Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battle Results

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Battle Results Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battle Results - 5/24/2004 9:05:05 PM   
Warmonger

Ok, some more nitpicky questions from Warmonger:

I just conducted an almost flawless defense against Germans with the US. My only damage/casualties were to one unit...a 3in AT gun. Damage = 3. Germany ended up with 48 points - I thought they would only get 3 points. 48 is exactly half the value of that unit. Did they get half for some reason? Im a little confused about that.

Also, in the long campaign, is there any other difference between getting a decisive/marginal victory than the refit points you get? What exactly are the benefits of getting a decisive vs. a marginal?

Thanks for your patience with my silly questions!

< Message edited by Warmonger -- 5/24/2004 1:02:37 PM >

W A R M O N G E R
Post #: 1
RE: Battle Results - 5/24/2004 10:54:15 PM   
Belisarius

The "3" damage does not indicate "points lost", but the damage to the gun+crew. Since the SP:WaW game engine puts the gun last in line for damage, the 3 probably means you had 3 men of the gun crew taken out. That could very well mean half the points of the unit.

Tanks are funnier. For them, the damage can be both to crew and machine alike. There's a thread somewhere about who's got the highest damage on a tank and still have it left alive. Personally, I've had 7 and 8 damage multiple times. That means main gun, suspension, gunner, radio, radio operator, bow MG, loader....

Got StuG?

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 2
RE: Battle Results - 5/24/2004 11:27:36 PM   
Warmonger

Ok, that makes sense. I had the score saved, and I checked after I read your post. The gun started with a 6 man crew, and took 3 casualties. (Hence the 3 damage). For some reason I had the strange notion than men were worth 1 point, until all were gone, at which point the unit was destroyed and worth full value. Now I see each man is an equal portion of full value...thanks.

Anyone have any thoughts on the advantages of decisive over marginal?

< Message edited by Warmonger -- 5/24/2004 3:25:39 PM >

W A R M O N G E R

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 3
RE: Battle Results - 5/25/2004 12:19:42 AM   
Voriax

This value thing is really weird. I tinkered a bit..I set up a shooting range with one Sov atg and one rifle squad as targets.

When I caused one casualty to the atg, score was 8-0 and soviets had 1 man casualties.
Not bad, as 8 points (rounded) is the worth of each man in the 6 man gun crew. 49 points, divided by 6.

Then I just killed the atg. Now the casualties were 6 men and 1 gun. Okay so far. But the score was not 49-0 as you might expect, it was 98-0. so it gave points twice. I think it may count it like: 1 dead atg, 49 points plus 6 dead atg crew at 8 points a pop.

Now what happens when I kill a 4 crew and 2 bails out forming a 'crew' unit? Soviet losses were reported as 10 men. Apparently it counts 6 dead atg crew members and 4 'missing' from the crew unit.
The score was weird, 48-0. I'm kinda baffled how that comes up. Possibly 4 dead crew at 8 points each, then maybe few from abandoned atg and then some points from those 'missing' 4 men from crew unit. Have to try figure it out when I'm more awake

Oh and when I was killing the infantry squad it was 1 man = 1 point. No matter how many men I killed. When the full 12 men squad was gone, it was worth just 12 points. True troop cost on or off, no change.

Go figure

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 4
RE: Battle Results - 5/25/2004 3:28:58 AM   
Warmonger

A-ha...I knew there was SOME reason I was thinking 1 man = 1 point. Thanks for doing that Voriax, you shed a lot of light on this.

W A R M O N G E R

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 5
RE: Battle Results - 5/25/2004 1:09:30 PM   
Belisarius

A-ha yep Voriax. Nice test run there.

Also, this is why the casualty list is snafu'd in the battle results;

If a gun has a 6 man crew, and you lose 3 of them first, then the entire ATG, you won't see 6 men lost, but rather 6+3=9. It counts them twice.

Same for tanks. If you lose 2 of 5 crewmembers to a killshot, and the rest forms a "crew" unit. When the 3 crewmembers are killed, your total loss is not 5 men (the crew, 2+3) but 8; 5+3.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Warmonger)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Battle Results Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI