Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Steel Panthers World At War v7.0 Released and What Do You Think

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Steel Panthers World At War v7.0 Released and What Do You Think Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Steel Panthers World At War v7.0 Released and What Do Y... - 12/12/2001 9:21:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Guys Here is something new here at Matrix we made this release date on time Let me say on thank you for your support in sticking with us. We know you have a choice were to spend your money and we do not take that lightly. We like for each and everyone of you to consider this a little Christmas present from all us to all of you. This is such a great community and we want to expand it even more and you can help. We feel this is the best Steel Panthers ever! If you think so tell tell a friend... heck anyone! About Matrix Games. If you told everyone already try to bring newbie into the hobby. A few more notes if you order Lost Victories or Operation Watchtower Mega Campagins you will get the latest and greatest copy of SPWaW with all the sound and OOB updates being you up to date with version 7.0. The Full free Internet version will be release soon as Games Domain makes it available. We will also post a link to it once it up. The full version will be 474MB. Yes its big... but its got what you want, a expanded better version of SPWaW. As we always do please let us know what you think of this version. Also we like to thank everyone who has purchased a Mega Campagin. It has really help us in keep the development of our new games going. Once again everyone Happy Holidays and enjoy. OK I won't make you wait any more the the upgrade can be found at http://www.matrixgames.com/updates_2.asp What New In SPWaW v7.0 BUGS: 1. Units passing over shallow water or through swamps ignore the beneficial benefits of bridges and will sometimes become stuck or flood out. Fixed. 2. After exiting a campaign game, if another is continued before exiting the program, some campaign data, such as the number and types of kills for the scenario, are not completely cleared. Fixed. 3. Campaign generator bugs concerning minor countries have been fixed. 4. For certain hardware configurations, the Mega Campaign was not functioning properly. Fixed. CHANGES: 1. Speeds displayed for units now better reflect the speed at which the unit is traveling. Note that although infantry speeds may seem to be calculated differently than vehicle speeds, infantry moves differently within a hex, not in the linear vehicular fashion, but tend to zigzag as they search for micro-terrain. 2. Small maps are now generated for battles in the Long WW II Campaign for core forces plus support forces totaling less than 3000 points. Maps for core forces plus support forces less than 1500 points should be small, even more often. 3. In campaigns, the computer opponent now receives purchase points only for the support forces actually purchased by the player, as opposed to the points made available to the player for support force purchasing. So, purchasing fewer support forces will now reduce the points available to the computer opponent. 4. Two player hot seat and play by email capability has been added to the Long WWII Campaign. Player number one is prompted to select the player type for player two, human or computer, each time the game is loaded. By selecting human for player two, the game becomes a two player game and each player is shown a save screen at the end of each turn. Simply save and send the files, stored in the save directory, to the other player. Player two, when played by a human, allows the player to purchase and deploy forces. Not designed for league play, the two player campaign is not secure. 5. Two player TCP/IP play capability has also been added for the Long WWII Campaign. 6. Two player hot seat and play by email capability has been added to the User Defined Campaigns (such as the ones released by Matrix Games or created by end users, using the campaign editor). Player number one is prompted to select the player type for player two, human or computer, each time the game is loaded. By selecting human for player two, the game becomes a two player game and each player is shown a save screen at the end of each turn. Simply save and send the files, stored in the save directory, to the other player. Player two, when played by a human, is not allowed to purchase or deploy forces, this having already been done by the campaign scenario author. Not designed for league play, the two player campaign is not secure. 7. Two player TCP/IP play capability has also been added for the User Defined Campaigns. 8. Two player hot seat and play by email capability has been added to the Mega Campaigns. Player number one is prompted to select the player type for player two, human or computer, each time the game is loaded. By selecting human for player two, the game becomes a two player game and each player is shown a save screen at the end of each turn. Simply save and send the files, stored in the Mega Campaign save directory, to the other player. Neither player one or player two, when played by a human, are not allowed to purchase or deploy forces, this having already been done by the campaign scenario author. Not designed for league play, the two player campaign is not secure. 9. Two player TCP/IP play capability has also been added for the Mega Campaign. 10. The Mega Campaign player may now permanently rename leaders. 11. Computer opponent aircraft purchasing has been recoded. The computer opponent should now purchase aircraft in very small battles less often, than before. 12. Purchasing routines have been further refined. 13. Fixed rafts with no passengers "flying around." 14. Fixed Barges "regrowing" in Barge Carriers after saving and restarting game. 15. Improved AI routines for combat and game tactics. 16. Major update to all OOB's

Post #: 1
- 12/12/2001 9:33:00 AM   
Anthony_MatrixForum

Downloaded in 55 secs :-), starting playing and its all looking nice so far..... Now to try the MegaCampaign, I have not wanted to start it until the problems were fixed....... Is there any way to find out what the changes to the OOBs involved ? Thanks a lot for all the effort and persistance Anthony

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
- 12/12/2001 9:39:00 AM   
hnh3_sp

Will the full download have the stereo sound update built in?

Post #: 3
- 12/12/2001 9:43:00 AM   
Hikertrash

The Download was a piece of cake, less than a minute. My scenarios were not replaced ... the installation wizard said they would be. Is that normal? I'm new to SPWaW, better late than never ... and the best SPWaW to boot. Thanks Matrix team and everyone who contributes to this great hobby.

Post #: 4
- 12/12/2001 9:46:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Yes teh full download will have teh latest sounds. The big thing in teh OOBs was a re-weighting of the "spreadsheet form hell" and running a recomputation of all the point values. I think they are much improved over the v5/6 numbers. There is also a hashing of armor values for armor quality based on thickness for each major country. German armor is now weighted for its high quality in the mid range (50-75mm) while all thick armors (>105mm) tends to be discounted because of quality problems with armor that thick. (or did I do that in version 6.1 - I forget now its been so long ) In any event the new armor values are now used in the point value routines... There are still a few I have been informed got by me this time...as I've said before, if folks want to make mods and submit revised OOBs I'm sure they can be posted on the fan sights or our ftp.

Post #: 5
- 12/12/2001 9:48:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

That must be a glitch copied over from the full download, we do not have any new or revised scenarios this time. CHeck Wild Bill & the Raiders over on www.militarygameronline.com for a monthly dose of new and revised scenarios!

Post #: 6
- 12/12/2001 10:09:00 AM   
Supervisor

Downloaded in seconds without a hitch, looking forward to trying it out during some of my well deserved time off. I can't wait to see all the beta testing we did actually take final form. A quick question about the upcoming MegaCampaigns: Has an installation routine been developed where only the MC data can be imported into existing SPWAW as to not overwrite everything within the directories everytime a new MC is installed. My apologies if this has already been addressed recently as I have been deployed for ENDURING FREEDOM for the past 3 months.

Post #: 7
- 12/12/2001 10:13:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Each MC installs to a folder inside the MegaCampaign Folder, sort of like the exisitng Campaigns. You should get a choice on installing the whole game, or just the MC, though LV may be a little bit different (its so HUGE...)

Post #: 8
- 12/12/2001 10:23:00 AM   
Supervisor

Thanks for the immediate responce Paul, I can't wait.

Post #: 9
- 12/12/2001 10:25:00 AM   
troopie

I downloaded it using getright. First it gave me 1.9megs, then it downloaded a 9+meg file. I tried to unzip it and got the following message. "Bad CRCf1c10a5. Should be 70c7ffp" Bad CRC in the Winzip message. What IS going on here? troopie

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 10
- 12/12/2001 10:34:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Don't know where the 9+ MB file came from... That means your download is corrupt. I just downloaded and checked the file and the file is good. Just Download it again. IT should just be the 1.9 MB file. [ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

Post #: 11
- 12/12/2001 10:37:00 AM   
Fabio Prado

Just a reminder for my fellow SPWAW gamers:
I am mirroring the SPWAW v7.0 Update and you can download from The ARMOR Site! http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_news.htm And http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_downloads.htm Happy Holidays! Fab

Post #: 12
- 12/12/2001 11:49:00 AM   
Jackk

Thank you very much Fabs!

Jackk "Smile today cuz tomorrow may really suck"

Post #: 13
- 12/12/2001 12:00:00 PM   
Warrior

Any superlatives I could use to describe v7 would be understatements.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 14
- 12/12/2001 12:20:00 PM   
tracer

I have 4 PBEM games 'in progress'; will upgrading to v7 affect these (assuming all opponents also upgrade to v7)?

Jim NSB

Post #: 15
- 12/12/2001 12:22:00 PM   
brianleeprice

Congrats to all at Matrix, looks good Now to start the campaign I've been waiting to play. One note, if you have a beta v7 mech.exe, either replace it with your old v6.1 mech.exe or reinstall everything. At least, that's what I had to do - the upgrade didn't want to work with my config. Worked great after reinstalling MC:NA, upgrading to 6.1 and then going to 7 Thanks all,
Brian

Post #: 16
- 12/12/2001 12:23:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

The worst case will be a "security violation" message, which you can ignore and continue. Using the new OOBs may lead to crashes if you have units bought with the old OOBs and suddenly switch in the middle to the new OOBs, but using the new mech.exe should work fine.

Post #: 17
- 12/12/2001 12:27:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

This will be a short post... FAAAAAAAARRRRRRR OOOOOOOOUUUUUTTTTT MAAAAAAANN!!! 20 seconds, just 20 seconds to download. Unistalled and treated myself to a clean shiny new install right up to 7.0 No hitches no troubles. Just played Whittmans Gamble (actually got my best score yet). Only thing to do now it find a way to locate money for Combat Leader (maybe the tool demo I am doing at Canadian Tire this week hmmmm). Win XP and Steel Panthers, what else does a computer need after that eh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 18
- 12/12/2001 2:10:00 PM   
Randy

I haven't down loaded yet since I'll wait for the disk (that way I know I'll get it right),
but I'm sure it will be as great as usual! Thanks for the Christmas present Team Matrix!!

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 19
- 12/12/2001 8:32:00 PM   
troopie

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber:
Don't know where the 9+ MB file came from... That means your download is corrupt. I just downloaded and checked the file and the file is good. Just Download it again. IT should just be the 1.9 MB file. [ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

I downloaded it again without using Getright. I got just the 1.9 megs and it installed without trouble. Haven't had time to play it yet. troopie

Pamwe Chete

Post #: 20
- 12/12/2001 9:11:00 PM   
Resisti

Paul V.,
as 7.0 is including a major oob's review, will the scenarios designed with previous versions be affected somehow?
I'm interested most of all to know abt 6.1. Thanks.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

Post #: 21
- 12/12/2001 9:55:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

We have not had time to test every one of teh hundreds of scnarios, so to be honest i don;t know. A few things have come up with naval guns and gliders in some older scenariros that don;t work right anymore. IF you coma across sucha scenario bring it to the attention of the scenario designers out there and I'm sure a fix can be soo made available. I know teh D-Day scenarios need a look...the new Naval guns in v6 broke some of them.

Post #: 22
- 12/12/2001 11:15:00 PM   
Larry Holt

A couple of observations. I downloaded the upgrade patch without problem. When I installed it I browsed to my non-standard install directory without any problem and without the extra "Steel Panthers World at War" directory. When I installed it I got an error message about not having the minimum 48M of RAM (this is on a notbook with 32MB). When I initially installed the game it did not run for lack of RAM. I am running Win2000 so I set the paging file size (in control panel, system, performance, advanced tabs)to 128 and the game runs fine.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 23
- 12/12/2001 11:22:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

The install now warns you if you don't have sound or 48MB RAM, but installs anyway. Teh memory restriction can be a problemin larger scenarios and can slow the game down as it thrashes virutual memory on your HD (leading to SLOW-MO shots and unit movement. Thanks for the info Larry!! That extra folder bug is a bizzare one! [ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: Paul Vebber ]

Post #: 24
- 12/13/2001 1:03:00 AM   
Gen.Urquhart

YES,yes,yes,yes!!!!!!!!
can't wait to finish these damned university examinations to download it with my brand new pc!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys,as always!

Post #: 25
- 12/13/2001 1:49:00 AM   
Redleg

Some scenarios from "olden days" will not work properly. Partly due to OOB changes and partly due to changes in how the firing/hitting routines work (changes the balance). Some older scenarios pretty play the same. I have been busy playing older scenarios to see the outcome (takes time) and re-doing and testing them as required (takes even more time) to make them work in V7. So far, I have updated perhaps 7-8 of them. The most common things I find in updating are strange weapons assigned to units and balance changes. What I find seems to be related to the particular version used to create the scenario. V5 scens seem to be V7 friendly except more OOB changes have occurred. V6 scens seem to be OOB friendly but more likely to be out of balance. Of course, the type of units used in the scenario make a *lot* of difference. Some OOBs were not changed much at all. Others changed a lot. I have not seen any trouble with maps, v-hexes, objectives, way-points, etc while doing this work. If it is a large scenario, it takes a *lot* of time and effort to systematically play the battle looking for anomolies. It is almost easier in some cases to do the darn thing over. I encountered one like that yesterday. It is hard to know what is wrong and what it will take to fix it. Since it is large, I decided to re-do it from the start.

Post #: 26
- 12/13/2001 3:06:00 AM   
richmonder

WHAT OOBs have been altered, or not altered? I have successfully installed the patch, but I checked my German OOB and it has not been altered as I can see. Checking in the SPWaW directory, all OOBs now show a modified date of Nov 29th, but my German shows Dec 11th (I had altered a few hours before installing the patch) and my Norway OOB says Dec 2nd. Have all OOB's been altered? Would it NOT alter my German or Norway OOBs if they were not standard?
EDIT NOTE: reinstalled v6.1 OOBs, reinstalled v7.0 patch and now all OOBs show a mod date of Nov 29th. Apparently, the patch doesn't touch altered OOBs. PATCH v7.0 [aloud to SPWaW forum]: Altered OOBs?!? We don't need no stinkin' altered OOBs!!! [ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: richmonder ]

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 27
- 12/13/2001 7:03:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by richmonder:
WHAT OOBs have been altered, or not altered? I have successfully installed the patch, but I checked my German OOB and it has not been altered as I can see. Checking in the SPWaW directory, all OOBs now show a modified date of Nov 29th, but my German shows Dec 11th (I had altered a few hours before installing the patch) and my Norway OOB says Dec 2nd. Have all OOB's been altered? Would it NOT alter my German or Norway OOBs if they were not standard?
EDIT NOTE: reinstalled v6.1 OOBs, reinstalled v7.0 patch and now all OOBs show a mod date of Nov 29th. Apparently, the patch doesn't touch altered OOBs. PATCH v7.0 [aloud to SPWaW forum]: Altered OOBs?!? We don't need no stinkin' altered OOBs!!! [ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: richmonder ]

Noticed now there are SS inf AT units, also noticed 2 AT gun sections, look identical, so I know some things in german oobs have been changed.

Post #: 28
- 12/13/2001 7:10:00 AM   
richmonder

I think they've all been changed. A run through the encyclopedia will tell you that. Take a look at the cost of ammo dumps and ammo carriers. UP! That's great, though. Also I see more reliance on horse teams for gun transport now. Take a look at a platoon of Opels. WHEW! It is *kewl*, but takes some time to adjust to.. My question was based on mod dates shown in the directory and because it didn't affect my altered GER and NOR OOBs. But all is well.

Respectfully,
Richmonder
(formerly Gen. Richmond)

Post #: 29
- 12/13/2001 8:38:00 PM   
Halgary

Excellent game is now even better! I like especially the new OOBs. btw. Is it just my computer, or does anyone else have trouble loading "WWII Campaign" saved games? I mean those that you save right after you win a battle. Game seems to hang up every time. In-game saves work fine.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Steel Panthers World At War v7.0 Released and What Do You Think Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI