Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Damage?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Damage? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Damage? - 6/9/2004 7:54:43 PM   
Mangudai

Would someone please explain the different types of vehicle damage. I'm especially curious about hull damage. THX
Post #: 1
RE: Damage? - 6/9/2004 11:11:50 PM   
Losqualo

AFAIK every vehicle has some "vital" parts assigned to either hull or turret. Every time you get a hit to that vehicle, damage is checked, and one or more of those parts may stop working (The stars listed are the number of parts tht get destroyed.
But I hope some pro may explain that a bit further.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 2
RE: Damage? - 6/10/2004 12:22:01 AM   
Belisarius

I'm not in to deep in the knowledge here either, but Losqualo's explanation is good. If the tank is hit, the pen vs. armor thickness (and angles, and velocity and aaalllll that you know) is checked to see if it's a penetrating hit. If so, it will check for damage on systems like suspension, tracks, hull, engine, main guns, radio, mg's, tool boxes, paint....

You can also have, in case the pen value is FAR greater than the armor thickness with AP rounds, the shot can go straight through without causing damage. I don't know if that still is a "1" hull damage.

Do a combat log and check.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Losqualo)
Post #: 3
RE: Damage? - 6/10/2004 12:54:07 AM   
Losqualo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Belisarius

I'm not in to deep in the knowledge here either, but Losqualo's explanation is good. If the tank is hit, the pen vs. armor thickness (and angles, and velocity and aaalllll that you know) is checked to see if it's a penetrating hit. If so, it will check for damage on systems like suspension, tracks, hull, engine, main guns, radio, mg's, tool boxes, paint....

You can also have, in case the pen value is FAR greater than the armor thickness with AP rounds, the shot can go straight through without causing damage. I don't know if that still is a "1" hull damage.

Do a combat log and check.

Thanks Bel.

"systems" was the word I was looking for while mentioning "vital parts".

(in reply to Belisarius)
Post #: 4
RE: Damage? - 6/11/2004 9:11:57 AM   
Mangudai

What I really want to know is whether hull damage makes the tank more vulnerable to future shots, or does it just damage the paint?

Also, it seems that turret damage always knocks out the main gun, even for turretless vehicles like PzJ. I find that odd.

(in reply to Losqualo)
Post #: 5
RE: Damage? - 6/12/2004 7:11:25 PM   
Capt. Pixel

I think 'turret' is just shorthand for superstructure.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 6
RE: Damage? - 6/13/2004 6:37:34 AM   
Procrustes

I've been curious about this, too. From what I can see, "hull damage" gives you a few damage points and a bunch of supression but doesn't really hurt your AVF's functionality. I've always assumed that they are now more fragile, but I've occasionally had units take "hull damage" more than once in the same game and keep running.

I enjoy all the damage and breakdown stuff in the game - adds a great element of suprise. "Turret damage" is my least fave - even halftracks are susectible (their MG's stop working).

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Damage? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI