Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/21/2004 1:25:15 AM   
Liveline99

Ok, I have read the post by Didz on to buy or not to buy this game. In the end he bought it....hurray! Maybe Didz or others can give me a rating between 1 and 10, now that you have some gaming time under you belts. 1 being avoid at all costs, and 10 being a must buy, possibly the wargame of the year.
Post #: 1
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/21/2004 2:21:41 AM   
Hanal

7......it is a fun game to play but there still are some issues that need to be ironed out, which you can find out about in other posts....for the price, it is well worth it....

(in reply to Liveline99)
Post #: 2
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/21/2004 2:07:07 PM   
Didz

Its really hard to rate a game like this becuase direct comparison's with other games like C&C Generals or even MTW don't make much sense.

I would say as a package for refighting the 1805-1809 campaign it provides about 60% of what I would like.

So, 6 out of 10.

What it doesn't have is:

• A large scale campaign map that I can plan my grand strategy and plot my intelligence on.
  • A zoom out feature.
  • A tactical battle system.

But, what it does, it does really well and at present it doesn't have any real competition.

Big plus of course is the ability to fight the tactical battles off-line and feed back the results. That has been something I've argued for for years and Frank is the first designer to actually do it.

An integral tactical battle system (a la N1813) would have rocketted this game to the 10/10 slot provided it worked. Unfortunately, as N1813 proved if it didn't work it would have dragged a perfectly good game down with it. So, I'm glad in a way Frank never took the risk.

Now if someone were to produce an excellent free-standing tactical battle system which could be used to fight the battles seperately that would make my life complete.

p.s. I already have the design if anyones interested.

< Message edited by Didz -- 5/21/2004 12:02:48 PM >

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 3
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/21/2004 3:27:12 PM   
DoomedMantis

For doing what it is designed to do I think the game is quite good. I have played one campaign so far and really enjoyed it.

To have a battle feature would really flesh out the game for me as well, and I think campaigns on this scale are ideally suited to this, espcially PBEM or even TCP for the battles.

My main gripes are some map issues, Ill give it a 7 1/2

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 4
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/21/2004 3:50:49 PM   
gipat

I would rate it a 7.Excellent in most respects!Biggest lacks as noted previously are planning map and a tactical battle system would make it a 10. Overall well worth the price!

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 5
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/21/2004 6:45:50 PM   
Didz

I'm feel stingy now. Like Simon Cowl of the CotD panel

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to gipat)
Post #: 6
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/22/2004 6:30:39 AM   
Liveline99

Didz, from your previous post I kinda suspected you'd be a tad bit stingy. I'm currently still waffling. Come on, somebody please make up my mind

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 7
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/22/2004 6:49:45 AM   
DoomedMantis

Id say buy it. Its cheap and provides good entertainment. With Full FOW it also provides a good challenge, and is also good for PBEM, which is where I think it will really shine.

Go for it my son.

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

(in reply to Liveline99)
Post #: 8
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/22/2004 6:53:29 AM   
Liveline99

Does anyone know of any Ladders that support this game?

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 9
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/22/2004 12:31:25 PM   
Didz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Liveline99
Didz, from your previous post I kinda suspected you'd be a tad bit stingy.

I looked at it from the negative viewpoint of 'What doesn't this game do that I would like it to'. But its still the best Napoleonic Stragegy game on the market at present.

By comparison for instance if I were to rate UV it would get 2/10 at best and thats supposed to be the best wargame on the market if you believe all the hype.

Talonsoft games 3/10 (only a very vague representation of Napoleonic tactical battle and very gamey)

N1813 1/10 but should have been 10/10 if they had hired the right team.

Didz
Fortis balore et armis

(in reply to Liveline99)
Post #: 10
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/23/2004 2:51:22 AM   
Treefrog

Liveline99,

If this was face to face it would be a beer and pretzels game. It is a delight to simply suspend your modern take on things, let yourself drift back to a simpler time and imagine yourself just sitting on a campstool with a map, receiving dispatches. No radios, no satellite photos, no air recon; just cryptic messages, sometimes incorrect, by candlelight.

You don't react to everything and you don't expect instant execution. You plan way ahead allowing for couriers to carry messages, command staffs to pass them on through local orders, and tactical units to implement them. As the classicists say, "you create great combinations" against your adversary.

I've been playing these games for 46 years now. A key to enjoying the game is simply to watch Frank Hunter's system operate; it is an exercise in his perception of how things functioned, how things happened. If it were face to face, my friends and I would enjoy watching the successful combinations unfold as much as watching the disasters start to take shape.

If you are a "horse**** and blackpowder" kinda player, you'll probably like it. For the price, I would rate it a "best buy".

Treefrog
a Civil War reenactor that enjoys Napoleonics of any description whatsoever

(in reply to Liveline99)
Post #: 11
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 5/23/2004 6:55:13 AM   
Liveline99

SOLD...I,ve purchased the game...thanks to everyone that responded to my post.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 12
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 8/5/2004 8:35:21 PM   
Leatherneck_NC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treefrog

I've been playing these games for 46 years now.

Wow another old fart. I was afraid I would be one of the only oldsters here :)

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 13
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 8/6/2004 11:06:31 AM   
Jonathan Palfrey

I reckon I've had an interest in wargames for about 37 years, will that do?

(in reply to Leatherneck_NC)
Post #: 14
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 8/6/2004 5:40:43 PM   
Leatherneck_NC

Heck yeah that will do. Glad to see some old timers on here. The first one I ever played was Panzer Blitz. My folks bought if for me for my 12th B'day. Been hooked ever since. I'm 47 now so I have been playing these crazy things about 35 years now myself.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
-George Orwell

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 15
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 8/6/2004 6:18:11 PM   
Toby42

I'm 62 and I've been pushing counters for ...... what did I come in here for?????

Tony

Post #: 16
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 8/7/2004 4:42:26 AM   
dwinston

This is a good game - it needs a zoom out feature so you can see the whole map and the resolution neds to be higher so you can see more of the map in normal mode as well. You can download a coy of the overall map so you can so it all at once from some location that is identified in other posts.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 17
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 8/7/2004 6:46:17 PM   
Bis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leatherneck_NC

Heck yeah that will do. Glad to see some old timers on here. The first one I ever played was Panzer Blitz. My folks bought if for me for my 12th B'day. Been hooked ever since. I'm 47 now so I have been playing these crazy things about 35 years now myself.

I'm 54 and have been doing serious games since the Age of 10 starting with the Milton Bradley original Battleground.

Jim Cobb

Post #: 18
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 8/7/2004 7:14:55 PM   
Toby42

Our ages aside, Is this game worth buying now with the latest patch????

Tony

(in reply to Bis)
Post #: 19
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 8/8/2004 12:45:49 AM   
Bis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

Our ages aside, Is this game worth buying now with the latest patch????

It was always worth buying - now only more so.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 20
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 9/13/2004 7:12:40 PM   
kayjay

Im a Napoleonic miniatures player and have done the 1809 campaign multiplayer - took about 2 years with our local Napoleonics wargame club (many of whom have passed on now) - is this doable with two people who would have the game ? Or is a 3rd party needed ?

What I mean is it playable as two player PBEM with the tactical battles resolved outside the game system and then input into it ?

HOw about maps for the tactical part and timing / order of arrival and multi day battles (a la Wagram)

Kevin Kelley

(in reply to Bis)
Post #: 21
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 9/16/2004 11:03:11 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Didz

Oh, man..... what a tragedy that game was.

It had SO much potential, and I was really looking forward to it. Then... I remember I won my first game (can't remember the scenario, now) easily, without even bothering with such things as recruiting more troops etc. So I pushed up the difficulty to max... still didn't bother with "trivia" such as recruitment and supply and still won easily. I remember watching a Corps of Prussians spending a game year marching up and down the same 50 km of road while I sent Davout on a casual march to capture Berlin

Never played it again... I think the team was fine (the team was disbanded on "completion"), it was just a classic publisher's "kick the game out the door six months too early" job.

Back on topic 6-7/10 Make that the 7 because of value for money, but even so it doesn't quite hit the spot. Hard to say why, really.. although the UI could be a lot better.

(in reply to Didz)
Post #: 22
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 9/18/2004 3:59:21 PM   
LarkinVB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Didz

Oh, man..... what a tragedy that game was.

It had SO much potential, and I was really looking forward to it. Then... I remember I won my first game (can't remember the scenario, now) easily, without even bothering with such things as recruiting more troops etc. So I pushed up the difficulty to max... still didn't bother with "trivia" such as recruitment and supply and still won easily. I remember watching a Corps of Prussians spending a game year marching up and down the same 50 km of road while I sent Davout on a casual march to capture Berlin

Never played it again... I think the team was fine (the team was disbanded on "completion"), it was just a classic publisher's "kick the game out the door six months too early" job.

Did you know that there is a patch 1.2.2 and sourcecode at SourceForge ?

So go and fix all problems and make it 10/10

< Message edited by LarkinVB -- 9/18/2004 3:12:49 PM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 23
RE: Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 - 11/28/2004 9:59:34 PM   
Herrbear

Thank you all for your responses on this forum. I have added this game to my list of games I need.

(in reply to Bis)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Rate Campaign On The Danube 1-10 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI