Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Beefing up the AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Beefing up the AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Beefing up the AI - 5/22/2004 5:17:28 AM   
Warmonger

Ok, I'm getting pretty good at this guys. I think I need to start making the AI a little more challenging, so Im curious about the many settings and how most experienced players keep the game challenging.

There are several settings to increase the challenge and Im not sure what most actually do. What are:

1. The AI advantage setting in the preferences screen
2. The AI LEVEL button in the "Start Turn" screen
3. The AI LEVEL setting in preferences (XXX down with the message delay)
4. The Small/Medium/Large Battle Toggle Button in the purchase screen
5. Any other settings Ive missed...

And finally, how do most of you that play only or mostly the AI (That means you, KG) set all of the above things?

W A R M O N G E R
Post #: 1
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/23/2004 1:12:52 AM   
VikingNo2

If you send me the file I will buy and deploy the AI forces, then the CPU can take over the play it may spice things up some, if not increase the AIs experience and decrease yours that will give you some more challange

< Message edited by VikingNo2 -- 5/22/2004 1:09:52 PM >

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 2
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/23/2004 2:07:24 AM   
Warmonger

Well thanks Viking, but what file??

I am just asking about the difference between all the AI settings and how most people set them.

W A R M O N G E R

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 3
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/23/2004 2:25:19 AM   
Frank W.

i´m afraid none of these switches beef the AI up, but give it more numbers...

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 4
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/24/2004 12:50:06 AM   
Warmonger

Well, that's what Im trying to find out. I guess the question is a stupid one.

W A R M O N G E R

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 5
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/24/2004 3:20:12 PM   
robot

Im not exactlly sure on what happenswith the AI settings. But i do use two of them i think. I select hard x 2 also the AI is set at 50 % in my battles against the AI in the long campaign. I believe you beef up what the AI can purchase for his force. I never really see that much difference in the battles setting it at different settings. But that is my own observations. I do know that they always seem to have a heck of a lot more infantry and tanks then me no matter what i set it at.

Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 6
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/24/2004 3:41:07 PM   
Voriax

From the manual..AI advantage (computer advantage in the manual): Gives AI some free units
The two AI levels, the 2 and 3 in original question, are the same. It increases exp and morale of AI troops.
And the question 4...in the campaign purchase screen? Click it and see...it gives more purchase points to AI

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 7
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/24/2004 8:56:12 PM   
Warmonger

Thanks for the answers! Robot: Where is hard x 2?

< Message edited by Warmonger -- 5/24/2004 12:53:43 PM >

W A R M O N G E R

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 8
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/25/2004 2:52:41 PM   
robot

there is an easy , medium and on hard it says times 2. And as i have all my long campaign battles started. I will have to go in and set one up and let you know. Also as i am in what you call your twilight time. My friggin memory right aat this moment wont give location up. Get back with you later. Will write this down and hope i dont lose the paper i put it on.

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 9
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/25/2004 3:20:57 PM   
robot

When you start a campaign after you have picked your core force. You will go to support screen to buy the extra goodies for your first battle. At the bottom below mission in this screen. There is a button it will be on easy. One click brings up medium another has hard times 2. Hope this helps. All my long campaign battles are on hard times 2 Plus in preferences the AI is set too 50. Again i dont know how much harder it makes the AI fight or just allows him to purchase more. Also the enemy prefs are all set to 100 i have not messed with these settings other then to set buy points for my side which is at about 3300 points. Which sets what the enemy will have in points by the type of battle that is to be fought. What all this does i have not tried to figure out. I am hoping that the AI will do better in this new patch. He always sends mostly tanks and the infantry brings up the rear. If you destroy his tank force he has lost. Very seldom on an assault does he ever get thru my mine field. Isolated instances of course do happen. But they are very soon sent to hell.

I dont like to fight defend battles against the AI. I like assault and advances mostly. But like i said that is what ilike only. I noticed after these settings tho i have more draws and marginal victorys. Before almost everything was a decivive for me. I may start all my long campaigns over after the patch. In the hope that it will be tougher this time around. And also i set the British forces as brits only. I would like to make a multi force with the British. Such as Indian and anzac fighting with them in Asia. And the Canadians in Europe and Africa with them.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 10
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/25/2004 3:44:30 PM   
robot

Also a thing i have with them being green troops and advancing thru the ranks. I like to start with green troops and bring them along thru all the battles. It makes for a heart rendering scence to me, when a tank has come from green to veteran and all of a sudden you make a stupid move. To see him being shot up and you cant get to him to help, brings tears to my eyes. I always assign the toughest part of a battle to my vets. This is because i know 9 times out of 10 thay will take the hill or what ever at any cost.

Also a lot of people dont let there HQ get involed in a battle. I do some what but not fully. They are usually about 10 hexes back from the front lines. I will let them shoot at crews if at all possible. Plus if you bring them along side a running squad they will help with suppression. They usually have a PZIV as transportation and a couple armored cars with them tho.

Also a lot of people use there FO alongside ther mortors say. I dont they are up near the front trying to get line of sight. I always have 2 fo in all my core forces. I dont have line of sight all the times but it helps when you do. Do i lose FO a lot the answer is no but it does happen. They dont fight or respond to being shot at. There range is set to zero. But they will respond to direct attack. I also use a mech recon and they do fight some time. Not too often but it is selective fighting.

Recon set up as follows: 2 sections recon with 2 snipers attatch to ea sec. Good transport for all and 2 atr attatched. Also 2 sec armored cars and 1 sec light recon tanks. Some time 1 sec close support tanks too if im movin slow. Some time i will send an fo with them most times not. Usually the fo will travel with my first plattoon in the advance.

Dern im starting to ramble and getting away from the subject. Sorry all just felt like typing this morning.

(in reply to robot)
Post #: 11
RE: Beefing up the AI - 5/25/2004 10:33:08 PM   
Warmonger

Thanks for all the insight, robot. I remember that button now. For some reason I thought it was small/medium/large (size of enemy force). I never clicked it to see easy/medium/hard. Same idea though, I guess. After the campaign Im playing im going to start experimenting with these as I too am now always acheiving decisive victories with little effort. As far as the AI being smarter in 8.2, I believe only the purchasing routines have been modified. So it will get better stuff, but fight the same way.

W A R M O N G E R

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Beefing up the AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI