Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MCSE oob Error Problem:

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> MCSE oob Error Problem: Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MCSE oob Error Problem: - 5/20/2004 2:45:53 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

I have been playing the 506th thread and have reached a battle entitled 'Clearing "Hell's Highway"'. When I clicked on the 'continue' button, a flurry of 'Error cannot load oob ###' messages appeared at the bottom of the screen. Then the 'Germany vs. Germany' screen appeared and the game crased when I clicked the 'continue' button on this screen. I don't have a N#S#, as I never made it to the map. However, there were no alternate battles availabe.

Thanks for any help with this!

Eric Maietta

Post #: 1
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 5/20/2004 3:08:20 PM   
lexxan

The only way I found to solve this bug is saving at the beginning of every scenario all files and placing them in a separate folder so that if the game crash you can always restart it from the beginning of the last scenario. The crash happened to me random and never since I started the a.m. little boring procedure. Maybe in the meantime somebody made a patch for it, I dunno.

(in reply to AbsntMndedProf)
Post #: 2
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 5/20/2004 4:29:59 PM   
Resisti

No, problem is still there since I ran into it recently with MCSE.
Lexxan's workaround is the safest one I can think of, and what I actually do, too.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to lexxan)
Post #: 3
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 5/20/2004 4:59:41 PM   
Jim1954

Eric, I MIGHT have a good save of that one at home. I'll check tonight and send it to you if I do.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Resisti)
Post #: 4
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 5/20/2004 5:14:18 PM   
AbsntMndedProf

quote:

ORIGINAL: lexxan

The only way I found to solve this bug is saving at the beginning of every scenario all files and placing them in a separate folder so that if the game crash you can always restart it from the beginning of the last scenario. The crash happened to me random and never since I started the a.m. little boring procedure. Maybe in the meantime somebody made a patch for it, I dunno.

Thanks for the tip, Lexxan! Does anyone have the files for the beginning of 'Clearing "Hell's Highway"' they could email to me? I hate to start the 506th all over again after making it this far.

Thanks!

Eric Maietta

(in reply to lexxan)
Post #: 5
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 5/21/2004 3:56:23 PM   
Jim1954

Sorry AMP, I don't have that one.

Jim1954
KMC/T

Post #: 6
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 5/25/2004 7:51:13 AM   
axor

Hi All, my first post on this venerable forum.

I've been at SPWAW for a while now and decided to try out the MC, it was disappointing to never get after the first or second scenario without a crash and then be unable to reload the game becuase of the error "unable to load OOB data ____".

Surely Matrix Games can deal with this issue ??

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 7
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 8/15/2004 12:47:27 AM   
bob55

I get the same thing with the Glider thread, usually five or six scenarios in. I did the usual, with the deletion of the steel.prf, no fix. Have yet to finish as the same thing happens every time I've tried the 325th. Sounds now like it's not just one thread, but possibly all four?

(in reply to axor)
Post #: 8
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 10/1/2004 11:52:50 PM   
Wild Bill

The error message that you are seeing is in essence saying that the computer or game cannot find something that it needs to load and play that particular scenario.

I have played through all four threads and had that happen only once. I used the versions that you are using for play.

I do not know why this is happening to you. When you try to start again after getting this message, using your save file, tell me what you come up with, same scenario, different scenario, skipped scenario or just a dead end?

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to bob55)
Post #: 9
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 10/6/2004 7:58:24 AM   
Major Destruction

I have played many of these threads and have never had any kind of crash. I always save, every turn (well almost) and back it up. It is simply a routine that I perform for my own purposes.

I am wondering if it is related to the computer storage or some other computer related problem.

Perhaps if you play too many scenarios in succession you computer gets overloaded and can't continue?

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 10/6/2004 10:58:00 PM   
chief

Maybe too many things running in the background.

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 11
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 11/1/2004 12:57:28 AM   
88mmsurprize

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

The error message that you are seeing is in essence saying that the computer or game cannot find something that it needs to load and play that particular scenario.

I have played through all four threads and had that happen only once. I used the versions that you are using for play.

I do not know why this is happening to you. When you try to start again after getting this message, using your save file, tell me what you come up with, same scenario, different scenario, skipped scenario or just a dead end?

WB

I've tried to play the Screaming Eagles campaign several times. I've never been able to complete the 1st scenario without a computer freeze. It seems to be triggered by right clicking on a unit, or one time, by accidentally hitting the space bar. Or perhaps it is random. The screen goes black and locks up the pc.

Upon restart, when trying to reload the saved game, it tells me that the OOB's are not valid and I get a screen showing both sides as Germans! Another troublesome feature is that the program won't allow me to save at will. It just says that it saves automatically and to click to continue. Therefore I can't back up the game and lose it when the game crashes.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 11/1/2004 2:14:10 AM   
rich12545

I suspect the problem is that the megas were designed for previous versions of spwaw and won't work properly with a newer version because some oobs have changed. In that case the megas all need to be patched. I brought this up a couple months ago but David posted and assured me that there would be no problem. Looks he might have been wrong.

(in reply to 88mmsurprize)
Post #: 13
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 11/27/2004 10:01:26 AM   
Wild Bill

It is often difficult to pinpoint a problem. There could be various causes for this happening. I have played through all of the MCSE campaign more than once and after exhaustive testing, found only one error in progression. For that I have posted a patch for the Mega Campaign.

As I explained above, an error message saying that the MC cannot find units does happen. It means that the MC for some reason cannot find the proper units or the scenario. It should not happen. But it does. I know for a fact that all the scenarios are there. That has been checked any number of times. So it can't be that.

The save program has been a problem for me too. It is something the creator of MC system wanted and since it was "his baby," I had to go along with what he wished. He did not want the opportunity to save turn by turn. Of course, that is well and good, but when you have hiccups in the game, it becomes very frustrating.

For that reason, I keep saves. I remove them from the save directory after naming them in such a way as to identify them. Remember, they must be no more than 8 letters (or numbers) in length.

Even with these difficulties that are rare but do happen, the MC program is one of the most fun programs I have ever played.

One more thing, the 8.3 version should not have any effect on MCSE. I have not had a chance to check Watchtower or Desert Fox as yet.

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 14
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 11/27/2004 11:25:14 AM   
Warrior2

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

I suspect the problem is that the megas were designed for previous versions of spwaw and won't work properly with a newer version because some oobs have changed. In that case the megas all need to be patched. I brought this up a couple months ago but David posted and assured me that there would be no problem. Looks he might have been wrong.

David was not wrong. I've played all MCSE threads completely through without any problems, changing versions in the middle as I went.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 15
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 2/1/2005 2:29:59 AM   
Wild Bill

The same has been true with me. THis makes it difficult for me to try to solve these problems. I'm sure that they are happening but I'm not sure from a distance and without seeing the game in action on a particular computer plus the setup just what causes this. I wish I could.

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Warrior2)
Post #: 16
RE: MCSE oob Error Problem: - 3/19/2005 8:28:17 PM   
mh55555

I recently purchased the Lost Victories Mega Campaign (February 2005) and have hit the same snag at Potapov Strikes Again (Malin-Korosten Area). Tells me that it cannot load OOB, goes to the player control screen - both sides Germany, then blacks out. Is there a fix or can anyone send me a workable save file (do not really want to start over again). Help?

Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> MCSE oob Error Problem: Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI