Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

2 years and I finally finished MCLV!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 5/26/2004 9:38:41 PM   
rbrunsman

I finished "Manstein's X-mas Present" thinking I had about 5 more scenarios to go and BOOM, or should I say, WHIMPER, Lost Victories ended. I got a 234 campaign score for a marginal victory. There was no fanfare, just "game over." That was a HUGE campaign.

I loaded Desert Fox last night. This one looks to be alot smaller. I've only moved a few of my units in the first scenario and I've already found two mine fields. Thanks alot, WB!

Anyone have any recommendations for me?

Bob

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Post #: 1
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 5/26/2004 9:42:31 PM   
Jim1954

To avoid some of the HUGE battles that you just finished with, pick some of the alternate choices rather than the default battle. Most of these seem to be a bit smaller. Not that even the big ones here can rival LV, though.

Oh and one other thing... 37L46 guns sux. You'll just LOVE it when those Matildas come calling.

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 2
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 5/27/2004 1:15:11 AM   
tmac

Congratulations RB!
I'm about 9 battles ahead of you in DF, and all I can say is "Achtung Minen!!" (hope I spelled that right). I believe this is where WB got his well deserved notariety for devious and deadly minefields, and they're everywhere, especially where you don't expect. Have fun!
Tim

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 3
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 5/27/2004 11:40:18 PM   
FM Paul Heinrik

I've been play'in that game off and on for 2-3 yrs too. I'm at the Ft Stalin scenerio how many more after that? I'm kinda getting tired of it and want to start it over again and try and do better or try some of the other choices I had. This game was totally worth the money (I think $50). What other game can you play for 2 yrs and not replay once??

I would be very happy with "marginal victory". You did better than the real guys. I think that Army Group South actually suffered what would have been a "marginal defeat"? or was it a major defeat? I'm talking about before they were pocketed and destroyed of course. After finishing LV I feel I should get a Barbarossa Campaign ribbon or something.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 4
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 5/28/2004 6:02:57 AM   
rbrunsman

Paul:

I got this file from someone (I forget who) who actually kept track of his progress. The scores reported are his.

This should help see how far you have to go.

I got to scenario 48 out of 54 when it ended. Kind of strange. 6 more scenarios might have given me enough points for a major victory.

Attachment (1)

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to FM Paul Heinrik)
Post #: 5
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 5/28/2004 7:15:00 PM   
M4Jess

quote:

ORIGINAL: rbrunsman

I finished "Manstein's X-mas Present" thinking I had about 5 more scenarios to go and BOOM, or should I say, WHIMPER, Lost Victories ended. I got a 234 campaign score for a marginal victory. There was no fanfare, just "game over." That was a HUGE campaign.

I loaded Desert Fox last night. This one looks to be alot smaller. I've only moved a few of my units in the first scenario and I've already found two mine fields. Thanks alot, WB!

Bob

Wow! I never finished the first scen!

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 6
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 5/28/2004 7:24:59 PM   
RockinHarry

quote:

ORIGINAL: rbrunsman

Bob

glad to hear somebody finally tamed the beast! Congrats Rbunsman!

< Message edited by RockinHarry -- 5/28/2004 5:39:38 PM >

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 7
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 6/2/2004 8:38:30 PM   
FM Paul Heinrik

Thanks rbrunsman that will be helpfull.

I had thought that LV wasn't a linear campaign and it wasn't possible to play all scenarios? If you received a DV for all scenarios then you would miss the scenarios that would take place when you lost and vise versa. Also, I had thought that if you did poorly early on the game would end very soon for you.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 8
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 6/2/2004 9:12:00 PM   
Voriax

Paul, it is not linear. A lot depends about which alternative scenario you take or not... When I completed LV something like an year and a half ago I fought some 50 battles (approx as I lost count ) with a final score of 271

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to FM Paul Heinrik)
Post #: 9
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 7/7/2004 10:25:06 PM   
Major_Johnson

And I thought I was the only one to take years to finish an MC!! I just got done with NA!! So don't think your getting off easy with NA!! You'll be shaking the sand out of your boots for a long time!!!

One piece of advice. You might want to play it in no later than version 7.1. I don't believe they adjusted v8.2 to play NA, LV or WT correctly. They'll play, but you'll notice icons and sounds that don't match what they should be.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 10
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 8/18/2004 2:00:38 PM   
baktru

Congratulations :)

I just installed the Mega Campaigns yesterday and started Lost Victories...

Woohaa... Pillboxes galore! Call in the Flame dudes :)

B.

(in reply to rbrunsman)
Post #: 11
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 8/18/2004 3:15:15 PM   
rrockw

Forts, pillboxes, and KV-1's are the ire of us all in the LV mega campaign!

Rich

(in reply to baktru)
Post #: 12
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 8/19/2004 12:24:34 PM   
baktru

Mission 1: Accomplished. The choice for extra Assault engineers seems to have been a good one indeed, since they helped quite a bit in taking out the many bunkers and pillboxes the Russians had.

My Germans succeeded in taking all of the objective hexes, except for a single one in the south where we ended up one hex away...

Question:

How come that some of the artillery keeps firing and firing but I couldn't seem to influence where it hit ?

Starting mission 2 now, I opted to attack immediately without waiting for the bridge to be finished and the StuGskis to cross... With any luck, the Russians are still not too organized, and maybe there's less pillboxes and bunkers a little further from the river...

(in reply to rrockw)
Post #: 13
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 8/19/2004 2:45:29 PM   
wodin

I hate the anti climax when you have spent so damn long playing a game and when you finish it says game over well done.

(in reply to baktru)
Post #: 14
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 9/8/2004 1:23:10 AM   
Portuguese Mercenary

What did you guys want? A sexy girl shaking her stuff at the end of the campaign while a "welcome home soldier" WAV file played in the backround?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 9/9/2004 8:57:15 PM   
rrockw

Now that you mention it that wouldn't be a bad way to end it :)

Rich

(in reply to Portuguese Mercenary)
Post #: 16
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 9/13/2004 1:38:59 PM   
S-type

quote:

Forts, pillboxes, and KV-1's are the ire of us all in the LV mega campaign!

Only at 8th battle, but I already hate those KV's with a passion

(in reply to rrockw)
Post #: 17
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 9/14/2004 2:53:53 PM   
baktru

I'm at my first big tank battle now (5th battle? Something like that) and I'm beginning to see what's so great about the T-34...

It's like my Panzers are thrwoing eggs at them. One T-34 was hit over 10 times so far by the Pz IIIs and is still unscathed. And that includes side and rear shots!

Russian Tanks are tough. Well at least, the KVs and T-34s are.

(in reply to S-type)
Post #: 18
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 9/16/2004 1:40:14 PM   
S-type

It's a lucky the russians have such a low morale, otherwise they would be unbeatable.

(in reply to baktru)
Post #: 19
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 9/17/2004 4:43:05 PM   
baktru

But...

Radziechow is mine! My best battle so far, scoring over 4800 pints, with the Russians getting around 480. And not a single KV or T-34 was alive at the end of the battle...

Losses on my side? A Pz IIIH, a IIIE, all my 2cm wheeled thingies and three Pz IIFs. Oh and a Motorcycle Squad as well, in the last turn...

Hmmm so those monsters can be defeated :)

Next up? Russian counter attack. And I get... Four 88's woohoo! :)

(in reply to S-type)
Post #: 20
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 10/4/2004 6:07:27 AM   
listy the treadhead

After testing LV and finnishing LV several times, I can give the following advice: Smoke and hand grenades are your best freinds. Nothing can quite beat the feeling of slamming a few AT rounds (of any callibre) into a KV, then droping smoke from your 81's on him and getting stuck in with the German equivlent of Rambo.

They Don't like it up them..

(in reply to baktru)
Post #: 21
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 10/5/2004 2:31:53 AM   
mdaia313

I have just gotten to Sevastopol after taking out Festung Maxim Gorky. If you think Festung Stalin was bad, you ain't seen nottin' yet. Oh, and for those of you who haven't gotten there yet; you are going to hate the Donetz River; I fought eight battles in the same spot for over a month.

The battles where as follows: Attacking Izyum (twice), creating a bridgehead over the Donetz at Izium, expanding the bridgehead East, holding the bridgehead against a Soviet advance, evacuating the bridgehead to avoid being cut off, holding Izium againts a two pronged attack, and finally defending against a major assault by Ivan over the frozen Donetz along the entire front which was defended by KmpfGrp Vebber, along with 2 PzIV and 4 Pak-50.

Needless to say I was more than glad to be transfered to Crimea, even if it ment taking on the monster at Maxim Gorki. One observation though. After closing the Ring at Kiev I had not encountered any KV's or T-34's till the last Battle on the Donetz where a stream of T-34's poured across the ice.

I must go now, Sevastopol awaits; house to house fighting. If Kharkov was any precedent, this is going to be rough.

< Message edited by mdaia313 -- 10/5/2004 6:44:58 PM >

(in reply to listy the treadhead)
Post #: 22
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 10/6/2004 3:13:00 AM   
mdaia313

Oh crap, Sevastopol has fallen, and with it so ends Lost Victories! That was loads of fun but I feel cheated; how many battles yet to come did I miss? I guess I should have lost/drawn more battles.

I am thinking of getting Watch Tower or Desert Fox. Any suggestions?

edit: I just noticed that was also the same battle after which rbrunsman's campaing also ended.

< Message edited by mdaia313 -- 10/5/2004 8:14:33 PM >

(in reply to mdaia313)
Post #: 23
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 10/6/2004 3:28:44 AM   
Clipper1968

I have played the first 3 MC and love LV and DF;so I would suggest you to pick up MCDF if you like big battles with panzers and mechanized forces go for this one.It will be also shorter than MCLV but you willl probably enjoy it a lot as I did.
If you prefer close infantry combat choose MCWT and IIRC the battles are smaller and the campaign is shorter than MCDF.
To be honest I have not finished WT as I don't really appreciate this kind of fight even if it is true challenge against all these samourai.
Definitively I vote for DF.
Hope this help.

"s'instruire pour vaincre"

(in reply to mdaia313)
Post #: 24
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 10/7/2004 12:51:00 AM   
mdaia313

Thanks Pumba, I was leaning towards DF since "Panzer Battles" has been my daily reading for the past two weeks. The Ost Front has been my main theater of operations since I downloaded SPWaW; LV didn't disapoint As of yet, North Africa has remained a mistery, but reading von Mellenthin's accounts of DAK's battles has really wetted my appetite.

(in reply to Clipper1968)
Post #: 25
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 11/10/2004 4:35:08 PM   
baktru

My campaign is still running on...

Some more battles have been played, one lost badly. And one was a great victory I thought, except for the small fact that that Pe-2 that bombed my HQ and killed two of the men in there, seems to have killed ME ? Huh? Aargh... No points there for me, in spite of a very nice win points wise...

Further things I noticed....

1) 88s rule! Hmmm okay, I knew that before I got them, but they do!
2) Finally got some Stuka's! Absolutely devastating against infantry, that's a fact... Their use against tanks seems more limited though, and what I need is... Tank killers!
3) Pz IIIH's showed up as well now. Nice tankies :) Finally I can get those T-34s and KV-s with tanks...

Current Battle is a Soviet counter attack against the German supply lines... Brrr... At least 10 T-34s were spotted so far. With the usual huge amount of smaller tanks. Some T-26s and BTs have been killed, but... I don't see how I will win here...

My current tank force?

--> Three (out of five) Pz IIIHs. One was destroyed by a BT, one got a turret damaged hit and I retreated it with its malfunctioned MA.
--> ONE Pz IIIG (of 6). One is immobilized far from the battle due to breakdown, one retreated with a malf'ed gun, 3 were destroyed by BTs, T-26s and BA-10s.
--> A single MG Halftrack
--> All three Stug IIIBs with HE ammo only, they ran out of AP.
--> Two Paks. 3.7cm versions, of course.

And that's it! Versus at least 9 T-34s (one is gone :) ), lots of smaller tanks, quite a bit of infantry and some Gaz-4M-AAs.

This will not be pretty...

B. out.

(in reply to mdaia313)
Post #: 26
RE: 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! - 11/21/2004 1:37:27 AM   
Igor

Oops...wrong thread. Sorry.

< Message edited by Igor -- 11/20/2004 11:47:40 PM >

(in reply to baktru)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Mega-Campaigns for SP:WaW >> 2 years and I finally finished MCLV! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI