Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/2/2004 2:01:33 AM   
Major_Mess

Hello all.

I'm near the end of a couple of PBEM's (I'm a virgin, these are my first games and I am getting smoked on both of 'em).
Now what I'd like to know is ...........................

I'm still having fun, but I don't want to waste the other players time with what is now a foregone conclusion.

Do I play them through to the end? When is the end?
Does the PBEM game automatically end when all VH's are held by one side?
How about when I lose my AO unit? - (I know, never lose your AO unit - I'm learning).

I hate to send a message to my opponent "can I quit". - that to me is sooo wimpy. I started the game, I want to finish it properly.

What do you guys/girls/sissies like to do, how do you handle this????

Thanks very much for your input.

I think when my games are done I'll see about starting a PBEM Etiquette/Tricks Thread - It takes a long time to research this forum - time I can better spend playing. But I don't want to piss anybody off................................... (Well yes I do, there are a couple of people on my list - not on these forums though.)

Major Mess ........................ trying to do the right thing

Click below. You know you want to!!

Post #: 1
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/2/2004 3:09:00 AM   
rbrunsman

You can F9 (surrender) at any time. That is what it is there for. Neither player particularly enjoys playing a lopsided game to the bitter-end. Do the honorable thing when you know you are getting your ass kicked and hit the F9 key.

Caveat: When you get better, you will find that even though you think things are going very badly, your opponent may F9 on you. The point is, many times you are doing far more damage to your opponent than you thought possible. So don't F9 before you REALLY know it is a done-deal.

Bob

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 2
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/2/2004 3:10:33 AM   
rbrunsman

Oh, also, the game will end on you if one player has lost his A0 and doesn't hold any of the VHs. When you start crushing people, you'll want to keep that in mind if you do not want the battle to end early (or if you do).

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 3
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/2/2004 3:21:03 AM   
Goblin

I agree. As soon as I know I am losing badly, I F9 it. Why waste eachother's time, you could be playing another game and having fun. I have played some players that just will not surrender, no matter how bad they are being creamed. I HATE THAT. I have surrendered just to end the game in that circumstance before. I know who won, even if I had to surrender to get the heck out of the situation.

Goblin

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 4
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/2/2004 3:24:10 AM   
radboy223

As a frequent pbem player, I also have found myself occasionally wrestling with this question. Personally, I often find myself enjoying fighting a desperate defense or even a rearguard action covering a withdrawal and you only really see those when you're losing, lol. My natural tendency is to try to fight it out to the bitter end when things go badly for me(as they do, more often than not), but sometimes I wonder if my opponents would prefer that I just let them move on to someone more challenging(my lone games vs. V2 and later mr. Goblin come to mind for some reason ). I like the long games, where long-term planning can come to fruition(or crash and burn), but I usually don't know how my opponents feel on the subject. It would be nice to hear a few more peoples' preferences on this thread.

"I am tired of talk that comes to nothing." Chief Joseph

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 5
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/2/2004 3:41:24 AM   
radboy223

Hm...., didn't mean to make it sound like I always insist on fighting it out down to the last man no matter how hopeless the fight, just that it can also be enjoyable(and educational) to fight on the (apparently)losing side of a battle. When it becomes clear to me that I'm hopelessly beaten, then at that point I surrender. But until that point, I'll do my best to win or at least fight you to a standstill.

"I am tired of talk that comes to nothing." Chief Joseph

(in reply to radboy223)
Post #: 6
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/2/2004 4:00:04 AM   
Goblin

I agree, radboy. I surrender when I know its a loss, not when I start losing. I like the defensive opportunities also.

Goblin

(in reply to radboy223)
Post #: 7
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/2/2004 8:45:25 AM   
Major_Mess

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'll pull the pin when I REALLY KNOW .......................... or if other circumstances impose themselves.

If anyone else has a thought on this - ALL views are important ......................... please pass on your opinions ................................. it will only bring more lurkers out in the open ............................ where you can then squish them in their first PBEM game.

Thanks Again,

Major Mess ...................... I may have lost the battle ..................... but I'm in for the whole War.

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 8
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/4/2004 8:04:20 PM   
Frank W.

don´t F9.

you can always get a draw in the current points calculation
in SPWAW. if you manage not lose to much units and destroy
some from the enemy.

even my last 5-6 games weren´t played very good from my side
( too unpatient, wrong units buyed, rushing etc....) i only
got 1 defeat out of them. all other´s were draws.

another thing this is if you have much vic hexes that count
much in the end, or those who count per turn. i mean if your
enemy has captured most of the vic hexes and the ycount 30 per turn,
and the game is 30 turns long. if you don´t manage in this situation
to get some hexes back in early enough state of the game and you
have quite high losses then "F9"....

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 9
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/4/2004 8:17:10 PM   
Jim1954

If you are really getting plastered and have no real hope of victory, there's nothing wrong in asking your opponent if he really wants to continue. All he can say is yes(and you play for that draw) or no and you start up a new one and use what you just learned for the next time.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to Frank W.)
Post #: 10
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/4/2004 8:52:32 PM   
VikingNo2

Either way, but I have F9 a couple of times when I knew all was lost, on the flip side I have snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, with reinforcements, if your careful you can us your enemy success against him I played a game reciently I was the Italians and Frank W was the Brits, Frank had large amount of Light armor and infantry AT weapons he smashed my northern forces and was over runing everything, I tried the best I could to keep him in the north, and singled out his heavey armor, when my led lease Pz-III came in I was able to sweep him back all the way across the desert, it ended in a draw but was a most enjoyable game.

(in reply to Jim1954)
Post #: 11
RE: PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. - 6/5/2004 5:15:47 PM   
Frank W.

as viking said.

vik is a opponent not easy to play that´s for shure.

but i rushed this game and others too much.
i even didn´t notice that vik took the vic hexes
in my rear

i´m now going over again to more cautious and patient
play, looking also for more details and take time for
a turn. 2 PBM´s i´m now playing with 2 guys from
"the blitz" will show if i can get over my usual
result: "draw"

(in reply to VikingNo2)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> PBEM question - Trying to do the right thing. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI