Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The use of gliders?!?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The use of gliders?!? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The use of gliders?!? - 11/19/2001 9:22:00 PM   
pax27

How do I take advantage of the Gliders in the game?
What are the pros and cons of the Glider?
Are they infact useless?
And another note, why does the Cargo Aircrafts (at lest german) carry only 20 men when a platoon of FJ has 44 men? It´s pretty darn hard to get ´em all in without wasting a cargo plane just for the MG´s? argh...

Post #: 1
- 11/19/2001 9:48:00 PM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by pax27:
How do I take advantage of the Gliders in the game?
What are the pros and cons of the Glider?
Are they infact useless?
And another note, why does the Cargo Aircrafts (at lest german) carry only 20 men when a platoon of FJ has 44 men? It´s pretty darn hard to get ´em all in without wasting a cargo plane just for the MG´s? argh...

Perhaps you are thinking too small, try a company size drop with the squads loaded in ju52's and the mg's, some 28/20 at guns, your A0 and what ever will fit coming in via gliders. If you just want to get a platoon there, I would leave the mg behind to work their way overland. Gliders can bring in arty, engineers, for the Brits airborne tanks, snipers etc. I consider them more important than the paras jumping from planes. It might be less of a choice if the DFS230 had it's mg, which was supposed to be used during the landing and to support the troops just after landing.
thanks, John. thanks, John.

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 2
- 11/20/2001 5:48:00 AM   
Jack

If you want to use Gliders I recommend at least a Coy. Don't forget you also now have the option to land on other than turn 1. This makes a PBEM opponent think of what he wants to leave behind, or to attack with everybody up. I remember bringing in a whole Battalion of infantry. I learnt the hard way when you bring them in come in from the rear as to avoid AA fire at all cost. Does it ever screw up your oppenent if you are using the CC option because now he has to go the other way and hope he has enough orders for his units to do the job.

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 3
- 11/20/2001 5:52:00 PM   
ruxius

Also do not forget scenario's needs ! maybe they were not practical for two players games...where battle points are crucial..but if you play for a while an historical designer role maybe you will be very happy they are provided in the game..
As for cargo carry I have no comment..I am not sure but I would also add that we lack Cargo planes..planes which can land and deploy tanks more in addiction to infantry...
let them be leaded by AI animation I don't care ..but we lack them !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 4
- 11/20/2001 9:00:00 PM   
Salonen

In my opinion, gliders are good things. I use them in two job (In multiplayer). The first thing is to move infantry fast from point A to point B. If this is your primary task, use special forces if you can. They have weapons against anything. Land in some good area or field with some cover nearby. Then lead your small(?) group an let your enemy suffer. The second job for gliders is to be a decoy. Send some small units like snipers or other fast and small groups. When your enemy notices your gliders, he/she must send something to backhexes if there ain't anyone. And if that happens, the front will be weakened for your main forces.

The crimes against us must be revenged. Commander Saloway to General Staff

(in reply to pax27)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The use of gliders?!? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI