Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Understanding Combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Understanding Combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Understanding Combat - 6/17/2004 9:04:50 PM   
Crimson_Mafia

I'm a general Newbie to the Wargaming scene but it looks like great fun so my friend gave me his copy of Korsun Pocket seeing as he has Across The Dnepr Expansion. I get the tactics and stuff considering I'm a 20th Century Warfare Buff. What baffles me is the combat system.
Q #1: I Took CCA forward and smashed into a German "Unit" I hit attack or whatever and the bottom box came up. I hit the artillery strike button next to my commander and hit the wierd looking button that shows 2 men fighting. I heard fighting and tank cannon but then the unit im attacking with just has the little thing going around its box. I hit exit and nothing happens. The enemy unit doesn't die, my boys don't lose men or ammo and I don't know how to use artillery. What the heck do I do??
Q #2: What is the difference between the unit box (Exp. CCA/3rd Armored) vs. the little circles all over the Frontlines that have guys in them?
Post #: 1
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/17/2004 10:53:06 PM   
Salient

I guess you could start with the tutorial, it will give you an idea how combat exactly works.
This isn't RTS, units don't die that quickly...

Really, try the lessons in the tutorials.

(in reply to Crimson_Mafia)
Post #: 2
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/18/2004 3:58:28 AM   
Gregor_SSG

Please give the tutorials a go. They don't take long, and they explain everything you need to know. Then if you've still got questions, at least you'll know the terminology and conventions that the game uses, and we'll be much better able to help you.

For instance, I think the little circles with men in them that you ask about are strongpoints, which represent improved defensive positions or fortifications. They are covered in the tutorial though, so it's easier if you read about them there rather than me having to guess from your descriptions.

Gregor

Vice President, Strategic Studies Group
See http://www.ssg.com.au and http://www.ssg.com.au/forums/
for info and free scenarios.

Post #: 3
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/20/2004 4:20:49 PM   
Crimson_Mafia

I have played the tutorials and they don't help. Am i missing something in the tutorials because when i hit Lesson #1 they just plop me down with an Army and say go. Is their some kind of voice that I'm not hearing or is there a pop up that I'm not seeing that explains what the game is??

(in reply to Gregor_SSG)
Post #: 4
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/20/2004 4:28:24 PM   
wodin

You have to follow the tutorial with the manual.

Post #: 5
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/20/2004 4:38:34 PM   
Crimson_Mafia

What manual? The PDF one? I hope you dont mean one that came in the box because my friend has it in that case and might have through it away. Heres some things I don't get still...
#1: I still don't get the tutorial. If someone could show me this manual you speak of I'd be grateful.
#2: First turn i move up my American units to the the Frontline. I hit end turn #1and was in control of the Germans?!?!? What the Heck is with that?
#3: I attacked CCA with 10th PzG and as soon as I clicked the attack an explosion appeared over CCA and the Combat Box jumped up. But the Explosion just stayed there.
I couldn't hit a fight button because it wasnt there!! I'm very lost.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/20/2004 5:38:56 PM   
Bill Durrant

Just finished the tutorials they will explain alot. A book does come with the game BUT go to the KP directory and it should have a .pdf file (you need Adobe Acrobat reader - may also come with the CD-ROM) and open the "Player's guide". This takes you through the tutorials. They will take about four hours or so but well worth it. Good luck.

Post #: 7
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/20/2004 7:15:36 PM   
Crimson_Mafia

I don't see the Players guide. I opened the .pdf manual and heres the subtitles to click on.
1:Intro
2:getting Started
3:main Screen
4:Units
5:Battlefield Pop up display
6:Movement
7:Combat
8:Supply
9:Reinforcments
10:Game Scenarios
11: How to win
12: History
I don't see anything called a players guide.

(in reply to Bill Durrant)
Post #: 8
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/20/2004 9:37:07 PM   
rwatson

In the manuals folder theres a manual and players guide PDF.

Post #: 9
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/21/2004 2:27:32 AM   
Fred98

The players guide comes as a hard copy inside the box.

The manual is a PDF file. Thats the one you have pointed to. If you print a hard copy it is easier to read.

(in reply to rwatson)
Post #: 10
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/21/2004 2:53:01 AM   
Rob Gjessing

Your friend gave you his copy of KP 'seeing as he has the Across the Dnepr add on'? Thats odd.. Across the Dnepr is only an add on.. he would still need his copy of KP to play Across the Dnepr.. hope there aint any breach of copyright going on there..

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 11
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/21/2004 6:02:57 AM   
Crimson_Mafia

Ok Im on lesson 5 and really starting to grasp it now. Its still going to take time but I'm willing to commit. In the first attack against 1st Fussilar battalion it says we both lost 1 step. My odds were 11-1 in my favor?!?1? I don't understand how I didnt smash the crap out of that little battalion? And what exactly is a step?

(in reply to Rob Gjessing)
Post #: 12
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/21/2004 8:28:45 AM   
JSS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimson_Mafia

Ok Im on lesson 5 and really starting to grasp it now. Its still going to take time but I'm willing to commit. In the first attack against 1st Fussilar battalion it says we both lost 1 step. My odds were 11-1 in my favor?!?1? I don't understand how I didnt smash the crap out of that little battalion? And what exactly is a step?

Here's a direct answer to these questions. More factors are involved but the points below adress what you've asked about:

The terrain where the enemy was located has a unique set of possible Combat results by combat odds. Sounds like you had 10+ to 1 odds (highest possible)... In most terrains this will result in an overrun (damage + auto retreat and you get to attack again with the same units) unless the defending units have three steps and at least one is dug in. The damage done is seen in the combat screen... i.e. A1-D2R means the attacking unit with the highest number of steps loses one step and the defending units lose two steps and have to retreat.

A step is a measure of combat power.

A Regimental size unit usually has three or four steps. This translates roughly as a step represents the combat power of a battalion.

A Battalion sized unit will have two or three steps so a step would represent the combat power of a company or two.

Losing a step would represent the effects of:
1) dead, wounded, missing personnel, AND
2) the disorganization that follows combat, AND
3) the broken, destroyed, lost equipment & supplies

JSS

< Message edited by JSS -- 6/21/2004 3:33:22 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Understanding Combat - 6/22/2004 3:30:59 AM   
Crimson_Mafia

Ok heres another question i cant locate in the manual. On my OoB (Order of Battle) it says I have an "alert" 6th Infantry division on Hex 9-16 right above a supply depot. I right click on it and the truck but it doesn't appear anywhere. Next problem is my truck is stuck in grass and can only go nowhere for some reason. Can anyone help me with my problem. btw this is tutorial 6 and I'm playing it outtrying to get my Americans to win.

(in reply to JSS)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Understanding Combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI