Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

quick question...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> quick question... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
quick question... - 6/15/2004 12:45:08 PM   
SamRo

Suspect already answered but will subs historically capable of flying subs be able to do so?
Post #: 1
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 2:02:55 PM   
DoomedMantis

yes

I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare

(in reply to SamRo)
Post #: 2
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 2:22:04 PM   
tiredoftryingnames

What game are you testing? I have seen no flying subs launched from other subs. In fact there are no flying subs at all. Although there is a sub called Flying Fish.

(in reply to DoomedMantis)
Post #: 3
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 2:23:59 PM   
Rainerle

Raising old question:
When will sub vs. sub be included ?

(in reply to tiredoftryingnames)
Post #: 4
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 2:25:23 PM   
tiredoftryingnames

When subs fly.

< Message edited by tiredoftryingnames -- 6/15/2004 7:26:44 AM >

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 5
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 2:41:56 PM   
DoomedMantis

your in a jolly mood tonigh Tired, you get laid or something

- Shakespeare

Post #: 6
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 2:44:06 PM   
SamRo

opps....

right so there are no flying sub's but subs capable of lunching aircraft will beable to do so then?

Post #: 7
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 2:46:09 PM   
DoomedMantis

yes

- Shakespeare

(in reply to SamRo)
Post #: 8
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 2:50:06 PM   
tsimmonds

Wait a minute.

You mean this game will have NO FLYING SUBS?

That's it; I quit.

Fear the kitten!

Post #: 9
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 2:51:03 PM   
tiredoftryingnames

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoomedMantis

your in a jolly mood tonigh Tired, you get laid or something

As far as I can recall I have not been passed into this world by a chicken recently.

Post #: 10
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 3:17:19 PM   
DoomedMantis

oh thats good

- Shakespeare

Post #: 11
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 3:54:32 PM   
Luskan

Little does Raver know I slipped a rocket propelled I-Boat into the OOB for our game (Iboat with six V2's strapped to the back).

I plan to launch her from the Tokyo launch pad - if she lands in the ocean on the west coast, her crew should still be alive, so she'll ditch the rockets and become an ultra long range sub, or if she hits land (she's aimed at LA) her crew will be dead - but I'll have packed her FULL of propoganda leaflets . . . that way I win either way.

I was also thinking that if Germany can lend me enough v2s, I might be able to retrofit the Nates into something useful . . .

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

Post #: 12
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 4:04:06 PM   
tiredoftryingnames

Better hope he doesn't have 800mm ASAA (anti-sub anti-air) guns stationed at LA.

(in reply to Luskan)
Post #: 13
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 4:21:14 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rainerle

Raising old question:
When will sub vs. sub be included ?

That was a Cold War era thing, when us and the Soviets developed wolfpack tactics with nuclear attack subs to go after the "boomers". The sub on sub engagements, in WWII, if they occurred at all, were probably surface engagements using the deck gun.

(in reply to Rainerle)
Post #: 14
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 4:38:41 PM   
Subchaser

quote:

ORIGINAL: ZOOMIE1980

That was a Cold War era thing, when us and the Soviets developed wolfpack tactics with nuclear attack subs to go after the "boomers". The sub on sub engagements, in WWII, if they occurred at all, were probably surface engagements using the deck gun.

These Japanese subs were destroyed by Allied submarines in Pacific 1942-45, 15% of all IJN subs losses. BTW, almost all were sunk by torpedoes

I-4,
I-122,
I-28,
I-29,
I-34,
I-42,
I-43,
I-64,
I-166,
I-168,
I-73,
I-183,
I-351,
I-364,
I-365,
I-371,
I-373,
RO-112,
RO-113,
RO-115.

< Message edited by Subchaser -- 6/15/2004 5:40:37 PM >

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 15
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 5:13:26 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Subchaser

quote:

These Japanese subs were destroyed by Allied submarines in Pacific 1942-45, 15% of all IJN subs losses. BTW, almost all were sunk by torpedoes

I-4,
I-122,
I-28,
I-29,
I-34,
I-42,
I-43,
I-64,
I-166,
I-168,
I-73,
I-183,
I-351,
I-364,
I-365,
I-371,
I-373,
RO-112,
RO-113,
RO-115.

Yea, and probably in a surface engagement much the same way a sub sank any other ship. There were no "Red Storm Rising/Hunt For Red October" sub on sub style engagements in WWII. The ASW technology simply wasn't there yet....

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 16
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 5:26:43 PM   
Radzy

If You take look at Sensuikan on the famous Nihon Kaigun homepage and search the fates of subs mentioned by Subchaser, you will find, that many of them were sunk by torpedo hit.

"When they come a wull staun ma groon
Staun ma groon al nae be afraid
Thoughts awe hame tak awa ma fear
Sweat an bluid hide ma veil awe tears
Ains a year say a prayer faur me
Close yir een an remember me"
Sgt. MacKenzie

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 17
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 5:44:54 PM   
soeren

It was common for allied subs to hunt for axis subs, particulary the RN did it a lot ( at least in europe ). As subs spend most of their time surfaced, they are not invulnerable to an torpedo attack.

< Message edited by soeren -- 6/15/2004 3:45:12 PM >

(in reply to Radzy)
Post #: 18
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 6:38:14 PM   
Nikademus

ULTRA intercepts allowed the USN subs to intercept and "lie in wait" for them. The Japanese sub would show up (often right on schedule). One torpedo is all it takes to kill a sub 99.9% of the time

(in reply to soeren)
Post #: 19
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 6:45:56 PM   
kaleun

I remember reading about a US submarine, can't remember which, that would actually try to track the Japanese subs by the interference that their radar would cause on the US submarine's radar. Apparently very few IJN ships had radar, but most subs had it. (this must have been towards the end of the war) Unfortunately I can't remember the exact reference.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 20
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 7:25:47 PM   
Subchaser

quote:

Yea, and probably in a surface engagement much the same way a sub sank any other ship. There were no "Red Storm Rising/Hunt For Red October" sub on sub style engagements in WWII. The ASW technology simply wasn't there yet....

Sorry, but I have to post some more statistics: 46 enemy subs (20 Japanese subs and 26 German U-boats) were sunk by Allied submarines during the war. In return U-boats killed 9 Allied subs, Japanese submariners claimed 4 boats, although only one is confirmed kill. So…56 submarines were lost in sub vs sub combat during ww2, this number is not so miserable as you think.

Almost all these subs were sunk by torpedoes as I said, and I don’t see anything unusual here. Subs of that era weren’t truly submarines, as it was pointed out they spent most of their time during a mission on surface and during this time there was no difference between them and surface vessels, they all were targets for submerged subs, no need for sophisticated ASW equipment here.

(in reply to ZOOMIE1980)
Post #: 21
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 7:35:34 PM   
tiredoftryingnames

For this to be in the game one sub would have to be determined to be submerged hunting while the other would be sailing along on the surface. SO basically someone would get the jump on the other and treat it as a normal sub on ship combat.

I can see it now.

"Allied fanboys got their way, their subs are always submerged and kill my subs. How come my subs are never submerged?"

(in reply to SamRo)
Post #: 22
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 7:46:18 PM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

"Allied fanboys got their way, their subs are always submerged and kill my subs. How come my subs are never submerged?"

I want some borrowed subs with 88mm deck guns

Post #: 23
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 7:46:54 PM   
tsimmonds

quote:

...one sub would have to be determined to be submerged hunting while the other would be sailing along on the surface...

Actually, if you look into it I believe you would find that most of the killer subs were on the surface too. Probably most of these sub-on-sub kills happened at night, when subs were likely to surfaced and charging batteries, and when detection of these extremely stealthy vessels would be most difficult. Radar would be a huge advantage....

Fear the kitten!

Post #: 24
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 8:05:06 PM   
Subchaser

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

For this to be in the game one sub would have to be determined to be submerged hunting while the other would be sailing along on the surface. SO basically someone would get the jump on the other and treat it as a normal sub on ship combat.

I can see it now.

I don’t want to say that missing sub vs sub combat is something worthy to loose sleep about, but in fact, it can be modeled quite easily. Here is one of possible way to do it -

Submarines should try to intercept and attack submarine TFs that move through their hex during execution phase, chance of such interception (not attack) should be quite low. Here we can assume that submarine that moves through a hex, which is current patrol zone of the enemy submarine(s), moves on surface while enemy sub on patrol is submerged. It should always be ambush, submerged sub on patrol attacks one that moves thru her hex on surface.

There were enough examples of successful “ASW” action of Allied subs without any help from ULTRA, kills by Taurus, Telemachus, Tautog, Batfish, by 3 Soviet subs etc. etc. Don’t forget that all allied subs were killed by axis subs without help of intel services of their navies.

< Message edited by Subchaser -- 6/15/2004 9:07:13 PM >

Post #: 25
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 8:12:15 PM   
ZOOMIE1980

quote:

ORIGINAL: Subchaser

quote:

Sorry, but I have to post some more statistics: 46 enemy subs (20 Japanese subs and 26 German U-boats) were sunk by Allied submarines during the war. In return U-boats killed 9 Allied subs, Japanese submariners claimed 4 boats, although only one is confirmed kill. So…56 submarines were lost in sub vs sub combat during ww2, this number is not so miserable as you think.

Almost all these subs were sunk by torpedoes as I said, and I don’t see anything unusual here. Subs of that era weren’t truly submarines, as it was pointed out they spent most of their time during a mission on surface and during this time there was no difference between them and surface vessels, they all were targets for submerged subs, no need for sophisticated ASW equipment here.

Well I gathered the initial question of sub on sub combat was more pointed at fully submerged sub vs sub combat, ala Hunt For Red October where subs go at it, fully submerged using active sonar homing torps, which, of course, were non-existant in WWII. I image all those sunk subs killed by torp were hit and sunk while on the surface as any other ship was. And that kind of combat, is of course, realistic of the time.

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 26
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 8:13:13 PM   
tiredoftryingnames

I wasn't saying it shouldn't be in the game with my joke. I'm merely stating that it's a small part of operations and one that would for sure cause complaints when modeled because someone's sub would be given the advantage. For it to work whether one or both is on the surface someone is going to get the jump. But it's a moot point close to getting released. Maybe for a patch but that's a call I can't make.

(in reply to Subchaser)
Post #: 27
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 8:16:34 PM   
byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiredoftryingnames

What game are you testing? I have seen no flying subs launched from other subs. In fact there are no flying subs at all. Although there is a sub called Flying Fish.

Haven't been watching "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" recently I see. The Seaview had a flying sub. And since it was technically possible for the Japanese to have developed this during the war, I am demanding that it be put into the production cycle as of 1/1/46. If not, the game is broken.

Post #: 28
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 8:22:29 PM   
Mr.Frag

Watch it when you send your subs into bases with CD guns if trying to transport troops or lay mines!

*while we are on the sub topic*

(in reply to byron13)
Post #: 29
RE: quick question... - 6/15/2004 8:29:44 PM   
byron13

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Watch it when you send your subs into bases with CD guns if trying to transport troops or lay mines!

*while we are on the sub topic*

Excuse me, sir. Are you suggesting that this is the quickest way to make a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? And probably one-way?

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> quick question... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI