Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Most Favorite Things About SPWAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Most Favorite Things About SPWAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most Favorite Things About SPWAW - 11/26/2001 8:46:00 PM   
LilJoe

Apart from the joy of playing the most realistic and historically accurate tactical game on WWII, here are my favorite things in the game: 1. Melee- Between the shouting, shooting and explosions, melee provides the most exciting 2 seconds in the game!
2. Tank Overrun- Almost as exciting as melee. I once had a squad of Greek soldiers fight back a tank overrun with shouting, shooting and grenades before succumbing!
3. An experienced squad of Rangers taking out 3 PzIV's with an M-9 bazooka in 1 turn! With men like that who needs tanks!
4. The "fog of war". Having your favorite tank "schrecked" by an AT team that snuck up on them unawares. Assaulting a PzIV with your favorite Pershing only to have 3 Kingtigers appear with it at the end of your movement turn. Ouch!
What are your favorite things?

"Victory Through Superior Marksmanship"
Post #: 1
- 11/26/2001 9:58:00 PM   
mao

1. It's free ;
2. That scenario I played a long time ago, among my first 10 scenarios (it's the Kanev Bridgehead scenario), when I maneuvered a Tiger behind Russian lines and took out 4 T-34s in 5 shots - I was still learning the game, but at that point I was hooked;

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 2
- 11/26/2001 11:36:00 PM   
gnoccop

Scenario Editor, PBEM, customization, matrix support, playability...

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 3
- 11/27/2001 12:36:00 AM   
RUsco

The People here at the forums and those I have had the privaledge to work with on Mega Campaign North Africa and Watchtower.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 4
- 11/27/2001 12:37:00 AM   
lnp4668

Definitely the community.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 5
- 11/27/2001 1:55:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

I go with lnp4668, that's why I launched the Fans site .

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 6
- 11/27/2001 2:42:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

I'd say that my favorite thing about SP:WaW is the support the staff of Matrix and fellow gamers give each other here in the forums. It makes a great game even better. Eric Maietta

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 7
- 11/27/2001 3:57:00 AM   
scimitar

What i like is the good spirit developed around the game...

Pour une dent toute la gueule!

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 8
- 11/27/2001 4:33:00 AM   
generalrichmond

So much support, so much interest. Makes it GREAT! I luvvv the graphics, the updated armor/hit system. Basically, most of it.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 9
- 11/27/2001 4:51:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Thanks William! What a pleasure to work with you! It has been one of my favorite parts of this game, the fine testers and designers that have worked with me during these last two years. And of course, the support of the gaming community. What a privilege to have friends all over the world. But as to the game itself, my favorite thing is its versatility. No other game anywhere offers you as many options for design or play as SPWAW. That is what makes it so special for me. So many tools! So little time! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 10
- 11/27/2001 5:36:00 AM   
Possum

Hello All
For me, It's SPWAW ability to portray campaigns.
I like watching my green troopers slowly become veterans.
Also nice is its't ability to re-create many of the murphy's rules of combat.
ie
Your equipment has been made by the lowest bidder...
Incoming fire has right of way...
Never share a foxhole with someone braver than you....
Friendly fire isn't...
When your out of Ammo, Ideas, and Men; Your in combat.
If things are going to plan, your walking into an ambush.
these are just some that come to mind.
I also particuarly like how no matter which side I play, the other side's equipment and men seem so much better. or, The enemys Uberequipment is my worthless piece of Metal.

"We're having a war, and we want you to come!"
So the pig began to whistle and to pound on a drum.
"We'll give you a gun, and we'll give you a hat!"
And the pig began to whistle when they told the piggies that.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 11
- 11/27/2001 5:41:00 AM   
Nikademus

That its painless. (physically at least) If i had to learn the battlefield lessons i've learned here out in the real life i'd be in a full body cast.
oh that and that there's a "reset" button

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 12
- 11/27/2001 9:37:00 AM   
bradmbrown

For me, the best thing about the game would be a lessen I have gleaned from the community here: There are intelligent, reasoned and thoughtfull arguments for both the left wing and the right wings take on the world and their responses to it. Yes, I like that. I no longer fear and despise right wingers and I no longer pity and poo poo the left. I like that a lot. Grognards are thoughtful, mostly. Thank you, thank you very much. I would like to dedicate the next somg to my mumma...

Don't let the past remind you of what you are not now

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 13
- 11/27/2001 10:07:00 AM   
Huffy

Whats not to love....the game, the people,the support,...friends we've made here.I think it's all great.
Take care...
Huffy

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 14
- 11/28/2001 4:21:00 AM   
RockinHarry

All from above and....the expandability! _________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 15
- 11/28/2001 8:41:00 PM   
panda124c

Two M4's (not M4A1 or anything like that) on the hill behind the Panthers, three dead Panthers. The ATR that fought the overrun and kill the tank. The endless hours of entertainment.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 16
- 11/28/2001 9:42:00 PM   
Jackk

In no particular order: The scenario generator (Wild Bill)
The campaigns
The W-I-D-E selections of units
This forum (heated talking battles of armor slope and T/D ratio make me laugh)
The fact that I might still be playing SP2 if it weren't for this mod
Learning so much military stuff and never having been in battle Landing my Marines on an enemy beach under heavy fire, taking losses on the boats from AT guns and pillboxes, taking more losses on landing from mines and artillery that comes in right after, getting shot up on landing from MGs and infantry dug in and waiting, and shot up some more while trying to clear enough mines for the main force to land. Popping tons of smoke to cove those landings while support craft make beach runs trying to suppress some of the enemy fire, taking more losses from the pillboxes. Finally clearing a good 4 hex lane in the mines and bringing the main force in. Annhilating the enemy in revenge for the losses at the beach while taking more losses from hidden caves and ambushing infantry.
And when it's all over, getting a draw for my efforts. Any game that continues to provide battles like that, over and over again, will stay on my hard drive for a long time. Thanks Matrix!

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 17
- 11/28/2001 10:46:00 PM   
Taz

What do I like Most about SPWAW 1) Wild Bill's scenarios and campaigns.
2) Its not SPWW2 that needs DOS or old hardware to play.
3) TCP/IP Play. Taz

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 18
- 11/29/2001 4:10:00 AM   
Belisarius

What I like about SPWAW: It's the one game where I can lose (and get badly beat up in the process) and still think it's a load of fun. Not that I lose a lot, but anyway.. Funny thing about Wild Bill's scenarios: I've played them a lot, and I know to expect - literally - anything and everything. And I still end up surprised every know and then! "an AT gun? there?...but... I was sure they wouldn't...."

Got StuG?

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 19
- 11/29/2001 4:50:00 AM   
choco

Things I Like a most : The Big Push up from the SP 1,2 and 3... The ENCYCLOPEDIA, database inside the game is maybe one of the best aviable in only a "small" volume... and the ability to test on field those stuff... The way all countries are represented (I'm Polish so it's maybe the first not caricatural representation of Polish units in a game (apart maybe in ASL), even if there is still matter to discuss.)
Endless hours of play, support by Matrix, Community around it, replayability etc... Hej Polacy !

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 20
- 11/29/2001 10:37:00 AM   
11Bravo

The community, with special recognition to Alexandra's AARs and any post by Wild Bill.

Squatting in the bush and marking it on a map.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 21
- 11/29/2001 9:29:00 PM   
pax27

"What do I get for ten dollars?"
"Anything you want, me love you long time..." What do I get for free?
A home away from home, shaking from the cold in the russian winter, sneaking in the buches of france, looking through the rangefinder equipment of a Tiger tank...
Everything I´ve ever wanted in a wargame, that´s all!!!

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 22
- 11/29/2001 11:39:00 PM   
Mikimoto

The thing I love most of Spwaw, today, is when I post something I don't like of the game, or makes me angry about the Oob files...
And AmmoSgt replies quickly with a Master lesson, a pair of links and a burst of bullets...

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 23
- 11/29/2001 11:50:00 PM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Mikimoto:
The thing I love most of Spwaw, today, is when I post something I don't like of the game, or makes me angry about the Oob files...
And AmmoSgt replies quickly with a Master lesson, a pair of links and a burst of bullets...

Hell hath no fury like a ...

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 24
- 11/30/2001 4:28:00 AM   
Reg

..... the US OOB scorned???????

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 25
- 11/30/2001 5:12:00 AM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Reg:
..... the US OOB scorned???????
for the love of a German OOB???

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 26
- 11/30/2001 5:33:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Posted by LilJoe:"1. Melee- Between the shouting, shooting and explosions, melee provides the most exciting 2 seconds in the game!" Hmmm...that kinda reminds me of an old girlfriend. (Can't let my wife see THAT one!)
Seriously, though, the community is the best thing I've discovered thru SPWaW. I've met some great people here. Previously I was playing only operational level WWII PC games, but this one opened my eyes to the world of tactical combat. Makes me wish I'd actually played more Panzerblitz way back when. I was also previously a German/Japanese navy/Confederate gamer, but now I'm completely enamored with the history & tactics of the Few and the Proud. I'll never look at "Sands of Iwo Jima" the same way again. By the same token, I'm sure that other gamers have learned to appreciate and begin study of aspects of WWII that they never had a prior interest in. No one can tell me that gameplaying does not promote an appreciation of historical events, and that it is not a valuable teaching aid. It may even be a way that teachers can liven up a dreadfully dull history class--by incorporating a game like this into an interactive "you are there" lesson on an event that, to today's kids (OUR kids), may seem as distant and irrelevant to their world as the discovery of Antarctica. Oops, I'm preaching again--sorry. You get my point.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 27
- 12/1/2001 3:49:00 AM   
ruxius

Air attacks animations ! interacting with AA-fire...I LOVE AI animations ! They always leave me really astonished...

OP fire concept ! it's the soul of the enemy !

SPWAW the ONE and the ONLY !

As regards my devotion to Matrix and its LEGENDARY CREW of HEROES my call for the Loyalists is full of praises and everlasting love !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 28
- 12/4/2001 10:51:00 AM   
Capt. Pixel

Oh yeah - the air attacks - I particularly like watching an enemy plane cartwheel into my infantry lines.
From the wide open desert of Libya to the narrow jungle trails of Burma and the bocage country of France to the frozen steppes of Russia - Like MicroSoft says "Where do you want to go today?" There couldn't be a wider set of possibilities with this game that my meager mind could even hope to comprehend. This has got to be the most flexible, replayable, enjoyable game I've ever had the pleasure to play. Thank you again, Matrix.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 29
- 12/8/2001 12:54:00 AM   
Randy

I bought SP when it first came out, and SPWAW is such a vast improvement. Some of my first impressions that made this a better game include the ability to actually air drop your paratroopers. The old way of just placing your paratroopers on the map was kinda weak. When I first got SPWAW I spent days just dropping paratroopers all over the place! The variety in this game is fantastic. Its all the small little things (ie bicycle units, cavalry types, fortifications that are non-generic, ships etc.)that really add to this game. Probably the biggest asset to this game is this forum. Everyone who has something to say has in fact contributed to this game! All the info that we discuss has helped make this a great game. Plus all the work by Wild Bill, Paul, Dave, and the other members of Team Matrix who I don't know. All
these elements have made SPWAW the BEST tactical WWII game out there. That is why it is the only WWII game I have played or bought!! Thanks guys, thanks Team MATRIX!!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Most Favorite Things About SPWAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI