Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weather

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Weather Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weather - 5/30/2004 1:46:50 AM   
Stavka_lite

Beat me with a 18.1 inch naval gun if this has already been discussed but how is weather handled? The Pacific is a big, big area and the weather will not be the same all over.

Yes, it is a dry heat... but so is a bloody blast furnace!
Post #: 1
RE: Weather - 5/30/2004 2:14:23 AM   
dwesolick

Hi Stavka,

I don't have an answer for you, but you raise a great question. I too was wondering about, in particular, typhoons and their effect on TFs, for example. Or are they not in the game?

There was a very good documentary last night on the History Channel which told the story of the great 1944 typhoon that hit Halsey's fleet. More than 700 sailors died and (I think) 4 ships were lost. Numerous others damaged. A few months later Halsey got caught up in another typhoon and the subsequent board of inquiry recommended his relief! (first I'd heard of that) The SecNav (Forrestal, I think) ignored the recommendation though.

< Message edited by dwesolick -- 5/30/2004 12:14:34 AM >

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

(in reply to Stavka_lite)
Post #: 2
RE: Weather (a weather mans perspective) - 5/30/2004 3:13:10 AM   
2Stepper

Well speaking from experience as a tropical weather meteorologist for the air force it wouldn't be TOO tough to model I wouldn't think. Least in terms of the tropics... Northern lattitudes would be more troublesome as would the area around the Philippines.

The south china sea and philippine seas are the most prone for typhoon development from March to December with a peak from August to November... Then this moves to the southern hemisphere from January to about May across New Guinea and across the north of Austrailia... I.e... "Thunderstorms" a point from UV would be far more commonly experienced.

Not sure how you'd take care of the northern lattitudes (anything about 20deg North). Lots of changes can be had there from any number of things... cold fronts to recurved typhoons headed east towards the Gulf of Alaska...

I guess I could prattle on all day about the basics of weather in the pacific basin, but the first question we'd have to have answered is how typhoons are going to be shown. If at all... Guess we'll see.

"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)

(in reply to dwesolick)
Post #: 3
RE: Weather (a weather mans perspective) - 5/30/2004 4:09:08 AM   
Mike Scholl

Weather seems to be in "zones" from the AAR's, so I doubt we'll see actual Typhoons.
But your input would have been great about a year ago when they were setting up
the basic perameters and someone with first hand knowledge of how Pacific Weather
patterns develope and move could have offered some raalistic modifiers to what seems
to be an adequate, but chance-driven system. Would be nice if "squall lines" were an
on-map event when trying to reproduce something like Nagumo's advance on Midway.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 4
RE: Weather (a weather mans perspective) - 5/30/2004 4:18:03 AM   
GBirkn

Some of the screenshots at the game site appears to show the weather zones and the forecasts for the various zones.

http://www.warinthepacific.net/screenshots/screenshot16.jpg

http://www.warinthepacific.net/screenshots/screenshot17.jpg

"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let's give them all they want." -- Gen. W. T. Sherman

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 5
RE: Weather (a weather mans perspective) - 5/30/2004 4:28:34 AM   
Mike Scholl

I've seen the screen shots, and I've played UV. The weather andforcasts are OK...,
ut rather random and haphazard in their effects. Like the zone has a "fixed" chance
of bad weather, but each base "rolls" seperately giving no actual weather pattern.

(in reply to GBirkn)
Post #: 6
RE: Weather (a weather mans perspective) - 5/30/2004 5:10:40 AM   
Xargun

Should be that if one base developes bad weather, the bases near it have a modifier to develop similar weather... In principle its an easy concept... coding it may be another matter.

Xargun

Post #: 7
RE: Weather (a weather mans perspective) - 5/30/2004 1:49:43 PM   
2Stepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

Weather seems to be in "zones" from the AAR's, so I doubt we'll see actual Typhoons.
But your input would have been great about a year ago when they were setting up
the basic perameters and someone with first hand knowledge of how Pacific Weather
patterns develope and move could have offered some raalistic modifiers to what seems
to be an adequate, but chance-driven system. Would be nice if "squall lines" were an
on-map event when trying to reproduce something like Nagumo's advance on Midway.

Making me feel bad Mike.. I mainly steered clear because the notion of not being a programmer I didn't think I could contribute... Plus the fact that I was sure while this was a gem in the making it'd be a while till release...

Suffice to say if there comes a desire to add a few tweeks into the game as we move past initial release you can get hold of me... Would welcome the challenge.

cheers!

Post #: 8
RE: Weather (a weather mans perspective) - 5/30/2004 2:08:20 PM   
2Stepper

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBirkn
http://www.warinthepacific.net/screenshots/screenshot17.jpg

This particular shot with it's zones marked off isn't TOO bad of a start on dividing up the areas into "weather zones". Basically you'd need to divide south of the equator into two zones. Tropical from the equator south to 20deg south, and then everything else south of that would be "mid-lattitude". The tropical sector would stand a higher chance of thunderstorms/"typhoon risk" from January to about May. The mid-lats you can leave to chance and still be accurate with the noted exception of the squal lines Mike mentioned.

The north is more complicated. From just east of Guam, up to 20 deg north lattitude all the way to the east coast of India is were a prone area for typhoon development starts in March and runs clear till the end of the year. Greatest chances are from August to November, but they can and do develop throughout this time. This area is loosely refered to as "Typhoon alley" with the worst areas east and west of the philippines.

You could probably divide the north in a similar scale with everything north of 20deg left to chance which isn't far from fact, then south of that down to the equator you're probably looking at 2 areas, perhaps 3 depending on the detail you want.

If you divided into two areas it would be India's east coast to about 130deg EAST longitude and south of 20deg North... That'd be your PRONE area to the worst weather and typhoons... then east of 130deg East would be chance thunderstorm/"bad" weather. (they can get typhoons in the marshalls, but they're rare and usually at the end of the season (Nov/Dec))

If you broke it into three areas for greater detail, your "worst" weather zone would be the south china sea all the way down to south of Singapore eastward to about 130 deg East longitude again. That's more refined. That's "typhoon alley". Then everything east and west of that in the northern hemisphere tropics would be chance weather...

That's the basics with times and locales... Figured it'd be something to "chew" on for later... can go into more details if you like at any time. Hope that helps.

cheers!

(in reply to GBirkn)
Post #: 9
RE: Weather (a weather mans perspective) - 5/31/2004 2:02:53 AM   
2Stepper

Just wanted to add to this that there are a bunch of ways to adapt details to this... applying a bit of climatology (part of my field) and the numbers ya'll use to determine chances should make adapting "real weather" to the game fairly easy...

So with that said, I'm at your disposal.

(in reply to 2Stepper)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Weather Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI