Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 2000 Problems ...Can Anyone Help Me ..Please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Windows 2000 Problems ...Can Anyone Help Me ..Please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 2000 Problems ...Can Anyone Help Me ..Please - 12/8/2001 9:57:00 PM   
shane056

I have windows 2000 pro, and the game runs fine in starting up and loading a scenario etc, and right through to finishing my turn, and then towards the end of the A/I's turn it just suddenly returns me right back to windows, for no apparent reason and with no error message.. I'm pulling my hair out on this one.. Can anyone please advise me on what to do to get it running under this windows 2000 please ...Thanks ..Shane056

Post #: 1
- 12/8/2001 11:16:00 PM   
ericstat

Hi Shane. I would suggest the three things:
1. Make sure you have the latest DirectX runtimes (http://www.microsoft.com/directx/homeuser/downloads/default.asp).
2. Make sure you have the latest driver for your video card.
3. Make sure you have the latest driver for your sound card. Bad drivers always cause all kinds of unexpected behavior, especially with games. If the above all fail, I would install (or reinstall, depending on the state of your machine), the latest SP for Win2000. I had SPWAW running with no problems on Win2k on both my laptop and my desktop. I have since upgraded my laptop to WinXP, and it is running as smooth as ever. E.

(in reply to shane056)
Post #: 2
- 12/8/2001 11:21:00 PM   
Warrior

Before doing anything else: Delete steel.prf from the game Save folder, reboot and restart the game. Play and see if the same problem occurs.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to shane056)
Post #: 3
- 12/9/2001 6:16:00 AM   
Belisarius

I too had problems running SPWAW on W2000 pro. Tip: do NOT I repeat NOT upgrade your DirectX to v 8.1!! I did, and had to uninstall it using the help from the wonderful guys here on the forum and a nice little program called DirectX Buster.
It should work fine with DirectX 8.0, tho'.. Otherwise, I don't have much more to say. I upgraded to XP, and it runs smooth. Make sure u have good drivers for your graphics card and mainboard chipset. W2000 isn't the best OS around when it comes to gaming... (an heritage from NT4, I guess)

Got StuG?

(in reply to shane056)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Windows 2000 Problems ...Can Anyone Help Me ..Please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI