Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Why Would They Leave out........

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Why Would They Leave out........ Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 6:19:06 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

2. Have they added addition slots for aircraft?

No.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 31
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 6:20:04 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

1. If there are no free slots for leaders, does that mean you can't add additional land or ground units, because they require leaders?

Leaders are manufactured in game. They do not need to be in the database as a defined one.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 32
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 6:21:07 AM   
pry

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Quesion for Pry.

If there are no free slots for leaders, does that mean you can't add additional land or ground units, because they require leaders?

The leader DB was the only one that all the slots got filled up, it contains 20,000 names so leaders will never be a problem.

There are thousands of excess leaders to command units that arrive with no leader assigned or for any created sub units. If you want to include a historical leader than is not in the DB then you will have to delete one to make room for it.

If you create a additional unit and select "Random" commander then the computer will pick one of the excess commanders of the proper rank to command that unit.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 33
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 6:44:07 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: stubby331

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Because there are 1000 items and only 100 slots. I had to remove items to fit it in.

See anything strange about this ship?

Hi Mogami,
Is this AMC standard in the database or another example of your editing skills. (The Japs had a few of these fitted out didnt they?)

The only thing I see as slightly strange is the durability set @ 25....

Ugh....SLOTS.....!!!#!(*$&@#*$!*!!!

Damned hardcoded, fixed array crap...... There should be INFINTE (limited only by system virtual memory) slots in ALL areas of the database for whatever anyone could ever want to do.....

Let me introduce the programmers at 2x3 to std::list, std::map, std::vector........ You know, ISO C++, that the rest of the world uses without any problems at all..... Oh, I forgot, Gary and Co. never learned C++.....

(in reply to stubby331)
Post #: 34
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 6:48:50 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: pad152

Mogami

quote:

Because there are 1000 items and only 100 slots. I had to remove items to fit it in

Please explain?

Surface Raiders - Yes just want the INJ needs !

Now all we need are a fleet of Japanese Carrier Subs.

I hope your scenario ships with the game!

How easy/hard is it to add new artwork to the game for new ships/aircraft?

Hi, I hope every one understands that every item added with special attributes requires more code for it to be used by the AI and everything in a offical scenario needs to be used by the AI. Scenario designers can add items for human use and just set house rules. My AMC has a load value of 3500. I'm not sure but where the AI or a dingbat human might try to put 3500 float planes on it. I'm considering classing it as a CL (Since it is a cruiser of sorts and in order to commerce raid it need to be allowed into a surface TF and AP's cannot be placed in surface TF.
But if I design a scenario to play Brady in a PBEM game and make a house rule not to put more float planes on it then I have no problem with code.
I've added a few ships that are large bulk carriers. The house rule for their use is they can never load anything except resource points.

The I-400 boats are included in the game. I've added the D-1 class as well. (no torpedos. How the AI would use these would require alot of work but Brady will know they are only for supply transport. And then there is the time thing. 2By3 and Matrix could keep on adding things till the cows came home and never finish the game. Scenario designers will have all the work already done to start with and only need to add what they think is missing and change what they don't agree with.

Wow. Sounds the AI design is as rigidly fixed as the internal data storage system.....

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 35
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 7:00:27 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaypea

I am really looking forward to playing with the editor. It makes this game so much more replayable. Hats off to the developers for including such a powerful editor with the game.

merci!

I suppose, if you replay the first six months over and over again (Or the short scenarios that should ship with the game). But it may take a couple of YEARS to get through one pass of the major campaign.

(in reply to Jaypea)
Post #: 36
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:35:01 AM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

Ugh....SLOTS.....!!!#!(*$&@#*$!*!!!

Damned hardcoded, fixed array crap...... There should be INFINTE (limited only by system virtual memory) slots in ALL areas of the database for whatever anyone could ever want to do.....

Let me introduce the programmers at 2x3 to std::list, std::map, std::vector........ You know, ISO C++, that the rest of the world uses without any problems at all..... Oh, I forgot, Gary and Co. never learned C++.....

I agree, this sounds awfully like early 1980's programming.

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 37
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 1:06:53 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

quote:

3. Is it possible to add a new location on the map, edit the Map and add location data?

No

That means we cannot edit the map in order to add location names next to dots or bases, right? But it is possible to add dots or bases in the database which will show up as 'nameless' locations on the map, I hope. Have done it in UV (e.g. Sio, Ioribaiwa, Kokoda) and since WitP is basically the same engine...?

< Message edited by LargeSlowTarget -- 6/4/2004 11:07:07 AM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 38
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 1:23:14 PM   
Pascal_slith

I thought Kid replied in another thread that we could add a location in a hex....

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 39
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 3:38:48 PM   
pry

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

quote:

3. Is it possible to add a new location on the map, edit the Map and add location data?

No

That means we cannot edit the map in order to add location names next to dots or bases, right? But it is possible to add dots or bases in the database which will show up as 'nameless' locations on the map, I hope. Have done it in UV (e.g. Sio, Ioribaiwa, Kokoda) and since WitP is basically the same engine...?

The map text is not an item you can edit thru the databases.

There are 448 on map base locations, more than most mere mortals can keep up with already (Except for Mogami, he has 8 arms and 16 eyes so it is not a problem for him) ranging in size from 0/0 dots to 10/10 urban centers, why anyone would want to add more bases is beyond me but it is doable thru the editor. I would advise against it, just adding a base to a empty hex may cause unexpected results.

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 40
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 3:44:55 PM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

"Hi Mogami,
Is this AMC standard in the database or another example of your editing skills. (The Japs had a few of these fitted out didnt they?)

The only thing I see as slightly strange is the durability set @ 25...."

Hi, As far as I can tell the Japanese had a number of these (and everyone that I could ID I changed) AP that they armed and considered aux crusiers.

I didn't change the durabilty rating from the standard AP did they actually add protective armor to these ships?

The Allies had many more AMC which are not in the database, don't forget those.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 41
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 9:44:07 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: pry

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

quote:

No

The map text is not an item you can edit thru the databases.

There are 448 on map base locations, more than most mere mortals can keep up with already (Except for Mogami, he has 8 arms and 16 eyes so it is not a problem for him) ranging in size from 0/0 dots to 10/10 urban centers, why anyone would want to add more bases is beyond me but it is doable thru the editor. I would advise against it, just adding a base to a empty hex may cause unexpected results.

Ahh...but we love the "unexpected"....

< Message edited by ZOOMIE1980 -- 6/4/2004 7:44:13 PM >

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 42
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 10:11:31 PM   
mogami

quote:

(Except for Mogami, he has 8 arms and 16 eyes so it is not a problem for him )

Hi,

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 43
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 10:27:57 PM   
freeboy

What ? We cannot edit the names but can we edit the contents.. previous posts indicated this many places.. did I missunderstand? ie add or deleat oil

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 44
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 10:41:20 PM   
pry

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

What ? We cannot edit the names but can we edit the contents.. previous posts indicated this many places.. did I missunderstand? ie add or deleat oil

Ok one more time....

The on map text visual references (IE: "Pearl Harbor") that is written right above the base hex is part of the Map and is not editable.

Everything else can be edited...

< Message edited by pry -- 6/4/2004 2:41:33 PM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 45
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:28:25 PM   
freeboy

sorry to piss you off pry.. so we cannot make new maps?

(in reply to pry)
Post #: 46
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:33:04 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

sorry to piss you off pry.. so we cannot make new maps?

Do you really want to buy/install an image editting tool and start editting the WitP bitmaps, jpegs, gifs, tiffs, etc???? Are you a graphic artist? What he is saying is the names on the map are all part of the bitmap (i.e, the single large image that IS the map). They are NOT separate image files or label entities. Its the same thing as if you do a Shift-Print Screen and paste what you get in a Word doc. You can't edit the words in that image either.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 47
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:34:38 PM   
Mr.Frag

The map editor that controls roads/rail/trails and defines the hexsides paths and hex terrain is a 3rd editor which is very complex and can seriously destroy the game if you do not understand it.

This information is shared globally, not specifically by one scenario so changes made affect everything.

Should you wish to add a base in a area that does not have problems with the hex data, it will work fine.

This is *not* the same as physically updating the map with new information.

Hope that helps you understand.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 48
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:35:37 PM   
freeboy

I know its a full moon, or was yesterday.. but guys calm down.. I love to play with the editors.. like your desire to improve ai performance Zoomie.. so if I want to edit the map to creat a smaller scenario .. even a not pacific scenario why not???

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 49
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:39:06 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I know its a full moon, or was yesterday.. but guys calm down.. I love to play with the editors.. like your desire to improve ai performance Zoomie.. so if I want to edit the map to creat a smaller scenario .. even a not pacific scenario why not???

Scaling the map down to play in a smaller area is NOT editing the map. It is defining a window of area where the map is used. This is fully within the editor.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 50
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:41:04 PM   
freeboy

if I was to say model the med this would... or would I simpoly create a new map file?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 51
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:44:09 PM   
mogami

Hi, You would have to create bitmaps of the Med. How the WITP program would read it is another story. Every hex of the WITP maps has attributes edited to it. (Not the editor provided with game)
You can edit bases but you cannot edit the terrian. If you made a new bitmap the game would still think the attributes for the WITP hex were in use. (So you might have Himalaya data in middle of Med)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 52
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:48:08 PM   
freeboy

right.. I was thinking it might be an editor like in panzer campaigns.. but it does make sense now that the game engine does not support recreating non pacific battles..
would be cool though to adapt this engine for the north attlantic.. west wall.
thanks again for the quick response..

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 53
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:53:32 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

One game at a time

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 54
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/4/2004 11:58:21 PM   
kaleun

Yes! Let's get this one out first.
Big sign on forum "Please do not distract testers or programers until game is delivered!"

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 55
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/5/2004 6:58:35 AM   
barbarrossa

quote:

quote:

One game at a time

I sense a disturbance in the Force............

"It take a brave soldier to be a coward in the Red Army" -- Uncle Joe

"Is it you or I that commands 9th Army, My Fuhrer?" -- Model

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 56
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/5/2004 7:34:14 AM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

Again, I'm quite sure the map, itself is fixed. You want to pretend you are in the Med well you'll have to somehow get a bitmap of the Med and overlay it on WitP's Pacific bitmap. I don't think, for instance, you can take New Guinea off the map. The hexes, unlike hex based games from the 1980's, merely overlay the bitmap that is the map you see. In other words, I don't think you are going to be able to go to a water hex at say 256,455 and change it's terrain attribute from water to forest and create a forested island....

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 57
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/5/2004 8:56:08 AM   
Damien Thorn

In 1.0 version of UV someone discovered how to activate the map editor in the game. It didn't change the picture. Instead, it changed the hex values. You could specify which sides were passible, the water depth, and other things. Since this was doable during any game turn 2x3 disabled it in the next patch.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 58
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/6/2004 6:57:28 PM   
AmiralLaurent

quote:

quote:

Does this mean people can eventually add japanese midget subs to the game???

Hi, Adding Midgets subs is easy. Adding submarines that are in fact torpedos (Kaiten) is much harders. You see one is a vessel that fires weapons. The other is a weapon deployed by another ship (or from a shore installation)

The great difficulty with midgets is their range. There is no way to load them onto a larger ship for transport.

Don't see the problem. Kaiten is just a weapon carried by IJN subs. Basically a torpedo with an higher probability to hit. It should be an update available to part of the IJN subs.

(in reply to mogami)
Post #: 59
RE: Why Would They Leave out........ - 6/6/2004 7:17:48 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

In 1.0 version of UV someone discovered how to activate the map editor in the game. It didn't change the picture. Instead, it changed the hex values. You could specify which sides were passible, the water depth, and other things. Since this was doable during any game turn 2x3 disabled it in the next patch.

The in game hex editor was disabled a couple of builds ago once we started on gold versions. It is there, just not enabled because it can seriously screw up *every* game.

(in reply to Damien Thorn)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Why Would They Leave out........ Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI