Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Das Boot: Uncut Version

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Das Boot: Uncut Version Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 12:24:56 AM   
KG Erwin

Woo hoo! As an early Father's Day/birthday gift, my wife is picking this up for me today. Nearly 5 hours long, this is the original made-for-German TV miniseries, and it was finally released as a two-DVD set here in the US on June 1.

This is one of my all-time favorite movies, and it should be in my hands within an hour or so. I feel like a 46-year old kid waiting for this--is she back yet? (looking out front door). Nope. Hum, hum, hum...How about now?

Post #: 1
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 12:56:21 AM   
Peever

Lucky bastard...

Happy Early Father's Day/Birthday and enjoy the show.

"Sergeant the Spanish bullet isn't made that will kill me," Bucky O'Neil seconds before receiving a fatal shot to the head at the battle of San Juan Hill.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 1:04:42 AM   
Von Rom

You'll really enjoy it :)

I finished watching it a couple of days ago.

There is a great deal more personal interaction, and almost the entire extra 2 hours takes place on the U-boat.

Enjoy.

(in reply to Peever)
Post #: 3
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 1:06:54 AM   
Denniss

Yep - far better than the original movie

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 4
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 2:56:36 AM   
riverbravo

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Woo hoo! As an early Father's Day/birthday gift, my wife is picking this up for me today. Nearly 5 hours long, this is the original made-for-German TV miniseries, and it was finally released as a two-DVD set here in the US on June 1.

This is one of my all-time favorite movies, and it should be in my hands within an hour or so. I feel like a 46-year old kid waiting for this--is she back yet? (looking out front door). Nope. Hum, hum, hum...How about now?

Are you sure it came out june 1?

Ive had a 5 hour "directors cut" version of Das Boot for months.

Wal mart.....8 bucks.

I laugh at hurricanes!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 3:39:18 AM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: riverbravo

quote:

Are you sure it came out june 1?

Ive had a 5 hour "directors cut" version of Das Boot for months.

Wal mart.....8 bucks.

Das Boot - The Original Uncut Version

Starring: Jurgen Prochnow, Herbert Gronemeyer, Klaus Wennemann
Director: Wolfgang Petersen
Rating: R
Run Time: 293 minutes
Release Date: 6/1/2004
Studio: Columbia Tri Star Home Entertainment

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2607077&cat=45114&type=2&dept=4096&path=0%3A4096%3A41938%3A45111%3A45114

If you managed to pull the 293 min. version for $8 months ago, you done good. :)

I have the 209 min. "Director's Cut", which I enjoyed but felt it got a bit disjointed at times. I'd be interested in seeing this version. Hopefully I can rent it.

(in reply to riverbravo)
Post #: 6
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 3:46:33 AM   
KG Erwin

The "Director's Cut" is a single DVD (209 minutes), wheras the "Uncut" version is a two-DVD set. Total running time:293 minutes. I'm loving it so far--there are a couple of British planes that harass U-96 within a couple of days after leaving La Rochelle. These scenes were not in the Director's Cut. The evidence of Ultra's effectiveness is represented here, but the Kaleun simply thinks the Brits only get their intel from onshore operatives.

Pricing: mine came from Circuit City ($35)--Best Buy has it for $30, Wal-Mart ($34). If you liked the original, you just gotta buy it.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/5/2004 8:49:06 PM >

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 7
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 5:42:08 AM   
mjk428

quote:

Pricing: mine came from Circuit City ($35)--Best Buy has it for $30, Wal-Mart ($34). If you liked the original, you just gotta buy it.

$27.96 @ Amazon with free super saver shipping and usually no sales tax. Amazon works great for me since most of their stock is in Fernley NV - about 30 miles away. They'll estimate a week for shipping and I'll get it the next day. :)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 7:47:02 AM   
Von Rom

For those living in Canada or who will be visiting soon, go to A & B Sound and you can pick it up for $28.95. Great deal for American visitors because of the exchange rate.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 9
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 10:10:09 AM   
Maliki

I've seen this movie in it's uncut version and theatrical version and while its a good movie i still can't understand all the hoopla surronding it.

3 and a half hours long with subtitles and dude gets wasted by an airraid at the end whats the big deal

"..if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away."

(in reply to Von Rom)
Post #: 10
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 8:35:56 PM   
riverbravo

yea,its the directors cut.

It clocks in at 209 minutes.

Drats...oh well,still a good version.

I guess i will have to get the new one as well.....great movie.

They did the best job of all sub movies,they really captured the feeling of how it was to live in the eerie world of a sub-mariner.

I laugh at hurricanes!

(in reply to Maliki)
Post #: 11
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 8:49:56 PM   
Pippin

Sometimes I am wondering if perhaps they have been milking this thing in an almost Hollywood style. I mean, it was supposed to be a mini-series, then made into a movie, then expanded, then expanded again directors cut, bring it up to 3.5 hours or so... at least that is the version I bought perhaps 6 years ago (widescreen). And now there is another release again with more footage, why not just have released the entire thing when it was filmed 20 years ago? Perhaps there was some kind of time-line contract done in the begining?

Not sure.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to riverbravo)
Post #: 12
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/6/2004 10:46:04 PM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: riverbravo

yea,its the directors cut.

It clocks in at 209 minutes.

Drats...oh well,still a good version.

I guess i will have to get the new one as well.....great movie.

They did the best job of all sub movies,they really captured the feeling of how it was to live in the eerie world of a sub-mariner.

Well, for 8 bucks you still got a heck of a deal.

@ Pippin

It does look like they really milked it but it's possible that they didn't think most audiences would initially sit through a 5 hour movie. As interest took hold, they accomodated with longer versions.

The Lord of the Rings series is playing a similar game; albeit at a much faster pace. In the case of LotR, many fans are glad they're milking the franchise. Also, they've announced the releases well in advance so buyers could plan accordingly.

Did Kill Bill really get cut in half because it was felt to be too long or because they realized they could get a 2 for 1? Probably a little of both.

< Message edited by mjk428 -- 6/6/2004 12:46:57 PM >

(in reply to riverbravo)
Post #: 13
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/7/2004 1:04:35 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pippin

Sometimes I am wondering if perhaps they have been milking this thing in an almost Hollywood style. I mean, it was supposed to be a mini-series, then made into a movie, then expanded, then expanded again directors cut, bring it up to 3.5 hours or so... at least that is the version I bought perhaps 6 years ago (widescreen). And now there is another release again with more footage, why not just have released the entire thing when it was filmed 20 years ago? Perhaps there was some kind of time-line contract done in the begining?

Not sure.

It was filmed as a mini-series, but was so well received a cut-down version was prepared for cinema release. As has happened elsewhere (Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now), that was followed some years later by the "directors cut", and a second (and much wider) cinema release. The movie and directors cut video/DVD releases followed the normal pattern, but (again) as Das Boot is so popular there was a demand for the mini-series on DVD too... and a chance to make more money of course ;)

Actually, although I've seen the mini series on TV a couple of times, I've no real wish to aquire the DVDs. I still think the "directors cut" is by far the strongest version of the three - "more" doesn't always mean "better", and the DC restores the stuff left out of the original movie that SHOULD be there without adding some stuff from the series that IMHO isn't really necessary.

(in reply to Pippin)
Post #: 14
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/7/2004 10:47:05 AM   
joki

K G -
You lucky bastard !!
I think it is one of the best sub movies !! I have seen both the original and the dirctors cut versions.
You get some more info about the people and see the endless wait , in the dir. cut version.

Jonas

Matrix Games players - Divided by borders, united by the game !!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/7/2004 6:27:29 PM   
riverbravo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjk428

The Lord of the Rings series is playing a similar game; albeit at a much faster pace. In the case of LotR, many fans are glad they're milking the franchise. Also, they've announced the releases well in advance so buyers could plan accordingly.

Yea,the LOTR deal is a gold mine.It helps that they are great movies.

Thats one marketing scam I dont mind since the movies are GREAT!

I think the Das Boot plan came about over time..

Either way Im glad the movie is making a "come-back" so to speak.

I laugh at hurricanes!

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 16
RE: Das Boot: Uncut Version - 6/9/2004 1:38:53 PM   
Boar

LOTR hype is deserved indeed, much as I hate parts of the 2nd movie. The director deseves a great deal of credit for pulling off
a highly entertaining, nearly accurate representation of an epic book. That said, he really pissed me off at times (worst thing
was his treatment of Faramir -- the "smackdown" Gandalf applies to Denethor was almost as ridiculous).

I've got the Director's Cut of Das Boot. Some movies have people scratching their heads. This is a movie with long stretches
of boredom. Like being aboard a U-Boat during WW2. Punctuated with exciting and potentially deadly sea battles and ambushes.
When I saw it in the theater and came out afterwards I said to myself, I sure as hell would never want to be on a submarine. I felt
like the guys felt when they managed to blast from the bottom near Gibraltar.

I've read one great review of all 3 movies. Basically the uncut version is more submarining goodness -- http://www.thedigitalbits.com/doogansviews/052504.html#das

Good Father's Day gift. Mine -- which I thoughtfully purchased for myself ;) -- is the Stanley Kubrick collection (remastered). Full Metal Jacket,
here we come!

(in reply to riverbravo)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Das Boot: Uncut Version Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI