Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

issues with installing v7.0 update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> issues with installing v7.0 update Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
issues with installing v7.0 update - 12/12/2001 9:41:00 PM   
willmontgomery

I downloaded and installed the v6.1->v7.0 update, and everything appeared to go off without a hitch. But when I start up the game, the version number displayed is still v6.1. Furthermore, the update appeared to liberally sprinkle oobXX files into the main "Steel Panthers World at War" folder rather than placing them into the "OOB" subfolder. Is this normal, or was there a problem with my installation?

"C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre."
Post #: 1
- 12/12/2001 9:44:00 PM   
Hikertrash

Sounds like a problem to me, but I'm no expert. Not at all like my upgrade from 6.1 to 7.0. My version number changed and the OOB files stayed where they belong. You might try reinstalling from verion 5.1 onward. Hope you still have the installation files.

(in reply to willmontgomery)
Post #: 2
- 12/12/2001 9:59:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

This has been a problem with all our patches, I thought we had it fixed, but apparently not. See My post IMPORTANT PATCH INSTALLAION INSTRUCTIONS...

Post #: 3
- 12/12/2001 10:04:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

The most important detail I have noticed with installing any update into Steel Panthers is definitely this. DO NOT alter in anyway where the files decide THEY want to go. I am fortunate, I have all the files burned to a cd. Hopefully everyone has at least thought to do this when possible.
Failing that, try to preserve the files as they download in a folder separate of the common clutter on your computer. Again assuming you have the space on your hard drive.
It pays massive dividends in doing this if you can. When I install Steel Panthers (any version) I always send the files to a common folder. The files you download will have to be unpacked into the files that actually do the installing (what you download will get bigger eh). When you have all the files unpacked into yet another common folder (tidiness is its own virtue) you will have the beginning.
DO NOT assume it will be ok to make your own folder on the hard drive and call it Steel Panthers or whatever hits your fancy. While this may indeed be possible, I have yet to accomplish it myself (and its likely the trouble with most users). Once you have all the files unpacked you are ready to go. Just for the sake of everyone knowing, I went and installed 5.1, then 5.2 update, then 5.3, 6.0, 6.1 and finally 7.0 all one after the other.
I didn't perform any discretionary functions at all. I did not send the files to my normal larger hard drive partition like all other files. I placed it on C like it planned on doing. I click yes and/or ok to each and every prompt and let it do all the thinking. It went where it WANTED to go, and that works fine with me.
After each install it rebooted my computer. Took me maybe hmmmm 30 minutes at most (maybe shorter, heck I was to amused to be watching the clock really) on my 800 celeron 256 meg Ram Win XP Pro operating system to go from start to end. A clean install works better every time. Of course I dont play e games (not because I dont like them, I have just never been so lucky). I can sympathise with players that have games in process. But to date, when its time to update, I update. POOF Steel Panthers gets uninstalled and cleanly re installed. I have to date never once experienced any trouble running Steel Panthers on any computer while doing it this way. Hope everyone enjoys getting 7.0 as easily as I did.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 4
- 12/13/2001 2:02:00 PM   
willmontgomery

Paul, Nested folders is not my problem. I didn't Browse, and I don't have a second SPWaW folder inside my regular one. Although I see what you mean, because when I tried again to install after I read your message, I did Browse just to see what would happen, and I saw the duplication in the path name, so I removed the duplication, and my version number still reads v.6.1. Les, I didn't change any of the defaults. Apparently (from another message I read here) I should expect the oobXX files in my main SPWaW folder. Interestingly, they have a date/time from my first installation attempt and not from my second attempt. But my version number is still v6.1.

"C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre."

Post #: 5
- 12/13/2001 8:16:00 PM   
Tommy

Will, I read your last post; since the most likely cause remains a folder mix up - try this. Search your hard drive for "mech.exe". If you find more than one - you can confirm that this is your problem. The newest dated one would be the 7.0 version, that needs to be moved into the folder containing the mech 6.1 that you are actually running. [check your shortcut to see were you actually are going] The rest of the 7.0 files probably reside in the wayward mech.exe 7.0 folder. The fool proof way of course is to uninstall & delete all of the mixed up folders and reload 5.x, upgrade to 6.X then to 7.X. And take all of the default choices. BTW, save your current /save folder if you are in the middle of a game, but erase the steel.prf file. Tommy

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> issues with installing v7.0 update Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI