Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/4/2004 8:26:20 PM   
byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

quote:

ORIGINAL: byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Here's what we plan at release:

1 Tutorial
2 Rising Sun: 7 Dec 41 - 16 Mar 42
3 Coral Sea: 1 May 42 - 15 May 42
4 South Pacific (Hypothetical): 1 May 42 - 28 Feb 42
5 Guadalcanal: 4 Aug 42 - 7 Feb 43
6 Marianas: 6 Jun 44 - 29 Aug 44
7 Manchuria: 8 Aug 45 - 31 Aug 45
8 The First Year: 7 Dec 41 - 31 Dec 42
9 The Turning Point: 1 May 42 - 30 Sep 43
10 Campaign 45: 1 Jan 45 - Jun 30 46
11 Campaign 44: 1 Jun 44 - Jun 30 46
12 Campaign 43: 1 Jun 43 - Jun 30 46
13 Campaign 42A: 1 May 42 - Jun 30 46
14 Campaign 42B: 1 Aug 42 - Jun 30 46
15 The War in the Pacific: 7 Dec 41 - Jun 30 46

What makes scenario 4 "hypothetical?"

Probably because the game goes backwards through time in that scenario...

Ah, the famed "Final Countdown" scenario!? But shouldn't that start - or maybe end - on December 7?

(in reply to Reiryc)
Post #: 61
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/4/2004 8:35:55 PM   
Mr.Frag

That has got to be one of the worst movies ever made about nothing at all. What a let down. I wanted to see an alpha strike go in!

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 62
RE: Thanks for info Joel! - 5/4/2004 9:00:45 PM   
Paulchen

quote:

RE: Thanks for info Joel! (in reply to Paulchen)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand why people are criticizing the historical innaccuracies of someone's hypothetical...

I don't think what Paulchen said could ever happen, but so what? Let the boy build his own scenario. Who cares? You don't have to play it if you don't want!

Thank´s for your help.
quote:

Let the boy build his own scenario.

And this was only my question. Is my scenario possible with the editor?

veni, vedi, vici

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 63
RE: Thanks for info Joel! - 5/5/2004 2:02:17 AM   
neuromancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13

I don't understand why people are criticizing the historical innaccuracies of someone's hypothetical...

I don't think what Paulchen said could ever happen, but so what? Let the boy build his own scenario. Who cares? You don't have to play it if you don't want!

Too true.

In my experience, true Grognards can be a vicious lot.

"If you knew your history (you worthless little slime ball) you would know that a Mk 1 Tiger had 120.0015 mm average front armour on the hull, not just - as you so wrongly state (you @$%&* moron) - 120 mm! That extra .0015 mm was what made the Tiger so much more durable than..."

Etc., etc., etc.

(Slight edit in wording there)

< Message edited by neuromancer -- 5/4/2004 5:01:01 PM >

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 64
Set up - 5/5/2004 4:18:08 AM   
mogami

Hi, To save time on my first turn set up I am investing a load of time editing scenario 15.
I'm only changing the starting locations of ships etc I'm not modifing any strength or experiance. The turn will be designed to allow the Japanese player to select the scenario enter password save and send to allied player who enters password and returns. Turn one will be historical but unlike the "offical" turn 1 there will be no landings on Dec 7.
On turn 2 the Japanese player creates his TF's and game is from then on normal.

Most of my changes are moving transports to bases. (They are scattered all over the map.)
I do move IJN units about. I've collected all the scattered subs and placed them into TF of 6 boats each. The player will then on turn 2 form TF and send each boat where he wants. The higher the endurance the further from home port I place the subs. There is a northern group for Dutch Harbor area, a West Coast Group off San Fran, A group around Hawaii, Midway, Wake, Then the SRA has 4 groups (Malaccua strait, Java, PI, Borneo
A group in the IO and a South Pacific group.

I move the Home Defense Units but they all remain in the Home Islands.

If you use the turn and then do non historic turn 1 the Japanese player does not really gain any added advantage over the offical turn 1 because everything I do can be done on turn 1. (The reason for making the changes is to save 12 hours everytime I start a game)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to neuromancer)
Post #: 65
RE: Set up - 5/5/2004 6:17:25 AM   
Mike Scholl

Might be an interesting way to "test" the AI's abilities as well. Some time when you
are going to bed, run your start bringing all the Japanese assets together in effective
and effecient packages, then let the AI play turn two. Be interesting to see if it makes
use of the new situation, or just wastes the turn scattering the assets all over again.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 66
RE: Set up - 5/6/2004 8:14:38 AM   
Von Rom

I think what would make for some initial good scenarios, would be to tweak a few of the stock ones, to be playable as only one side, and then tweak the AI's forces to give the player a tough challenge. This could be achieved by boosting the AI's forces and placing its starting forces in different locations.

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 67
RE: Set up - 5/6/2004 9:43:22 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

I think what would make for some initial good scenarios, would be to tweak a few of the stock ones, to be playable as only one side, and then tweak the AI's forces to give the player a tough challenge. This could be achieved by boosting the AI's forces and placing its starting forces in different locations.

This is basically the process that most designers adopt for their "difficulty settings"---it
becomes more of a question of how much do you want to let the AI "cheat". The AI
never gets any "smarter", or adopts a clever strategy..., it just gets bigger, better, and/
or more units to play with.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 68
RE: Thanks for info Joel! - 5/7/2004 2:05:42 AM   
hUMan bULLet

quote:

The best way to ensure a scenario is balance is to have one person make it and then have the other choose which side he wants to play. For example, I'd feel more than comfortable playing the allies in any scenario mdiehl made.

Definitely thats for sure :) Since i know that my wirlaways, B-18s, and my p-36s' would rip them japanese J7W's up to pieces and any other remaining japanese force on the map from 1941. :)

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 69
RE: Thanks for info Joel! - 5/7/2004 2:32:53 AM   
Mr.Frag

If you want to toughen up the challenge, it is VERY simple. Place a Oil resource size 1,000 in Tokyo and increase the size of the Manpower resource already there. These are the two issues that bring Japan to her knees eventually: Replacements and Fuel.

If someone wants to make it tougher the other way, I'm simply going to laugh at them until they go away in shame.

(in reply to hUMan bULLet)
Post #: 70
Scenerios/ editor - 5/7/2004 2:37:18 AM   
herbieh

personally Im very excited by the editor
I see myself playing one game against the AI as japan, fully historical
one game against the japanese as allies, fully historical
and one PBEM, hopefully as japan to the bitter end

Purely for fun, and I mean fun I want to play one more game where japan starts with a handful of extra ships and a decent pilot pool.
If (and please guys this is for fun, and hypothetical) Id been dictator of Japan since say 1920, and really got my schlock together, what could I have built, not fantasy, a couple of extra shoka's instead of yamato, or several more CAs?

And just how hard is the editor to use, setting ships up ect?

Go easy on me you gronards, some times we need a bit of fantasy to ease the burden of our miserable lives, especially if Im going to be playing as japan in 1944

(in reply to hUMan bULLet)
Post #: 71
RE: Scenerios/ editor - 5/7/2004 2:40:17 AM   
norsemanjs

Don't worry what you do in the privacy of your own home is YOUR business!

(in reply to herbieh)
Post #: 72
RE: Scenerios/ editor - 5/7/2004 2:54:25 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ORIGINAL: herbieh

Purely for fun, and I mean fun I want to play one more game where japan starts with a handful of extra ships and a decent pilot pool.
If (and please guys this is for fun, and hypothetical) Id been dictator of Japan since say 1920, and really got my schlock together, what could I have built, not fantasy, a couple of extra shoka's instead of yamato, or several more CAs?

Go easy on me you gronards, some times we need a bit of fantasy to ease the burden of our miserable lives, especially if Im going to be playing as japan in 1944

Cloning units and adding pilots takes about 30-40 seconds of your time.

When you start talking about inventing an entire new command group, such as the much famed "PH Command" HQ that Japan had in hiding for ruling over the Americans and all the units it had under it's command that things start to get rather complicated

(in reply to herbieh)
Post #: 73
RE: Scenerios/ editor - 5/7/2004 3:08:38 AM   
herbieh

Thanks for the quick reply, man is this going to be a great game

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 74
RE: Scenerios/ editor - 5/7/2004 5:56:56 AM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: herbieh

I think once players have played the game through and know the stratgeies and tendencies of the AI, etc and have beaten it handily, then by all means I think most of us would like to have the capability (through the editor) to really increase the challenge of the AI in hypothetical scenarios.

Imagine if, after the Pearl Harbour strike, the Japanese invade Hawaii.

I wouldn't mind giving the Japanese AI more ships/carriers etc to really make it tough. . .

(in reply to herbieh)
Post #: 75
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/8/2004 9:25:07 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paulchen

Is it possible to build a hypothetical scenario, where russia will be defeated by the germans, and japan have take as result the eastern sibiria, before Dec 7.
The hypothetical results are:
1. the transsibiria railroad can supply japan with oil (caucasus) and goods from germany
2. the whole german airforce and army can fight in western-europe and in africa (this will make it much harder for the allys, not so many planes and army in the pacific)
3. a german expidition corps (tank divisions + airforce) can help in china, it will possible that japan conquered china in the year 43
4. it is possible that england will be defeated in the middle east and germany and japan can conquered india
5. After china and possible india fall, the whole japan army (eventually german troops too) can fight in the year 44 in the pacific
In my opinion, this will be a nice scenario, anything is possible

It might be possible to build something like this if you really enjoy TOTAL NONSENSE.
Nazi Germany was NOT going to defeat Soviet Russia in the summer of 1941. No how,
no way. It was impossible to go far enough and fast enough with an army that was 90%
horse drawn to do that. If you think it was, then you've "got your headquarters where
your hindquarters should be". But even if it were:

1) The Trans-Siberian RR would be 4,000 miles of demolitions, sabotage, and Partisans..,
worthless for years.
2) It would take 75-100 divisions of manpower to garrison/occupy/hold down the Russians
for quite a while.
3) LOTS O LUCK See #1 above.
4) Defeating England in the Middle East does is no guarantee (look at your lines of supply)
and if accomplished doesn't guarantee anything vs. India.
5) If China could be conquered (and the "whole japan army" had been trying to do that
since 1937), You would still need most of it to garrison the place.

IMHO, this is the kind of pipedream that comes frome sniffing too much glue and playing
to much "Risk". No one who's seriously studied the period and the realities of logistics
could possibly come up with it. But if that's what you want to play, then I imagine the
editor can be "bullied" into giving you some sore of replica of the situation you describe.
But WHY?

Why do you give a damn, for Christ's sakes??? This a GAME. Not a simulation for a college level military history class.

Far to many of you people take this crap far too seriously. If I want to make a COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS scenario to try and have more fun than living with the actual history, so what??? And especially since we have been assured the AI is as brain dead as a 1984 Apple II game, we have to have something to be able to make things "different" after a few runs throught the game.

Post #: 76
RE: Set up - 5/8/2004 9:33:22 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

This is basically the process that most designers adopt for their "difficulty settings"---it
becomes more of a question of how much do you want to let the AI "cheat". The AI
never gets any "smarter", or adopts a clever strategy..., it just gets bigger, better, and/
or more units to play with.

Which is excactly what AI's in 1983 on an Apple IIc game did. Good to see the effort in this area has come so far.....

Post #: 77
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/8/2004 5:31:14 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

quote:

But if that's what you want to play, then I imagine the
editor can be "bullied" into giving you some sort of replica of the situation you describe.

Why do you give a damn, for Christ's sakes??? This a GAME. Not a simulation for a college level military history class.

Far to many of you people take this crap far too seriously. If I want to make a COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS scenario to try and have more fun than living with the actual history, so what??? And especially since we have been assured the AI is as brain dead as a 1984 Apple II game, we have to have something to be able to make things "different" after a few runs throught the game.

ZOOMIE As I stated in the quote above, I DON'T CARE what you want to play. Toss
in Godzilla and the Martians if you want! I was making a point that the assumptions
I was citing were pretty far-fetched, and if a player was going to look for more realistic
variants to "test his mettle" those weren't them. But if you want to play "Sgt. ROCK and
his Howling Commandos tour the Pacific", be my guest. You pays your money, and you
play your fantasy.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 78
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/8/2004 6:13:47 PM   
Von Rom

I'm not really sure I understand what all the fuss is about.

I don't think hypothetical scenario design has to be 100% historical nor 100% fantasy.

Rather, the editor will allow us to add enough units for the AI to give players a good run for their money in single play. This is after all what most of us want in a wargame.

If, after playing WiTP for a while, I find the AI too easy, I will be more than happy (with no qualms) to give more ships to the AI (ie the Japanese) and place them in a more advantageous position. I want to be challenged, and the editor will allow us to increase the challenge as we desire.

I will be looking forward to the more skilled scenario designers who will tweak some of the default scenarios so that they will really test our skills as commanders.

Cheers!

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 5/8/2004 4:19:20 PM >

Post #: 79
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/8/2004 7:27:21 PM   
pasternakski

I will try this one more time.

When a game idea is decided on for publication, you've got to design the game engine around the idea. In the case of UV, for example, the engine was to have been what the designers saw as an operational-level simulation of theater-level command in WWII South Pacific. Many of the mechanics, such as AI selection of TF targets for air groups on naval attack missions, grew from this design basis.

So far, so good. Then the game was published, and all he11 broke loose. It became apparent that players wanted more control, that they wanted weapons systems to perform differently from the way they were designed into the game, that they wanted to explore more "what ifs" through the editor. Many patches later, the game is in some ways very different from the game that was published.

This trend appears to be prevailing through the course of the WitP development. Now, I have no problem with the direction things are going in except this: the game becomes something different from what was originally intended, leaving me wondering what the game would have been had the original design idea been adhered to.

I hope we all enjoy fiddling around with the editor. I believe, however, that we're only kidding ourselves if we think that the game system is going to allow us to build scenarios that are faithful to rational models of "what if" history by merely changing the characteristics of weapons systems and other items accessible through the editor.

For example, it looks like you will be able to build what appears to be a 1920s war between the U.S. and Japan. Think about the amount of the game system that is focused on aircraft as they performed during the actual time frame of WWII that you will by trying to ignore in doing this. Think about the map and presentation of communication links as they were in the '40s, not the '20s. Ship repair. Troop and equipment reinforcement and replacement rates. The AI (both as opponent and subordinate). How good a simulation will you wind up with? If the game was designed from its inception to present a hypothetical war of this nature set in the '20s, it might have been a good, interesting game. This beast will be nothing but a sad bastardization of a game that was, and is, intended to do something else.

My problem is this. If game design becomes enslaved by those who want nothing but "wargame construction kits," we all lose. I prefer games that remain true to their initial concept. Some flexibility is necessary, of course, in the design process, but I think that modifications "on the fly" should be carefully considered by the design team before being thrown in to satisfy those who refuse to be satisfied with the game as published.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 80
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/8/2004 9:20:19 PM   
norsemanjs

You make a good point, in that WiTP is modeling the infrastructure of the 40's and that if you make an 20's or 30's scenario in the editor it will not be able to model the infrastructure of the scenario time frame.

For example the resources of many of the areas would not be nearly as developed. Industrial expansion of the 20's and 30's in this part of the world was significant and would have to be modified to historically reflect reality.

If you are not that concerned wth that level of detail, go for it. That is the whole point of the editor.. It takes some of the heat off of the developers, if you want some wild crazy scenario or don't agree with a particular unit rating the developers can simply tell you " don't worry, you can use the editor to change nearly anything" thereby saving them a lot of time and speeding the eventual delivery of this game to our doors!

I'm sure that most people using this forum will use the editor to some degree once they've tried some of the included scenario's.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 81
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/8/2004 10:05:35 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norseman
If you are not that concerned wth that level of detail, go for it. That is the whole point of the editor.. It takes some of the heat off of the developers, if you want some wild crazy scenario or don't agree with a particular unit rating the developers can simply tell you " don't worry, you can use the editor to change nearly anything" thereby saving them a lot of time and speeding the eventual delivery of this game to our doors!

Sure, and more power to 'em. This is a hobby, and it is supposed to be fun.

I just don't want simulation game design to degenerate into nothing more than pandering to whimsy (sorry, I've been reading early 20th century British essayists again).

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to norsemanjs)
Post #: 82
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/8/2004 10:12:30 PM   
Point Luck

quote:

I'm sure that most people using this forum will use the editor to some degree once they've tried some of the included scenario's.

I for one have been playing only edited versions of UV for the last year or so. My opponents and I never have a problem agreeing to the editing rules for a game. We then do our own editing. This way we never know what the other side has changed.

For the last 6 months we maxed out the total amount of ships and A/C that the game would permit, just so we can practice micro-managment on a large scale just to get ready for the big one. Meanwhile have one great time blowing each other out of the water.

(in reply to norsemanjs)
Post #: 83
RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? - 5/8/2004 10:46:57 PM   
bilbow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Point Luck

quote:

I for one have been playing only edited versions of UV for the last year or so. My opponents and I never have a problem agreeing to the editing rules for a game. We then do our own editing. This way we never know what the other side has changed.

For the last 6 months we maxed out the total amount of ships and A/C that the game would permit, just so we can practice micro-managment on a large scale just to get ready for the big one. Meanwhile have one great time blowing each other out of the water.

To each their own I suppose. For me I've been quite happy playing the standard campaigns ever since UV was first publiched. I don't think I have ever even opened the editor, much less played with it. I expect with WITP I will start out with a couple of full-map scenarios then move on to the big one. And be happily gaming for years to come. If in times to come there is an edited scenario out there that by concensus improves the historicity of the game and is reasonably balanced then I may try it. We are however a long way from that point.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill

(in reply to Point Luck)
Post #: 84
RE: Thanks for info Joel! - 5/9/2004 11:08:21 PM   
CynicAl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

But how come no Midway scenario?

I can think of at least one very good reason for Midway not to be included - the historical information disparity at the Battle of Midway is difficult to reproduce, and it's even harder to do in a "Midway Scenario." Midway was an ambush, not a set-piece battle. The US knew where the Japanese CVs would be at a particular time; the Japanese, on the other hand, did not know the US CVs were anywhere in the area (and in fact were operating on the assumption that the USN, in accordance with the Japanese script, was halfway to the Aleutians).

In a "Midway Scenario," the Japanese player knows he's in for a CV battle before the game starts. Randomizing the starting positions isn't enough to solve the problem, unless the USN presence (not just position) is also randomized, with a high probability of the Americans showing up later, or not at all - and also a near-certainty that the invasion will fail if the Japanese player does not adequately support the landings (say, because he's keeping Kido Butai in reserve against a possible appearance by the US CVs). Any "Midway Scenario" that doesn't include a pretty huge level of uncertainty for the Japanese player isn't really a Midway scenario. Similarly, the US player in a "Leyte Gulf Scenario" should never know in advance whether Ozawa's carriers are a real danger or toothless decoys. Hindsight is a b- err, beast, in tactical-level games.

Some days you're the windshield.
Some days you're the bug.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 85
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: WHAT WILL BE THE CHOICES? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI