Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Japanese Tank Doctrine?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Japanese Tank Doctrine? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Japanese Tank Doctrine? - 12/10/2001 10:44:00 PM   
Mikimoto

Hello. The Japanese fielded three Tank Divisions. The Infantry Divisions had organic Tankette and Light Tank companies. They had also those "armoured Cars" that seems Rifle platforms from my Spanish Civil War... Japanese tanks seem so light and without punch, but I am sure they used them the best they could... I was wondering about tactics and doctrine using those armoured elements... Thanks in advance.

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio
Post #: 1
- 12/10/2001 11:36:00 PM   
GuntherX

High
With the absence of any Guderian or other influences the Japanese relegated most of there tactics to infantry support. There usage as mobile armored infantry because of a lack of historical cavalry in there military context of samurai.
There isn't much published about this topic. I wish there was.

R.D.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 2
- 12/12/2001 12:38:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Thanks GuntherX. I knew about using tanks as infantry support, and tankettes and light tanks were used as cavalry scouts in China... but I hoped more feedback from the Marines Nation...
If you fighted them so well, I assume you know them so well...

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 3
- 12/12/2001 8:23:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

Sorry I can't help you. I am doing an experience by playing with JA Engineer Tanks (with flamethrowers) in support of infantry, but as they have so bad fire control I'm not expecting much.

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 4
- 12/12/2001 8:40:00 AM   
rlc27

Mikimoto, You may already know about this, but there is a Yahoo! groups list on Japanese armor. Email it at
Senshagun@yahoogroups.com to subscribe. It's mostly a modelling group, but I'll bet there is a section on tactics if you look through past threads.

"They couldn't hit an elephant from this dist--"

--John Sedgwick, failing to reduce suppression during the Battle of the Wilderness, U.S. Civil War.

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 5
- 12/12/2001 10:29:00 PM   
Jeff_Ewing

quote:

Originally posted by RichardTheFirst:
Sorry I can't help you. I am doing an experience by playing with JA Engineer Tanks (with flamethrowers) in support of infantry, but as they have so bad fire control I'm not expecting much.
If you're talking about the SS Engineering tank, they rock, in my experience. I forget now who recommended playing an all-infantry Japanese campaign (perhaps it was "Grey Wolf"?), but I'm having a blast with it. The 4 flamers on the SS make up for the lack of fire control. Jeff

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 6
- 12/13/2001 1:00:00 AM   
RichardTheFirst

quote:

Originally posted by Jeff_Ewing:
If you're talking about the SS Engineering tank, they rock, in my experience. I forget now who recommended playing an all-infantry Japanese campaign (perhaps it was "Grey Wolf"?), but I'm having a blast with it. The 4 flamers on the SS make up for the lack of fire control.

Wow! No kidding?! I didn't notice they had 4 flamers, can't wait to see those in action

E Pluribus Unum

Join Steel Panthers Fans

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 7
- 12/13/2001 3:37:00 AM   
Jeff_Ewing

quote:

Originally posted by RichardTheFirst:
Wow! No kidding?! I didn't notice they had 4 flamers, can't wait to see those in action
The only thing I don't like about them is easily fixable via the Editor: they were designed as smoke-laying vehicles, and they have no smoke! Apparently, they could also use demo charges: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/japan/japan-eng.html Jeff

(in reply to Mikimoto)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Japanese Tank Doctrine? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI