Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What do I do with these 88s?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> What do I do with these 88s? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What do I do with these 88s? - 5/5/2004 3:58:02 PM   
John Galt

I have MCDF in progress and have to take the high ground in preparation for an assault on Tobruk. Rommel has sent me four 88 AT guns with prime movers. My question is: How are these intended to be used? It's obvious in a defend position but how do I employ them assaulting? If I move one within sight of anything it gets shot up. And if it isn't then the arty is coming for it the next round anyway. Smoke lasts too long and never seems to dissapate or that would be the ideal solution. Or so it would seem. The gun is not the size that can be moved one hex on it's following turn. It kills me to have these beautiful pieces and not be able to get a shot at anything.

Experience is the teacher that gives the test first and the lesson last.

John Galt
Post #: 1
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/5/2004 4:08:02 PM   
Jim1954

I seem to remember this battle, a little. Are they already deployed in static positions or are the coming in on prime movers? What is the vis? Remember the strong points on the 88's are their long range accuracy and hitting power at that same range. About the only thing the Brits have to counter these are Artillery, Close Support AFV's and MG's if you let them get too close. Well and air if they have it.
Protect them with your AA assets and screen them with infantry. Try to pick off the CS tanks at long range. In fact make those CS vehicles a priority target with anything you can hit them with.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 2
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/5/2004 5:03:57 PM   
Poopyhead

I had two elite 88 crews slaughtered by one CS tank in one turn, so this is what I recommend. If your guns are static and you are looking at dozens of targets, then use smoke to your left and/or right so that you can see your chosen target without getting counterfire from everybody. Put the 88 in good defensive terrain (like inside a Pz VI, just kidding). I have found that a cratered hex offers more defense than the list admits to, and you can put craters where you want if you have some big guns. Set up one turn, fire the next (pop smoke) and then move. Stay out of range of MG's and those nasty 2" mortars. Make sure that you still have AP (at least) if you are hunting Matildas. The 88 needs ammo resupply to stay dangerous. Fire at targets that your tanks can't kill and don't waste fire.

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 3
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/5/2004 8:48:32 PM   
John Galt

Visibility 19. Came in on prime movers. If I move my prime mover to a hex where I have a shot at something worthwhile, then either the prime mover is fired upon immediately by the "target" or the gun is fired upon (and suppressed) at the start of the next turn before it has a chance to fire. I'm starting to think that these are not a very useful weapon for an assault scenario. Some very good replies here. Thanks for all. I'm thinking I will supress Matildas first and then move the gun into position for a shot next turn??? 40MM AA guns are murder also. Cannot afford to give them even one shot at these guns.

John Galt

(in reply to Poopyhead)
Post #: 4
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/5/2004 9:31:10 PM   
Jim1954

If the Brits are coming at you, try to set up beyond 19 hexes, more really since you want to be already set before they come into range, and let them advance and be destroyed. You DON'T want to be caught deploying.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 5
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/5/2004 10:58:29 PM   
John Galt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim1954

If the Brits are coming at you, try to set up beyond 19 hexes, more really since you want to be already set before they come into range, and let them advance and be destroyed. You DON'T want to be caught deploying.

This is my point. I'm coming at the Brits, trying to take the high ground and hold it. I would have been better off spending the points on more armor but I didn't have that option.

John Galt

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 6
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/6/2004 12:25:10 AM   
Jim1954

Sorry John, I guess I mis-understood. What is the name of the battle? Node # and Scen # in lower RH corner of map? or name from initial briefing?

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 7
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/6/2004 12:58:52 AM   
John Galt

"One Last Try. Tobruk defense line." No node or scenario number. MCDF.

John Galt

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 8
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/6/2004 2:02:29 AM   
RobertS

Well John, it's not you, there's not much you can do with these things unless they're entrenched. As soon as the AI sees a unit like this(and even when it doesn't seem like it saw it), you can expect a massive artillery and air bombardment. Just about everything the AI has. The suggestions offered are about the best you can do. Put it in rough terrain, keep it out of the line of fire of a lot of units and be ready to move like in one turn. OR, you could join the British side. Their large 3in AA gun is a size 1 and has a movement of 1, thus allowing to gain cover. Don't you love the even handed modeling in the OOB's?

< Message edited by RobertS -- 5/5/2004 11:59:13 PM >

(in reply to John Galt)
Post #: 9
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/6/2004 11:17:30 PM   
rbrunsman

Keep in mind, if the Brits are bombarding the heck out of your 88s, they ARE NOT bombarding the heck out of your other units. An 88 is a defensive weapon. You are attacking. Don't expect too much out of a unit if it isn't the right tool for the job.

Besides the Brits tend to wet their pants and run like ninnies worse than the Italians anyway, IMHO.

At least your 88s have prime movers that can move them. In MCLV, the 88s given in the Charge of the Light Brigade scenario were issued the wrong kind of prime movers. So there they sit, useless.

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to RobertS)
Post #: 10
RE: What do I do with these 88s? - 5/7/2004 1:08:16 AM   
John Galt

Ah, now we're getting to the bottom of this! We just have to play the hand we are dealt. Live and learn. I did have a choice of options when going into this battle. The option I chose said Rommel was sending the 88s to help out and I bit for it. My mistake. OK then, thanks for all the advice and words of wisdom. I'll do what I can with those guns.

John Galt

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> What do I do with these 88s? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI