Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What's Your worst war movie ever

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What's Your worst war movie ever Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/17/2004 2:48:36 AM   
VicKevlar

quote:

Old Eagle101 glad to see you haven't changed. Why don't you just go and hang out with the other 3 wing nuts I know so well that have a personal problem with me, and stop pretending to actually have anything useful to say.

Pity you couldn't have settled for being at a loss for words and left it that way.

Knock it off Les. You are now warned.

The infantry doesn't change. We're the only arm of the military where the weapon is the man himself.

C. T. Shortis

(in reply to W Thorne)
Post #: 61
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/18/2004 12:20:20 AM   
Rummy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

I remember the first time I watched Battle of Britain, must of been, over 20 years ago, I think I was in grade 2, or so. Much later on, recently I got around to watching it again, with a lot more understanding. It is somewhat great to find a decent war movie without the typical far fetched hero bs you see in Holywood.

But now hearing about this Tom Cruise version, I am pretty weary myself. Especialy now that Tom is now in control of both directing and screen writing. Not to stray too far off topic but I remember my disapointment over the whole Mission Impossible bit. Guy almost re-wrote the entire series into something that would of never happened... And naturaly made himself the star... Granted, MI was fiction so perhaps we should not get too upset over it but..... why do I sense something similar is going to happen all over again.

I still consider Battle of Britain to be one of the best (top 3) war movies of all time--not just for the aerial dogfights, which are impressive, but for its grasp and portrayal of the enormous significance of the battle in which these lonely, almost inadequate pilots were engaged.

Its capture of the Germans overwhelming victory in France, their overconfidence, Britain's inadequacies and heroism, and the sheer determination of the British pilots all add up to a superb film that doesn't receive the kudos it deserves.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 62
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/21/2004 6:38:14 AM   
JaegerJ

Rummy,
"Your Favorite War Movie", forum is on some other page. We were putting in votes for WORST war films. Got any?

And yes, "Battle of Britian", the original is a good film. I'll have to watch it again. It's been years and years since I've seen it.

(in reply to Rummy)
Post #: 63
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/22/2004 1:53:09 AM   
Rummy

quote:

ORIGINAL: JaegerJ

Rummy,
"Your Favorite War Movie", forum is on some other page. We were putting in votes for WORST war films. Got any?

And yes, "Battle of Britian", the original is a good film. I'll have to watch it again. It's been years and years since I've seen it.

Already posted them on page 2 of this thread: The Thin Red Line and Windtalkers.

(in reply to JaegerJ)
Post #: 64
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/25/2004 11:30:40 PM   
DzrtFox

Easy...

Red Dawn is THE stupidest war movie ever. The Russians parachuting in and attacking the critical strongpoint of a small-town high school, being fended off by a group of high schoolers. This movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid watching it, but I went back and watched it recently and it is HORRIBLE!!!

:)

(in reply to Rummy)
Post #: 65
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/25/2004 11:44:21 PM   
mavraam

quote:

Battle of the Bulge

There are soo many bad ones, its hard to know where to start, but you nailed it with this one! Is there a single part of this movie that is historically accurate? If memory serves, the entire German assault is stopped because of one wounded soldier who rolls fuel barrels down a road and lights them on fire. It would be hilarous if it wasn't so sad.

The main ones listed:
Pearl Harbor (I didn't realize the Japanese concentrated on strafing nurses on the way to the hospital instead of taking out ships!),
Wind Talker,
U-571

are all first team as well.

Here's one I don't think has been mentioned yet:

Casualties of War! (More anti-American, evil, capitalist, rapist propoganda that Kerry probably loved.) But the best part was Michael J. Fox's performance in one of the worst casting decisions in the history of movies. The mockery of his cracking whiney dialogue on Saturday Night Live is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

(in reply to showboat1)
Post #: 66
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/25/2004 11:51:12 PM   
mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: jnier

quote:

ORIGINAL: showboat1

I always forget to include the Thin Red Line simply becuase it is SOOOOOOOOOO bad that I try to block it from my memory.

Everytime this thread come up I dread it because I know someone will say how bad Thin Red Line was. Well guess what - lots of people think it's a great movie, such as:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1999/01/010802.html
http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/movies/t/thin_red.html
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/review.asp?mid=77254&afl=imdb
http://www.boxoffice.com/scripts/fiw.dll?GetReview&where=Name&terms=THE+THIN+RED+LIN

The movie seems to try to combine the style of independent film with the content of a war movie - which is probably why it seems to evoke "I loved it" or "I hated it" type of reaction and not much in between. I loved it. Of course, you're entitled to hate it.

I actually loved this movie but don't consider it a war movie in the traditional sense. Its a Malick movie and that says much more than the subject matter. The movie has more in common with Days of Heaven than Patton. I'm not even sure I consider what Malick does to be movies! They are more like audio visual works of art. But I love them. So I guess you're right, you either love it or hate it!

(in reply to jnier)
Post #: 67
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/25/2004 11:53:50 PM   
mavraam

quote:

Patton was too much about Patton

How dare they make a movie called Patton about Patton!

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 68
RE: Reality is optional - 5/26/2004 12:00:21 AM   
mavraam

quote:

Hollywood updates history of Battle of Britain: Tom Cruise won it all on his own
The 'Top Gun' star is making a new film glorifying American Billy Fiske as the hero of this country's 'finest hour'. But veterans say that, though a remarkable man, Fiske died without shooting down a single plane. Cole Moreton talks to those who knew him
11 April 2004

As a proud American, I would like to go on record and appologize in advance to the entire United Kingdom for the missrepresentation of our part in defending against the German air assault that this movie will undoubtably make.

Aren't there enough TRUE stories of heroism? Why does Hollywood have to make this crap up?

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 69
RE: Reality is optional - 5/26/2004 1:49:09 AM   
dinsdale

Theres a good parody of U571 here http://www.fishtank.org.uk/humour/humour.php3?articleid=108 referring to England's 5-1 win over Germany and a proposed Hollywood film :D

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 70
RE: Reality is optional - 5/26/2004 2:12:57 AM   
Pippin

Does anyone remember this one movie... and older one.. where the chinese, or japanese were trying to take over the U.S. by digging tunnels under the oceans etc all the way over to the states, and were planning to do a suprise attack that way?

I forget how most of the plot went along, but something about the americans discovering what was going on, and they ended up saving the typical day in the end. For the life of me, I just can't remember what this one was called, but someone here HAS to have seen it!

And BTW, they ended up sticking caucasians in as the chinese/japs, and put makeup on em. I guess it was too hard to find oriental acters willing to play along with such a story...

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 71
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/27/2004 1:50:26 AM   
runes

"The Big Red One, starring Lee Marvin and Luke Skywalker "

hey, i liked the big red one! haha. i tend to enjoy anything starring either: Lee Marvin, Donal Sutherland, or Telly Sevalas.

my vote?

Windtalkers. what an utter piece of trash.

the worst part is when one of the characters is like: How are we ever going to get over to the japanese lines?

camera cut

cage and injin guy shown behind enemy lines.

er...?? huh?

also, enemy at the gates wins a close second worst.

it tried to be three movies at once (pscyhological thriller, romance and war movie) and failed. it had so much promise, but went down the crapper.

and for the record, i enjoyed pearl harbour, it had some really good action sequences.

< Message edited by runes -- 5/26/2004 11:59:04 PM >

(in reply to JaegerJ)
Post #: 72
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/27/2004 6:43:53 AM   
Pippin

Actualy, some interresting news regarding holywood....

Warner Bros. To Punish Poor Quality Games
According to reports officials from Warner Brothers are to planning fluctuate the licensing fees paid by publishers for their properties, according to how well the resultant games are received by reviewers.

According to Jason Hall, senior VP of the newly formed Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment, "The game industry has had its time to exploit movie studios all day long and to get away with producing inferior products. But, with Warner Brothers, no more."

Hall has mentioned sites such as GameRankings.com, Metacritic.com and GameStats.com specifically, indicating that future Warner Bros. licensed games must achieve at least a 70% rating or incur an increase in royalty rates.

However, this tough stance has already caused controversy in relation to Enter the Matrix which despite making $250 million world-wide was critically panned by most reviewers.

Hall has been adamant that “sales don’t equal quality” but Atari boss Bruno Bonnell, whose company publishes Enter the Matrix, has claimed that, “I will never, ever sign this sort of agreement, which effectively insults our business."

Source: Hollywood Reporter

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to runes)
Post #: 73
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 5/28/2004 4:52:36 PM   
mavraam

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

Actualy, some interresting news regarding holywood....

Warner Bros. To Punish Poor Quality Games
According to reports officials from Warner Brothers are to planning fluctuate the licensing fees paid by publishers for their properties, according to how well the resultant games are received by reviewers.

According to Jason Hall, senior VP of the newly formed Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment, "The game industry has had its time to exploit movie studios all day long and to get away with producing inferior products. But, with Warner Brothers, no more."

Hall has mentioned sites such as GameRankings.com, Metacritic.com and GameStats.com specifically, indicating that future Warner Bros. licensed games must achieve at least a 70% rating or incur an increase in royalty rates.

However, this tough stance has already caused controversy in relation to Enter the Matrix which despite making $250 million world-wide was critically panned by most reviewers.

Hall has been adamant that “sales don’t equal quality” but Atari boss Bruno Bonnell, whose company publishes Enter the Matrix, has claimed that, “I will never, ever sign this sort of agreement, which effectively insults our business."

Source: Hollywood Reporter

Just out of curiosity, I checked Enter the Matrix at Gamerankins and its just over 70 on the XBox and GameCube but just under 70 on PC and PS2 so it would have been right on the line.

Maybe the sales are meaningless in this case. After all if it made $250 mill but wasn't that good, doesn't it follow that it was the movies that made the game so popular and if it had been better, it may have made even more. Hard to say but I think as a rule, Gamerankings ends up being pretty accurate about the quality of a game.

Actually, come to think of it, Gamerankings is where I found out about Korsun Pocket and HTTR by searching for best WWII strategy games.

< Message edited by mavraam -- 5/28/2004 2:55:06 PM >

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 74
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 6/2/2004 8:58:38 AM   
Blackhorse

Worst movies:

1. Breakthrough! I believe this is the title of the crap-awful sequel to the superb Cross of Iron. Stupid plot. Stilted Acting. Unrealistic battle scenes and equipment. 1970s anti-war moralizing set against the backdrop of the liberation of France. Could anything be more wrong?

2. Genghis Khan. Starring John Wayne as GK. Worst. Casting. Ever. Would be #1 but it has that car crash, "so awful you have to watch" quality about it.

3. The Thin Red Line. Lush, tropical. Beautiful art house flick. Would have been a great National Geographic special. Failed to even remotely capture the feel of what it was like to be a dirty, half-starved grunt in overstretched defensive positions in a malarial jungle / swamp. Dragged on foooorever. Couldn't tell the characters apart. The film has a false ending, then cranks up again so all the characters can jump into a landing craft to be rotated out while one of them muses "oh, my soul" . . . I was rooting for them to hit a mine, to put them out of my misery.

< Message edited by Blackhorse -- 6/2/2004 7:01:28 AM >

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to mavraam)
Post #: 75
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 6/2/2004 11:56:25 PM   
Von Rom

I think if countries want to see real, decent war movies, then other film industries need to step into the breach.

However, in the current film void, Hollywood will always push out whatever it thinks the public will swallow (and hand over money for).

Tom Cruise in the Battle of Britain?

Interesting. . .

Few realize that Canada had the second largest number of foreign pilots flying during all of the Battle of Britain, and they had a very distinquished flying record.

If we want that story to be told, then Canada will have to get off its derriere and make a movie about it. I'm not expecting Hollywood will do it.

If Europeans lament inaccurate American movies, then they should start making quality movies of their own.

If those movies make money, then Hollwood won't be far behind in making better ones :)

Nothing works better than good old fashioned competition. . .

Cheers!

< Message edited by Von Rom -- 6/2/2004 9:57:54 PM >

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 76
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 6/3/2004 6:24:18 AM   
dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom
I think if countries want to see real, decent war movies, then other film industries need to step into the breach.

Thing is, there are some decent foreign language war films made. No Man's Land was the last one I've been aware of, but I assume the genre hasn't died out. But where are the other English-language film industries? Canada, Aussie, Britain have all made great movies in the past why not now?

Hollywood will always be Hollywood, but there is surely room for an alternative, now more than ever before.

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 77
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 6/3/2004 5:12:49 PM   
Von Rom

quote:

ORIGINAL: dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Rom

Thing is, there are some decent foreign language war films made. No Man's Land was the last one I've been aware of, but I assume the genre hasn't died out. But where are the other English-language film industries? Canada, Aussie, Britain have all made great movies in the past why not now?

Hollywood will always be Hollywood, but there is surely room for an alternative, now more than ever before.

I agree.

You have to wonder why other countries aren't making good war movies anymore, such as Das Boot (Germany), Battle of Britain (Britain), Gallipolli (Australia), etc. . .

I wonder who controls the film distribution rights worldwide?

I also wonder if deals have been made between some countries to forgo their film industry in return for certain "concessions"?

There is still hope with the independent film companies such as Speilberg who did "Saving Private Ryan".

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 78
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/29/2005 3:57:24 AM   
warhead2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barticus

Easy enough for me, 'When Trumpets Fade'. Seemed to me to be a movie set in the 40's with slang and attitude from the 80's. Almost as bad as seeing a crowd chant Queen's 'We Will Rock You' at a supposedly Medieval Joust.

B
good mock-up stugs though,or PZIVs

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all those flies and death and stuff,"
--Mariah Carey

(in reply to Bart_Breedyk)
Post #: 79
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/29/2005 6:45:58 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Hard to pick the worst out of this lot:

Pearl Harbor: Crappy romance story disguised as a crappy war movie. They would have been better off giving the money to Nick Adams, Pearl Harbor with Wallace and Grommit would have had more heart and realism.

Kelly's Heroes: Just gawdawful.

Revolution: Someone said this was Pacino's worst. I still rank Cruising as worse, altho it was unintentionally hilarious.

Patriot: ****e. However it may just be worth the price for the look on kids faces after Mel does a babe ruth job on the brit soldiers and their subsequent realization that, yes, their father is an axe-wielding maniac.

To bad Cruise isn't playing a brit in the BoB. I'd like to hear him butcher the accent. I always wished the Duke would have played Nelson just to hear it.

(in reply to warhead2)
Post #: 80
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/29/2005 7:26:42 PM   
Hertston

Why did this get dragged up after 18 months?

Whatever... the worst war movie ever is STILL The Green Berets

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 81
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/30/2005 1:28:34 AM   
Zap

anarchyitheuk, had a lot weighing on him. You see that he mentioned not one but 4 movies. Now, you see, that kind of dislike for movies has to be aired out. Otherwise it boggs down ones emotional well being.

Thats okay anarchyitheuk, the thread is there for you to make your comments. If you would have started a new thread someone would have mentioned that there was a thread already with this topic and why did't you use it.

< Message edited by Zap -- 12/30/2005 1:37:38 AM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 82
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/30/2005 3:56:00 AM   
Kung Karl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

Well....... I will save my vote for the Battle of Britain staring Tom Cruise . Think its due out sometime in 05.

http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/4679.html

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 83
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/30/2005 6:16:46 AM   
Pippin

I duno why it was bumped up. But one awfull British directed movie (well actualy it was a few episodes)... involved alien Daleks attacking earth. Where do they land? Outside a highschool chemistry laboratory....

Take a guess how that one went...

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 84
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/30/2005 7:54:31 AM   
diesel7013

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

Worst movies:

1. Breakthrough! I believe this is the title of the crap-awful sequel to the superb Cross of Iron. Stupid plot. Stilted Acting. Unrealistic battle scenes and equipment. 1970s anti-war moralizing set against the backdrop of the liberation of France. Could anything be more wrong?

2. Genghis Khan. Starring John Wayne as GK. Worst. Casting. Ever. Would be #1 but it has that car crash, "so awful you have to watch" quality about it.

3. The Thin Red Line. Lush, tropical. Beautiful art house flick. Would have been a great National Geographic special. Failed to even remotely capture the feel of what it was like to be a dirty, half-starved grunt in overstretched defensive positions in a malarial jungle / swamp. Dragged on foooorever. Couldn't tell the characters apart. The film has a false ending, then cranks up again so all the characters can jump into a landing craft to be rotated out while one of them muses "oh, my soul" . . . I was rooting for them to hit a mine, to put them out of my misery.

2. The movie was I believe "The Conquerers" and it had John Wayne, so it didn't have to be good - it just was...

Basically, any war movie made after 1990 ( other than We Were Soldiers - which I saw with my Dad who flew Cobras in Vietnam and he said the night flying scenes under enemy fire were way realistic, which is enough for me ) sucks - unless we as a community made the thing, and kept Hollywood out of it, it has to suck - Liberals and War Movies, pluuueezzzee

We few, We happy few, We band of brothers

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 85
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/30/2005 8:22:38 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: ShermanM4

The Patriot with Mel Gibson. All around just plain stupid.

Cmon now the battle scenes in that movie were great. Wish there had been more of course but stupid movies have to have a silly plot.

I wish someone would do a conglomeration of just the battle scenes from all the war movies in chronilogical order from ancients to present day. I'd pay oodles for that alone, keep all the plot garbage out of it and just one battle scene after another. ;)

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 86
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/30/2005 8:34:11 AM   
TAIL GUNNER

quote:

I wish someone would do a conglomeration of just the battle scenes from all the war movies in chronilogical order from ancients to present day. I'd pay oodles for that alone, keep all the plot garbage out of it and just one battle scene after another.

That has to be one of the most brilliant ideas ever posted.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 87
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/30/2005 1:47:04 PM   
ShermanM4

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ShermanM4

The Patriot with Mel Gibson. All around just plain stupid.

Cmon now the battle scenes in that movie were great. Wish there had been more of course but stupid movies have to have a silly plot.

I wish someone would do a conglomeration of just the battle scenes from all the war movies in chronilogical order from ancients to present day. I'd pay oodles for that alone, keep all the plot garbage out of it and just one battle scene after another. ;)

I will put it this way. Hollywood relies on certain architypes inorder to make a movie likeable by the public. Mel Gibson is an honest farmer and would never own slaves no never. Even though during the Colonial period, the Carolinas as a percentage had the highest ratio of slaves to whites. It was was huge, and I know it had be over 10-to-1.

Tavington who played the real Banister Tarlton was a vicious blood thirsty monster in the movie. The real Banister Tarlton NEVER huddled civilians into a Church and burned them all alive. He infact was once commisioned with the task of going to Virginia and finding Thomas Jefferson. He went to what was Monticello at the time and found no Jefferson. Had he been the blood thirsty monster he was in the movie, he would have burned down Jefferson's manor, had his way with the women, and taken the slaves.

What else made me puke about that movie? Oh yes the battle scenes. They then made it seem like the British had no conception of brush or gureilla warfare. Yet they magically won the French and Indian War or Seven Years war. Which seems bizarre as our troubled main character is a French and Indian war vet. The Battle of Cowpens was decent as the command was given to the militia to only fire two volleys and fall back. Though No mention of the real Daniel Morgan or what his grand strategy was for actually defeating the British. According to the film, why Cornwallis then pulled up into Yorktown was anybodies guess.

Sorry I know its just a film, but what could have been a great movie about the American Revolution was bogged down in a stupid story line with ridiculous archetypes.

"Perserverance and spirit have done wonders in all ages."

~General George Washington

(in reply to TAIL GUNNER)
Post #: 88
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/30/2005 2:05:35 PM   
ravinhood

What I don't think you are taking into account though Sherman is I would say the majority of Americans don't really know "or care" what happened during the American Revolutionary War. Only the most die hard would read the actual histories of so many people during that time. People enjoy the Hollywood productions (I know I do). The guy that played Pvt HOOK in Zulu was nothing like the hollywood production, but, still the movie was great, they still made a hero out of him which actually is the truth, but, making him a slaggard and a thief just fit the movie for filling only. When we goto a movie we want to be "entertained", we don't usually goto them for a "history class", they have special movies for those. ;) To downplay Tarlton to be a bloodthirsty murdering killer made for good script and the good guy always wins ending the picture had. I'm sure people got a thrill when he got his at the end. If we had to sit through actual footage of real life of the days of history we'd all probably fall asleep during the movie. Except of course for the die hards that get into that boring stuff. People like action and heroic deeds and the good guys winning out over the bad guys, stuff like that. That's what hollywood brings. I don't think I've ever read in the credits that it was an historically accurate protrayal of what actually happened. Cept for the Exorcist which did state in the opening credits the movie was "based" off of actual events, though we all know no one spun their head around full circle, lol or probably threw up green pea soup like a fire hydrant. lol But, still the movie was good. ;)

Oh and if you've never seen the Exorcist and read the book "The Making of the Exorcist", it's very scary and in the book they tell about a scene they "didn't film", it's a demonic face that flashes for an instant and they tried cutting this scene over 50 times and never could cut it out of the picture. Heh, makes for some great reading and enough to scare the crap outta some people when they see the movie and that face flashes during the picture. Of course I believe this is just more hollywood hype, but, people buy into that stuff and just love to be scared. ;) According to the book people had accidents and some even died during the filming. I believe it was the producers or directors mother that died during the filming. Coincedental I'm sure, but, just more fluff for the book to scare and make people wonder and of course buy the book and see the film. ;)

(in reply to ShermanM4)
Post #: 89
RE: What's Your worst war movie ever - 12/31/2005 12:07:59 AM   
RealChuckB

Another vote for "Windtalkers". I was so surprised that they still make movies like that in which the good guys always fire from the hip while running like crazy and still are able to kill at a 100:1 ratio. It also features the universally bad dialogue that can be found in many bad war movie: [While waves of enemies form up for the final and worst attack] Hero: "I'm out of ammo", Best buddy [second row] who is marked to get killed at the end of the movie: "Here, take my last clip ...".

I really liked "Thin Red Line", but I can understand how someone can be disapointed when expecting a war movie about the Pacific theater.

I have very mixed feelings about "Saving private Ryan": The first half to two-thirds are very good, the landing scene at the beginning brilliant. The end where a small group of allied soldiers is able to beat this large (and dumb) German force (including tanks) with a brilliant plan and some bombs made out of socks is rubbish and moves too much in the Windtalkers direction for my taste ...

All the "light stuff" (U-571, Pearl Harbor etc.) is ... well, light stuff. You either enjoy it for the eye-candy (beautiful scenery and actors, big explosions etc) or you don't, but if you start to take it serious in any way ... you're doomed!

Chuck

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What's Your worst war movie ever Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI