1/2004 7:50:43 PM   
Warmonger

Thanks everyone...Im gonna keep on tryin...MAN this game rocks!
I am getting better all the time...

The info on the French vs. Us is fascinating, also...I never knew!
I never knew any part of the French were allied with the Nazis for any reason! I didnt know they resisted US help! When I saw US vs France, I though it was a mistake or hypothetical thing...I must go research this!!

Thanks again!

W A R M O N G E R

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 8
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 5/1/2004 8:15:42 PM   
Jamminji

quote:

ORIGINAL: plloyd

I cheat, just a little, to get some pre-battle intel in the campaigns. There is some information you should have. I am talking about learning what sort of support you will be getting. Here is what I do. Save the game at the end of of a battle. Don't buy any support. Deploy on the edge or in the corner, so as not to get any free spotting. Turn on fast artillery, so you don't learn too much about their support. Now start the first turn. Make notes about the help, and where it is, and artillery support you will have. Restart the game, then buy your support troops. No pre-scouting! OK? Read the descriptions/orders. That should help you in your drive to victory.

Great Idea plloyd, And I don't think it is even cheating. In reality the command would know that stuff before hand. And you made a point NOT to get info that the commander would NOT know, such as the first enemy arty attack, and front line info etc. These would be cheating in my mind. Of course, it is a single player campaign so whatever makes the game fun is fine IMO. I am like you though, I like to be surprised! But I HAVE replayed turns(never in PBEM, except when forced by a crash etc. And then, even if I messed up, I try to follow the same paths/tactics), and senarios, and campaigns...hehe

jam

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 9
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 5/1/2004 8:24:32 PM   
Warmonger

So, Since some premade campaigns are older and therefore experiencing some problems with v8, my new question is: Which ones (that come with download) are newer and therefore work as designed?

W A R M O N G E R

(in reply to Jamminji)
Post #: 10
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 5/2/2004 2:09:44 AM   
BruceAZ

Forget all of this stuff. I go for the Tutor. If frustration sets in, do what the rest of us do - drink more ________(fill in the blank).

Recon
Semper Fi

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 11
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 5/2/2004 4:18:06 AM   
FlashfyreSP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warmonger

So, Since some premade campaigns are older and therefore experiencing some problems with v8, my new question is: Which ones (that come with download) are newer and therefore work as designed?

Typically, the further down the list of campaigns, the newer they are. However, some of the olders ones have been updated...you will have to check any documentation (readme files, etc.) to see if the author has reviwed it under the current version. I can tell you that there is an updated Raiders of the Sahara campaign (this is one of my designs) at my website, The Bunker. You can also get it at the Wargamer site.

As for the US vs French, here's a good book on the subject:
"An Army at Dawn", by Rick Atkinson. It covers the North African campaign from November 1942 until it's end in May 1943.

And finally (shameless plug), if you want to try something else in this theatre, I have a scenario about the US attack on the Kasbah outside Mehdia, Morocco. It's available on my site as well; look for The "Kasbah".

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 12
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 6/24/2004 12:10:54 PM   
guyhill

Hi,

This reminds me of my first (and unsuccessful) attempt at this scenario & campaign. I played it perhaps five times since then using different strategies and found it to be quite easy in the end. My favorite strategy is quite unorthodox and not very historical. My solution:

* Buy lots of infantry, preferably paratroops or rangers (they get an XP bonus)
* put them in C47s and drop them right on to the victory hexes in T1!
* use arty to put smoke around them

With any luck the AI starts counter attacking immediately; you should be able to defeat them quite easily. My record to date is a Decisive Victory by turn 5.

I have not tried infiltrating with my rangers in this scenario; that might work as well. Have fun!

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 13
RE: Help! (Preparing the Way) - 6/24/2004 12:31:44 PM   
guyhill

Hi again,

I see I did not answer all your questions. I typically also have trouble choosing the correct core force for a campaign. However, in my experience the following works quite well:

1. If you can win the first scenario with your core force you probably chose the right mix of forces for the entire campaign

2. Do not buy too many tanks. Infantry is quite powerful, even against tanks. Especially the Americans with their bazookas are very good in the anti-tank role (in the "long, long road" campaign I did not buy any tanks at all until the M26 Pershing was available).

3. Study the map of the first scenario (it is available at the time you buy your core forces) carefully and plan accordingly. Take a look at the support troops as someone suggested.

4. Do not forget artillery. I usually become bored quickly with arty but it can be a real winner and you do not actually need very much. Just enough to suppress dug-in infantry. I prefer heavy mortars over artillery batteries because they tend to be more accurate (less chance of friendly fire incidents).

5. Buy some really cheap units (mule packs are (in version 7) the cheapest US unit) for future upgrades. This can make a big difference as you cannot add new units to your core force once you progress in a campaign but you can upgrade everything you like. Btw: mule packs make excellent Stuka fodder in the first scenario in Preparing the Way.

About the Stukas: it might be worthwhile to check whether you have selected (in the preferences menu) unlimited ammo. Planes with unlimited ammo actually scare the hell out of me as they just keep on dropping bombs. Besides, it is more realistic to have your troops actually spend ammo.

I hope this helps. SPWAW is a wonderful game, but unfortunately the learning curve can be a bit steep at times

(in reply to guyhill)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns >> Help! (Preparing the Way) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI