Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can't start the game.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Campaigns on the Danube Support >> Can't start the game. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't start the game. - 6/2/2004 11:49:51 PM   
LaFey

Greetings!

Much to my chagrin I've found out I can't run "Campaigns on the Danube"...

The games starts off ok up to the Menu.

The selection button colors don't look well - also the colors on the "Commence" don't look right.

See screenshot here

The colors on the selection buttons are ok if I press & hold the mouse button.

See screenshot here

If I depress the mouse button they get wrong again. This and the above is valid for every selection button.

See screenshot here

If I choose "Commence" the game hangs with a "File not Found" error box - I click ok and I have to close it using ALT + F4.

See screenshot here

I have unninstalled and re-installed the game. I have applied the latest patch.

The DxDiag with computer details can be found here.
Post #: 1
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/3/2004 2:45:24 AM   
Rainbow7

I don't remember if these were the same problems others were running into, but did you install to the default directory or did you change where the game gets put? Installing to the default cleared up many problems.

Troubles overcome are good to tell. -Yiddish saying

(in reply to LaFey)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/3/2004 2:56:54 AM   
Toby42

That's one of the reasons that I have not purchased this download, if it doesn't work on your computer. Then what? You are out the money!!!

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/3/2004 3:44:24 AM   
LaFey

quote:

I don't remember if these were the same problems others were running into, but did you install to the default directory or did you change where the game gets put? Installing to the default cleared up many problems.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and the game actually starts up successfully, even though the button colors problem still remains.

I don't know why the game doesn't work if you install it in c:\Program Files\Matrix Games... (next to the other Matrix games btw) but it does when you get in c:\Matrix Games - I suspect there is a Notepad editable file somewhere that let's you define the paths of the scenarios, etc.

Also I got the game successfully working using Win 98 Compatibility Mode - text in windows (say in the intelligence report) was truncated though - as it often happens when you use compatibility mode anyway.

Frankly I don't think the 40 something EUR I spent on the game weren't well invested. I can see there is interest in the developers to solve bugs and a active fan community - but I must admit I was a bit bugged with everything that happened to me...

I sincerely hope further patches address these issues. I can provide any further info as required in order to help solve them.

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/3/2004 10:26:40 AM   
FrankHunter

Yes, the game seems to need to be in the default directory. Now sure why that is as I have a test version and a final version in different places on my drive and they both work fine. I looked at your screenshots and didn't see a problem, sorry you didn't like the colours. Are you using 1024 by 768 for your screen res with 32 bit colour? The game was written on a Win 2000 platform and tested on Win 98 and XP so it should run fine if your screen is set right.

(in reply to LaFey)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/3/2004 9:31:20 PM   
LaFey

quote:

I looked at your screenshots and didn't see a problem, sorry you didn't like the colours. Are you using 1024 by 768 for your screen res with 32 bit colour?

Yes I am - 1024 by 768 - 32 bit color.

I would never post anything if it was a matter of taste . Look closely at the screenshots on my first post. The area around a selection button that is substituted by a new picture once you click to activate the selection (I think this works like this) isn't well - such as it isn't when I stop clicking the mouse - the picture looks wrong again. The commence button suffers fom the same problem.

I apologize if this is only happening to me - even though I have a pretty common setup that usually (95%) works well with what I throw in - it might be my computer/configuration. Hasn't anyone noticed this problem?

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/4/2004 2:00:07 AM   
Rainbow7

I looked at your first screenshot and the colours and appearance are exactly the same as mine. I think it's all as intended.

(in reply to LaFey)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/4/2004 8:28:37 AM   
LaFey

Humm - I'll try the game on my laptop to see what I get. I'll keep you posted.

The screenshots I posted earlier on are admittedly big, to keep the original colors I get. But check this:

The only ones that look good are numbers 2 and 5, correct? These correct pictures only appear on my screen while I keep the left mouse button pressed (no matter how much time I keep it pressed for testing) - when I stop pressing the left mouse button they change to look again like screenshots 1, 3 and 4.

If this is what you guys are getting then it isn't normal, or is it?

< Message edited by LaFey -- 6/4/2004 6:45:11 AM >

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/4/2004 4:47:15 PM   
Rainbow7

My view about all this is that the game was developed (as far as I know) by only one person with limited resources. He made everything functional but not necessarily polished to a level we see from some bigger companies. Matrix Games has added graphics, but only to a point. I noticed what you're pointing out the first time I started the game up as well, but I just let it slide because everything in the game looked fine (except for all the bugs!!).

(in reply to LaFey)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/4/2004 7:32:59 PM   
FrankHunter

Interesting, I never noticed that. I'll have to check if mine does that, I assume it will.

(in reply to Rainbow7)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't start the game. - 6/19/2004 4:26:29 AM   
LaFey

Frank, will this issue be solved with the next patch?

Just curious.

Cheers!

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Campaigns on the Danube Support >> Can't start the game. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI