Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

download help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> download help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
download help - 4/29/2004 4:41:18 PM   
papakee

I started wanting to upgrade my SP WaW from the old machine gun happy version 5 to the newest version. I've tried downloading via cable modem from both the sites listed, but it always fails after a few meg. Anyone know of a trick to get this giant file to download? I've tried IE, Netscape and Opera (which has a resume capability) to no avail.

-Tim
Post #: 1
RE: download help - 4/29/2004 4:51:17 PM   
Voriax

Hm, kinda tough question

You could get a download manager, they will resume broken downloads and they will continue from the point the d/l broke so they usually get the job done, eventually.
I think those download sites have several mirrors, so have you tried them all? Does your cable modem work okay?

Voriax

ps: try freshdownload from : http://www.freshdevices.com/
Free and no ad/spyware

< Message edited by Voriax -- 4/29/2004 4:55:12 PM >

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to papakee)
Post #: 2
RE: download help - 4/29/2004 5:10:17 PM   
plloyd

I use Get It Right myself, www.getright.com. If you still have trouble, one of us could burn a CD for you.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

(in reply to papakee)
Post #: 3
RE: download help - 4/29/2004 6:03:33 PM   
papakee

Tried using freshdownload and DAP but it appears the worthplaying and gamershell sites do not support this kind of tool. It is probably an error on my part as this is the first time I've needed to use such a tool. Can somebody send me a URL to paste into freshdownload? I maybe entering that in wrong.

-Tim

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 4
RE: download help - 4/30/2004 5:33:56 PM   
plloyd

I had my best luck with U.S. Mirror #3 at Worth Playing. If that still doesn't work, I can make a CD, or just do a general post. Somewhere we can get you a copy.

< Message edited by plloyd -- 4/30/2004 8:39:19 AM >

(in reply to papakee)
Post #: 5
RE: download help - 4/30/2004 9:14:29 PM   
papakee

Finally got it this morning from the 1st mirror, which looked down but I just kept pressing it til it took. Thanks for the help everyone.

-Tim

-Tim

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 6
RE: download help - 5/1/2004 8:11:59 AM   
chief

Don't forget to download patch.

< Message edited by chief -- 5/1/2004 1:12:08 AM >

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to papakee)
Post #: 7
RE: download help - 5/1/2004 4:32:15 PM   
Charles2222

I hate to be sort of off-topic, but then I hate the Windows downloader. I posted this in the tech support forum and have no response yet. I want to turn off my Windows XP-HE downloader, the ol' basic thing that comes with every Windows system. It downloads at the same time my accelerated downloader runs (that's right, the same file twice) on about half the downloads I do. It's quite the nuisance. I don't even know what it's called. I looked in the W2000 I have here at work and did a search on executables in the Windows directory and despite an extensive list nothing looked like it to me, though of course the sheer number of programs makes it more difficult.

I thought I'd try a download here at work, and sure enough that basic thing pops up. Problem is, it don't indentify itself. Even the toolbar lists it as "Downloa..." (the only download executable in this WINNT is a shockwave program). Clicking the download window has no options but close, minimize, and move.

(in reply to chief)
Post #: 8
RE: download help - 5/3/2004 4:58:52 PM   
papakee

You may want to try Opera...its a browser similar to internet explorer and its free. It has its own internal download that has resume capability.

-Tim

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 9
RE: download help - 5/3/2004 5:22:30 PM   
plloyd

Mozilla/Firefox have good download managers in them. You can get them at Mozilla.org. Mozilla is a complete suite and has many free addons. Firefox is the browser only version. I like them for the popup blocking, cookie control, and in Mozilla, the junk mail filtering.

(in reply to papakee)
Post #: 10
RE: download help - 5/4/2004 2:17:13 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: papakee

You may want to try Opera...its a browser similar to internet explorer and its free. It has its own internal download that has resume capability.

I believe the downloader that I mentioned, is indeed an IE one, so unless someone knows how alter IE I'm stuck with it being a nuisance. The IE downloader wasn't bothering me when I had an 98SE. In any event controlling the IE downloader is what I need. Thanks.

(in reply to papakee)
Post #: 11
RE: download help - 5/4/2004 5:14:19 PM   
plloyd

Go to Mozilla.org. Get the browser. Friday tell us what you think of IE. I could even stick it on a disk with SP:WaW for you.

Post #: 12
RE: download help - 5/4/2004 8:40:17 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: plloyd

Go to Mozilla.org. Get the browser. Friday tell us what you think of IE. I could even stick it on a disk with SP:WaW for you.

I'm not really interested in another browser - thank you. I just want to know how to arrange a certain aspect of the certain one I have.

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 13
RE: download help - 5/4/2004 9:52:16 PM   
plloyd

Windows will do that to you.

Post #: 14
RE: download help - 5/5/2004 3:17:44 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: plloyd

Windows will do that to you.

I thought originally it was a Windows downloader, but I now believe it's an IE downloader, which of course is more-or-less part of Windows. Then again I've heard, perhaps hearsay, that if one wanted to uninstall IE that Windows wouldn't work right, which if true, might as well make IE as being part of the OS.

(in reply to plloyd)
Post #: 15
RE: download help - 5/5/2004 5:45:27 PM   
plloyd

IE is not actually part of the OS, but it is deeply embedded in it. You can get a utility from LitePC which will dis-integrate IE from windows. I did that a while ago and things are working quite well. You will need to keep IE though. May programs use it as part of their GUI, but that doesn't mean it needs to be embedded the way it is. Right now, I have IE as a secondary browser, with no desktop icon and no active desktop. I use Mozilla as my primary browser. If you install it, you will get the option to make it so. Mozilla does have a better downloader than IE, a better email client than Outlook Ex, has popup blocking (hate those), image blocking/control (hate banner ads too), cookie control (hate doubleclick, ect.), and tabbed brwosing (makes life much easier). I also hear Opera has a good downloader. I have not used Opera enough to press its limits in most respects, so my opinion here is rather marginal. I suppose the bottom line is that almost any browser will serve you better than IE, and any email client will serve you better, and be safer to use, than Outlook. I have put the links in here, and if you need some more help send me an email or PM, and we can get you going.

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> download help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI