Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Our Ages.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Our Ages..... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 12:37:41 AM   
Iron Duke

Hi,

------------47---------- 1st computer wargame was Eastern Front? by Chris Crawford but it was GG and SSI that got me hooked.

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to KevH)
Post #: 121
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 1:01:52 AM   
Ron Saueracker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

Hi,

------------47---------- 1st computer wargame was Eastern Front? by Chris Crawford but it was GG and SSI that got me hooked.

Love the name "IronDuke". Wellington aside, probably one ofthe best names for a battleship ever. "Warspite" is another. Dreadnought of course. The British had some of the best names, along with France. (Sans Pareil is brilliant) Was never a big fan of naming ships after towns, states, counties however. Boring and politically motivated.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 122
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 1:49:21 AM   
Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

Hi,

oh my god....Eastern Front! blast from the past. Still remember trying to counter all those hordes of red squares...

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 123
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 1:59:47 AM   
highblooded

Hey buckeye,
You caught me, I was on my way home from work when I realized that it was Gygax. I was hoping to edit my post before anyone might notice.

(in reply to KevH)
Post #: 124
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 3:03:39 AM   
TheMusicalMarine

Twenty years of age. I received Uncommon Valor four days before I left for basic training. My dreams for the next 3 months were monopolized by hypothetical Japanese operations in Papua.

"I'm glad I'm not a Beta."
-Brave New World

(in reply to highblooded)
Post #: 125
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 3:06:47 AM   
Captain Ed

I`M 51 STARTED PLAYING WARGAMES WITH AVALON HILLS AFRIKA KORP WHEN I WAS 12 OR 13 PLAYED EVERY BOARDGAME MADE BY THEM SINCE. THANK GOD FOR COMPUTERS MY FIRST WAS 386 SX 16 PLAYED CIVILSATION SOME 19 YEARS AGO, NOW ON MY SIXTH COMPUTER AND MERRILY BEATING THE H--- OUT OF MARK VII IN UV MAN I LOVE THIS STUFF

THE FIRST DAY OF YOUR DIET IS THE HARDEST
THE SECOND DAY IS EASY CAUSE YOU QUIT

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 126
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 3:15:47 AM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMusicalMarine

Twenty years of age. I received Uncommon Valor four days before I left for basic training. My dreams for the next 3 months were monopolized by hypothetical Japanese operations in Papua.

OMG. Talk about sweet torture... I can't imagine (well, actually I could with pictures, kodachrome slides on 35mm... *ahem*) what that would have done to me. I thought no sex in Boot Camp was bad enough...

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to TheMusicalMarine)
Post #: 127
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 3:27:02 AM   
brisd

44 here. My first 3 wargames were AH's Stalingrad, Tactics II and Blitzkrieg, way back in '73.

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 128
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 4:03:36 AM   
ChuckK

Hi all,

I'm another graying panther (44 years old) who has been playing wargames since his teens. Like others here that includes both Avalon Hill and the old SPI subscription games. Red Storm Raising on an Atari ST, Carriers at War on a Mac, PTO-1 on a SNES, Task Force '42, PTO-2 and Silent Hunter I on PCs are some computer gems of the past that come immediately to mind.

I had a joyful moment a couple of weeks ago. I was going through me Mom's basement and found my fully intact copy of AH's Jutland! I'm going to clear off my dining room table and have at it. My family is going to think I've finally gone over the edge when I send those lines of oversized counters steaming towards each other.

Best, -ChucK

< Message edited by ChuckK -- 6/9/2004 2:32:09 AM >

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 129
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 4:31:28 AM   
kfmiller41

46 here, been a wargamer since I was 14 and love it

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 130
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/9/2004 4:44:51 AM   
Raskal67

Just turned 37 here. I was laughing at the list of games everyone has owned/played. Put me down for all of the above. My best early experiences are playing Tactics II with my father at 11 and losing badly, then Midway at 12 and even winning once, I think it was even legit.
Paul

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 131
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 7:53:27 PM   
kaleun

44; 45 in october
First wargames played: WSPAC in the C64. Also Red storm rising in C24. Then played USAAF and War in the Pacific in an 8088 PC.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Raskal67)
Post #: 132
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 8:05:29 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun
Also Red storm rising in C24.

Ahhh... "Red Storm Rising"... the very first game I created tool for editing (using straight machine language) on my Commodore 64 (I was not happy with how they gave stats to tanks and I rectified it and used better and more realistic values - I still have the printouts of how I did that somewhere)...

Those were the days of youth in 1980's...

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
My best game on C64 was, of course, "Elite" - I played it for days, weeks, months and years but finally I realized that there was no "infinite" universe in it and wanted to see all goodies so I made (again machine language program) tool for altering savegame stats (the "Elite" had nice checksum routine that disallowed such activities but all was possible if you were persistent). And now (shame on me) I am IT professional but have, unfortunately, totally neglected my programming skills in past 20 years...

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 133
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 8:06:50 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

44; 45 in october
First wargames played: WSPAC in the C64. Also Red storm rising in C24. Then played USAAF and War in the Pacific in an 8088 PC.

LOL.....my first "PC" wargame was "Second Front", also played on an 8088 PC, with a whopping 40meg hard drive. (very exotic for a guy who's last computer was an Atari 800 with an Indus Disk drive)

God i remember how SLOW it used to run......took a good 5 - 15 minutes for the combat phase to resolve. Run the same program now on a Pentium and you can be zip through the phase with msg delay set to 0 in about 1 minute.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 134
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 10:34:39 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

(in reply to 609IAP_Thumper)
Post #: 135
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 10:36:06 PM   
Mr.Frag

Let's all date ourselves. Who all remembers "Hunt the Wumpus" ?

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 136
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 10:38:03 PM   
Becket

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Okay, that's scary. Hunt the Wumpus and Oregon Trail are the earliest computer games I can recall (though I was very young at the time).

Of course, I also remember when Space Invaders machines started popping up in my town.

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 137
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 10:40:03 PM   
Onime No Kyo

I wouldnt want to date myself....I'm very difficult to get along with.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 138
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 10:41:23 PM   
madflava13

I finally am biting the bullet and admitting I'm one of the youngsters around here... 24 years old. (But I'm in Law School and it's aging me rapidly)

First games were Pacwar, Silent Service, Red Storm Rising, TF 1942 and Carriers at War... Thank Tom Clancy and Larry Bond for getting me into wargaming though - first board game was the Hunt for Red October.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to Becket)
Post #: 139
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 10:48:18 PM   
Nikademus

M.U.L.E.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 140
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 10:50:50 PM   
Crocky

Crockys 39 years of age

Mike Blair CROCKY

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 141
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/14/2004 11:05:50 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Also Red storm rising in C24.

Ahhh... "Red Storm Rising"... the very first game I created tool for editing (using straight machine language) on my Commodore 64 (I was not happy with how they gave stats to tanks and I rectified it and used better and more realistic values - I still have the printouts of how I did that somewhere)...

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
My best game on C64 was, of course, "Elite" - I played it for days, weeks, months and years but finally I realized that there was no "infinite" universe in it and wanted to see all goodies so I made (again machine language program) tool for altering savegame stats (the "Elite" had nice checksum routine that disallowed such activities but all was possible if you were persistent). And now (shame on me) I am IT professional but have, unfortunately, totally neglected my programming skills in past 20 years...

1980's.... kind of a "Golden Age" for computer based wargaming. Primative graphics, next to no memory or disk storage so games had to be cleverly written to fit and the gameplay had to be great as there was no eye candy to sell them at all. But what truely made that era great, was it was easy to get/hack into the source code of any game (be it AppleSoft Basic on Apple II's or the machine code on C64's, etc) and the game code was usually small enough you could get your hands around it. With a fairly minimal set of basic programming skills you could find the code block of parts of the game you didn't like and "fix" to suit your ideas!

My first stab at "fixing" games were GG's old SSI fare for Apple IIc's. You booted to the game disk then hit some magical keyboard combination and it would dump you to a ProDos prompt with the game code fully loaded. YOu find the area you wanted to "fix", fix it, save it to the disk (or a copy) and then reboot and run your "fixed" version! My very first effort in that area was adding a lot new AI code to old NA '86. Went on to modify some other SSI games of that era and write a couple of entirely new ones that I never bothered to attempt to publish, just played them myself.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 142
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/15/2004 12:31:52 AM   
RUPD3658

36. Cut my teeth on Tactics II at 10 then moved on to Squad Leader (Pre ASL) then to Star Fleet Battles (Played on the convention tournament circut in the mid-late 80's).

Started on the computer with The Perfect General, Pac War, and The Lost Admilral. Finally got hooked on the Steel Panters Series, which I still play while waiting for Witp.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 143
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/15/2004 12:34:38 AM   
RUPD3658

Anyone remeber playing the great grand daddy of the game we await...Flat Top?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 144
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/15/2004 12:49:23 AM   
Jonny_B

After looking over all the posts, not feeling so dam old anymore (53), the postings have given me the impression of looking like a preorder Medicare listing.

Should have known, old time war gamers, kind of remains me of Sci Fi junkies!!!!!!!!!!!, which I am one.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 145
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/15/2004 3:44:58 AM   
byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13

I finally am biting the bullet and admitting I'm one of the youngsters around here... 24 years old. (But I'm in Law School and it's aging me rapidly)

Mad, you're just a pup. And if you think law school's aging you, just wait . . .

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 146
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/15/2004 4:00:03 AM   
Kensai

I went thirty this year and I fell in love with wargaming with titles like "Panzergrenadier", "Shilo", "Second Front" or "NATO Commander"

quote:

Not to be a smartass, but could it be that you mean the SSI title "Red Lightning"? Red Storm Rising was a very nice subsim which I played for weeks in my school holidays :)

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 147
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/15/2004 5:06:05 AM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

OMG, I may have to "pants" you.

I now remember buying two volumes of "Basic Computer Games", by David H. Ahl (and still have one of them.) A buddy of mine tried to sell the code for a buck an inch.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 148
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/15/2004 6:10:19 AM   
stubby331

age....36

First computer was a C64, first strategy game "carriers at war".

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 149
RE: Our Ages..... - 6/15/2004 8:10:10 AM   
PeckingFury

33, I can remember starting off with Infocom games Zork,Enchanter,Planetfall ...etc, on the C-64 that damn floppy drive 5040 i think it was not sure, external unit had to be cleaned alot. First wargame was Talonsofts West and East Front.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Our Ages..... Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI