Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/2/2004 11:08:41 PM   
Kristo Vaher

Is the manual and such getting additions too?

And any estimates how long will it take to actually reach downloadable stage?

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 91
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/2/2004 11:58:34 PM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kristo Vaher

Is the manual and such getting additions too?

And any estimates how long will it take to actually reach downloadable stage?

Kristo, the manual hasn't been updated since, what, 5.0? This is a good idea, and needs to be addressed.

For question 2: as long as it takes.

(in reply to Kristo Vaher)
Post #: 92
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/3/2004 12:06:16 AM   
Kristo Vaher

Yeah, the manual would need an update. I doubt that the only thing that has changed is the amount and parameters of units since 5.0, and it would be nice to actually be sure about the info you read.

But still, I doubt it will be updated since 8.2 is the final release and MG finalizes with SPWAW. Doubt anyone would be most likely rewriting alot of the manual, plus the new information.

but at least 8.2 will be out. Good.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 93
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/3/2004 3:52:36 AM   
hellcat

and don't forget to put 8.2 version number in main screen this time, can't believe they left it off 8.1

Post #: 94
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/7/2004 4:38:21 AM   
BryanMelvin

Well -it should read 8.2 atleast the oobs will

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellcat

and don't forget to put 8.2 version number in main screen this time, can't believe they left it off 8.1

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 95
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/7/2004 4:58:09 AM   
BryanMelvin

Yes, the oobs were redone according to your input. Much was returned to to 7.1 data as many suggested.

Here are few more things:

Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle game functions will now work.

In 7.1 oobs, selected formation slots were used to pick AI Formations for these style games. Many of these picked the same formations or odd formations over and over again and rendered Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle games verses the AI unplayable for extended playings.

In 8.2, these formation slots were located, marked/labeled, and made into AI Formation Pick formations. These were further adjusted to help the AI pick a better troop mix per time/date/year for Unit selections inside these formations.

This makes playing Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle games challenging and fun. You may not know what the AI will pick the next battle and each battle will become different than the last.

Since these are labeled, you can adjust the AI Pick formations inside the oobs to your own liking if you wish by using the oob editor and create your own Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle game oobs for personal use. It is not necessary to do so but this option is open for your use.

You will discover a new untapped genre for playing spwaw Long Campaigns, Campaign Generated games, and Battle games verses the AI.

It should be released soon.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 96
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/7/2004 9:12:30 AM   
Kristo Vaher

quote:

ORIGINAL: BryanMelvin

It should be released soon.

hope so...

(in reply to BryanMelvin)
Post #: 97
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/7/2004 9:22:01 PM   
Akmatov

Hmm, seems interesting. Thanks for the info.

Post #: 98
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/7/2004 9:49:46 PM   
hellcat

define soon please? as frankly we've heard just about every kind of rubbish about when it's gonna be here and it's pissed a lot of people off and quite a few have logged off mgf for the last time due to this attitude. Bryan if you have any weight with mg please get them to start treating their user base with something akin to respect.

(in reply to Akmatov)
Post #: 99
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/7/2004 11:59:14 PM   
KG Erwin

All of you guys, I thank you for your patience. The download is being privately tested as I write this. The complete SPWaW 8.2 free download will be approx 450 MB. The complete for purchase "Generals' Edition" with SPWaW 8.2 and all four Mega Campaigns will be closer to 700 MB.
The next news will be on the Matrix front page, so no need to check in here for updates on the release. I'll be starting a new sticky thread on 8.2 comments, and un-stickying the 8.1 thread.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 6/7/2004 5:09:52 PM >

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 100
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 12:03:25 AM   
mkoch

Sounds good!!!!!!!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 101
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 12:05:39 AM   
Schnee0

What was the time from when 8.01 was being privately tested to the time it was released?

(in reply to mkoch)
Post #: 102
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 12:17:43 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schnee0

What was the time from when 8.01 was being privately tested to the time it was released?

I'm not sure on this, Schnee0. All we're doing is making certain everything is going to the proper folders and no data is scrambled when it's installed. There were some issues with the first release of 8.0, so we want to be certain you get a flawless install. I'm not ready to start the release party until we get a 100% successful test run.

(in reply to Schnee0)
Post #: 103
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 3:29:01 AM   
Smeghead

Thanks for the updates KG.

I for one am willing to wait until it is READY.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 104
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 3:42:02 AM   
hellcat

hey smeghead nobody has said 'give it to us unfinished' your posts (and I'll be coming those in a second) seem to suggest others are clamoring for it to be released half finished which nobody is doing.

In fact, your entire posting history consists of just about the same expression of glib 'well I for one...' support in the face of a previously critical thread.

It's been a topic of conversation that you may not, in fact, be real at all and just a (i'm not sure what the word is for you in fact but I'm sure there is one for 'someone who posts on a forum but isn't a real person and probably part of the forum management process' but I'm sure there is a groovy web word for it)

Of course, if you are a genuine person and just the eternal optimist then I apologise most profusely but would you care to demonstrate your 'real-ness' for all to see?

(in reply to Smeghead)
Post #: 105
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 4:11:33 AM   
Rudyard Tippling

What you are suggesting, my dear hellcat, is that a forum member may dare post using a psedonym. This is sheer promotion, my dear boy. We simply want to keep the pot boiling, so to speak, and I raise a glass to them. They mean no harm. This all reminds me of a favorite W.C Fields line: " Yes , madam, I am drunk, but you, my dear, are crazy. Tomorrow, I will be sober, but you will be crazy for the rest of your life".

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 106
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 4:49:30 AM   
hellcat

I thought that Winston Churchill and he said 'ugly' instead of crazy.

Well I for one would prefer a forum to be without these forum assistant bots or whatever they are

are you admitting on behalf of smeghead that he's not real???

< Message edited by hellcat -- 6/8/2004 2:51:04 AM >

(in reply to Rudyard Tippling)
Post #: 107
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 8:22:31 AM   
Smeghead

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellcat
hey smeghead nobody has said 'give it to us unfinished' your posts (and I'll be coming those in a second) seem to suggest others are clamoring for it to be released half finished which nobody is doing.
In fact, your entire posting history consists of just about the same expression of glib 'well I for one...' support in the face of a previously critical thread.
It's been a topic of conversation that you may not, in fact, be real at all and just a (i'm not sure what the word is for you in fact but I'm sure there is one for 'someone who posts on a forum but isn't a real person and probably part of the forum management process' but I'm sure there is a groovy web word for it)
Of course, if you are a genuine person and just the eternal optimist then I apologise most profusely but would you care to demonstrate your 'real-ness' for all to see?

LOL, now this I find amusing. Well I feel honoured that some would even talk about me... especially those considered a 'Matrix Elite Guard' etc.

AS far as I know I AM a genuine person. Recalling my philosphy I think it was Decartes that proved that to myself in 1st year University.

As to my 'glib' posts, my thanks for your comments.

I have done software developement for clients where they are not watching you through a monitor but watching you literally, where deadlines mean you either make money or very little to none.
I know some of the pressures the SPWAW team is under.
Personally, I appreciate any and all information that the team is willing to divulge on anything to do with current status, release dates, problems with said release dates etc. (i.e. the download issue). I will continue to post my thanks and more as the SPWAW team puts them up. Especially for a FREE game now that I have played since SP1 origionally came out.
No offense to you hellcat, but I don't care either way if you think I am real or not, but if it makes you (and whoever you have these parleys with) feel better whether I am some figment of the internet, a forum gobot or REAL, then let me know how I can prove my 'real-ness'.

Want a game of SPWAW? Want to see a picture of me? My email is up for all as well.

Seeing this post was somewhat near seeing an announcement the new version was done!
Well.. not really but it had me laughing. Thanks for that..

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 108
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 8:38:34 AM   
hellcat

well that sounds very convincing

(in reply to Smeghead)
Post #: 109
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 11:44:28 AM   
Kokoda

I'm with Smeghead. I can wait.

There's about 37 million unplayed scenarios, campaign variants, design ideas, people I'd like to PBEM but haven't yet the courage to ask, PBEMs where I'm still waiting for a turn, etc etc.

I've got something to go on with.

And as for what might have been optimistically and enthusiastically, if unwisely, promised...

I've got something to go on with.

CHRIS

(in reply to hellcat)
Post #: 110
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/8/2004 3:35:51 PM   
FNG

If you are bored waiting, just invade Poland. I did, and it was strangely satisfying. I'll crawl back under my rock now.

FNG
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt.

(in reply to Kokoda)
Post #: 111
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/9/2004 5:32:15 PM   
m10bob

A formal dinner was being held,and someone had unwisely seated "The Lady Astor" next to Mr Churchill.
The Lady Astor was a known busybody,and was very opinionated and certainly never tolerated any "unconventionalities",like imbibing,nor politicians in general..
Mr Churchill was at the time a MP(Member of Parliament:politician),and had been a notorious drinker since being injured in the Boer War.
Not content with the water glass and wine glass placed at his seat,he ordered a water glass sized portion of whiskey to enjoy with the meal,and the Lady astor said "Mister Churchill,I believe you are drunk!"..
Mr Churchill casually turned to her and stated "Madam,you are certainly correct,I am drunk,but you Lady Astor are ugly,and tomorrow morning,I shall be sober.You however will still be ugly!"
At the time,The Lady Astor was indeed of unique "looks" and had a real reputation as a busybody and one with poor social skills.Mr Churchill was likely just giving The Lady Astor what she had been "asking for" for years..

(in reply to FNG)
Post #: 112
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/9/2004 10:47:34 PM   
Lars Remmen

This reminds me of another anecdote about Churchill.

Another dinner party where he was probably drunk and obnoxious. One lady exclaims "Winston if we were married, I'd put poison in your coffee". Churchill responded "Lady, if we were married I'd drink it!"

Regards,

Lars

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 113
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/10/2004 12:04:36 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

Along the same lines----

As a young subaltern Churchill sported a mustach. At a smart dinner he fell into argument with a grand dowager who, thinking to quell him, smapped, "Young man, I care for neither your poitics nor your mustach."

"Madam," responded Churchill, "you are unlikely to come into contact with either."

KED

(in reply to Lars Remmen)
Post #: 114
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/10/2004 1:29:54 AM   
KG Erwin

To keep you guys updated: the download has been tested, and a few glitches were uncovered. These are being worked on, and the development team will try it again. I realize that the wait is frustrating, but pains are being taken to ensure that 8.2 will be complete and 100% ready before it's released to the public.

I fully understand the reasons for this--SPWaW 8.2 will not only be released as a stand-alone game, but will also be included as part of the various Mega-Campaign packages. It will not be released half-baked, necessitating a hurriedly-issued patch. Great care is being taken to make sure this one is gonna be a flawless install.

You guys have been great in your patience and forebearance, and I personally thank you for not bombarding me with questions on "when".

Meanwhile, keep up your conversations about "Winston". Here's a bit of rock n roll trivia for you: John Lennon's middle name was Winston, and he sometimes listed himself on album credits as "Dr. Winston O'Boogie". I'm not sure about this Rudyard Tippling fellow, though. I need to keep an eye on him.

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 115
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/10/2004 2:11:42 AM   
Smeghead

Thanks KG. Appreciate your update and candour on this.

Some good Winston:
quote:

My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.
- Winston Churchill
I am ready to meet my maker, but whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
- Winston Churchill

I can say I am with Winston on the 1st one, and possibly the 2nd as well.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 116
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/10/2004 3:47:28 AM   
Kevin E. Duguay

In the summer of 1941 Sergeant James Allen Ward was awarded the Victoria Cross for climbing out onto the wing of his Wellington bomber while 13,000 feet above the Zuider Zee, to extinguish a fire in the starboard engine. Secured only by a rope around his waist, he managed
not only to smother the fire but also to return along the wing to the aircrafts cabin.

Churchill, an admirer as well as a performer of swashbuckling exploits, summoned the shy New Zealander to 10 Downing Streat. Ward, struck dumb with awe in Churchill's presence, was unable to answer the prime minister's questions. Churchill surveyed the unhappy hero with some compassion. "You must feel very humble and awkward in my presence," he said.
"Yes sir," managed Ward.
"Then you can imagine how humble and awkward I feel in yours." said Churchill.

KED

(in reply to Smeghead)
Post #: 117
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/11/2004 2:43:55 AM   
Major Destruction

Guys,

Being something of a stickler for detail, I simply had to look up the meaning of the word imminent.
Accordingly, KG Erwin's definition for imminent appears to be "sometime soon"

Somebody later wanted a definition of the word "soon"
I understand that word to mean "in the not too, too, distant future"

The technical jargon, specifically the use of the phrase "in 2 to 3 days" I believe is using the biblical definition. Therefore when KG tells us it will be released in 2 to 3 days, he really means "a time equivalent to the time it took God to create heaven and earth, day and night, land and sea, grasses and trees, stars and moon and sun.

As you can appreciate this is a lot of stuff to cram into just 3 days and so it is with the SPWAW version 8.2 download. But when it is complete, it will be good.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

(in reply to Kevin E. Duguay)
Post #: 118
RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release - 6/14/2004 1:03:09 AM   
Wild Bill

ANd a special thanks to you, Major, for your wise and dogged input into this project. Stuart, you are one of the most thorough and meticulous men I know. You might want to look those up too, but they mean good things, at least in the Wilder dictionary

WB

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Major Destruction)
Post #: 119
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: Announcement: 8.2's Imminent Release Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI