Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Too much Air Power?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Too much Air Power? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Too much Air Power? - 6/1/2000 5:31:00 AM   
U235

I'm in the 6th battle of a long campaign. The fighting is currently in N. Africa against the British (trying to toughen the boys up a bit before sending them to the Russian Front). I know I could have adjusted for air power in the preferences, but I left it in default position. The troops were fighting a delaying action against superior numbers (of course). Oh by the way the year is Nov 1941 (this is important). During the 6th turn my troops were attacked by no less than 16 aircraft!!!(had to count em at the end of the fight) Is it me, or does that seem like an awful lot of aircraft for the British to put in the air for this one small battle? I thought I'd never see the end of them streaming out from the map edge. This seemed more probable in 1944, but 41??? I thought the British were strapped for hardware during that time frame. Of course the programing may not take that into account. But it sure was a surprise. The outcome? Well despite the the entire N. African RAF's show of force, I lost 1 sig33, 1 Pz IVd and one very experianced Flak 88 (the crew was wipped out in one pass). I did manage to shoot down 5 of the aircraft. I wish the 88's wouldn't op fire at infantry. The AI moved a lot of it's troops before the planes arrived, the 88's fired on them and barely put any shells into the air. A couple of 20mm flak and even some halftracks saved the day for me.

Post #: 1
- 6/1/2000 6:04:00 AM   
victorhauser

In the dozen or so campaign battles I've fought as the US against the Japanese (starting December 1941), I've shot down nearly every Japanese plane sent against me (and got no credit for the kills I might add) and suffered very minor losses in return (I think I've lost a rifle squad and maybe a halftrack or two due to enemy airpower in a dozen games). My conclusion to date is that airpower is not very effective in SP:WaW and is very easy to shoot down. I think they had it just about right in SP3 and would like to see a move in that direction for SP:WaW. That said, however, I always make it a part of my tactical doctrine to have plenty (and I mean plenty ) of anti-aircraft assets in my core force. It was my experience with SP3 that the more AA I had, then the more often the computer would choose not to bring lots of aircraft against me (maybe that was an illusion but it was a comforting one nonetheless!). Anyway, I recall lots of Typhoons pounding me one game in SP3 since even if I hit them they were very hard to bring down. They seem too easy to kill in SP:WaW. However, I'm not facing the Germans yet in my campaign and Japanese aircraft were known to be less sturdy. So it's still a little early for me to be making a firm conclusion about airpower effectiveness and AA defense. I'll know more in a few weeks.

VAH

(in reply to U235)
Post #: 2
- 6/1/2000 8:21:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The defensive value of Aircraft is set to low becasue a goof by yours truely We will fix it. It won't be ready for this first patch, but should be avialble about 2 weeks later.

(in reply to U235)
Post #: 3
- 6/1/2000 4:34:00 PM   
Alastair at Work

Glad to know that will happen Paul - air power is an integral part of combined arms tactics. I am certain the damage aircraft do on a pass is about right though - it is still far too powerful in spww2 and I like knowing that multiples strafes are going to be necessary to cause significant damage. Cheers A

(in reply to U235)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Too much Air Power? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI