Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Motorcycles in winter

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Motorcycles in winter Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Motorcycles in winter - 7/1/2004 3:40:46 AM   
Smeghead

Hey all. I am playing a scenario Germans vrs Russians, winter, Eastern front.

The Russians have a fair number of motorcycles that move VERY fast and far over snow covered ground. I am just wondering if they all have dirtbikes (some with sidecars and mgs of course) or skidos? Is there chances of immobilization for this type of unit in snow covered ground?

Sorry if this has been asked & answered before.

Using latest verison of SPWAW

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Motorcycles in winter - 7/1/2004 6:36:29 PM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeghead

Hey all. I am playing a scenario Germans vrs Russians, winter, Eastern front.

The Russians have a fair number of motorcycles that move VERY fast and far over snow covered ground. I am just wondering if they all have dirtbikes (some with sidecars and mgs of course) or skidos? Is there chances of immobilization for this type of unit in snow covered ground?

Sorry if this has been asked & answered before.

Using latest verison of SPWAW

Thanks!

i am not particulary sure but iirc it was a common practice to replace the one of the wheels (the front probably) with a ski for the duration of the winter .. also one for the sidecar if there was any... add to that snowchains around the backwheel and you have yourself a mean snowmachine

(in reply to Smeghead)
Post #: 2
RE: Motorcycles in winter - 7/2/2004 2:00:44 AM   
Mangudai

They can still breakdown. I don't know if they are likely to in clear snow. But, woods are just as dangerous as ever when you hit them at 40mph.

(in reply to String)
Post #: 3
RE: Motorcycles in winter - 7/2/2004 3:07:29 AM   
Smeghead

Okay, thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind for future games.

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 4
RE: Motorcycles in winter - 7/29/2004 8:34:30 PM   
Flyboy

I'm playing a PBEM game right now (defending against a river crossing), where I bought several sections of German hvy motorcycles to use a rapid response force against rubber boats or infantry that make it to my shore . . . a couple of sections took some heavy small arms fire on turn 2, and now, on turn 9, they're still not moving, but have 0 suppression, and are 'Ready' (i.e., good to go, but no movement radius whatsoever) . . . it's not very realistic that all 5 or 6 bikes would be broken down at once . . . could it be that if the 'lead' bike is broke, they all are (like tubes in an OB arty battery, prior to v7.1)?

(in reply to Smeghead)
Post #: 5
RE: Motorcycles in winter - 7/30/2004 1:56:20 AM   
Procrustes

Yeah, that's a bit of a glitch with motorcycles - if you get an "immobilization" then the whole squad is stuck. If I'm not confusing this with a previous version of SP, then the same thing happens with bicycle squads!

It's a pain, but I just live with it now. Motorcycles are such effective units in this game that I just accept it as a little bit of compensation.

(in reply to Flyboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Motorcycles in winter - 7/30/2004 1:56:28 AM   
Procrustes

Sorry - somehow got another duplicate post. Seems to be the way I have Netscape and/or Webwasher configured - the "fast reply" has done this to me before. Vanilla IE works always works, though.

Didn't we used to be able to delete our own posts?

< Message edited by Procrustes -- 7/29/2004 11:59:32 PM >

(in reply to Flyboy)
Post #: 7
RE: Motorcycles in winter - 8/3/2004 8:50:11 PM   
RockinHarry

Winter terrain in Steel Panthers portrays more of a "light snow" ground condition and units generally just spend one extra movement point (depends upon weather setting, see farther below) while entering most hexes. Not much for motorcycle troops as they are some of those units with very high movement allowance (55). Also breakdown chance appears not to be increased for "Mixed" winter terrain.

If you want more of a severe deep snow winter condition, then you can use a little tool called "Mud Machine" which is part of Ectizens scenario designer quicky tool (SDQ). You load a map, a scenario or a save game into "Mud Machine" and apply a "mud" terrain layer to any "Mixed" terrain. In fact that converts all "Mixed" terrain to "Mud" without changing any of the winter graphics and internally the map/scen/save game is preserved as a "winter" game!

Now on any such treated map, motorcycle troops (which are of the "Wheeled movement" class) will have a very difficult time when moving through those "deep snow" (erm..mud) hexes, as every move burns up 10 MP now! Breakdown chance is increased as well. Benefits for ski infantry units fortunately still apply (-1 MP/move). Above said counts for good (clear/cloudy) weather. If weather is really bad (snow/blizzard), upto 2 additional MP are burned per hex moving.

On any map "tweaked" as mentioned above, your troops now need to rely more on a road net if present.

Ectizens scenario designer quicky tool (SDQ) s/b available at the SPWAW Depot. It´s easy to use, even if you´re NOT editing or designing scenarios usually.

http://www.spwaw.com/

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Procrustes)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Motorcycles in winter Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI