Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Uses of HMGvs MMG ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Uses of HMGvs MMG ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Uses of HMGvs MMG ? - 6/25/2004 3:53:59 PM   
Yamashita

Noticed in my last game - Jap. vs USSR '39 assault that my HMGs were pretty useless as after moving they have no shots left. i'm wondering if I should change them to MMGs for greater flexibility?

Please share your uses & preferences for these 2 MG classes!

Now so far out of 3 battles they have all been at night with visibility ranging from 7 to 3 hexes. I'm new to this night fighting thing but it is proving an interesting challenge- tho I ssuspect it would be less interesting if the Soviet forces didn't have such horrible exp & command ratings.

Thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: Uses of HMGvs MMG ? - 6/25/2004 4:22:05 PM   
Voriax

MMG's will also have zero shots after moving. If your hmg is a small calibre weapon then the differences between it and and mmg are rather small. HE kill tends to be bigger in hmg, but it is usually slower. You better use the oob editor to examine the various weapons.
However if you were playing Soviets then I'd suggest you get 12,7mm DShK hmg's. They are very effective against lightly armoured vehicles, not mentioning soft targets.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 2
RE: Uses of HMGvs MMG ? - 6/25/2004 5:06:51 PM   
FlashfyreSP

I tend to use HMGs only when I am delaying/defending, since they usually have longer range and better FC and RF values than the MMGs. Their lack of movement is not a concern, since I have them emplaced. Also, in low visibility fights, put the MGs in the same hex as an infantry unit, preferably the platoon leader squad; this ensures the MG is in contact with it's leader, and can be rallied easier. Also, the infantry unit can protect the MG from being overrun by tanks, because MGs have low assault chances compared to regular infantry.

(in reply to Voriax)
Post #: 3
RE: Uses of HMGvs MMG ? - 6/26/2004 12:35:50 AM   
Yamashita

Thanks FlashfyreSP ,

Good to know combining platoon leaders with mgs sounds like a VERY good idea!

Appreciate all your advice!

(in reply to FlashfyreSP)
Post #: 4
RE: Uses of HMGvs MMG ? - 6/26/2004 1:43:37 AM   
Mangudai

Sometimes the only difference between an HMG and an MMG is the type of tripod it sits on. The HMGs tend to have a little more accuracy, and a little less speed. HMGs are more defensive than MMGs. LMGs are the only ones that can move and fire in the same turn, but they have crappy accuracy especially at long range. They are good if you're advancing extremely rapidly.

The American .50 HMG is a truly devastating weapon. It can rip apart an infantry squad at very long ranges. I use them in fairly static positions to overwatch a ridge or field. The .30 is much less powerfull, but cheaper. I never buy .30 HMGs. Most American platoons have a .30 MMG or two attached. Ideally, you sneak the MMG into a position where it can support the advance of the rifle squads. Then shoot one or two bursts at every enemy squad in sight, to make them go to pinned When the enemy is pinned your riflemen can advance and assualt. You can also use a MG to "Z" fire a woodline before your riflemen advance into a clearing.

On defense, your MMGs should take the spots with the best visibility. In jungle the MMG defends the clearings, and the regular riflemen locate in the thick stuff.

The Japs have two main types of MGs. One is 6.5 mm the other is 7.7 mm. For me the choice is a no brainer, unless you feel the need to buy cheap stuff and spread out over a wider frontage.

(in reply to Yamashita)
Post #: 5
RE: Uses of HMGvs MMG ? - 6/27/2004 9:45:48 PM   
Marek Tucan

@HMG vs. MMG: All I know is that HMG's had usually higher ROF, in some cases (Maxim, Vickers, Schwarzlose, Browning 1917) they were water-cooled, which resulted in the ROF, or they were of large caliber, or more robust tripod etc.

Rifle-caliber HMGs mostly died out after universal machineguns as MG-42/MG-3 or FN-MAG came.

Btw IIRC in some period prior to WWII the M2HB .50 HMG was in the "AT-Weapon class", is it correct?

And in the SP, when defending, DShK or M2HB are really quite nasty things:)

Tuccy

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Uses of HMGvs MMG ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI