Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Parachute drops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Parachute drops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Parachute drops - 5/27/2000 6:04:00 AM   
grockall

When you do a parachute drop is there any advantage in dropping actual paratroop units instead of regular infantry. I bought 2 FJ Plts and as i had spare room in the planes dropped a regular inf plt as well.They both dropped and suppression appeared similar for all.

Post #: 1
- 5/27/2000 11:24:00 AM   
Redleg

The main advantage I see to using airborne troops is that in general, they are higher quality than line infantry and more able to defend themselves or reach whatever objectives you have in mind for them. Redleg

(in reply to grockall)
Post #: 2
- 5/27/2000 7:07:00 PM   
grockall

I agree paras would be preferable to regular infantry. But what about engineers? Flamethrowers ,satchel charges and laying mines .What I really want to know is if actual para units suffer less suppresion during the first turn after landing.

(in reply to grockall)
Post #: 3
- 5/27/2000 7:26:00 PM   
Wild Bill

I honestly don't have an answer for that. You should try it in a test. If you do, let us know. I'd be very interested in knowing that...Wild Bill ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to grockall)
Post #: 4
- 5/27/2000 9:49:00 PM   
grockall

I have done a few experiments. Dropping a FJ Plt and an Eng Plt 10 times each grass gives broadly the same suppression 0-2 for all. Dropping them on buildings givs a similar result. The FJ plt in fact suffered no suppression at all 5 times when landing on or next to buildings. If it does not do so at the moment I certainly would like to see terrain type affecting the suppression of landed units. I have also dropped a FJ Plt 5 on top of a Soviet Rifle Plt suppression was higher 3-8 but once rallied 4 out of the 5 times they were able to wipe out the Soviets. The MG Squad being able to fire its MG during the first turn after landing helped. The way paratroops are handled at the moment means that the enemy gets no opportunity fire as they land and the mg squad is not considered to have moved so can fire right away.

(in reply to grockall)
Post #: 5
- 5/28/2000 8:36:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Good point. THose MGs should be fixed. Thanks...WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to grockall)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Parachute drops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI