Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A few words of advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> A few words of advice Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 1:39:24 AM   
Joel Billings

I want to strongly encourage all new WitP players to fight the urge to jump right into one of the main campaigns. Even if you are an experienced UV player, there are many new features that you will want to learn. By playing a smaller scenario (like #2 Rising Sun or any from #3-#6) you will quickly start uncovering these new features and new rules without having to try to handle all of the units of the main campaigns. You also won't have to worry about production. Scenario 2 is especially good, as it will familiarize you with the main area of operations for the first 100 days of the war. If you have not played UV (and maybe even if you have), using the tutorial is a must. Since I like to play immediately when I get a game, I'd personally start scenario 2 as the Allies and see if I could stop the Japanese AI's opening moves. The unit count won't be too high and if you make some mistakes, at least you'll learn quickly without having to play for hours. Once you are ready for more, try scenario 2 as the Japanese. You'll have to manage major operations with lots of ships and other units, but again it will be much more manageable. At that point, you should have figured out a lot and all you'll have left to learn is production (aside from strategy that is).

Alternatively you could start a full campaign and run only one or a few areas (letting the AI run the rest), but the turns will take much longer to execute (and a lot of the action won't involve your units). I'd still stick with a small map scenario to start.

I know everyone wants to jump into the campaign. If you can resist, you will learn faster and I think will actually be enjoying the campaign much sooner than if you try to tackle it first. For the UV players, playing scenario 2 should be a lot of fun as it will open up a whole new area of the world to you as you prepare yourself for the main campaign.

If you wanted to climb Mount Everest, I think you'd want to start with something a little smaller first and gradually work your way up. WitP is no different. Consider UV like a nice 4,000-meter peak in comparison.

Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy the game.

If you take the advice to play the tutorial, be sure first to follow the instructions below until the first patch comes out to fix this problem:

Quick Fix - Make a backup copy of wpc001.dat and replace this file with a copy of wpc006.dat in the scen directory. This affects everyone. If you have a save game, do not use it as it will not pick up these changes. This file is only read when you start the scenario.

Thanks to Mr. Frag for devising this quick fix so quickly and we're sorry that those of you trying the tutorial have had to endure this problem.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 7/2/2004 7:23:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 1:49:00 AM   
kaleun

Thanks Joel for your advice. It is kind off what i had planned.
And thank you for all your work and help in this forum of cantankerous (mostly) old farts

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 2
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 3:10:05 AM   
Knavey

No doubt I am going to enjoy the game. Doubt very much that the first load will be one of the smaller scenarios. Certainly after I have swamped myself with the sheer volume of ocean, I will go back to one.

But comeon...you can't expect us to have waited this long, and salivated a sea of slobber, just to bite off a UV sized portion. Sure we are going to choke, but we are going to enjoy it!!!

Thanks for a great game...in advance.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

Post #: 3
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 3:11:25 AM   
Bosun

Just a word to thank you all at Matrix for your hard work and devotion. It is obvious to us all that what you do is a labor of love. I have been wargaming for more than 20 years and no company comes remotely close to level of service and first rate support of fantastic games. I salute you!

Attachment (1)

A WILLING FOE AND SEA ROOM...

ANONYMOUS

Post #: 4
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 3:13:29 AM   
Toro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Thanks Joel for your advice. It is kind off what i had planned.
And thank you for all your work and help in this forum of cantankerous (mostly) old farts

And I think that would be "...help in this forum of cantankerous (mostly) old (mostly) farts..."

And, thanks Joel. Excellent advice.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 5
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 3:14:07 AM   
GameTester

I will follow Mr. Billing's advice and start with one of the smaller ones.

(in reply to Bosun)
Post #: 6
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 4:04:34 AM   
byron13

Yes, thank you Joel.

You are, of course, right.
I will, of course, start with the campaign game.

Hey, it's what gamers do!

< Message edited by byron13 -- 6/26/2004 2:37:36 AM >

(in reply to GameTester)
Post #: 7
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 4:17:21 AM   
captskillet

Joel is production gonna be handled kinda like it was in Pacwar?

And to the Japanese AI a word of warning... when I get my grubby little booger pickers on the game here in a couple of days WATCH OUT! The 1st Marine Division is comin!!!

Post #: 8
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 5:33:23 AM   
Platoonist

Something tells me the inscrutable mass of code and algorithms that is the Japanese AI is not too terribly concerned.

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 9
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 7:26:20 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

The Japanese AI is a bit of a queer duck. It has an exceptional eye for detail, but is not very imaginative. Fortunately, it does not mind loosing. It does seem to receive great joy from playing, though.

Bye...

Michael Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Something tells me the inscrutable mass of code and algorithms that is the Japanese AI is not too terribly concerned.

(in reply to Platoonist)
Post #: 10
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 7:44:35 AM   
bilbow

quote:

ORIGINAL: GameTester

I will follow Mr. Billing's advice and start with one of the smaller ones.

I already did, and was still drowned!

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill

(in reply to GameTester)
Post #: 11
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 8:03:55 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: captskillet

Joel is production gonna be handled kinda like it was in Pacwar?

And to the Japanese AI a word of warning... when I get my grubby little booger pickers on the game here in a couple of days WATCH OUT! The 1st Marine Division is comin!!!

Were you 1st Mar Div?....just curious

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 12
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 9:27:09 AM   
Wallymanowar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

I want to strongly encourage all new WitP players to fight the urge to jump right into one of the main campaigns. Even if you are an experienced UV player, there are many new features that you will want to learn. By playing a smaller scenario (like #2 Rising Sun or any from #3-#6) you will quickly start uncovering these new features and new rules without having to try to handle all of the units of the main campaigns. You also won't have to worry about production. Scenario 2 is especially good, as it will familiarize you with the main area of operations for the first 100 days of the war. If you have not played UV (and maybe even if you have), using the tutorial is a must. Since I like to play immediately when I get a game, I'd personally start scenario 2 as the Allies and see if I could stop the Japanese AI's opening moves. The unit count won't be too high and if you make some mistakes, at least you'll learn quickly without having to play for hours. Once you are ready for more, try scenario 2 as the Japanese. You'll have to manage major operations with lots of ships and other units, but again it will be much more manageable. At that point, you should have figured out a lot and all you'll have left to learn is production (aside from strategy that is).

Alternatively you could start a full campaign and run only one or a few areas (letting the AI run the rest), but the turns will take much longer to execute (and a lot of the action won't involve your units). I'd still stick with a small map scenario to start.

I know everyone wants to jump into the campaign. If you can resist, you will learn faster and I think will actually be enjoying the campaign much sooner than if you try to tackle it first. For the UV players, playing scenario 2 should be a lot of fun as it will open up a whole new area of the world to you as you prepare yourself for the main campaign.

If you wanted to climb Mount Everest, I think you'd want to start with something a little smaller first and gradually work your way up. WitP is no different. Consider UV like a nice 4,000-meter peak in comparison.

Thanks for the advice Joel, but in the words of Admiral Farragut

"Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead"

I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?
Yogi Berra

Post #: 13
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 4:56:50 PM   
captskillet

Nope, my Dad was in Korea...he was a reservist when it started..got called up and ended up as a replacement for the 7th Reg. right after they got back from Chosin. He said there weren't but about 2100 men left in the WHOLE REG. when he gotr there. Now there's a game we need Joel...Korea!!!!

< Message edited by captskillet -- 6/26/2004 3:00:32 PM >

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 14
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 7:50:43 PM   
Jonny_B

Hey Kaleum, whom are you calling an old fart:

I am not an old fart, I had to walk to school in the snow without shoes, before you were born.
Now that’s an old fart, I am a elderly war gamer, and are you the one in the other thread that lost his parachute, for being a smart A$$.

I hope so, great comment!!!!!!!!

Time for my old fart afternoon nap.

< Message edited by Jonny_B -- 6/26/2004 5:52:22 PM >

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 15
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 8:14:56 PM   
brisd

Thanks Joel for the advice and all the hard work that went (and still is ongoing) into this game. Now go out and take a break on this beautiful San Diego day! (hope you are home and not in some other sweaty city).

"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant

Post #: 16
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 8:21:56 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: brisd

Thanks Joel for the advice and all the hard work that went (and still is ongoing) into this game. Now go out and take a break on this beautiful San Diego day! (hope you are home and not in some other sweaty city).

Thanks for the advice. Yes I'm home in this paradise and will be heading out soon (to drive the kids around, seems like that's my real job).

(in reply to brisd)
Post #: 17
RE: A few words of advice - 6/26/2004 10:57:14 PM   
ATENTOKO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

VERY GOOD ADVICE. HOPE I CAN DO IT WHEN I BY THE GAME.

I´M IN SPAIN, AT CANARY ISLANDS IN THE ATLANTIC. WHEN CAN I BUY THE GAME???

Post #: 18
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 2:05:37 AM   
GBirkn

I bought my copy yesterday at Origins, and of course I didn't even wait to leave the building before firing it up and watching the first turn of the big campaign unfold. That was followed by about 15 minutes or so of scrolling around the map in astonishment at just how much there is of everything. So last night I started poking around in Scenario 2 here and there, seeing how the system works and just generally enjoying things. Now I'm toying with the Marianas scenario, which is even smaller. This game is clearly going to have a learning curve associated with it, but I can't wait to get back to climbing it.

And a great big thanks to everyone at Matrix and 2x3 (especially the ones I met yesterday) for putting this together. Wow!

"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let's give them all they want." -- Gen. W. T. Sherman

(in reply to ATENTOKO)
Post #: 19
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 2:57:02 AM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: ATENTOKO

I´M IN SPAIN, AT CANARY ISLANDS IN THE ATLANTIC. WHEN CAN I BUY THE GAME???

You can order it soon. But delivery wil take a while

(in reply to ATENTOKO)
Post #: 20
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 3:11:26 AM   
Mr.Frag

quote:

This game is clearly going to have a learning curve associated with it, but I can't wait to get back to climbing it.

True but the view from the top of the mountain is really breath taking once you get there

(in reply to GBirkn)
Post #: 21
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 6:30:28 AM   
Grotius

Atentoko, I think we'll all be able to buy it via Digital Download shortly. For a small additional fee, you can also order a CD via mail so that you have a backup for your digital download.

(in reply to Mr.Frag)
Post #: 22
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 11:16:02 AM   
ATENTOKO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Atentoko, I think we'll all be able to buy it via Digital Download shortly. For a small additional fee, you can also order a CD via mail so that you have a backup for your digital download.

TANKS FOR ALL, I´M REALLY WAITING FOR GETTING IT.
THANKS

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 23
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 4:21:02 PM   
Pier5

Hi:

What kind of internet service do you have there now? I made a number of trips to Tenerife (design-build of a time-share condo built up the side of an extinct volcano at Los Cristianos), but never got to Gran Canaria. I enjoyed an incredible view of the Atlantic on the veranda from about 800 meters up.

Pier5

(in reply to ATENTOKO)
Post #: 24
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 5:23:38 PM   
Drex

i just recently saw a documentary on the possibiliity of an island in the Canaries being so unstable as to possibly producing a catastrophic Tsunami on the East Ccoast of the US. Have you heard of this,

(in reply to Pier5)
Post #: 25
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 6:05:08 PM   
daniel123

i watched the same show. i also watched one on the possable massive erruption of a massive volcano in the western US.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 26
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 7:53:06 PM   
ATENTOKO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drex

i just recently saw a documentary on the possibiliity of an island in the Canaries being so unstable as to possibly producing a catastrophic Tsunami on the East Ccoast of the US. Have you heard of this,

HI QUIET INTERESTING THE LAQST MARCH WE HAD 7 EARHTQUAKES ALL IN A ROW.... SOMETHING EXTRAGE BUT A BITR TERRIFYING

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 27
RE: A few words of advice - 6/27/2004 7:56:13 PM   
ATENTOKO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pier5

Hi:

What kind of internet service do you have there now? I made a number of trips to Tenerife (design-build of a time-share condo built up the side of an extinct volcano at Los Cristianos), but never got to Gran Canaria. I enjoyed an incredible view of the Atlantic on the veranda from about 800 meters up.

Pier5

HELLO PIER5,
NOW I´M CONNECTING VIA GPRS CELLULAR PHONE NETWORK AT 56Kb
BUT I ALSO HAVE UMTS 3G AT 384Kb
HOPE I CAN UNLOAD THE GAME SOON

(in reply to Pier5)
Post #: 28
RE: A few words of advice - 6/28/2004 6:59:55 AM   
kaleun

ATENTOKO: Si escribes todo en mayusculas parece que estas gritando.
Es agradable ver a alguien de Espana en este foro.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to ATENTOKO)
Post #: 29
RE: A few words of advice - 6/28/2004 10:36:19 PM   
Caltone

Sound advice Joel. I've played UV nearly every day since it came out and I'm still gawking at the tutorial in Witp Lots of new things to look at and play around with.

Great work gentlemen

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> A few words of advice Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI