Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SPWaW Installation Options

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Installation Options Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SPWaW Installation Options - 11/30/2001 2:30:00 PM   
Reg

It's probably a bit late for the upcoming CDs but the following question may be applicable for the download versions. I have just made up SPWaW CDs for a couple of friends with older PCs. I gave them the option of V4 without the stereo sound or V5 with stereo sound (plus all the updates of course). Both of them opted for the smaller installation with the older sound files. Does anyone think that the option to download (or just install) a 'Lite' version using the old sound files is a good idea for those without that much hard drive space to spare??? Remember that the stereo sounds are purely cosmetic, do not affect PBEM compatability, can be installed at a later date and increase installation size from 500Mb to over 1Gb, though they certainly increases the attraction and immersion factor of the game. A smaller installation size would also allow players into the community who might otherwise be unable to install the game. Just a thought,
Reg. [ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: Reg ]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Post #: 1
- 11/30/2001 6:11:00 PM   
Warrior

Hard drives are as cheap as dirt, and there's no excuse for someone not having enough hard drive space. This is not to disagree with you, just to point out the obvious. Anybody with a modicum of sense will want to get the game in it's stereo version. I personally see no reason to cater to anyone who can't manage to bring their computer beyond the horse-and-buggy stage, but also see no reason why a choice couldn't be available for those poor fools who are unable to cope with the 21st century.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 2
- 11/30/2001 7:37:00 PM   
Reg

Don't be too harsh, of three people I can quote, one is between pay cheques, another is a professional student and the third is a family man with competing priorities. I note that there have been posts by on this very board by people in similar situations. This does not make them any less worthy opponents and I would hate to see anyone excluded unecessarily. Once they are hooked on the game, there is no reason they could not upgrade at a later date. I don't want to make a big deal but was just tossing a easily implemented idea in the air, Cheers,
Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 3
- 11/30/2001 7:46:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Good point and good work REG. I'm a family man too, and I underestand sometimes there are top priorities before upgrading or changing the pc. If you can make three new recruits/fans with a "reduced" version of spwaw... Come on!

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 4
- 11/30/2001 7:56:00 PM   
Warrior

I just an SPWaW junkie, I'd give up eating to get the best SPWaW available. Not everybody can do that. I actually do understand.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 5
- 11/30/2001 8:38:00 PM   
generalrichmond

Having participated to a good deal in the Sid Meier Gettysburg!/Antietam! community and watch it die off, I encourage anything that increases our community. Technically Warrior's point is true. But I also know that I'd like to see everyone who can find time to enjoy SPWaW to do so.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 6
- 11/30/2001 9:01:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

You can, once the game is installed, simply delete all the sound files if you want to, the game will be silent, but will work. that frees up like 600MB.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 7
- 11/30/2001 10:35:00 PM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
You can, once the game is installed, simply delete all the sound files if you want to, the game will be silent, but will work. that frees up like 600MB.
Which are the files for the music soundtracks? They could go first. I always play with soundtrack and weather & terrain SFX off anyway, so they could go, too. A listing would be helpful. Just leave me the guns and explosions!

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 8
- 11/30/2001 11:03:00 PM   
David Heath

I would not use the older sound files since some of them seemed to cause the game to crash.... I would go with the full install.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 9
- 11/30/2001 11:48:00 PM   
lnp4668

quote:

Originally posted by Warrior:
Which are the files for the music soundtracks? They could go first. I always play with soundtrack and weather & terrain SFX off anyway, so they could go, too. A listing would be helpful. Just leave me the guns and explosions!
In the progam file directory for spwaw, there is a sound map pdf for all the files.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 10
- 12/1/2001 2:29:00 AM   
Cona

quote:

Originally posted by Warrior:
Hard drives are as cheap as dirt, and there's no excuse for someone not having enough hard drive space.I personally see no reason to cater to anyone who can't manage to bring their computer beyond the horse-and-buggy stage, but also see no reason why a choice couldn't be available for those poor fools who are unable to cope with the 21st century.
21st Century hasn't arrived to the whole world yet, Warrior. Dirt is expensive by here. A new Hard Drive for my PC means nearly 1/6 of my salary.
The more people playing SPWaW, the better. Saludos a todos,
Cona. P.S. I've enough HDD space ... don't ask how

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 11
- 12/1/2001 4:10:00 AM   
BAR

Query, just what is a proffesional student, and where do I apply? Sure sounds better than setting telephone poles in mud all day. At least a heckuva lot dryer this week!

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 12
- 12/2/2001 1:11:00 PM   
Reg

quote:

Originally posted by BAR:
Query, just what is a profesional student, and where do I apply?
BAR, Just go to your local university and apply for all the research grants you can get a hold of. This guy is doing his Masters/PhD in Military History and has turned his hobby into a profession. (I'm kinda jealous really). Though it's interesting work, a academic career seldom supports an extravagent lifestyle (unless you get one of those rare faculty chair positions) and the hours are lousy (there are always assignments or marking due). As a matter of interest, I think there are a few posters on this very board who probably make the grade as well. Cheers,
Reg [ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: Reg ]

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Installation Options Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI