Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/28/2004 6:58:25 PM   
rich12545

Ray:
On another note, I finally broken down and loaded up CM: Beyond Overlord and played around with it some. Interesting but not the same as my Marines slugging it out in the jungle. Nice graphics though.

There is a Pacific theater mod that you can get for cmbo, should be available on the wargamer.

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 31
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/29/2004 3:47:34 AM   
KG Erwin

I just got off the phone with Dave Heath. With all of the last-minute changes and enhancements, this is gonna be a huge download. The download build takes time, and submitting it to the servers takes time.
There will be NO patch. This is what I already suspected. Don't expect anything this weekend. I'm pushing for this to get done, guys. You want it, I want it, so thanks for being extraordinarily patient.
Glenn

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 5/28/2004 8:53:30 PM >

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 32
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/29/2004 4:03:11 AM   
KG Erwin

I'm gonna add this as a personal note. Dave Heath's wife is a member of the NYPD, and he is often in care of their three children in addition to taking care of the Matrix Games business. You guys keep this in mind, and cut the man some deserved slack.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 33
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/29/2004 6:22:21 AM   
KG Erwin

bump

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 34
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/29/2004 8:29:58 AM   
Major_Mess

KG

Thank You for the continued updates.................................

Considering that you already gave us a heads-up that you were taking time off, your input here is "above and beyond" what should (and can be) be expected.

Thanks again ............................. from a complete SPWaW freak.

Major Mess

It will get here when it gets here.

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 35
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/29/2004 7:13:16 PM   
Smeghead

Aye, thanks for the updates there KG and hat's off to all the developers!

You guys are the best.

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 36
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/29/2004 7:57:53 PM   
Goblin

Glenn, no one has answered the question of why it has to be a full download and not a patch. It was stated that it is because there are changes to the mech exe, but H2H has changes to the mech exe, but is much smaller than a full download. Why the full download then? Any insights?

Goblin

(in reply to Smeghead)
Post #: 37
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/29/2004 8:14:22 PM   
wodin

OK. I will keep my fingers crossed for next week soemtime.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 38
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 12:38:14 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Glenn, no one has answered the question of why it has to be a full download and not a patch. It was stated that it is because there are changes to the mech exe, but H2H has changes to the mech exe, but is much smaller than a full download. Why the full download then? Any insights?

Goblin

Eric, I asked David this very question last night. There are so many tweaks and changes and enhancements with 8.2 that it's pointless to release a patch.
I'm supposed to be on holiday, but I just can't stay away from here. Let me buy you a beer, Goblin, and let's enjoy the long weekend.
I'm also pulling out my favorite war movie DVDs in honor of the vets. First up--a "Band of Brothers" marathon.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 5/29/2004 5:46:37 PM >

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 39
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 1:56:46 AM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Eric, I asked David this very question last night. There are so many tweaks and changes and enhancements with 8.2 that it's pointless to release a patch.

So all the graphic and sound -files were changed?

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 40
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 2:14:13 AM   
Skeletor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

No wonder its taking so damn long!

-Skeletor

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 41
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 2:55:17 AM   
Orzel Bialy

quote:

If it is that large of a download then the sound and graphics files would have to be the main reasons. The mech.exe and OoB files would not have been that large alone to have entailed the need for a complete new download.

Hey Gunny...is there a snowball's chance in Hell that the README.txt file for all the changes could be posted? I mean it's not going to make a damned difference now if we get a heads up on what was changed...so I why not see if we can pull down the wall of secrecy and at least let the community see what's coming?

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 42
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 2:56:22 AM   
Orzel Bialy

oh yeah...forgot to include this:

Please.

(in reply to Orzel Bialy)
Post #: 43
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 3:33:14 AM   
RayM

rich12545,

I looked on the Wargamer site and found only 2 mods for CMBO, one West Front, one East Front. However, I did see several Pacific items for CM. Can the Pacific CM mods be used with CMBO?

Ray

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 44
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 4:20:00 AM   
Schnee0

I hope it is released on or before June 6th ;)
June 6th....

June 6th....

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 45
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 6:27:24 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orzel Bialy

quote:

If it is that large of a download then the sound and graphics files would have to be the main reasons. The mech.exe and OoB files would not have been that large alone to have entailed the need for a complete new download.

Hey Gunny...is there a snowball's chance in Hell that the README.txt file for all the changes could be posted? I mean it's not going to make a damned difference now if we get a heads up on what was changed...so I why not see if we can pull down the wall of secrecy and at least let the community see what's coming?

(sigh) So much for my time off...Ken, let me quote something I posted at the Depot:

"To my buddies here, and apparently I've lost a few due to my damnable honesty in my opinions, here's more: one of the primary focuses of the 8.2 updates is for solo players. The AI choices have been adjusted, so playing a long campaign vs the AI will offer more of a challenge. With all the crap that's been fired between us, I'm fully understanding what needs to be done. We need two OOBs --one for solo play, one for PBEM. The old official Matrix versions tried to please everyone and ended up pleasing no one.

There's only one solution for PBEM players--either you guys play with H2H, or completely overhaul the OOBs to suit you. Now, this being said, I really want you guys to hold off till 8.2 is released. Frankly, I'm getting pissed off with the delays too, BUT, we have no right to bitch about an upgrade to a free game--period. I thought about calling David, but I'm not going to bother him--he knows what needs to be done. "(note: I DID call David, and he is working on it)

Some of you guys have railed against me for offering news that has proved to be false. Well, here's the truth--there are problems with the download." (note: these problems have been addressed). "The good news is that the OOB Team was given an extension of time to add last-minute tweaks to the OOBs.

Now, with my telling you this, I don't want to hear any more whining or moaning about delays. No more subscribing to the spoiled children. I'm done with it in this post.
Regards,
Glenn"

This posting resulted in my being banned from the SPWaW Depot forums. Guys, I have done everything I can to get the updated game to you. I tell the truth, and then get damned for saying it.
No matter--I will tell you guys over here what's going on, and I'll do my best to support the game.
To the Depot members-- you hurt my feelings very much, BUT, once my banning period is over, I will post there again. Above everything else is my love for the game and my friends, even during times we may spat and fuss and fight amongst each other. We'll get over it and move forward.

Post #: 46
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 6:55:46 AM   
rich12545

quote:

ORIGINAL: RayM

rich12545,

I looked on the Wargamer site and found only 2 mods for CMBO, one West Front, one East Front. However, I did see several Pacific items for CM. Can the Pacific CM mods be used with CMBO?

Ray

There have been several mods to CMBO. The first was a desert mod, one for the east front, the early west front, one for the Pacific (which is designed for cmbo). I'll check out the links and post here in the next couple of days.

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 47
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 7:00:15 AM   
rich12545

Gunny, I was really pissed off at you for a while for deleting my thread with no reason a couple of months ago. Now, I feel sorry for you. You have a thankless job that you do for free to serve the spwaw community. You simply pass on information that you have no control over and people get mad at you. I think you're doing great under trying circumstances. Keep up the good work and try to get some rest this weekend.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 48
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 7:13:49 AM   
rich12545

Ray, I just checked the wargamer. Go over to the Games Depot, cmbo section, and download everything by Mike Thompson and MikeT. Then enjoy.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 49
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 7:19:03 AM   
RayM

rich12545,

Thanks, will do.

Ray

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 50
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 7:56:41 AM   
RayM

rich12545,

Maybe I missed something....

I went to the site and found these Pacific Mike Thompson's files in Combat Mission vice CMBO.

(1) Combat Mission : Combat Mission Pacific Theater Mod (10 SEP 2002)
(2) Combat Mission : CM Pacific Theater Mod Scenarios (10 SEP 2002)
(3) Combat Mission : CM Pacific Theater Mod Iwo Jima (10 SEP 2002)
(4) Combat Mission : Pacific Mod: Shallow Water Files Tarawa (24 SEP 2002)

I attempted to DL file (1), (2), and (3) and came up "file not found-404" response.
File (4) DL activated as usual with WinZip.

Any other ideas?

Ray

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 51
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 8:05:16 AM   
RayM

rich12545,

Just found MikeT's "War at the Rim Those Forgotten Bastards" webpage at Wargamer. It says "WARTFB Coming Soon!" It has some screen shots too.

Ray

(in reply to RayM)
Post #: 52
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 3:54:55 PM   
Orzel Bialy

quote:

This posting resulted in my being banned from the SPWaW Depot forums. Guys, I have done everything I can to get the updated game to you. I tell the truth, and then get damned for saying it.
No matter--I will tell you guys over here what's going on, and I'll do my best to support the game.

Gunny,
We both know that there was a bit more than that one post that lead to the DEPOT's decision. To give the impression that it was the result of "being honest" via a single post does not give a fair representation of all the factors involved...but I'm not here to debate that in public unless you wish to.

quote:

To the Depot members-- you hurt my feelings very much, BUT, once my banning period is over, I will post there again.

It's an understandable reaction to the situation Gunny and you are welcomed to do so after the cool off period expires.

quote:

Above everything else is my love for the game and my friends, even during times we may spat and fuss and fight amongst each other. We'll get over it and move forward.

I don't think that anyone has ever questioned your passion for the game Gunny...and you have participated in projects that give back to the community, which says a lot. You yourself have stated that you can, at times, get overly frustrated and it may lead to the posting of a thread that comes off a bit harsher than intended. The truth is that is a human trait shared by us all.

I don't post here all that frequently anymore, for reasons of my own. My posts have been fairly much confined to the issue of 8.2 and it's release. Believe it or not...I don't come over here to be "mean to Gunny" over the issue of the delays and I have never slung around insults at you as a means to an end. We all know that the delays are not of your doing...and that there are obviously issues behind the scenes. We know that you have only so much information to share and that you are not kept in the loop on every aspect of the process...so what you do share is appreciated, whether you believe it or not.

However, I don't think that should mean that people shouldn't ask questions. I think a lot of posts are made by people with the intention/hope that someone with a few more answers may jump in on your behalf Gunny. Unfortunately that hasn't happened and therefore its the mod that will usually take some heat for the lack of answers...but to view them all as personal is a mistake Glenn.

Anyway, my post about the readme.txt was not meant to be an attack. It was an attempt to see if the community could at least be let in on the changes that have been kept such a guarded secret for a reason that many do not understand. Was it tainted with some heavy words...yep it sure was. That was my frustration coming through and I figured why not take a shot. I mean even the biggest movies of the summer release trailers and previews...so why not see if the community could get a big juicy bone thrown its way?

OK...done with my response now. Just wanted to respond to the issue at hand and clarify my position and let you know that I don't hold anything against you personally Gunny.

Once 8.2 is released I won't be around these parts very much...maybe that will be an incentive for some to get the thing posted.

< Message edited by Orzel Bialy -- 5/30/2004 11:42:56 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 53
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 5:29:03 PM   
Smeghead

Thanks for the update KG!

I for one would rather get more intel and communication than less!

Now take the rest of the weekend off!

Post #: 54
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 5:39:13 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orzel Bialy
Once 8.2 is released I won't be around these parts very much...maybe that will be an incentive for some to get the thing posted.

What do I have to post?!?!

Goblin

Post #: 55
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 5:55:04 PM   
rich12545

Ray, that web site is outdated. The mod was completed some time ago but the links appear to be broken. You might try asking at Battlefront's CM forum. Or maybe try to find a way to reach Mike Thompson. Someone at BF might know that also.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 56
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 6:59:57 PM   
h_h_lightcap

ok---

I havent really wanted to get involved in this ---but----here goes.

I agree with gunny about:

1. shut up!!!!!! Its a free game sheesh. Be patient. They announced a date and didnt live up to it. Boo Hoo!!! Relax. Its not life or death its a game.

2. there should be 2 OOB's. Inflated costs to keep certain units down is silliness beyond belief in PBEM.. If you want to keep units out just dont allow any rarity 2 or 3 units in a PBEM. I know this is not Gunny's idea alone nor has he been the main proponant of it but its a great idea!! Someone should take the new 8.2 OOB and adjust the costs then viola!!! I know this takes an enormous amount of time, time I dont have, but maybe someone could do it and then ask for a donation to their favorite charity--like STEELER does with CD burns. BTW i know H2H has already done alot of the work in this area.

I agree with Orzel about:

1. they should release the README---Duh! good publicity and it would keep the whiners off their backs for a while (MAYBE). Remember Matrix you do sell things!! Make you customers happy with one game and they will buy others.

2. Cooling off periods are good......

One more thing....how did the discussion of CM sneak in here!!!

HH---ducking and covering-----SERPENTINE!!!!

"My soul knows my meat is doing bad things, and is embarrassed. But my meat just keeps right on doing bad, dumb things." ----Kurt Vonnegut

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 57
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 7:11:37 PM   
Orzel Bialy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

What do I have to post?!?!

Goblin

Now Goblin...remember that according to some people (like the person who sent me those anonymous emails way back when first informed me) posts like this do nothing to further the enhancement of the game...and in fact only serve to dumb down the forum and it's main purpose of enlightenment.

LOL

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 58
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 7:18:59 PM   
JJKettunen

Yeah, shut the feck up! It's a free game! SPCamo does it for free too, and do they post info on their updates before the release? Well...yes they do, but hey, this is SPWAW! It will be the best version ever, just like 8.0/8.1 were! You may need to change all the unit prices after downloading the game, and it takes an enourmous amount of time, but shut up, it's free!!!

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to h_h_lightcap)
Post #: 59
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 5/30/2004 7:26:22 PM   
h_h_lightcap

Last comment (maybe)------

Shut up may have been a bit strong---the impoortant part of what i said was-----ITS A GAME!!!! RELAX!!! I have a son that has 8-12 seizures a day and my wife and I are constantly fiddling with meds and the stress is very high.......etc etc. I say this not to elicit sympathy---but cmon get some perspective. Yes Matrix has made mistakes but geez take a breath----it will all be allright.
NOW if you want ot see me bust a vein check out the thread about Iraq in the art of wargaming....no really maybe not its way overdone.

Cooling off now---HH

BTW orzel I LOVES LOVES LOVES the depot!!!!!

"My soul knows my meat is doing bad things, and is embarrassed. But my meat just keeps right on doing bad, dumb things." ----Kurt Vonnegut

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI