Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ki-84

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Ki-84 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 10:36:23 PM   
mdiehl

edit

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 6/11/2004 8:36:47 PM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 121
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 10:57:21 PM   
Lemurs!

Mdiehl,

Everything is all or nothing with you isn't it?
30mm cannons on F16's? You want me to take you seriously but you spout nonsense.

The reason i brought a Cessna into this is that i was not sure of my conclusions back in the days of BTR. So, I went to Oakland-Pontiac airfield and chatted with some of my pilot friends, mechanics etc.
We decided that no, higher octane fuel would not help, and would eventually hurt a plane not meant for it. Then we tested our theory. We were correct. 103 octane in a Piper led to similar performance and left unburnt fuel in the intake. Which, as your mechanic might tell you will lead to various future problems, one of the most basic being clogged intakes.

I am sorry if we were all totally wrong. Please forgive me.

On sources.... I am not allowed to have an opinion on a book or author unless i am an author as well? That is a new rule, never heard that one. I won't go into what i have published.
If you don't know what NARA is just ask, its not a problem. The Far East Theater Interrogations after the war also included translation of everything the translators could get their hands on.
Virtually every post war work is based at least partially on the -THINTS.

quote:

That was rather non-sequitur. Again, you're the one who brought the Cessna into this, and you're the one who says it runs poorly on 87 octane. A claim I won't dispute. What you have not demonstrated is any real knowledge of how octane affects engine performance. The reason why high octane does not (much) impair the efficiency of an engine designed for low octane is that the primary cause of reduced efficiency in that particular circumstance is trace quantities of uncombusted fuel. That does not produce knock, it just produces and inefficent use of fuel. If you put 87 octane, however, in an engined designed for higher octane, you get knock because of premature combustion. Getting back to your orginal assertion, it does not follow that putting 100 octane (or even 103) in an engine designed for, say, 93 octane, is necessarily going to reduce performance by much. I heard it said that if you put 100 Octane in an automobile (Sunoco used to sell 100 Octane, which I used to put in my Saab many years ago because it was designed for leaded gas), you can lose fuel economy by up to 3%. I am not sure how that translates into lost RPMs, but assuming a 1:1 correlation, and a/c capable of, say, 420 mph designed for, say, 87 octane (no such aircraft engine was ever made) might in theory be capable of 3% greater speed... say 432.6 mph. But I don't know, maybe someone with a little more information and a little less bluster than yourself can speak to the issue.
quote:

So now you are admitting a US test of the Ki-84 post war with 100 octane fuel would get worse performance? But where did the 37mph come from then?

The test i attended, including F2's & F16's, i was told was planned by an American Air Force officer to show the limitations of the high altitude, high speed, all missles, ignore your guns attitude was limiting the AirForce. So it was deliberate that the F16's only used missles.

quote:

Um, HOW, exactly, do you imagine that the Ha-21-25 series developed 1900 HP without using higher compression? IIRC, the Japanese effective late war octane for SOME fuels produced via hydrogenation was something like 93-97 octane, but there were problems with quantitityand purity. Are you claiming that the Ha-21 was operating at the same compression ratios as, say, the engine in the A6M2?
quote:

This is what gets me, you seem to be fairly intelligent and then you make a comment like this. Of course the Ha-21 had a higher compression than the Sakae(?) in the early Zero. That does not mean the Ha-21 was up to the compression standards of the American engines. There is not just 2 compression choices, low & high.

Absolutely all of this is besides the point though.
We started on speed of the Ki-84. You have now admitted that 100 octane fuel would not give 37mph.

What i wanted was an intelligent discussion about my logic chain.
Known quantity: 1st proto 388mph armed.
Known quantity: 4th proto 392mph armed.
Known quantity: residual thrust augmentation added, pre production aircraft gain 9-10mph over prototypes. No actual speed given. My educated assumption is 401-402
Known quantity: engine on the prot developed 1770hp
Known quantity: engine on pre production developed 1800hp
Known quantity: engine on the MOST built Ki-84 developed 1990hp
Unknown quantity: actual air speed loaded of the production
Ki-84.

What we do know is i read in one paragraph at NARA that the Ki-84-2 flew at 20K feet 415mph. And the Japanese designers felt the plane would lose 5mph for the added weight of a wooden tail.

Francillon, Gustin, Donaldson, et al list one speed; 392mph.
That seems to be a prototype speed.
Before you all call me a liar again, many Japanese documents were destroyed in the '44 earthquake and in the fire bombing.
There are many things we just don't have documentary evidence for anylonger.

Known quantity: An American after the war flew a Ki-84 at 427mph
Altitude, unknown, armament unknown.

My feeling is that the production Ki-84-1b with the type 21 flew loaded at 20k feel at about 415mph. Maybe a bit less, maybe a hair more.

I am done with octane and fighting with you.

Mike

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 122
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 11:03:58 PM   
Lemurs!

Nik,

I have the same amount of proof you have on the 60kg bombs.

Yours is that they were not reported by the allies in 3 carrier battles. Mine is that in the Japanese carrier operations manual they are listed as standard.
We are not going to convince each other so quit posting.

You are a very unpleasant person, i do not know what your problem is with my posts.

About you calling me a liar, i did post the quote a couple of posts back but you, as usual, failed to read my post.

Go away. You and Frag seem to like being unpleasant to people that don't worship you so go play with him.

Mike

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 123
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 11:08:43 PM   
Arnir

I have to second the earlier poster who said that there was a lot of good info in this thread but it is being lost in the noise.

What happened to simple civility?

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 124
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 11:18:10 PM   
Zeta16

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lemurs!

Nik,

Yours is that they were not reported by the allies in 3 carrier battles. Mine is that in the Japanese carrier operations manual they are listed as standard.

You are a very unpleasant person, i do not know what your problem is with my posts.

About you calling me a liar, i did post the quote a couple of posts back but you, as usual, failed to read my post.

Go away. You and Frag seem to like being unpleasant to people that don't worship you so go play with him.

Mike

I think you are the one causing problems, really what is your point. The Val bomb load has been talked about months ago on this site, and you come in a few days before it goes gold and start calling people names. In reading this everyday, Frag and Nik do not put people down, but you are just causing trouble.

< Message edited by Zeta16 -- 6/11/2004 4:26:52 PM >

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 125
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 11:24:58 PM   
Mr.Frag

Mike, not sure what got you so uppity but you have managed to get mdiehl, nik and me all in the dumps. You have to wonder when three people who never agree with each other on anything all seem to have the very same problem with you. Perhaps it is not us. There is nothing wrong with debating stuff, but your method seems to bring out the fangs in people. As long as you persist in directing personal animosity at people, you will get it back.

As far as your "go away" comment, grow up. This is a public forum run by Matrix with many users who rarely agree on things but generally keep things civil in their disagreement and we generally stick the odd bit of humor or sarcasm into posts.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 126
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 11:35:05 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

Nik,

No, i dont think so. You say you have a "manual", thats fine. You also can 'google' search which shows what everyone already knew....that the plane could carry 60kg's.

What I "have" is multiple sources that analysis Japanese carrier development and doctrine, and cover the operational history of the KB and it's Aichi's, and a culmination of data on bomb hits on warships by type and their effect. I feel it's pretty compelling evidence but you dont have to take my word for it. You can read them yourselves. I was not meerly interested however is beating my drum.....i am genuinely interested in this issue, thats why I asked you if you could offer what has not been able to be provided before this point......positive proof that the 3 bomb load was used all the time as a standard loadout for naval attack. Your responses and evasions are there for all to see. Your "manual" is not sufficient proof any more than the listed loadout of the plane is. Noone ever disputed that the plane couldn't load 3 bombs. I can even accept that perhaps it was once intended before the war to use this loadout and there is sufficient evidence that 60's were used for land based targets. However the question remains....was it done for naval attack during the war? Given the lack of evidence of usage and the eyewitness evidence of it's absence during the major battles, i'd say it wasn't. You can disagree if you like.

quote:

When you become the owner of this board, you can certainly tell me when and where i can post and where and when i cannot. Until that time however... And i'm not restricting myself to 3 carrier battles. I'm saying ALL major naval battles including the big four carrier battles and Pearl Harbor.

quote:

I'm sorry you feel that way. The only problems i have with your posts is when you answer my querries with a querry of your own instead or go completely evasive. I wont even mention your comments about my state of existance or ability to read.

quote:

I read it. I checked my posts, I dont see where i called you a liar. Thats why i asked for clarification.
quote:

Again with the commands....was your name "TristianJohn" prior to your recent registration? You are starting to sound very familiar. I've been trying to play Frag but he avoids me....he knows that he will DIE HORRIBLY once he deems to take me on in WitP
]

< Message edited by Nikademus -- 6/11/2004 9:38:42 PM >

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 127
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 11:44:48 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

I've been trying to play Frag but he avoids me....he knows that he will DIE HORRIBLY once he deems to take me on in WitP

Yep, Go Away so I don't have to loose

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 128
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 11:54:38 PM   
Nikademus

Terrible pain awaits you.....and all you'll have for comfort is bad yucky Canadian beer.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 129
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 11:58:52 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

30mm cannons on F16's? You want me to take you seriously but you spout nonsense.

Pardon my typo. 20mm.

quote:

I am sorry if we were all totally wrong. Please forgive me.

Not "we," Ace, just you.

quote:

On sources.... I am not allowed to have an opinion on a book or author unless i am an author as well? That is a new rule, never heard that one. I won't go into what i have published.

It's called credibility. When you diss a peer-reviewed source you either have the adacemic cache (generally established by your own publication record on the subject) or you don't. But if you don't, the egg winds up on your face not on the target of your scorn. I'm curious, however, what HAVE you published? Again, since you use an internet alias, there's no way for me to know. If you are the magnificent expert that you claim to be, that I ought to believe YOU and not a guy who's published a number of books, then toot yer horn bubba. Let's have it. Why should I believe you over Donald? Why is your dismissal of a book he edited as "amateur" anything other than a smear?

quote:

If you don't know what NARA is just ask, its not a problem. The Far East Theater Interrogations after the war also included translation of everything the translators could get their hands on.

And, to reiterate, an interrogation transcript in which a Japanese engineer says orally or on paper that "once we had a Ki-84 go 430 mph" [or whatever] has almost no utility for me as an empirical fact. There's data and hearsay, and the two aren't the same quality of information.

quote:

So now you are admitting a US test of the Ki-84 post war with 100 octane fuel would get worse performance? But where did the 37mph come from then?

No, I'm saying that if the Ki-84 was designed for 87 octane and you fed it 100-103 octane you *might* get reduced efficiency on the order of 3%. As to where I got the number, I took 420 mph (which is more or less the post-war US maximum sustained speed of a Ki-84 flown by a US pilot), and multiplied it by 1.03 (to cover the fact that the 420 might not be the best speed of the a/c if the fuel mixture adversely affected performance). I do not, however, accept at face value any implication that the US fuel used in the post-war flight tests resulted in reduced efficiency, since just about every source on this matter attributes the post-war test speeds of the Ki-84 vis a vis the operational speeds of the Ki-84 to "better" US fuel.

quote:

The test i attended, including F2's & F16's, i was told was planned by an American Air Force officer to show the limitations of the high altitude, high speed, all missles, ignore your guns attitude was limiting the AirForce. So it was deliberate that the F16's only used missles.

Whose air force? The USAF flies with a mixed package armament that includes guns and missiles. This was the lesson learned in the early days of Viet Nam in which, IIRR, some US fighters were missile-only equipped. More to the point, since as you say the test was specifically a demonstration of how the LACK OF GUNS hurts a modern jet fighter in combat, there is darned near NOTHING about the test that serves as an analog for WW2 combat, because WW2 air to air combat was GUNS ONLY. In a gun-only circumstance, the aircraft that can go faster will control the fight in most circumstances and it will win in most circumstances.

quote:

This is what gets me, you seem to be fairly intelligent and then you make a comment like this. Of course the Ha-21 had a higher compression than the Sakae(?) in the early Zero. That does not mean the Ha-21 was up to the compression standards of the American engines. There is not just 2 compression choices, low & high.

Well, the HA-21 hasn't got appreciably more pistons than comparable US engines and it's a lighter engine. So, absent greater displacement (more pistons or bigger pistons), the only way the HA-21 is going to develop power output to rival US radial engines is by using comparable compression ratios. But, as I said, if you can establish that the Ha-21 did not use comparably high compression but, instead, used Miracle Max's Marvelous Oil or whatever to get higher output, I'm listening.

quote:

You have now admitted that 100 octane fuel would not give 37mph.

It might. It depends on the compression ratios used by the Ha-21. If the Ha-21 was designed for better fuel (for whatever reason) than the Japanese could produce in 1944-1945 then it might indeed develop an extra 37 mph just by using US fuel.

quote:

Known quantity: residual thrust augmentation added, pre production aircraft gain 9-10mph over prototypes.

You mean the individual exaust stack configuration, to put it into plain language.

quote:

My educated assumption is 401-402 ... Unknown quantity: actual air speed loaded of the production Ki-84.

NOT unknown. You just don't believe the 388-392 range that just about everybody uses as the actual operational max w.e.p. speed of a prodcution Ki-84 in combat.

quote:

What we do know is i read in one paragraph at NARA that the Ki-84-2 flew at 20K feet 415mph. And the Japanese designers felt the plane would lose 5mph for the added weight of a wooden tail.

AND, to be clear, I do NOT believe what you read. It's hearsay, even if it is in NARA. I'll take the 388-392 mph figure that about everybody uses, and I'll accept at face value the claim that the US post-war tests of the Ki-84 resulted in greater speeds because US fuel was better.

quote:

Francillon, Gustin, Donaldson, et al list one speed; 392mph. That seems to be a prototype speed.

Why assume this is a "prototype speed" given that ....

quote:

Before you all call me a liar again, many Japanese documents were destroyed in the '44 earthquake and in the fire bombing.

... as you have noted, there is no credible data from the Japanese sources other than a "one-off" anecdote in NARA? One quip is not a substantive basis for rewriting the history of the aircraft, much less for positing a whole fleet of "production" a.c. that peformed better than most people claim?

quote:

There are many things we just don't have documentary evidence for anylonger.

I agree. Maybe it helps you to understand my take on this: if you have a set of data that says "the value of felgercarb is X" and one hint, elsewhere, that says "the value of felgercarb is X+40," it does not follow that "X+40 is the correct value because we have no other data, other than the data that we have, that allow us to determine that felgercarb is NOT X+40." The bulk of the empirical evidence available indicates that the Ki-84 topped out at 388-392 mph as deployed by the Japanese. That works for me.

quote:

Known quantity: An American after the war flew a Ki-84 at 427mph. Altitude, unknown, armament unknown.

I can fill in some of that for you. Altitude 20,000 feet.

quote:

My feeling is that the production Ki-84-1b with the type 21 flew loaded at 20k feel at about 415mph. Maybe a bit less, maybe a hair more.

It is a "feeling." You're entitled to it. I see no emprical reason to believe it. At least not on the basis of anything that you have said here or that I have read elsewhere.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 130
RE: Ki-84 - 6/11/2004 11:59:52 PM   
Mr.Frag

So which side to you want to play you wuss?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 131
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:07:49 AM   
Lemurs!

Okay, Mr Frag, Nik & Zeta,

I am also down in the dumps because Frag & Nik jumped into a conversation and started insulting me.

Nik, When you said " All you've stated, is that you have read an alleged Japanese "manual" which allegedly states that the Val always attacks naval targets with the 3 bomb loadout. We have only your "word" for this. This is not "factual" evidence "

I took that as a personal attack; I couldn't figure out why as you and i had seemed to be having a good discussion. It sounded like you were calling me a liar.

I still feel that you have not proved there were not 60kg bombs on Vals. But, i can not prove they were there either. Why you are in such a dither because i will not bow before your will is beyond me. You are the one who continues this pointless debate ad nauseum and accuses me of lying.
But it just doesn't matter!

Zeta16,
Where do you get off? All i did is make a joking reference to the earlier fight over the 60kg bombs. I said i was going to put them in my scenario. That was the end of my discussion on it until Nikodemus called me a liar!
I made it very clear i was not trying to change anything in the released game.
So why are you now putting words into my mouth? So Zeta, why are you here causing trouble with your post?

Is that any more insulting than what you said to me?

Nik,
The go away was not a command, it was a request because you keep beating the same dog and insult me and call me a liar. Why would i not want to talk with you?
I have not in any way shape or form been evasive! I have my opinion backed by a couple of things, you have yours...fine.
Where was i evasive?

quote:

No, i dont think so. You say you have a "manual", thats fine. You also can 'google' search which shows what everyone already knew....that the plane could carry 60kg's.
quote:

There, you just called me a liar again! You like insinuating because then you cannot get in trouble for insulting people.
Grow up child.

Mr Frag,
did you notice that on another topic the poster felt you were insulting? Do you think that should be telling you something?
Do you think you could apologize for being rude?
Or does this board not welcome new people or people with different ideas than the gospel according to Frag & Nik?

Mike

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 132
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:07:55 AM   
mdiehl

Hey Frag, Let's Hijack This Thread.

I say the B-17E and mighty mouse COULD take a Betty and UltraMan! What say you?

Suddenly I feel all this kinship with you and Nik.

You guys ever play ASL? I've been kicking ass in CCPh with some Japanese 4-4-8s in dense jungle, but every time I dice an MMG shot I break the d@mned MGs. It's those B11 breakdown numbers and my talentless dice rolling. AArgh!

Not that I can complain much. I dice up a Tank Hunter Hero during a US MPh, survived first and final fire next to a stack of US 1942 Phillippine 1st line squads (3 squads and a 9-1 leader no less), and then killed a 75mm armed US halftrack in the CCPh THH resolution (and this lacking an ATMM).

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 6/11/2004 10:12:23 PM >

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 133
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:13:56 AM   
Zeta16

You just don't get it. These boards are very civil and people respect each other even if they disagree. You come in here and start causing trouble, they people that you told to go away never cause trouble. Every several months there is a poster like this and they last several weeks and wear out their welcome, it's happened before and will happen again. But in the end the same civil people are always here.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 134
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:22:30 AM   
Lemurs!

quote:

quote:

Known quantity: residual thrust augmentation added, pre production aircraft gain 9-10mph over prototypes.

You mean the individual exaust stack configuration, to put it into plain language.

quote:

My educated assumption is 401-402 ... Unknown quantity: actual air speed loaded of the production Ki-84.

NOT unknown. You just don't believe the 388-392 range that just about everybody uses as the actual operational max w.e.p. speed of a prodcution Ki-84 in combat.

quote:

AND, to be clear, I do NOT believe what you read. It's hearsay, even if it is in NARA. I'll take the 388-392 mph figure that about everybody uses, and I'll accept at face value the claim that the US post-war tests of the Ki-84 resulted in greater speeds because US fuel was better.

What makes this so fun is that you talk about 'all of the myriad sources that say the Ki-84 went 392'.
The problem is they did not develop that number out of thin air; most of the post war technical writing came from the -THINTS & translation work.
Yes, every writer says 392 because that is the only figure that survived the war. And it is listed at NARA that 392 was the speed developed by the fourth prototype.

If every writer started telling you over and over that the sun was going to come up in the West tomorrow you would believe them wouldn't you? Use your brain for something!
I gave you all of my ideas and data so we could have a rational discussion. I made it very clear that i do not have a number sety in stone. But all you can do is belittle me, insult me and not even once mention any of the data i listed.

So how do you account for the missing 9-10mph from thrust augmentation? I am NOT being snide! If someone has a theory or some knowledge throw it in. I think that would bring the pre production aircraft up to 401mph or so... but it is not set in stone! I was hoping for ideas but it seems all that you are interestedin is personal attacks.

Mike

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 135
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:23:35 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

It's those B11 breakdown numbers and my talentless dice rolling.

I know that feeling ... my one attempt at getting my wife into war games was Axis and Allies. I threw so many snake eyes in a row i lost the game by turn 2. I will never play anything that has dice again as long as I live!

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 136
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:25:19 AM   
Lemurs!

Zeta,

What trouble did i cause? I didn't agree with Nik? Is that an obscure board rule?
I am putting this in my edited scenario for gods sake!

I get insulted and attacked for that and you come in here and accuse me of causing trouble about an old topic just before the game goes gold!

I think your causing trouble by your comments. So hopefully you will wear out your welcome and leave.

Mike

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 137
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:30:50 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

So how do you account for the missing 9-10mph from thrust augmentation?

"The 388-392 mph max speed is what it is, augmentation included." That's how I account for it.

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 138
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:31:58 AM   
Zeta16

Did I tell you to go away? I am just pointing out people around here disagree about things, but there is no reason to tell people to go away or any of that stuff. This is a war game, not a life or death issue. If I want to see people use attacks on each other I will just go to AOW boards.

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 139
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:37:12 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

I know that feeling ... my one attempt at getting my wife into war games was Axis and Allies. I threw so many snake eyes in a row i lost the game by turn 2. I will never play anything that has dice again as long as I live!

Now you KNOW the dice giveth and they taketh away. One horrid experience just means you need to play more.

As for your wife, it's cool that she was willing to give the game a try. "Robo Rally" is also a good family fun game (and, by the way, "Monsters Ravage America"... one of AH's last titles.)

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 140
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:39:20 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

As for your wife, it's cool that she was willing to give the game a try.

After that I had no choice, she just had to go ... married life was no longer possible.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 141
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:43:23 AM   
Lemurs!

Yes, Zeta you did say that i came in here causing trouble, and that people causing trouble go away after awhile because they are not welcome.
Actually your civil people do start trouble with other people.

I feel oh so welcome here.
Thanks.

I wanted to get intelligent discourse but what i got was arguments and insults.

I feel that i am somewhat to blame, i get frustrated when i put information in front of people and i get no response on that just insults and personal attacks. I am sorry i got snappy yesterday.
I am not sorry about today.

I will go to my various other gaming forums where i am welcome and have friends. I guess i had not believed it when i was told this was an unfriendly board.
I was wrong.

Thanks guys, this was fun.

Mike

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 142
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:48:58 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Nik, When you said " All you've stated, is that you have read an alleged Japanese "manual" which allegedly states that the Val always attacks naval targets with the 3 bomb loadout. We have only your "word" for this. This is not "factual" evidence "

I took that as a personal attack; I couldn't figure out why as you and i had seemed to be having a good discussion. It sounded like you were calling me a liar.

Thats not calling you a liar. Thats pointing out that you have 'alleged' to have read in a Japanese manual that they always loaded their planes in the manner being discussed. I have not personally seen this and i dont know you personally so forgive me if i dont either take your statement as a "documented fact" nor if i consider it the proof being sought since it gives no more credance to the issue than the plane being "able" to have that loadout. Kobe Bryant is "alleged" to have commited rape. If he says he didn't do it and i respond "but you are alleged to have done it", is that calling him a liar too?

A poster once stated that a B-17 could lug a 2000LB bomb therefore it MUST be the default weapon for antiship missions. Not the case in reality nor was the ability of the Fortress to carry such a weapon proof in of itself. The "proof" was in finding that not one documented case ever showed that it attacked warships with such a weapon in the Pacific.

quote:

I still feel that you have not proved there were not 60kg bombs on Vals. But, i can not prove they were there either. Why you are in such a dither because i will not bow before your will is beyond me.

I wasn't asking you to bow to anyone much less me. I asked you to provide wartime proof that the 3 bomb loadout occured for naval attacks....several times. What i got among other commentaries....was you telling me i either had no proof.....that my proof was "ancedotal" (which on this board is considered another term for "worthless"), or that i'd not checked any sources , not to mention my personal favorite....answering my question by turning it around and asking me the same question back.

quote:

Nik,
The go away was not a command, it was a request because you keep beating the same dog and insult me and call me a liar. Why would i not want to talk with you?
I have not in any way shape or form been evasive! I have my opinion backed by a couple of things, you have yours...fine. where was i evasive?

Sure sounded like a command to me. I dont recall beating any dog. I love dogs and would never beat one. I didn't insult you either though i'm sorry if you interpreted it that way. If you weren't being evasive then this thread would be much shorter. You could have simply said "No Nik, i dont have any conclusive wartime evidience of the 1 x 250 + 2 x 60kg being standard loadout for naval attack however i still feel this manual i've read constitutes sufficient evidence"

quote:

quote:

There, you just called me a liar again! You like insinuating because then you cannot get in trouble for insulting people.
Grow up child.

How is this calling you a liar? Did you not claim to have read a Japanese manual that states they always loaded 3 bombs for naval attack? BTW, statements like "Grow up Child" would be considered by most members of this forum to be condensending as well as insulting.

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 143
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 12:58:45 AM   
Lemurs!

Nik,

You also don't have any conclusive proof....
you just think you do and that is what i find so frustrating.
I also do not know you; why should i believe you when you say you have ever read a book?

And you just don't get it.

I asked you for proof that it was not the standard load... and you gave me 3 battles. That is no better than what i gave you.
But you have to be correct because you cannot handle not being correct.
That is what i find childish.

I have already said that mine is not conclusive, but it is not non-existent either.

I am terribly sorry you wasted my time.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 144
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 1:04:20 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

You guys ever play ASL? I've been kicking ass in CCPh with some Japanese 4-4-8s in dense jungle, but every time I dice an MMG shot I break the d@mned MGs. It's those B11 breakdown numbers and my talentless dice rolling. AArgh!

ASL.....is that a (gasp) board wargame....with dice thingys?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 145
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 1:14:51 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

ASL.....is that a (gasp) board wargame....with dice thingys?

Tell me you have played Advanced Squad Leader?

It's a requirement of being a grog!

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 146
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 1:47:01 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

Nik,

You also don't have any conclusive proof....

I think i do. Lundstrom specifically states they didn't use it for naval attack. Brady disputes the "canister issue" and i wont re-hash that. Additionally, he provides one of the most DETAILED accounts of all four carrier battles. The only recorded instance of 60kg use against naval warships was an ad-hoc attack by a land based squadron of Val's that were hastily sent to their doom armed with 2 x 60kg each. Note that this is not 1 x 250 + 2 x 60. 2 x 60 ONLY. Not one hit by a 60kg by a carrier based Val was documented nor were any trio's of bombs eyewitnessed. The other sources I listed....same thing. Again you can read them yourself and judge on the "weight of evidence". The alleged use of 60kg by Val's at Pearl Harbor? nope. Kates dropped a few, not Vals. Indian ocean attacks? nada.

By that weight of wartime evidence, I do conclude that a 1 x 250 + 2 x 60kg armament was not a STANDARD armament for naval attack. Same logic as with the B-17 and it's "2000LB bomb". The B-17 can carry one but that doesn't mean it did in wartime. WitP, as has been stated only accepts a single default loadout, one for normal range and one for extended range.

quote:

you just think you do and that is what i find so frustrating.

Yes....i do, but i'm open minded...which was why i asked you...repeatedly if you could provide that which is now established that you cant.....conclusive proof of actual use on a regular or STANDARD basis during wartime. It took what...2 pages before you admitted that you didn't.

quote:

I also do not know you; why should i believe you when you say you have ever read a book?

You dont. You can read them yourself. You want the list? I recommend starting with Lundstrom's First Team Vol's 1 and 2. They cover much of the era in which Aichi's could be expected to be met in naval combat.

quote:

And you just don't get it.

I "get it" very well. Thx

quote:

I have already said that mine is not conclusive, but it is not non-existent either.

I am terribly sorry you wasted my time.

I think you wasted your own time in reality.

(in reply to Lemurs!)
Post #: 147
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 1:48:27 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Tell me you have played Advanced Squad Leader?

It's a requirement of being a grog!

does Star Fleet Battles count?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 148
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 2:37:50 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

does Star Fleet Battles count?

Oh, a spaced out grog ... that explains everything

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 149
RE: Ki-84 - 6/12/2004 6:24:57 AM   
DoomedMantis

Boys settle down and play nicely.

You have differing opinions based on different assumptions from different sources.

If someone wants to make a scenario based on his own research and assumptions then I think this is a good thing, the more that people put into this game the better.

Lemur I dont hink that Nik or Frag were calling you a liar, they just believe their source more than yours.

Nik and Frag, Im ashamed of you, your agreeing with mdiel

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Ki-84 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI